• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Progressives: Are Caucasians inherently more oppressive than other races?

ModerationNow!

I identify as "non-Bidenary".
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I've always been well aware of America's history, both bad, and good. I don't buy into the revisionist version where America is overwhelmingly an evil, oppressive society. Obviously, over 150 years ago(a very long time BTW), there was slavery, followed by segregation. In this country, slavery involved black Africans. Its unfathomable to me that some people accepted it back then, and I'm from NC. But I also see the other side(which is generally ignored or minimized by revisionists), where slave owners only consisted of a small percentage of wealthy people, and MOST importantly, hundreds of thousands of WHITE soldiers gave their lives and/or limbs to free black slaves. That last fact has largely been ommitted.

But slavery and oppression are NOT Caucasian institutions. Racism, slavery, oppression and conquest are human inventions carried out by EVERY race. Native Americans stole land and people from each other. Latin Americans stole land in America from native Americans and oppressed them. Latino tribes like the Aztecs conquered lands from other Latinos, and then ripped out the still-beating hearts of their victims, and Muslims of N. Africa captured millions of white Europeans and forced them into slavery.

But over the past 12-15 years, I've heard many leftists attempt to condition Americans of all races into believing that white people are somehow more inherently evil in those sins, while the supposed "minority" races are somehow more justified, and essentially blameless for their actions. It seems to me that evil is evil, and skin color has nothing to do with it.....

What's your honest opinion, regardless of political correctness?

No. White people aren't inherently more oppressive than other races. It doesn't matter what race you are when it comes to oppressing other groups of people.

I've always been well aware of America's history, both bad, and good. I don't buy into the revisionist version where America is overwhelmingly an evil, oppressive society. Obviously, over 150 years ago(a very long time BTW), there was slavery, followed by segregation. In this country, slavery involved black Africans. Its unfathomable to me that some people accepted it back then, and I'm from NC. But I also see the other side(which is generally ignored or minimized by revisionists), where slave owners only consisted of a small percentage of wealthy people, and MOST importantly, hundreds of thousands of WHITE soldiers gave their lives and/or limbs to free black slaves. That last fact has largely been ommitted.

But slavery and oppression are NOT Caucasian institutions. Racism, slavery, oppression and conquest are human inventions carried out by EVERY race. Native Americans stole land and people from each other. Latin Americans stole land in America from native Americans and oppressed them. Latino tribes like the Aztecs conquered lands from other Latinos, and then ripped out the still-beating hearts of their victims, and Muslims of N. Africa captured millions of white Europeans and forced them into slavery.

But over the past 12-15 years, I've heard many leftists attempt to condition Americans of all races into believing that white people are somehow more inherently evil in those sins, while the supposed "minority" races are somehow more justified, and essentially blameless for their actions. It seems to me that evil is evil, and skin color has nothing to do with it.....

I think culture is what you'd need to study and break down in order to see clear correlations and connections.

Since culture, within certain boundaries, is often shared between people of certain regions and races that hail from those regions, you therefor see certain similarities . . . but these aren't correlations. They're just happenstance.

All we can say is that in this country the white man has been the oppressor. What is so important about the other countries and races that did the same thing? I does not make it any less wrong does it? All we can do is be honest about it like the Germans are about the Holocaust. They spend a lot of classroom time teaching their children all about the Nazi's and what they did. Why? Because it is the best way to be sure it never happens again. We can't apologize for our ancestors but we can make sure that we are better than them in our treatment of our fellow man.

All we can say is that in this country the white man has been the oppressor. What is so important about the other countries and races that did the same thing? I does not make it any less wrong does it? All we can do is be honest about it like the Germans are about the Holocaust. They spend a lot of classroom time teaching their children all about the Nazi's and what they did. Why? Because it is the best way to be sure it never happens again. We can't apologize for our ancestors but we can make sure that we are better than them in our treatment of our fellow man.

Three points.

