• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Proposal: Drug laws should be decided at the state level.

Phys251

Purge evil with Justice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
There is a growing movement in the United States to loosen recreational drug laws. Curiously, it tends to gather support from both sides of the aisle, making this one of the few current political events to do so. The reasons why people support this have been discussed at length, so I won't go into them here.

However, others may wonder what would happen if recreational drug laws simply disappeared. Though evidence may exist that decriminalizing drugs does not lead to a significant increase in their use, opponents tend not to accept it.

So I propose a compromise: Recreational drug laws should be decided at the state level. If Mississippi wants to ban anything stronger than caffeine, they should. If Oregon wants to legalize just about everything out there, they should. Let's relieve some of the pressure from people, from police forces, and from states, to work with laws that not everyone agrees with.

Shouldn't it be done on whatever level decides criminal law?

There is a growing movement in the United States to loosen recreational drug laws. Curiously, it tends to gather support from both sides of the aisle, making this one of the few current political events to do so. The reasons why people support this have been discussed at length, so I won't go into them here.

However, others may wonder what would happen if recreational drug laws simply disappeared. Though evidence may exist that decriminalizing drugs does not lead to a significant increase in their use, opponents tend not to accept it.

So I propose a compromise: Recreational drug laws should be decided at the state level. If Mississippi wants to ban anything stronger than caffeine, they should. If Oregon wants to legalize just about everything out there, they should. Let's relieve some of the pressure from people, from police forces, and from states, to work with laws that not everyone agrees with.

You mean actually use the tenth amendment and use federalism ?!

The risk of state by state legalization is that the states with the least restrictive laws will attract the heaviest drug users to that state. Any problems that are caused by the presence of these new residents will be blamed on the repeal of prohibition. It would be best if the laws are the same throughout the USA so that there isn't a concentration of drug users or drug tourists in just a few states.

I'd like to see the Supreme Court rule that drug laws are violation of our right to privacy, as they have already done with abortion and sodomy laws.

One of the major problem with the nations of the south African continent ...is the fact that they see themselves as autonomous nations. It sounds great on paper....but it has kept that part of the world weak, and vulnerable.

I would love for you guys to take this ...evil federal government ...states right ..only ideology ...as far as you can take it so you see what America would then look like.

Go ahead, let's have States do whatever they need ...when-ever they want. Let's for example have Texas drivers ....drive on the LEFT-SIDE of the road just because they want to be different.

You keep moving with this state rights issue .....and taking a trip from Alabama to Arizona for example ...would be like moving to India.

In my view ....the voting process in every State should look the same. Instead even within a State voting process at point A ...is very different at point B ...10 miles away.

The country will literally sieve up if this continues as every little goon with a pet peeve and influence enact ridiculous laws all over the place.

And make no mistake .....when it comes to personal issues ....the people on the right with their ridiculous talking-snake religion .....enact some of the most arcane ...bed-room ...pee-pee laws!!!

The trouble is...who decides what is and isn't a recreational drug? Is oxycodone a recreational drug? Marijuana has pharmaceutical use and recreational use...so does hydrocodone...so does cocaine... If we let the states decide, we will have insane patchwork where possession in one state is criminal and in the next it is AOK. It would make travelling a nightmare.

The trouble is...who decides what is and isn't a recreational drug? Is oxycodone a recreational drug? Marijuana has pharmaceutical use and recreational use...so does hydrocodone...so does cocaine... If we let the states decide, we will have insane patchwork where possession in one state is criminal and in the next it is AOK. It would make travelling a nightmare.
You mean like our gun laws ?

Back
Top Bottom