• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Proposed Republican Bill Would Cut All Food Benefits From Needy Americans

Campbell

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I wonder how that 13.6% of Americans will vote....NOT

It's a documented fact that 170,000 American veterans are drawing food stamps. That's so obviously pitiful that only Fox News and their anchors will attempt to justify it.

Last edited:

It's a documented fact that 170,000 American veterans are drawing food stamps. That's so obviously pitiful that only Fox News and their anchors will attempt to justify it.
Whose to say the states or the cities wouldn't continue these programs?

I wonder where you got that number of veteran voters considering that only about 10% of the U.S. adult population ever served in the military (21.5 million) and a good number of those folks do not draw food stamps. More nonsense without links to support your "documented fact". How many of those verterans will still collect food stamps after the cuts?

The politics and demographics of food stamp recipients | Pew Research Center

I wonder where you got that number of veteran voters considering that only about 10% of the U.S. adult population ever served in the military (21.5 million) and a good number of those folks do not draw food stamps. More nonsense without links to support your "documented fact". How many of those verterans will still collect food stamps after the cuts?

What I posted is facts. That's one thing Republicans and Fox News know nothing about. Keep on losing those elections....we love it.

So just out of curiosity, what do they think these people would do if they were not getting this assistance? Support like this seems to imply that people are "choosing" food stamps over other options. What might those be?

So just out of curiosity, what do they think these people would do if they were not getting this assistance? Support like this seems to imply that people are "choosing" food stamps over other options. What might those be?

Why would they care? most of them have it made and adhere to the "I've Got Mine...Now You Get Yours" position.

Why would they care? most of them have it made and adhere to the "I've Got Mine...Now You Get Yours" position.

They must at least have an answer to the question. Is it that they think people will be forced to find means that they simply haven't because food stamps is easier? I can't imagine they don't offer some kind of response to this question. Or is this like that whole faith first concept in Christianity. (You know, if you don't see evidence of Gods presence in your life then you don't have enough faith) So, if food doesn't magically appear on your table the only possible explanation is that your not trying hard enough it couldn't just be that there is no food. You failed, that's the only possible reason why you're hungry?

They must at least have an answer to the question. Is it that they think people will be forced to find means that they simply haven't because food stamps is easier? I can't imagine they don't offer some kind of response to this question. Or is this like that whole faith first concept in Christianity. (You know, if you don't see evidence of Gods presence in your life then you don't have enough faith) So, if food doesn't magically appear on your table the only possible explanation is that your not trying hard enough it couldn't just be that there is no food. You failed, that's the only possible reason why you're hungry?

SHucks.....the biggest bible thumpers in the country are the ones who want to end any aid to the poor, the disabled, the wounded, the elderly. I've read the bible from cover to cover and the new testament no less than ten times. Anybody who wants to be rich and ignore the poor need to change their reading glasses. What the book says about folks like that is that they are in danger of roasting on the rotisserie while they scream and cry throughout all eternity. 'Course a bunch of tight knit camel herders who believed in witches and thought the earth was flat is the only reference.

link?

SHucks.....the biggest bible thumpers in the country are the ones who want to end any aid to the poor, the disabled, the wounded, the elderly. I've read the bible from cover to cover and the new testament no less than ten times. Anybody who wants to be rich and ignore the poor need to change their reading glasses. What the book says about folks like that is that they are in danger of roasting on the rotisserie while they scream and cry throughout all eternity. 'Course a bunch of tight knit camel herders who believed in witches and thought the earth was flat is the only reference.

Awwwww the delicious hypocrisy of it all.

Awwwww the delicious hypocrisy of it all.

LOL! They've been doing it for 2000 years so by now they should be good at it. Don't you just love that multi-millionaire Oh Really making another few millions on his "Killing Jesus"

Luke 16:19-31

The Rich Man and Lazarus

19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

"..A majority of food-stamp families with an able-bodied adult do work, and more than 60% of such families work when they have children. They just don’t get paid enough to feed their families. SNAP is therefore principally a program to subsidize cheapskate employers like Walmart that don’t give employees enough salary to live on. It’s actually been called “the Walmart Syndrome.”...

A decade ago Sally Lieber, a member of the California assembly, made public a Walmart handout instructing employees how to verify their employment status while applying for food stamps, Medicaid, and Temporary Assistance For Needy Families (the federal government’s cash assistance program)—all programs that you would think anyone lucky enough to work for the nation’s most profitable company would have little need for.

A report recently released by the Democratic staff of the House Education and Workforce committee estimated that workers employed by a single Walmart Supercenter in Wisconsin soaked up somewhere between $96,000 and $220,000 annually in food stamp benefits, and somewhere between $905,000 and $1.7 million annually in total federal assistance. That’s somewhere between $3000 and $6000 that taxpayers are subsidizing Walmart per employee for not paying what the federal government considers a minimally decent wage...."