- I am not sure that the oppression that occurred in North America was not legitimate behavior at the time.
- You are right that history should be transparently communicated. This did not happen in Germany, where you could not read the literature of the time nor even discuss the topic freely. That might be understandable, but it is not teaching what happened and lead in its dishonesty to a severely unbalanced understanding of society.
- I am not really sure, what is the correct approach to "fellow man". It can be much better to use overwhelming blind force that to wait and see.

sure why not?

It is 2016 and slavery is still going on in parts of the world, including the USA.

Shameful stuff.

No. However, I am really tired of people trying to distract from the issue by pointing out that any class of people can be oppressive.

The fact is, in our culture, white people are the oppressive group.

And secondly, not every incident of human violence is oppressive. In, for example, historically competing Native tribes, they're just fighting over land, like pretty much every society does with its neighbors.

Systems of oppression are a lot more than that. Other slavery comparisons are much more accurate than just comparing all tribal warfare ever. And yes, every society and race has done it at some point in history.

In this one, it's white people. So why the hell do people keep wanting to talk about some other culture, 2,000 years ago, when we are trying to talk about what's happening right now?

I have been in activism for over a decade, and I have never in my life heard anyone say white people are "inherently evil." I think you just made that up because you don't like having to admit that your culture clade might be problematic.

...So why the hell do people keep wanting to talk about some other culture, 2,000 years ago, when we are trying to talk about what's happening right now?...

Because people keep beating the same drum that accuses ALL of us white people of being on board with our country's slavery driven past - and a vast MAJORITY of us ARE NOT.

Further, because people keep beating the same drum that accuses ALL of us white people of currently further racial tensions and issues - and a vast MAJORITY of us ARE NOT.

Case in point:

white people are the oppressive group.

So until people stop referring to ALL white people as if we're currently oppressing others or collectively supporting past oppression done by OTHER members of our racial group we will continue to BE FORCED to shed light on the fact that racism is much more broad spectrum topic and you can be ANY race and have it in your RACIAL background.

Because people keep beating the same drum that accuses ALL of us white people of being on board with our country's slavery driven past - and a vast MAJORITY of us ARE NOT.

Further, because people keep beating the same drum that accuses ALL of us white people of currently further racial tensions and issues - and a vast MAJORITY of us ARE NOT.

Case in point:

So until people stop referring to ALL white people as if we're currently oppressing others or collectively supporting past oppression done by OTHER members of our racial group we will continue to BE FORCED to shed light on the fact that racism is much more broad spectrum topic and you can be ANY race and have it in your RACIAL background.

Oppression is not about individual actions. We live in societies of millions. This is the thing people don't seem to understand...

I am a white person who is abundantly aware of oppression affecting racial minorities, who has had very fruitful and productive dialogue with said minorities, and who has had a lot of success scrubbing my head of as much social racial dogma as is realistically possible.

But I went to a nice school and therefore I am highly literate. Our school was 98% white. The ghettos black people have been pretty much forced into for a plethora of reasons both historical and current don't have that advantage. Some can't even run 5 days a week, can't afford books, can't have science labs. I tutored some of these kids -- very motivated people -- and many of them couldn't even read at a middle school level. Trying to get them college-ready was all but hopeless in many cases, due to financial and educational barriers. Virtually none of these extremely disadvantaged students were white. You think that's a coincidence?

I have done literally nothing to personally participate in oppression. And I am still inherently privileged in respect to race. It's just how society works. Because I am privileged in that respect, I am part of the hydra-headed infrastructure. On the whole, I am doing a lot better than most black people -- simply because of a bunch of accidents of my birth. In the context of society, my life is put on a higher tier.

Yes, my life as a whole is currently oppressing others. I as an individual am doing everything in my power to destroy the system that made it that way, and no black person ever has begrudged me because of the accidents of my birth. Nor do I begrudge myself. Why should I? I'm a good person who's done a wide array of advocacy in my life, both for things that help me personally and things that don't. If I'm going to be given certain privileges and tools just for being born the way I am, then I'm going to use them to take down the system that denied those tools to others. That feels pretty badass, actually. I like being a turncoat.

Most of us are both privileged and oppressed in some form. What actually matters is what we choose to do with it. I don't know of any activist at any position in the kyriarchy who hates people for their accidents of birth. This is just more made-up demonizing by the knuck-draggers of society who are afraid of losing their pedestal.

What matters isn't now how you were born. What matters is what you do. Whining about people pointing out the flaws in your culture, pretending it doesn't exist, pretending you somehow "deserve" those privileges more than others, putting up a bunch of nonsense strawmen ("But this other culture from a thousand years ago did it tooooo") and therefore passing it onto your children is just perpetuating it.

Talking about oppressive systems is not about whether you yourself have ever lynched a black person. It's about attacking the system that decided you got to learn how to read, and the black kid from the town over didn't.

Last edited:
Oppression is not about individual actions. We live in societies of millions. This is the thing people don't seem to understand...

I am a white person who is abundantly aware of oppression affecting racial minorities, who has had very fruitful and productive dialogue with said minorities, and who has had a lot of success scrubbing my head of as much social racial dogma as is realistically possible.

But I went to a nice school and therefore I am highly literate. Our school was 98% white. The ghettos black people have been pretty much forced into for a plethora of reasons both historical and current don't have that advantage. Some can't even run 5 days a week, can't afford books, can't have science labs. I tutored some of these kids -- very motivated people -- and many of them couldn't even read at a middle school level. Trying to get them college-ready was all but hopeless in many cases, due to financial and educational barriers. Virtually none of these extremely disadvantaged students were white. You think that's a coincidence?

I have done literally nothing to personally participate in oppression. And I am still inherently privileged in respect to race. It's just how society works. Because I am privileged in that respect, I am part of the hydra-headed infrastructure. On the whole, I am doing a lot better than most black people -- simply because of a bunch of accidents of my birth. In the context of society, my life is put on a higher tier.

Yes, my life as a whole is currently oppressing others. I as an individual am doing everything in my power to destroy the system that made it that way, and no black person ever has begrudged me because of the accidents of my birth. Nor do I begrudge myself. Why should I? I'm a good person who's done a wide array of advocacy in my life, both for things that help me personally and things that don't. If I'm going to be given certain privileges and tools just for being born the way I am, then I'm going to use them to take down the system that denied those tools to others. That feels pretty badass, actually. I like being a turncoat.

Most of us are both privileged and oppressed in some form. What actually matters is what we choose to do with it. I don't know of any activist at any position in the kyriarchy who hates people for their accidents of birth. This is just more made-up demonizing by the knuck-draggers of society who are afraid of losing their pedestal.

What matters isn't now how you were born. What matters is what you do. Whining about people pointing out the flaws in your culture, pretending it doesn't exist, pretending you somehow "deserve" those privileges more than others, putting up a bunch of nonsense strawmen ("But this other culture from a thousand years ago did it tooooo") and therefore passing it onto your children is just perpetuating it.

Talking about oppressive systems is not about whether you yourself have ever lynched a black person. It's about attacking the system that decided you got to learn how to read, and the black kid from the town over didn't.

You can forever endeavor to help others and set right the wrongs - you and I both are (being in a very mixed family, now, and having biracial children I experienced things differently than you and do my own part) . . . but insulting your own race and demonizing yourself as if you're some sort of evil force in the world does no one any favors.

I don't embrace racial negativity in any form - regardless of any race's collective past. You shouldn't, either. It only gives fuel to the wrong fire.

Progressives: Are Caucasians inherently more oppressive than other races?

The following video was speaking to this somewhat, but with a feminist.

I am not asking that folks review the whole thing.
Just check it out @ the 15:50 mark for about 50 secs.

Bs! They are oppressing their selves.
The Asians, another minority, aren't suppressed but surpass the majority group in most ways.

You can forever endeavor to help others and set right the wrongs - you and I both are (being in a very mixed family, now, and having biracial children I experienced things differently than you and do my own part) . . . but insulting your own race and demonizing yourself as if you're some sort of evil force in the world does no one any favors.

I don't embrace racial negativity in any form - regardless of any race's collective past. You shouldn't, either. It only gives fuel to the wrong fire.

Insulting my race? How? It's just how it came together in this society, and race isn't even biologically real in the first place.

And how am I insulting myself? Like I said, I like being a turncoat. All I'm doing is recognizing the stupidly obvious, which is that I got to learn to read while some black kid didn't, for absolutely no good reason.

You're the one who's interpreting any critique of white society to be some sort of personal insult, and you're the reason this conversation can't get off the ground and we keep having to go back and rehash what the hell an oppressive system is. You keep looking at this as though it's somehow about you.

It's not all about you. And incidentally, your persistent belief that it must be all about you, is a big part of our racial beliefs that everything is about white people.

Insulting my race? How? It's just how it came together in this society, and race isn't even biologically real in the first place.

And how am I insulting myself? Like I said, I like being a turncoat. All I'm doing is recognizing the stupidly obvious, which is that I got to learn to read while some black kid didn't, for absolutely no good reason.

You're the one who's interpreting any critique of white society to be some sort of personal insult, and you're the reason this conversation can't get off the ground and we keep having to go back and rehash what the hell an oppressive system is. You keep looking at this as though it's somehow about you.

It's not all about you. And incidentally, your persistent belief that it must be all about you, is a big part of our racial beliefs that everything is about white people.

Let's rewind:

You asked a question:
...So why the hell do people keep wanting to talk about some other culture, 2,000 years ago, when we are trying to talk about what's happening right now?...

Then I gave a response addressing why some people want to discuss ALL of racism-history instead of JUST the US or White oppression component of racism history.

Now you're trying to claim I'm making it personal - about me. When all I did was answer the questions you presented.

Apparently you interpreted my answers as a statement of my personal beliefs on the topic. :shrug: You were just fishing for a heated debate, I guess, and not wanting real answers.

Let's rewind:

You asked a question:

Then I gave a response addressing why some people want to discuss ALL of racism-history instead of JUST the US or White oppression component of racism history.

Now you're trying to claim I'm making it personal - about me. When all I did was answer the questions you presented.

Apparently you interpreted my answers as a statement of my personal beliefs on the topic. :shrug: You were just fishing for a heated debate, I guess, and not wanting real answers.

But they don't. They just want to use it as an excuse to avoid talking about today's issue. "Well, such-and-such race was just as bad a thousand years ago in this long-dead former culture." So what?

If they actually had an honest interest in discussing racism as a sociological phenomenon, there's lots of good historically-focused places to do that -- even on DP.

But instead, they show up on every single thread about modern American racial issues, and try to derail the conversation with a bunch of nonsense about some other time and culture when the thread is about THIS time and culture. And they don't want to talk about race as a sociological phenomenon. They just want to make a bunch of excuses for why we should just ignore the problem and keep letting it be this way "Well, we're not any worse than these other people." Not good enough.

You are making it about you. Every mention of systemic racism, and suddenly it's about "Not ALL white people are bad, look at ME and MY blended family." No one ever said white people are bad, and no one is talking about your family. We're talking about something much bigger than that which, by definition, is about people who AREN'T you. And you're making your feelings of higher importance than discussing the mundanely obvious racism that objectively exists in your society. You can't let it be about something other than you and you not wanting to feel uncomfortable. I'm sorry, I think this is more important than your personal comfort.

But they don't. They just want to use it as an excuse to avoid talking about today's issue. "Well, such-and-such race was just as bad a thousand years ago in this long-dead former culture." So what?

If they actually had an honest interest in discussing racism as a sociological phenomenon, there's lots of good historically-focused places to do that -- even on DP.

