• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Proper response to verbal assault//threats

Ouroboros - just a question​

Are you black by any chance, and were you walking through a white community? If that is NOT the case, maybe she is just a fruitcake. Fruitcakes are best ignored.
I knew you would bring up racists shit

Twice, while walking on the street outside my residence (which I've been doing for twenty years), some foul mouthed woman I never saw before started yelling at me. The first time, because it was early Sunday and no one else was around, she followed and harangued me for roughly 20 minutes as I simply kept walking, apparently for not listening to whatever she was raving about. I did everything I could not to interact her the first time, but the second time, she again addressed me without any provocation on my part, though she only said two things because there were more cars around (no listening witnesses though).

I am informed that verbal assault is not illegal but that threats are, though without a witness, I doubt the cops will do (or will want to do) anything. I'm certainly not going to stop my walks because of this twit. I thought about taking my iphone on the walk and, if she does it a third time, threaten to take her picture and use it to bring charges against her (also a long shot, I imagine). She probably doesn't have a brain in her head and is incapable of understanding consequences, but I might be better protected if I had some documentation.
This got way off-topic because a poster brought race into it. My suggestion is to carry made around with you and get a license to carry. If you can't, carry a weapon. Crazy people cannot be reasoned with.

I'm not sure that's good advice. If you pepper spray someone who is merely blocking your path, that's a likely an assault charge.

A lot of people get themselves into trouble thinking they are 'defending' themselves when in fact they're committing crimes themselves, either by carrying a prohibited object and worse, using it in situations where it's not allowed. Generally speaking, you have to show you were defending yourself from an assault and that you had no other choice but to use force. "I was afraid he/she might do something" isn't necessarily a valid legal justification.

Back
Top Bottom