• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Prostitution in the Americas

Viking11

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Why is prostitution legal in every Spanish and Portuguese-speaking country in the Americas but illegal in every English, French and Dutch-speaking country in the Americas?

Prostitution-Americas.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_by_country

Do you not have access to google?

Why is prostitution legal in every Spanish and Portuguese-speaking country in the Americas but illegal in every English, French and Dutch-speaking country in the Americas?

Prostitution-Americas.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_by_country

Why is the age of consent 18 only in america and a tiny handfull of countries, but 12-16 in most of the world, why are people beheaded in some countries for using drugs but get jail time or rehab in other countries. Why is rape a serious offense in some countries but a joke in other countries.

It is called morality, and morality to an extent is in the eye of the beholder.

Why is the age of consent 18 only in america and a tiny handfull of countries, but 12-16 in most of the world, why are people beheaded in some countries for using drugs but get jail time or rehab in other countries. Why is rape a serious offense in some countries but a joke in other countries.

It is called morality, and morality to an extent is in the eye of the beholder.

Actually in the majority of U.S. States the age of consent is 16. Several others it is 17.

Just a point of information.

Very few people notice stuff like this, so it's pretty difficult to find the answers on Google.

Actually in the majority of U.S. States the age of consent is 16. Several others it is 17.

Just a point of information.

Yeah but they have alot of stipulations, often complex like within 3 years of age blahblah like a 19 year old with a 16 year old would be legal, but a 21 year old with a 16 year old would get 20 years in prison. Most of what I know about age of consent involved soldiers who got in trouble while I was active army.

Had a soldier who was 21 who went with a 16 year old, well he broke up with her and her parents mad that their golden ticket to get her out of their house was taken away reported him. Only thing that saved her was that she turned 17 and filed to the courts to be legally independant of them and dropped the charges. In this state had he been 2 years younger, the legal system would have laughed at his charges.

Oh yeah we ragged on him the entire deployment, when he would hit on a woman we would yell hey she is too old for you she is 20.

I think there are a couple outliers there.

French Guiana speaks French ... it's colored blue.
Belize speaks English ... it's also colored blue.

Are the English & French speaking countries Common law systems and the Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries Civil law systems?

I think there are a couple outliers there.

French Guiana speaks French ... it's colored blue.
Belize speaks English ... it's also colored blue.

Are the English & French speaking countries Common law systems and the Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries Civil law systems?

The common vs civil law thing makes a difference, Like for example france last I checked was civil law, england and america were common law, and countries under both empires vary after independance.

For those that do not know, common law means prior court ruling set precedence, while civil law rules off a constitution, or a set of laws, based off the courts opinion, and is not bound by prior rulings on the subject.

Very few people notice stuff like this, so it's pretty difficult to find the answers on Google.

Some questions are not supposed to be asked in a politically correct society like ours.

Some societies, for example the Nevada legislature and the societies of Spain and Portugal, are a bit more accepting of normal human urges, and see the criminal sanction as being harmful in the long run.

Some questions are not supposed to be asked in a politically correct society like ours.

Some societies, for example the Nevada legislature and the societies of Spain and Portugal, are a bit more accepting of normal human urges, and see the criminal sanction as being harmful in the long run.

My guess is some countries view prostitution as a victimless activity and others want to make it "victimful."

My guess is some countries view prostitution as a victimless activity and others want to make it "victimful."
Both prostitution and homosexuals practice are voluntary actions between two adult human beings. Those who support criminalization of prostitution do not need to condemn those countries in the world having punishment against homosexual practice. It is a shame that some coutries/states criminalize prostitution and/or homosexual practice.

Isn't it like 12 in Arkansas?

It used to be , if you had parental consent.. That's changed to 16..

The laws in the U.S. are such a mish mash, if you are over 21, no matter where , even if it's legal, it's better to make sure the person is 18 in any case.

Many places it is '16, unless you are in a position of authority over the minor' (I.e. this covers teacher/student relationships).

It used to be , if you had parental consent.. That's changed to 16..

It was intended as something of a joke, not to be taken seriously. Sorry, apparently I was not clear and my joke landed with a thud.

It was intended as something of a joke, not to be taken seriously. Sorry, apparently I was not clear and my joke landed with a thud.

Yet, it was true at one point!!!! In Mexico (at least in 2009), it's 12 now. and it's 14 in Canada. I do know the laws are screwed up in the U.S.

Back
Top Bottom