But instead, they show up on every single thread about modern American racial issues, and try to derail the conversation with a bunch of nonsense about some other time and culture when the thread is about THIS time and culture. And they don't want to talk about race as a sociological phenomenon. They just want to make a bunch of excuses for why we should just ignore the problem and keep letting it be this way "Well, we're not any worse than these other people." Not good enough.

You are making it about you. Every mention of systemic racism, and suddenly it's about "Not ALL white people are bad, look at ME and MY blended family." No one ever said white people are bad, and no one is talking about your family. We're talking about something much bigger than that which, by definition, is about people who AREN'T you. And you're making your feelings of higher importance than discussing the mundanely obvious racism that objectively exists in your society. You can't let it be about something other than you and you not wanting to feel uncomfortable. I'm sorry, I think this is more important than your personal comfort.

I think the OP was trying to go in a philosophical discussion type direction - most people who shape arguments as you've addressed above don't seem to want to discuss the concept of 'can a race be evil'.

Either that - or I just focused in on that one aspect, seeing the uniqueness in the concept as having never really been discussed before, and imagined it was more significant than it was.

It is 2016 and slavery is still going on in parts of the world, including the USA.

Shameful stuff.

What? Slavery is still occurring in the United States?

Good grief, what a load of white guilt nonsense.

No. However, I am really tired of people trying to distract from the issue by pointing out that any class of people can be oppressive.

And secondly, not every incident of human violence is oppressive. In, for example, historically competing Native tribes, they're just fighting over land, like pretty much every society does with its neighbors.

Systems of oppression are a lot more than that. Other slavery comparisons are much more accurate than just comparing all tribal warfare ever. And yes, every society and race has done it at some point in history.

In this one, it's white people. So why the hell do people keep wanting to talk about some other culture, 2,000 years ago, when we are trying to talk about what's happening right now?

I have been in activism for over a decade, and I have never in my life heard anyone say white people are "inherently evil." I think you just made that up because you don't like having to admit that your culture clade might be problematic.

Please fill me in on how I'm oppressing anyone?

Some believe that every white person is racist, and actually seek to redefine the very word itself to exclude, by definition, everyone who isn't white. Often times these very same people wonder why others get immediately defensive when they're called racists.

What? Slavery is still occurring in the United States?

Not legally. And to the extent it happens illegally, it really has nothing at all to do with this topic, so I have no idea why he even brought it up.

Shameful stuff.

Mauritania keeps banning slavery every few years, because apparently it's the kind of thing you can't ban too much.

Difference, though, is that slavery isn't legal in America and the human traffickers go to jail for conducting it.

Why is okay to generalize all Caucasians. It seems to me that doing that to anybody else, is looked down all the time. Yet making threads, like "All white people are racist, oppressive, evil, etc" is never an issue. Here's an idea:If you want to get people to understand where you're coming from and address perceived issues with them, don't create blanket statements about something they have no control over like skin color.

It is human nature. People, when given power, have a tendency to abuse that power. At the very least they strive to maintain their power. That applies to individuals and groups. If you went back in time and left geography and resources all the same and just switched the ethnicities of the Africans and the Europeans, odds are blacks would have colonized America and stole the land from the Native Americans using their superior technology. Whites would have been traded in the Americas and Europe as slaves. Blacks would have been the privileged class in the US and they would still be doing better financially, as a group, than whites.

..and the white man was the liberator as well... In a lot of other countries, the oppression never stopped, but here the white man stopped it. The voice of the People stepped up and declared that this was wrong and was willing to fight and die to stop it. The white man's efforts at ending slavery in this country were among the best things that humanity has ever done. You seem to want to only focus on historical fact of slavery while ignoring the historical fact that it was white people (overwhelmingly Christians) who brought slavery to an end. You ignore the sacrifices that 100's of thousands of white people made to gain that freedom and focus on the relative handful that were the problem. So when you say "All we can say...", I say that there is a whole lot more that we can say.

Back
Top Bottom