• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Prosecutors want 'substantial term of imprisonment' for Michael Cohen

Status
Not open for further replies.

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
New interesting development as I said earlier today would come...

"After cheating the IRS for years, lying to banks and to Congress, and seeking to criminally influence the Presidential election, Cohen's decision to plead guilty -- rather than seek a pardon for his manifold crimes -- does not make him a hero," prosecutors for the southern district wrote.

In its filing, Mueller's office says that Cohen took "significant steps" to help the investigation and has accepted responsibility for his crimes. It argues any sentence he serves should run concurrently.​

Just a reminder to everyone: There were TWO memos filed today by different groups.

One filed by Mueller's team that made commentary that Cohen "significant steps" to help the investigation and little on sentencing.
One filed by federal prosecutors from New York state that lambasted Cohen's actions as indisputably criminal and asked for substantial prison time.

Last edited:
Message to other people like Corsi and Stone don't trust prosecutor deals. Muellers team would have been better off if the SDNY had not wanted to make a name for themselves by being harsh on Cohen.

Witch hunt!@!

Trump's tweet storm today has been amazing. Even by his standards. The man is shook.

"After cheating the IRS for years, lying to banks and to Congress, and seeking to criminally influence the Presidential election, Cohen's decision to plead guilty -- rather than seek a pardon for his manifold crimes -- does not make him a hero," prosecutors for the southern district wrote.

In its filing, Mueller's office says that Cohen took "significant steps" to help the investigation and has accepted responsibility for his crimes. It argues any sentence he serves should run concurrently.​

Perhaps prison is a safer place for Cohen.....

Is there anyone who is not in favor other than the man himself?

That is a question.

Trump's tweet storm today has been amazing. Even by his standards. The man is shook.

It is more that his is pissed that he is being sabotaged by people who dont like him.

It is more that his is pissed that he is being sabotaged by people who dont like him.

He committed crimes and is terrified he's gonna face justice.

He committed crimes and is terrified he's gonna face justice.

Trump has been treated astonishingly unjustly, the injustice which Trump has seen is a fabulous window into how corrupt America has become.

Trump has been treated astonishingly unjustly, the injustice which Trump has seen is a fabulous window into how corrupt America has become.

Yeah, it is pretty unjust that a POTUS could hire a bunch of unsavory characters to be in his inner circle.

And in terms of him being treated unjustly? He is a liar of epic proportions....he gets the treatment and respect he has earned.

Yeah, it is pretty unjust that a POTUS could hire a bunch of unsavory characters to be in his inner circle.

And in terms of him being treated unjustly? He is a liar of epic proportions....he gets the treatment and respect he has earned.

He had earned none of what he got Nov 9 2016 and "NOT MY PRESIDENT!".

The refusal to allow Trump the chance to prove himself in the job has continued every day since that one.

Sentencing Memo re: Michael Cohen

Of course, they do. Look at the substantive quality of his behavior regarding his legal saga.
  1. Cohen commits his crimes.
  2. Cohen averred his innocence to the point of forcing the SDNY to raid Cohen's properties to obtain probative information about his deeds.
  3. SDNY charges him.
  4. Cohen abjures engaging in a cooperation agreement.
  5. Cohen pleads guilty.
  6. Cohen reluctantly and perfunctorily provides evidence related to his SDNY crimes.
  7. Cohen reluctantly and perfunctorily provides evidence related to his relationship and activities with Trump.
    • Note: Though it may be Cohen provided material circumstantial information to the Russia Investigation, whatever he proffered couldn't be probative for Mueller passed the Cohen matter to SDNY rather than retaining it and prosecuting it himself (or having a member of his own prosecutorial team do so).
Then Cohen and his lawyers attempted to make the case that because he did, begrudgingly and not forthcomingly, provide some useful information, the severity of his criminal behavior should be obviated to the point of Cohen receiving no jail time.

Well, no. TY, Mr. Cohen, for the info you provided; however, your behavior pattern is not that of a contrite character who recognizes the nature and impact of his criminal comportment and, in turn, acted with utmost integrity to aid and abet the discovery of the truth. You will thus "pay the piper."

