• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Property rights: Reciprication a Must.

SBu

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Western framed economies are selling out. Why is it that western states allow foreigners from countries like China, Thailand, Indonesia, etc. to buy property willy nilly in their states, when the opposite is not true in those countries? Equal reciprocity is a must in international relations and economics. I don't believe we should allow Chinese nationals to buy property in America if Americans cannot own real property in China.

China's Newest City: We Call It 'Detroit' - Forbes

Rich Chinese to snap up property... in Japan?

Where Rich Chinese Are Buying Real Estate - Forbes

If I wanted to "buy" in China, I would first have to seek approval from a local governing body (because no one owns land in china), and then seek a specific land use term for an extended lease. Similar laws are also in existence in many other countries. In some neighboring countries to China, these restrictions are placed on foreigners specifically for both business and real estate ventures.

Applying free market systems equally to closed economies is unfair to citizens of free market economy based countries and only supports the extension of authoritarian systems. I believe we should cut them off until they learn to play fairly under equal rules.

Western framed economies are selling out. Why is it that western states allow foreigners from countries like China, Thailand, Indonesia, etc. to buy property willy nilly in their states, when the opposite is not true in those countries? Equal reciprocity is a must in international relations and economics. I don't believe we should allow Chinese nationals to buy property in America if Americans cannot own real property in China.

China's Newest City: We Call It 'Detroit' - Forbes

Rich Chinese to snap up property... in Japan?

Where Rich Chinese Are Buying Real Estate - Forbes

If I wanted to "buy" in China, I would first have to seek approval from a local governing body (because no one owns land in china), and then seek a specific land use term for an extended lease. Similar laws are also in existence in many other countries. In some neighboring countries to China, these restrictions are placed on foreigners specifically for both business and real estate ventures.

Applying free market systems equally to closed economies is unfair to citizens of free market economy based countries and only supports the extension of authoritarian systems. I believe we should cut them off until they learn to play fairly under equal rules.

I am not quite sure I agree with the idea. True, the asymmetry is questionable. The theory seems to say that everyone loses when trade barriers are implemented and that unilateral reduction of barriers is better than no reduction. Possibly this is wrong in the particular case. But the proof is still out.

I am not quite sure I agree with the idea. True, the asymmetry is questionable. The theory seems to say that everyone loses when trade barriers are implemented and that unilateral reduction of barriers is better than no reduction. Possibly this is wrong in the particular case. But the proof is still out.

Why should we extend the benefits of open market speculation to countries that do not allow the same to foreigners? It simply doesn't make sense.

I do understand that some countries want to protect their sovereignty by limiting or outlawing the ability of foreigners (or even citizens) to own property etc. However, we should not ignore what an economic handicap that represents to our citizens when drawing up property ownership policy.

If you have two neighborhoods in a city, for example, is it economically fair for neighborhood A to have property rights in both neighborhoods while neighborhood B can only own property in that neighborhood? Clearly neighborhood B is at an economic disadvantage.

Because America is for sale.

When foreign countries own companies and businesses that many American’s purchase goods from, all of that money that would be going back into the U.S. economy is now going overseas. This leads to devastating consequences as we’re seeing now, with job losses and unsettling unemployment. It is also placing the United States in a position where we’re coming to rely on foreign governments for our needs. We’re seeing this already with China, a country with which we have an alarming trade deficit and about $1.2 trillion in debt.

http://economyincrisis.org/content/many-american-made-companies-are-now-under-foreign-control

Last edited:
Why should we extend the benefits of open market speculation to countries that do not allow the same to foreigners? It simply doesn't make sense.

I do understand that some countries want to protect their sovereignty by limiting or outlawing the ability of foreigners (or even citizens) to own property etc. However, we should not ignore what an economic handicap that represents to our citizens when drawing up property ownership policy.

If you have two neighborhoods in a city, for example, is it economically fair for neighborhood A to have property rights in both neighborhoods while neighborhood B can only own property in that neighborhood? Clearly neighborhood B is at an economic disadvantage.

The sense is that we profit by doing so. As I said, there is an outside probability that in this case it is different than the theory. Possibly certain goods like patents should be treated more strictly. But that should be proven before affronting a large and potentially dangerous nation, that would better be a friend.

And don't forget that the assets are in the USA and cannot run away.

Last edited:
The sense is that we profit by doing so. As I said, there is an outside probability that in this case it is different than the theory. Possibly certain goods like patents should be treated more strictly. But that should be proven before affronting a large and potentially dangerous nation, that would better be a friend.

And don't forget that the assets are in the USA and cannot run away.

I am arguing for a system that would be economically beneficial for Americans and western styled free market economies. You seem to be supporting an economic system that wouldn't offend the Chinese and closed economies.

America is being squeezed by it's own policies in this regard. It is time to close opportunities to people from countries that don't reciprocate the same liberal economic policies toward western free markets. If we do not, I believe we will come to regret it because we'll soon see Asian economies not as developing, but as developed and inaccessible to western free market capitalists while their citizens enjoy not only the purchasing rights, but also the purchasing power to out-buy our own citizens.

Because America is for sale.

When foreign countries own companies and businesses that many American’s purchase goods from, all of that money that would be going back into the U.S. economy is now going overseas. This leads to devastating consequences as we’re seeing now, with job losses and unsettling unemployment. It is also placing the United States in a position where we’re coming to rely on foreign governments for our needs. We’re seeing this already with China, a country with which we have an alarming trade deficit and about $1.2 trillion in debt.

Many American-Made Companies Are Now Under Foreign Control! | Economy In Crisis

It is a little disturbing how we Americans so cavalierly associate rights of American citizens with rights of 'world citizens' whatever the hell that means. I have no problem with free trade and equal real estate and business rights with countries that reciprocate those freedoms to American citizens, but it makes me sick to think of the inequity of our policies to the authoritarian or selectively closed policies of other countries.

It is a little disturbing how we Americans so cavalierly associate rights of American citizens with rights of 'world citizens' whatever the hell that means. I have no problem with free trade and equal real estate and business rights with countries that reciprocate those freedoms to American citizens, but it makes me sick to think of the inequity of our policies to the authoritarian or selectively closed policies of other countries.

Welcome to globalisation and a future without borders anyway.

I am arguing for a system that would be economically beneficial for Americans and western styled free market economies. You seem to be supporting an economic system that wouldn't offend the Chinese and closed economies.

America is being squeezed by it's own policies in this regard. It is time to close opportunities to people from countries that don't reciprocate the same liberal economic policies toward western free markets. If we do not, I believe we will come to regret it because we'll soon see Asian economies not as developing, but as developed and inaccessible to western free market capitalists while their citizens enjoy not only the purchasing rights, but also the purchasing power to out-buy our own citizens.

No, I am not much for appeasement. But I don't think it makes sense to cut one's nose off to spite one's face.

Western framed economies are selling out. Why is it that western states allow foreigners from countries like China, Thailand, Indonesia, etc. to buy property willy nilly in their states, when the opposite is not true in those countries?

Let me see if I can phrase the concept in terms that will be understood:

If Joey jumps off of a 1000-ft high cliff does that mean that you should do the same?

Let me see if I can phrase the concept in terms that will be understood:

If Joey jumps off of a 1000-ft high cliff does that mean that you should do the same?

Of course that is a false metaphor...but nice try. ;)

No, I am not much for appeasement. But I don't think it makes sense to cut one's nose off to spite one's face.

I would rather think of it as a nasal surgery to allow for deeper breath to use your analogy. How are we to continue to compete with the 2nd largest economy and the most rapidly developing region in the world 'tomorrow' if we continue to support the inequality of business and real estate investment? I think this would rather spur these countries to open up quicker benefiting both parties.

Back
Top Bottom