• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Prop C passes overwhelmingly

zimmer

Educating the Ignorant
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Prop C passes overwhelmingly
"The citizens of the Show-Me State don't want Washington involved in their health care decisions," said Sen. Jane Cunningham, R-Chesterfield, one of the sponsors of the legislation that put Proposition C on the August ballot. She credited a grass-roots campaign involving Tea Party and patriot groups with building support for the anti-Washington proposition.

With most of the vote counted, Proposition C was winning by a ratio of nearly 3 to 1.

Missouri was the first of four states to seek to opt out of the insurance purchase mandate portion of the health care law that had been pushed by Obama. And while many legal scholars question whether the vote will be binding, the overwhelming approval gives the national GOP momentum as Arizona, Florida and Oklahoma hold similar votes during midterm elections in November.

The question now is whether the administration will respond by suing the state to block passage of the law, much as it did in Arizona recently over illegal immigration.
This bodes well for November.
I hope the administration goes against the will of the people on this too.

The Pete Stark Omnipotent Federal Government just might be seeing the first wave of a second American revolution.

Thanks Obi. We couldn't have done it without you.

Last edited:
Just think of the things we could have done without him...LOL

The Pete Stark Omnipotent Federal Government just might be seeing the first wave of a second American revolution.

Don't get too confident, Obama has a 46% approval rating (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...ministration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll). Also this, http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/partisan_trends.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Um this happened in Missouri what a surprise:roll:

In all honesty Missouri is as important as Mississippi.

Um this happened in Missouri what a surprise:roll:

In all honesty Missouri is as important as Mississippi.

Yeah, you're probably right... the only states that count are on the east and west coasts........:roll:

Yeah, you're probably right... the only states that count are on the east and west coasts........:roll:

No but basically the only states that do count are like five states or seven states, California, Texas, Florida, New York, Illinois, and maybe Pennsylvania, Michigan. They carry the burden of supporting the remaining states and their populations.

A lot of pundits have said that Missouri often carries the presidency. Some statistic linked Missouri as the state that, whoever it votes for, gets elected. Interesting slice of trivia.

Besides, it's not like Missouri only has a couple electoral votes. Now if we were talking North Dakota, sure.

Anyway, it's not just Missouri. Other states will be questioning its validity at the state level, and good on them.

A lot of pundits have said that Missouri often carries the presidency. Some statistic linked Missouri as the state that, whoever it votes for, gets elected. Interesting slice of trivia.

Besides, it's not like Missouri only has a couple electoral votes. Now if we were talking North Dakota, sure.

Anyway, it's not just Missouri. Other states will be questioning its validity at the state level, and good on them.

Missouri, historically, has been a pretty conservative place, dating to the civil war. The only two liberal places are sections of St. Louis and Kansas City. I'm not really surprised by this.

That's just typical though. The larger the city, the more liberal it is (and votes).

Even in a state like Alabama, Birmingham notoriously votes Democrat in its district. Illinois would probably vote Republican every single time if you cut out Chicago.

It really speaks volumes when the hometown people can make their unified voices louder than the major cities.

I think a "second American revolution" is a bit of an overstatement. We'll see how this is handled by the administration though. If they're able to opt out of it, I don't really see what they can do.

That's just typical though. The larger the city, the more liberal it is (and votes).

Even in a state like Alabama, Birmingham notoriously votes Democrat in its district. Illinois would probably vote Republican every single time if you cut out Chicago.

It really speaks volumes when the hometown people can make their unified voices louder than the major cities.

I think that St. Louis and Kansas City proper are pretty small in comparison to the populations of the suburbs and the rest of the state. Both cities have dealt with major population exoduses to the burbs. That's why I'm not that impressed by this as a predictor of major elections in the future.

I should note that I grew up outside of Kansas City and went to college there.

The real story here, is that Republican turnout topped the Democrats by a 2 to 1 margin. This spells "political tsunami" if this trend reflects voter enthusiasm nationally come November.

It doesn't spell "political tsunami", it's just the teeter totter. Obama is unpopular, we'll probably swing towards more Republicans. The Republicans will become unpopular, and then we'll swing back to the democrats. Meanwhile, both parties are doing essentially the same thing. It's a puppet show, nothing more. Look at them sing and dance, but nothing really changes.

I think that St. Louis and Kansas City proper are pretty small in comparison to the populations of the suburbs and the rest of the state. Both cities have dealt with major population exoduses to the burbs. That's why I'm not that impressed by this as a predictor of major elections in the future.

I should note that I grew up outside of Kansas City and went to college there.

The city of St. Louis is small physically and has a relatively small population, yet the metropolitan area has a very large population. Not being a resident of St. Louis proper does not mean people in the area are not liberal. In order to get to true surburbs in the St. Louis area, you have to get pretty far away from downtown St. Louis and that would include dozens of small cities surrounding St. Louis.

I've never lived in Missouri. I've been there. My aunt lives in Arkansas so I went through that 6 miles stretch at the southeast where it looks like a little hook. That counts, I guess.

I figured KC to be incredibly Democrat, just judging from the fact that it's a mainstay of Jazz, which is listened to mostly by blacks, which mostly vote Democrat. I mean, I love Jazz, but I know I'm in the vast minority in my race.

Also, St. Louis is supposed to be one of the worst cities in America insofar as crime, per-capita. I won't make the "degrees of separation" there, but I think you know where I'm going with it.

The missed point here is, that this will encourage OTHER states to follow suit. What's O gonna do? Sue them all? This should scare the beejezus out those dems in Miss. that supported the Obamination that is Obamacare, and will scare the Dem's in southernstates even more.

SEVENTY TWO PERCENT!

wow!

you can't get 72% of americans to agree on the weather

the show me state is never wrong, no commonwealth is more bellwether, no state outside florida, virginia and our friends in the rust belt is more battleground

we all know the dummy in the white house, despite the largeness of those lobes, is too deaf to hear

but dpforums members?

i'm so surprised

turnout is all, enthusiasm is how you win elections in america

gallup yesterday, which had obama at a new all time low of 41% approval, surveyed two to one the enthusiasm gap

44% of republicans are eager, only 22% of party pelosi, proclaims the pollster of highest repute

315,000 dems voted in missouri yesterday, 580,000 republicans

in MICHIGAN, 525,000 blues turned out, 1.05 million reds

in little old kansas, more than 4 to 1: 80,000 enlightened vs 335,000 knuckle draggers

worry

Exactly. Missouri has long been recognized as a belweather state.

In regard to prop C, it probably won't hold up in court, but it doesn't matter. This will provide a lot of momentum to removing the mandatory coverage requirement from Federal law, which is why passage was so important. I don't expect Republicans to take back either house this year, but in 2012, more Democratic seats than Republican ones will be up for grabs, and I expect the takeover of both houses to occur at that time. When it does, Republians are sure to repeal the portion of the health insurance bill that requires coverage, and it will have been non-binding elections like this one in Missouri that provided the mandate for the GOP to do it.

Last edited:
yes, this individual mandate is pernicious

YOU KNEW WHAT WAS IN THIS BILL

it will surely be taken on at the congressional level in the next session

whoever assails it, especially if he or she wins, is sure to PROFIT prodigiously, politically speaking, of course

so, we have movements of resistance breaking out all over, on every conceivable level

on the ground, we see SEVENTY TWO percent shouting show me

in the courts, there's the two dozen or so AG's, headed heroically this week by virginia's ken cuccinelli

the district judge allowed virginia's challenge to proceed

but more, the language used by judge hudson was very revealing of his disposition

the white house repeatedly denied in public that the mandate was a tax but once the issue arrived in court the admin, for legal heft, had to reverse itself

the judge appears inclined to look at the mandate as a PENALTY and not a tax

but most heavily, hudson examined the commerce clause, obama's resort and justification

more accurately, hudson studied the relationship of the clause to the fed's ambitious reach out to tap all americans to buy a very expensive product they don't want by virtually merely of their being living, breathing americans

if the commerce clause can be used to accomplish this, the judge pondered, what can't the clause be used to justify?

the electorate is agitated, we've got some movement in the courts, we've got sure legislative rewards once the house is realigned

we've got the parliamentary procedure of defunding, sure to come

did you see abc's and ap's breakdown of the new obamacare yesterday?

jack cafferty on cnn ran with it---68 grant programs, 47 new bureaucracies, 29 demo or pilot programs, 6 regulatory bodies, 6 racial review agencies...

fine---YOU KNEW WHAT WAS IN THIS BILL

but, the rub---there's no staffing authority, some of these bodies are well defined in the 2000 pages, others are simply mentioned...

getting this leviathon up and running is a nitemare, bloomberg called it "impossible"

millions of americans are going to have to change plans, millions more are being dumped on medicaid (already anorexically underfunded), medicare advantage is zeroed out...

the reason obama promoted dr berwick to med czar via recess appointment is cuz the admin simply cannot allow these ugly realities to be aired

but they will be anyway

it's all on drudge!

oh well

party on, progressives

having fun?

yes, this individual mandate is pernicious

YOU KNEW WHAT WAS IN THIS BILL

it will surely be taken on at the congressional level in the next session

whoever assails it, especially if he or she wins, is sure to PROFIT prodigiously, politically speaking, of course

so, we have movements of resistance breaking out all over, on every conceivable level

on the ground, we see SEVENTY TWO percent shouting show me

in the courts, there's the two dozen or so AG's, headed heroically this week by virginia's ken cuccinelli

the district judge allowed virginia's challenge to proceed

but more, the language used by judge hudson was very revealing of his disposition

the white house repeatedly denied in public that the mandate was a tax but once the issue arrived in court the admin, for legal heft, had to reverse itself

the judge appears inclined to look at the mandate as a PENALTY and not a tax

but most heavily, hudson examined the commerce clause, obama's resort and justification

more accurately, hudson studied the relationship of the clause to the fed's ambitious reach out to tap all americans to buy a very expensive product they don't want by virtually merely of their being living, breathing americans

if the commerce clause can be used to accomplish this, the judge pondered, what can't the clause be used to justify?

the electorate is agitated, we've got some movement in the courts, we've got sure legislative rewards once the house is realigned

we've got the parliamentary procedure of defunding, sure to come

did you see abc's and ap's breakdown of the new obamacare yesterday?

jack cafferty on cnn ran with it---68 grant programs, 47 new bureaucracies, 29 demo or pilot programs, 6 regulatory bodies, 6 racial review agencies...

fine---YOU KNEW WHAT WAS IN THIS BILL

but, the rub---there's no staffing authority, some of these bodies are well defined in the 2000 pages, others are simply mentioned...

getting this leviathon up and running is a nitemare, bloomberg called it "impossible"

millions of americans are going to have to change plans, millions more are being dumped on medicaid (already anorexically underfunded), medicare advantage is zeroed out...

the reason obama promoted dr berwick to med czar via recess appointment is cuz the admin simply cannot allow these ugly realities to be aired

but they will be anyway

it's all on drudge!

oh well

party on, progressives

having fun?

That explains everything. :roll:

yup, that's where cafferty got it

do you think the SEVENTY TWO PERCENT check out matt?

Back
Top Bottom