He had earned none of what he got Nov 9 2016 and "NOT MY PRESIDENT!".

The refusal to allow Trump the chance to prove himself in the job has continued every day since that one.

Trump lied through his teeth throughout the election and has ramped it up since. He is the same person.

And frankly, stop lying. He IS my President.

I just think he is a lying piece of crap.

Criminals always think they're treated unjustly. I'm curious as to whether you are using "unjust" to indicate actual legal misconduct or if you're just mad that the meanies in the media aren't being friendly enough

I guess I will be referring to president trump from now on as president "individual #1" from now on.SAD! :(

I guess I will be referring to president trump from now on as president "individual #1" from now on.SAD! :(

Well you could refer to him as a felon now I guess...

The Department of Justice Calls Donald Trump a Felon

Federal prosecutors released sentencing recommendations for two alleged criminals who worked closely with Donald Trump: his lawyer Michael Cohen, and campaign manager Paul Manafort. They are filled with damning details. But the most important passage by far is this, about Trump’s fixer: “Cohen himself has now admitted, with respect to both payments, he acted in coordination with and at the direction of Individual-1.”

The payments in question, as the document explains, concern a payoff to two women who claimed to have affairs with Trump. The payments, according to prosecutors, were intended to influence the campaign, and thereby constituted violations of campaign finance law. They have not formally charged Trump with this crime — it is a sentencing report for Cohen, not Trump — but this is the U.S. Department of Justice calling Trump a criminal.

There is more. Under normal circumstances, the long list of charges federal prosecutors cited against Michael Cohen would be a political catastrophe for President Trump. One of the president’s closest associates turns out to have allegedly committed a long string of crimes, from tax evasion to making false statements to a financial institution, that would besmirch the good name of the man who worked at his side for years.

Of course Trump has no good name. But the fact that he is being called a felon by the United States government is a historic step. And it is likely the first of more to come.​

Last edited:

Federal prosecutors released sentencing recommendations for two alleged criminals who worked closely with Donald Trump: his lawyer Michael Cohen, and campaign manager Paul Manafort. They are filled with damning details. But the most important passage by far is this, about Trump’s fixer: “Cohen himself has now admitted, with respect to both payments, he acted in coordination with and at the direction of Individual-1.”

The payments in question, as the document explains, concern a payoff to two women who claimed to have affairs with Trump. The payments, according to prosecutors, were intended to influence the campaign, and thereby constituted violations of campaign finance law. They have not formally charged Trump with this crime — it is a sentencing report for Cohen, not Trump — but this is the U.S. Department of Justice calling Trump a criminal.

There is more. Under normal circumstances, the long list of charges federal prosecutors cited against Michael Cohen would be a political catastrophe for President Trump. One of the president’s closest associates turns out to have allegedly committed a long string of crimes, from tax evasion to making false statements to a financial institution, that would besmirch the good name of the man who worked at his side for years.

Of course Trump has no good name. But the fact that he is being called a felon by the United States government is a historic step. And it is likely the first of more to come.​

I love the legally-obligated-but-sometimes-entirely-worthless identity obfuscation sometimes. "Individual-1, who by then had been elected President of the United States..."

The payments in question, as the document explains, concern a payoff to two women who claimed to have affairs with Trump. The payments, according to prosecutors, were intended to influence the campaign, and thereby constituted violations of campaign finance law. They have not formally charged Trump with this crime — it is a sentencing report for Cohen, not Trump — but this is the U.S. Department of Justice calling Trump a criminal.​

This can't be stated clearly enough. The Department of Justice concluded today that the President is an unindicted criminal.

If this had happened in any previous administration the President would have been forced by his party to resign by the end of the week. Will Republicans say anything at all tomorrow?

This can't be stated clearly enough. The Department of Justice concluded today that the President is an unindicted criminal.

If this had happened in any previous administration the President would have been forced by his party to resign by the end of the week. Will Republicans say anything at all tomorrow?

Not even Special Council Mueller. The President's own Department of Justice called him this.

I-1, for short.

Last edited:

He will always be #2 to me.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom