• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Prostitution

Should prostitution be illegal?

• Yes

Votes: 34 52.3%
  • No

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • Only under certain circumstances [Please post]

Votes: 7 10.8%

• Total voters

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

vauge said:

I tend to lean libertarian on issues like this. With regulation prostitution should probably be legal. Like drugs, it's not going to go away because we pass laws against it. Seems to work okay in Nevada. And tax revenues from it could be beneficial. And it would be easier to protect both prostitutes & their clients. Truthfully I don't know much about it and haven't given it too much thought. Thus my thoughts about it are flimsy & open to adjustment.

Of course it should be illegal. It may be hard to stop but, that doesn't mean we should accept it. I don't care what the tax revenues are like. A sure way for a prostitute to not be harmed is to not have sex with a stranger. Making prostitution legal would be the easy way out.

I'll go on the record as saying prostitution should be legal, as long as we can keep the Federal government out of it...they tend to screw everything up.
(Excuse the pun)

Hoot

If there is anything liberatarian about me, that would be that I think prostitution should be legal. What two people do in private should remain that way.

Keeping prostitution illegal because it can prevent STDs from spreading to a wider popullation.

Epiphany....

Legalize prostitution, tax the hell out of it (hell yes, pun intended), use the revenues to provide sex & reproductive education and free & easy access to birth control to all Americans, dramatically lower the number of abortions, re-educate people on the immorality of abortion prompting a revolutionary trend in the use of safe sex techniques and birth control, outlaw abortion because people (finally) understand the value of a life (all life) and besides, by now, it is largely obsolete.
All while protecting both our women (and men!) in the business of prostitution and their clients from abuse, crime, STDs, and embarrasing moments on their local tv news broadcasts.

And then we'll re-think war and the death penalty (it'd only be natural).

I can just picture Jimmy Swaggart swooning at the prospect. You know that sound Homer Simpson makes when he thinks about his favorite foods...aaaauuurrrrrrgggghhhhhhh w/ a little drool.....legally bonkable prostitutes AND the end of abortion in America? It'd be like a message from God.

Legalize prostitution, tax the hell out of it (hell yes, pun intended), use the revenues to provide sex & reproductive education and free & easy access to birth control to all Americans, dramatically lower the number of abortions, re-educate people on the immorality of abortion prompting a revolutionary trend in the use of safe sex techniques and birth control, outlaw abortion because people (finally) understand the value of a life (all life) and besides, by now, it is largely obsolete.
All while protecting both our women (and men!) in the business of prostitution and their clients from abuse, crime, STDs, and embarrasing moments on their local tv news broadcasts
Absolutely!

I see no problem with prostitution. I don't have to hire one, I don't have to be one. If I want one, they could have some sort of system setup to test for STDs, etc. and you have to go in every certain amount of time and before you hire a prostitute.

Not my problem really, and they could stop wasting cops time on that also.

vauge said:
If there is anything liberatarian about me, that would be that I think prostitution should be legal. What two people do in private should remain that way.

Yeah....try telling that to Bill and Monica! LOL

Hoot

Hoot said:
Yeah....try telling that to Bill and Monica! LOL

Hoot

ooooohhhhhhh...snap! Bah da bing!
and so and and so forth

Sorry, vauge, but ya gotta admit that's a good one. :D

LOL.... good point.

Its not the act that I cared about, it was lieing under oath. The media blew that WAY out of proportion and a few weeks ago I relized that he did not lie nor did he answer the question.

vauge said:
I relized that he did not lie nor did he answer the question.

And the man is a politician....therefore he acted just as should be expected. ;)

And what about the beer test...who would you rather sit down to a beer with, vauge? Clinton or Bush?

I think my choice is clear....Hillary, of course. :D

You'd need beer for me to look at her with no disgust.

heyjoeo said:
You'd need beer for me to look at her with no disgust.

Something tells me you are not of legal drinking age anyway.

Sheesh...what the hell has Hillary done to make so many people have such a strong opinion about her?

Was universal healthcare THAT much of an offense to the American psyche?

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe sexism is still stuck in the craw of Americans, men & women. I don't see any other reason for the stark over-reaction to her as a figure in American politics.

Brothels should be allowed to operate legally, so long as certain regulatory requirements are met, such as verified age and good health of sex workers and sanitation of the facility. Streetwalking prostitution should remain illegal because it is much more difficult to police and because it is a public nuisance.

mixedmedia said:
Something tells me you are not of legal drinking age anyway.

Sheesh...what the hell has Hillary done to make so many people have such a strong opinion about her?

Was universal healthcare THAT much of an offense to the American psyche?

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe sexism is still stuck in the craw of Americans, men & women. I don't see any other reason for the stark over-reaction to her as a figure in American politics.

Hehehe I was talking about her apparence. You'd be lying to me also if you said you didn't drink underage :)

not only is prostitution morally disgracing but also it hurts society it spreads disease like wildfire (even w/ protection) and lets face it also ties into drugs and other problems in society

this needs to be illegal

Prostitution ties into drugs only because both are illegal. If prostitution was legalized in brothels and the workers were regulated, this problem would go away.

As for prostitution being immoral, that is an issue that should be decided at the personal level. If a single man wants to pay $50 for whatever, who am I to say that he cannot engage in such a contract with another consenting adult? If the man is married, then he must weigh in his own mind whether or not the few minutes of pleasure are worth the potential damage to his family.

even though its true that govt should stay out of strictly moral decisions it has been proven that there is no real prtoection against the spread of disease so it should still be illegal

Jufarius87 said:
even though its true that govt should stay out of strictly moral decisions it has been proven that there is no real prtoection against the spread of disease so it should still be illegal
You have just contradicted yourself because you aren't being intellectually honest. If government should stay out of strictly moral decisions, then it shouldn't care whether or not two consenting adults have sex with each other for money.

If it is truly the spread of disease that concerns you, I would suggest that regulation and regular health inspections would minimize that risk. Think about it for a minute. How many STDs are spread daily through sex that has nothing to do with prostitution? Should that be illegal, too? There will always be a risk associated with sex. The risk of going to jail shouldn't be one of them.

you have to admit though that prostitution spreads disease much faster than regulerly consenual sex because in (most) sexual situations you are intimate and know the person prostitution is haphazardly sleeping with anyone and you dont know their disease status not to mention the emotional and physcological damage done to people in that "profession"

and i dont think i contradicted my self because i said issues that strictly have a moral purpose people are hurt in prostituion whether it is catching a disease or some whack job kills a prostitute so it is still a govt issue to if nessacary restrain

umm i dont think it should be illegal but yea i dont endorse sex before marraige where would aids and herpes be if people were monogamous?

legalizing prostituion would signify that the govt would be giving it the ok making education about it kind of a moot point and hypocritical i would also like to point out that there is nothing that protects against disease (only pregnancy) so we wouldnt be protecting anyone by legalizing prostitution then educating people about it

Jufarius87 said:
legalizing prostituion would signify that the govt would be giving it the ok

Prostitution is already legal, such as in certain counties in Nevada.
Again, let the states decide.
Keep 'Big Government' out of our lifes.
Isn't that one of the Republican mantras?

depends on what wing of the republican party both wings of the party dont want big govt in concern to big buisness but u have those republicans who could care less on social issues as long as taxes are low and they are libertarian on social issues then you have ( president bush) evangelical christians and others who want tough control on social issues

Back
Top Bottom