• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Prop Numbers Assigned, Marijuana Ballot Measure is Prop 19

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Get your creative juices and rhyming schemes together. Secretary of State Debra Bowen announced the proposition numbers assigned to the 10 measures that will appear on the November 2nd ballot. Of note is Prop 19, which will be followed closely across the country

That's right, folks. Legalization of weed is officially on the California ballot. What's good about this proposition if it becomes law?

1) California can tax it, thus raising badly needed money.

2) It will put a huge dent in drug lords' profits.

3) It will put law enforcement resources where they are actually needed.

4) And it will be a blow for personal freedom.

This is something that both Conservatives and Liberals need to get behind. Face it, the War on Drugs has been a complete failure, so let's now have a new war. Let's call it the War on Stupidity. Prop 19 will be an important battle in this war to wrest control of our own lives from complete idiots.

Article is here.

I hope this passes, and becomes a catalyst for a national legalization bill.

I hope this passes, and becomes a catalyst for a national legalization bill.

Bet the mormons will fund a campaign against this like they did with gay marriage :).. mormons from Utah that is!

But else I agree.. hope it passes.

I once heard someone use the argument "the war on drugs is not a failure because it is serving it's intended purpose, putting criminals in jail".

2 parts

1- If you legalize marijuana, you regulate it, you control it, you tax it, you take away the stigma, a lot of the problems go away and 2. Parents to actually BE parents, and teach their kids... MJ, like alcohol, prescription drugs, fatty foods, candy, would need to be used in moderation and responsibly.

2 parts

1- If you legalize marijuana, you regulate it, you control it, you tax it, you take away the stigma, a lot of the problems go away and 2. Parents to actually BE parents, and teach their kids... MJ, like alcohol, prescription drugs, fatty foods, candy, would need to be used in moderation and responsibly.

Plus, other nations that have legalized drugs have seen significant dropoffs in drug abuse and crime. Legalization will also cut funding for violent drug cartels.
Although I'm wondering how this law would deal with the federal ban. From what I understand, the federal classification of marijuana means the feds could technically still arrest people for use, right?

That's right, folks. Legalization of weed is officially on the California ballot. What's good about this proposition if it becomes law?

1) California can tax it, thus raising badly needed money.

2) It will put a huge dent in drug lords' profits.

3) It will put law enforcement resources where they are actually needed.

4) And it will be a blow for personal freedom.

This is something that both Conservatives and Liberals need to get behind. Face it, the War on Drugs has been a complete failure, so let's now have a new war. Let's call it the War on Stupidity. Prop 19 will be an important battle in this war to wrest control of our own lives from complete idiots.

Article is here.

I was born there...spend a lot of time there...maybe i can get registered there and vote...heck...thats the best thing Ive seen to vote 'for' in years.

Plus, other nations that have legalized drugs have seen significant dropoffs in drug abuse and crime. Legalization will also cut funding for violent drug cartels.
Although I'm wondering how this law would deal with the federal ban. From what I understand, the federal classification of marijuana means the feds could technically still arrest people for use, right?

Nope...I dont THINK they can (tho Im not a fed law scholar). See Alaska for example. People can use legally in Alaska and feds cant or dont arrest.

On the plus side...if it passes I'm buying stock in Pepsico (TacoBell) and FritoLays (doritos)!

California is leading the way again, for the rest of the country. Yes on Prop 19!

It should have been proposition 420.

It should have been proposition 420.

lol yeah... problem is the DEA can still come in as a Federal Agency and has and will continue to shut down legal pot shops in the state...

VIVA MARY JAINE!

However, isn't marijuana and drug possession a federal offense? Can a state legalize something that is illegal at the federal level? Personally I would vote no on this amendment, but I'm not in California.

However, isn't marijuana and drug possession a federal offense? Can a state legalize something that is illegal at the federal level? Personally I would vote no on this amendment, but I'm not in California.

Boo hiss.

The federal government can enforce drug laws, although the President can inform the attorney general, DEA, etc... not to arrest non violent drug users.

The federal government can enforce drug laws, although the President can inform the attorney general, DEA, etc... not to arrest non violent drug users.

Anyone explain how Alaska gets away with it? is there a law that says federal law can only be enforced int he 48 contiguous states?

Whoaaaaah Duuuuuuuuude!!!!!!

I'm not in California either, so let's do this..... Admit that California's ballots are none of our damn business, and none of the Fed's business either. :wink:

Anyone explain how Alaska gets away with it? is there a law that says federal law can only be enforced int he 48 contiguous states?

Alaskas legality is limited to possession in ones own home, and is a result of the state constitution and its guarantee to the right of privacy.

Article 1:
§ 22. Right of Privacy

The right of the people to privacy is recognized and shall not be infringed. The legislature shall implement this section. [Amended 1972]

The Alaska supreme court ruled in 1975 in Ravin V. State:

“ ...we conclude that no adequate justification for the state's intrusion into the citizen's right to privacy by its prohibition of possession of marijuana by an adult for personal consumption in the home has been shown. The privacy of the individual's home cannot be breached absent a persuasive showing of a close and substantial relationship of the intrusion to a legitimate governmental interest. Here, mere scientific doubts will not suffice. The state must demonstrate a need based on proof that the public health or welfare will in fact suffer if the controls are not applied.

Ravin v. State - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do not think this has been challenged at the federal level, and the issue ended with that case (more or less.. read the wiki article linked), and the feds are still able to enforce their laws in Alaska, but I think they are hesitant to piss on the state's constitution and upset the apple cart by busting down doors for misdemeanor posession.

The California initiative is not a Constutional issue (yet) and could face some serious hurdles, what they are doing is actually prohibited not just federally, but also by international treaty (Single Convention on Narcotic Substances). Alaska gets some wiggle room, especially when it comes to the Single Convention of Narcotic Substances because it is an issue of Constitutionality, which is an automatic exemption.

Article 36: PENAL PROVISIONS

1. (a) Subject to its constitutional limitations....

Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs - Wikisource

Whoaaaaah Duuuuuuuuude!!!!!!

Do you have anything usefull to add, or are you just going to regurgitate your standard assinine and totally useless post that you feel compelled to make in every thread that discusses this issue?

Last edited:
Do you have anything usefull to add, or are you just going to regurgitate your standard assinine and totally useless post that you feel compelled to make in every thread that discusses this issue?

Why so serious?

If the DEA can come in and over-ride state law, then there is not much use to prop 19...

Why so serious?

Because you feel compelled to use it to be a condescending ass in every thread that comes up on the issue, it does nothing to further the discussion, there is nothing witty nor humorous to it, and the shtick is old.

Last edited:

Alaska state law will not penalize you for 1oz or less in your own home. If the DEA kicks down your door in Alaska, though, they'll still hit you for it. I don't really know how that works, legally speaking.

I guess Obama could issue an executive order telling federal law enforcement agencies to ignore marijuana in California?

About the funding for cartels part, I wish it were the case, but I think its the hard drugs like cocaine that the cartels sell that this ballot measure is not going to legalize or affect.

I don't think I'm going to vote for it. I'm just against that legalizing it would mean that its ok to use, and I'm not really ok with drug use. Can you convince me otherwise?

Back
Top Bottom