• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Proposed FL airport is "a rollercoaster ride"

Tedminator

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
HAH Perfect! the off-ramp I take to get to get to this airport is so high it already feels like a rollercoaster. this new feature would be awesome!

Fort Lauderdale runway: Drawing shows new, sloped airport runway rising 65 feet - southflorida.com
Wednesday, Nov. 10, 2010

A stunning drawing of a proposed new runway at Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport shows a take-off and landing strip rising 65 feet in the air. Revelations of the six-story-tall runway, much taller and with a greater slope than any runway Broward County has previously discussed publicly, brought new controversy and renewed attacks on an expansion of the airport that is two decades in the making.

57517070.jpg

Proposed 6-story runway at Fort Lauderdale airport draws ire: It looks 'like a roller coaster ride'

Couldn't pay me enough to get on a plane that took off on that.

I agree with Billy Connelly; if god had meant man to fly, he'd buy us all the tickets.

Of course over a distance of 8000 feet (assuming a constant slope) this would equate to a slope of less than half a degree.

even if only the last 1/4 of the runway (2000 feet) was sloped the angle for the 65 foot rise would be less than 2 degrees.

If the runway is gently sloped over 8,000 feet, the slope is 0.8%. The maximum slope for aircraft operations is generally 2%. Sometimes less, but never more. So, if the runway as a sudden change in the middle, it would probably exceed 2% and become unusable. I would assume that since the proposed runway is not just some redneck saying "if we sloped that thar runway we could get an extry tree hunded feet out of it" that the runway will be consistantly slopped from one end to the other.

Of course over a distance of 8000 feet (assuming a constant slope) this would equate to a slope of less than half a degree.
even if only the last 1/4 of the runway (2000 feet) was sloped the angle for the 65 foot rise would be less than 2 degrees.

If the runway is gently sloped over 8,000 feet, the slope is 0.8%. The maximum slope for aircraft operations is generally 2%. Sometimes less, but never more. So, if the runway as a sudden change in the middle, it would probably exceed 2% and become unusable. I would assume that since the proposed runway is not just some redneck saying "if we sloped that thar runway we could get an extry tree hunded feet out of it" that the runway will be consistantly slopped from one end to the other.

huh so it'll work. well in that case, I want it fersure! It'd be great to have an unusual airport :)

Issue:

Sometimes the wind blows the other direction. Downslope landing on an airliner? Fun!

Not much of a downslope.

Actually, a 0.8% slope is considered to be quite substantial. Just looking at the aircraft I'm flying (not an airline, but a corporate jet) the 0.8% slope would increase the landing distance by about 40%....give or take.

Back
Top Bottom