• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Proposed law would give legal status to undocumented farmworkers

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From United Press International

Jan. 18 (UPI) -- Democratic lawmakers from California have introduced bills in both houses of Congress that would give legal status to undocumented farmworkers in the country.

The proposed legislation has widespread support from American farmers who worry about losing their workers.

"It would be a great thing if it got passed," said Brian Garwood, the owner of Garwood Orchards, a fruit farm in northern Indiana. "I just don't have a lot of hope anymore that that will happen."

Legislation like this has been proposed before and never gets far, he said.

COMMENT:-

As I read it (and I will admit that I could be wrong) this proposed legislation:

1. allows those who want to work the opportunity to work;
  2. allows those who want the workers the opportunity to get the workers;
  3. sets up a situation whereby the workers will pay taxes (that go toward benefits that they likely won't receive);
  4. sets up a situation whereby the workers coming into the country can be tracked;
  5. likely provides some "worker protection" benefits (that the workers never had before); and
  6. doesn't provide a "path to citizenship".

As near as I can tell, around 39.5 (+/-3.5)% of all Americans won't be able to find a single, positive, thing about the proposed legislation.

Jan. 18 (UPI) -- Democratic lawmakers from California have introduced bills in both houses of Congress that would give legal status to undocumented farmworkers in the country.

The proposed legislation has widespread support from American farmers who worry about losing their workers.

"It would be a great thing if it got passed," said Brian Garwood, the owner of Garwood Orchards, a fruit farm in northern Indiana. "I just don't have a lot of hope anymore that that will happen."

As I read it (and I will admit that I could be wrong) this proposed legislation:

3. sets up a situation whereby the workers will pay taxes (that go toward benefits that they likely won't receive);
  4. sets up a situation whereby the workers coming into the country can be tracked;
  5. likely provides some "worker protection" benefits (that the workers never had before); and

As near as I can tell, around 39.5 (+/-3.5)% of all Americans won't be able to find a single, positive, thing about the proposed legislation.

Instead of creating a new program, wouldn't it be better to fix the current program?

Well they be protected by the same rights American workers have? Minimum wage, overtime, etc?

If so, then I am all for this. My only question to some of the promises made is, how?

We already have work visas.

We already have work visas.

Which must be granted by the federal government, which is currently headed by someone who actively despises immigrants and has dramatically cut down on legal immigration mechanisms like work visas. They also usually have to be granted before one enters the country, making them irrelevant for American farmers trying to keep their work force in tact.

Which must be granted by the federal government, which is currently headed by someone who actively despises immigrants and has dramatically cut down on legal immigration mechanisms like work visas. They also usually have to be granted before one enters the country, making them irrelevant for American farmers trying to keep their work force in tact.

Thank you for confirming we already have a system in place.

TRUMP CARD noted and rejected.

We could review and renew the Vaquero program of the 1940s.

The devil is always in the details. Is the "permit to work" limited to a specific occupation, job description, job location and/or specific employer? The article noted that pay for such work varies greatly - would a "permitted worker" be free to switch jobs for an offer of higher pay/benefits? IRRC, the H1B and H2B visas are tied to a specific job/employer combination - thus the "permitted worker" must remain employed to the same "spomsoring" employer (by contractual obligation) or could (would?) be deported.

Thank you for confirming we already have a system in place.
TRUMP CARD noted and rejected.
We could review and renew the Vaquero program of the 1940s.

Apparently you neither read or understood my post. I was pointing out how stupid your comment was because it doesn't even remotely apply to their situation. The state of California is taking into their hands what Donald has refused to.

Apparently you neither read or understood my post. I was pointing out how stupid your comment was because it doesn't even remotely apply to their situation. The state of California is taking into their hands what Donald has refused to.

The state of California has no right to "take matters into their hands" in regards to the border. The border is a Federal issue. As has been reiterated by California every time ICE asks for cooperation in deporting criminal aliens.

PS. Is this where I call your post stupid?

The state of California has no right to "take matters into their hands" in regards to the border. The border is a Federal issue. As has been reiterated by California every time ICE asks for cooperation in deporting criminal aliens.

They're not opening the border, they're offering Californian "work visas" for gainfully employed workers already within their state and our borders. You're really not paying attention are you little mouse?

Seems California only considers immigration a Federal issue when it suits them. I would be more than happy if California decided to assist and enforce immigration laws.

They're not opening the border, they're offering Californian "work visas" for gainfully employed workers already within their state and our borders. You're really not paying attention are you little mouse?

If they are here illegally employment is not allowed.

Whatever employment garnered was likely done with forged documents....

So you want to reward criminal acts with employment.

Got it.

Rewarding criminals. The California way.

Federal law may disagree.

What are you talking about? This is federal legislation, not "Californian work visas".

The devil is always in the details. Is the "permit to work" limited to a specific occupation, job description, job location and/or specific employer? The article noted that pay for such work varies greatly - would a "permitted worker" be free to switch jobs for an offer of higher pay/benefits? IRRC, the H1B and H2B visas are tied to a specific job/employer combination - thus the "permitted worker" must remain employed to the same "spomsoring" employer (by contractual obligation) or could (would?) be deported.

Good questions - to none of which do I have answers.

I would think that "occupational field" might be a reasonable limitation (i.e. "Agricultural Workers" would only be allowed to work on farms, but would be able to move from farm to farm and from crop to crop but couldn't take jobs cleaning the guest facilities at Golf Courses).

PS. Is this where I call your post stupid?

Did you know that an arguable case could be made for California to grant "California immigrant status" to people who were intent on applying for "California State Citizenship"?

"**!*W*!*T*!*F*!** - - 'STATE citizenship'?" you ask.

Uh huh, read the Constitution of the United States of America very closely and you will see that "State Citizenship" arises PRIOR to "American Citizenship" and that, while "State Citizenship" confers "American Citizenship", "American Citizenship" does NOT confer "State Citizenship".

It is on such legal theories that several generations of lawyers pay for Porsches.

California, rewarding criminals again.

Did you know that an arguable case could be made for California to grant "California immigrant status" to people who were intent on applying for "California State Citizenship"?

"**!*W*!*T*!*F*!** - - 'STATE citizenship'?" you ask.

Uh huh, read the Constitution of the United States of America very closely and you will see that "State Citizenship" arises PRIOR to "American Citizenship" and that, while "State Citizenship" confers "American Citizenship", "American Citizenship" does NOT confer "State Citizenship".

It is on such legal theories that several generations of lawyers pay for Porsches.

Definitely food for thought. One reason why (even though we may disagree on some things) I enjoy your threads...

I don't put anything past California... They have a Democrat super majority and have been passing all kinds of silliness recently.

Definitely food for thought. One reason why (even though we may disagree on some things) I enjoy your threads...

I don't put anything past California... They have a Democrat super majority and have been passing all kinds of silliness recently.

There is an old military adage that runs along the lines of "Think of the one worst thing that your enemy might do to you, and then make the certainty of that thing happening a part of your basic plan.".

I had a reputation for being able to come up with "one worst things" that no one else had thought of. I also, whenever possible, had "Plan A", "Plan B", "Plan C", "Plan D" and "Plan F (Universal)". Once I was asked by a Brigadier General what "Plan F (Universal)" was so I told him it was

- "Fake It." -

He never asked whether I had alternate plans after that.

Back
Top Bottom