Who’s dependent on food stamps? Cheapskate corporations

Based on this, I think I see the outcome:
Despite the divide between Republicans and Democrats over food stamps, lawmakers in the House and the Senate are expected to move quickly to try to write a farm bill that includes both food stamps and agricultural programs.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev, said Thursday, ""House Republicans' vote to deny nutrition assistance to hungry, low-income Americans is shameful. The Senate will never pass such hateful, punitive legislation."

If Congress cannot pass a bill, the food stamp program would continue in its present state, with no cuts.

So, it looks like this is 100% posturing. The Tea Party can claim victory while nothing actually changes. The Farm Bill, which is at least partially subsidies to large Corporations will have to be passed because that affects influential people. But I'm pretty sure "the food stamp program would continue in its present state, with no cuts" is what will actually happen.

The show must go on.

LOL! They've been doing it for 2000 years

I know, I know. I have several sisters that claim to be Christians but are some of the harshest and most unChristlike people I know. People who use this pseudo faith cloak themselves in it thinking it makes them beyond reproach so they can do their evil deeds or pursue their selfish accumulations. And yes, it is an ages old technique to use fear of challenging the self proclaimed holy to discourage anyone from confronting them in their hypocrisies. (****ers) It never ceases to amaze me that people fall for this though. Even when the hypocrisy is blinding.

"..A majority of food-stamp families with an able-bodied adult do work, and more than 60% of such families work when they have children. They just don’t get paid enough to feed their families. SNAP is therefore principally a program to subsidize cheapskate employers like Walmart that don’t give employees enough salary to live on. It’s actually been called “the Walmart Syndrome.”...

A decade ago Sally Lieber, a member of the California assembly, made public a Walmart handout instructing employees how to verify their employment status while applying for food stamps, Medicaid, and Temporary Assistance For Needy Families (the federal government’s cash assistance program)—all programs that you would think anyone lucky enough to work for the nation’s most profitable company would have little need for.

A report recently released by the Democratic staff of the House Education and Workforce committee estimated that workers employed by a single Walmart Supercenter in Wisconsin soaked up somewhere between $96,000 and $220,000 annually in food stamp benefits, and somewhere between $905,000 and $1.7 million annually in total federal assistance. That’s somewhere between $3000 and $6000 that taxpayers are subsidizing Walmart per employee for not paying what the federal government considers a minimally decent wage...."

Who’s dependent on food stamps? Cheapskate corporations

It's a big part of the Right's plan for a Lord/Serf society. It's been going on since the B Movies of the gipper began to make some serious bucks.....he hated taxes.

I know, I know. I have several sisters that claim to be Christians but are some of the harshest and most unChristlike people I know. People who use this pseudo faith cloak themselves in it thinking it makes them beyond reproach so they can do their evil deeds or pursue their selfish accumulations. And yes, it is an ages old technique to use fear of challenging the self proclaimed holy to discourage anyone from confronting them in their hypocrisies. (****ers) It never ceases to amaze me that people fall for this though. Even when the hypocrisy is blinding.

Have you noticed that the new Pope Francis has done a complete reversal on birth control, Gays and Women holding positions of authority in the church? One thing can be banked on.....when the church finances become a little scant they change the rules.....always have, always will.

They ignored slavery for thousands of years and sometimes accommodated it.

They believed in witches ie the murder of hundreds of thousands of innocent young women.

They would not allow a woman to have any role in the church activities and preached that they had to be subservient to their husbands.

Gays were sinning and had to be ostracized by the church.

No form of birth control was allowed.

They preached billions of hell fire and brimstone sermons and now they are trying to convince people that the advent of a burning hell was an error in translation. I wouldn't trust the church in a ****house with a muzzle on.

Without reservation each time their gifts and donations began to fail they've changed the rules.

Cuts in House Leadership SNAP Proposal Would Affect Millions of Low-Income Americans — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Eligibility Cuts for Jobless Workers Could Affect 170,000 Low-Income Veterans

Substantial numbers of low-income veterans are among those who would be affected by the legislation. Census data indicate that approximately 900,000 veterans receive SNAP assistance each month. (This figure is almost surely understated, because Census data do not capture SNAP receipt by homeless veterans — who, like most other homeless individuals aren’t included in the Census survey — and understate the overall number of people receiving SNAP.)

An estimated 170,000 of those 900,000 veterans could be affected by the two provisions of the House proposal that would place food assistance for jobless workers at risk.

The first of these, the “Southerland” provision, would encourage states to terminate assistance to non-elderly jobless adults (and their families) who do not find work or an opening in a workfare or job training program. According to the Census data, about 120,000 veterans could be at risk of losing SNAP under this provision. The second is the provision that would require states to terminate food aid after three months to unemployed people aged 18 to 50 not raising minor children who live in areas of high unemployment and cannot find a job or a place in a work or job training program. According to the Census data, about 50,000 veterans could be at risk of losing SNAP under this provision.

Other cuts in the bill, including the “categorical eligibility” cut targeted at low-income working families with high housing or child care costs (described below), could affect additional veterans and their families.

Back
Top Bottom