• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Profiles in Courage/who has caught your attention? Give kudo(s)

If you don't have a military objective, sending the military in is never going to end well for anyone at all. There were a million political objectives, but there was an aversion to actual military objectives.

World war 2: Military objective, destroy the Axis military forces, forcing specific nation states to capitulate.
Korea: Force the Korean military North of the 58th parallel.
Desert Storm: Force the Iraqi military out of Kuwait.

It's worth mentioning that we won all of those, for the stated goals of each war.

Vietnam: "Preserve democracy". That is a political goal.
Iraq II electric boogaloo: Start out with a military objective (force Iraqi army to capitulate, remove Saddam Hussein from power), devolves into nation building, which is a political goal.
Afghanistan: No goal whatsoever (at least not one, military or political, that didn't reverse itself completely every 90 days).

We lost those. Or at least didn't win.

Here's the deal: America has never lost a war in which the military was given a clear military objective. We have never won a war that didn't have a clear military objective. Only we keep doing that.

As I said, Vietnam was thoughtlessly fought.
Iraq nation building was a consequence of dismantling existing infrastructure.
The Afghanistan mission is denial of a base to the enemy. We're likely to be there for 100 years.

You're certainly correct on your first point, though I think there is such a thing as a noble war, one in which a country is defended from outside aggressors.

On the second point, I'm betting the economy will collapse before a century passes. When that happens, the wheels will fall off the war wagon, and most everything else too.

As to the quotient of morality, when the leaders take the country to war under lies and deception, the war has no chance of being a noble one.

Wars need not be noble, only effective.

Wars need not be noble, only effective.

Wars should last forever. Perpetual wars are good for war profiteers, and as a method to control the population.

Wars should last forever. Perpetual wars are good for war profiteers, and as a method to control the population.

Humans screw faster than you can shoot them, unless you use nukes. This has been demonstrated consistently since we started keeping track.

impeachment-hearing-14-ap-jc-191121_hpMain_16x9_608.jpg

Dr. Fiona Hill, US expert on Ukraine, Russia, and Eurasia.

At the House impeachment inquiry, she deftly dismantled the Kremlin disinformation put forth by Rep. Devin Nunes that Ukraine meddled in the 2016 election and not Russia.

Dr. Hill emerged as a national heroine, for her mastery of facts and argument, and her coolness under pressure.

It wouldn't let me post the link but pretty much anyone in the YPG at this point, or trying to survive/fleeing from that god-awful hell-on-earth

This story of retired NBA player Dwyane Wade going public about his 12 year old offspring requesting family acceptance to transition from Zion to Zaya caught my attention.

Kudo(s) to the blended Wade/Gabrielle Union family for facilitating this family member's very personal request!

“Our 12-year-old came home—first Zion, I don’t know if everyone knows, originally named Zion, born as a boy—came home and said, ‘Hey, I want to talk to you guys. I think going forward I’m ready to live my truth. I want to be referenced as she and her, I would love for you guys to call me Zaya,’” Wade shared with the audience.

He also explained the importance of creating a loving environment in order to provide Zaya with “the best opportunity to be her best self.”

“Me and my wife, Gabrielle Union, we are proud parents of a child in the LGBTQ+ community,” Wade said. “And we’re proud allies as well. We take our roles and responsibilities as parents very seriously. So when our child comes home with a question, when our child comes home with an issue, when our child comes home with anything, it’s our job as parents to listen to that, to give them the best information that we can, the best feedback that we can—and that doesn’t change now that sexuality [or gender] is now involved in it.”

Dwyane Wade Reveals His 12-Year-Old Will Go By Zaya, Use Female Pronouns: 'This Is Our Opportunity to Allow You to Be a Voice'

image.jpg

Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Vindman.

Last Friday Trump fired the decorated officer and had him removed from the White House by armed guards like a criminal.

Lt. Col. Vindman's crime? He told the truth under oath.

The subject of this thread:

Pretty unreal footage there.

Captain Jenn Casey of Halifax, Nova Scotia died in the crash.

capt-jennifer-casey.jpg

Seems perhaps from something I read on global she was unable to or couldn't eject before the crash.

1 killed after CF Snowbird crashes near Kamloops during B.C. stop of cross-Canada tour | Globalnews.ca

“I’m a retired nurse, so of course I went into the backyard and there was a woman, she was in the plane and she was deceased.

snip

Hings said the other occupant of the plane was able to eject and landed on a nearby roof.

Very sad, especially considering what they were doing, trying to bring hope to the country.

She rode it down. She just barely avoided houses.

Both conflicts brought under fraud and deception. Eisenhower was correct warning of the dangers of the Military Industrial Complex. Both conflicts Bright & Shining Lies.

The US got involved in Vietnam during Eisenhower's presidemcy.

The US got involved in Vietnam during Eisenhower's presidemcy.

it was before that. Ho chi Minh asked the USA to help keep Vietnam free as France tried to reestablish its colonial empire in SE Asia. HCM was a fan of Jefferson and Washington. Sadly, due to the fall of China to Mao, the US Government-Truman especially, saw nationalists-like HCM-as part of the "red tide" of Maoist communism and declined. that is what really started things in Vietnam

Just before Christmas I was sitting in a lineup of cars waiting for a traffic light to change. Walking up and down the median at the intersection was a panhandler who's a regular there looking for donations. Behind me was an RCMP cruiser. The cop got out of his car and walked up to the panhandler for what I first assumed was going to be a ticket or a 'move along' order.

Instead the officer shook his hand and gave him a wrapped gift. That officer will never be publicly recognized for that humane action, only those of us who were nearby know about it. But he's a hero worth celebrating.

Just before Christmas I was sitting in a lineup of cars waiting for a traffic light to change. Walking up and down the median at the intersection was a panhandler who's a regular there looking for donations. Behind me was an RCMP cruiser. The cop got out of his car and walked up to the panhandler for what I first assumed was going to be a ticket or a 'move along' order.

Instead the officer shook his hand and gave him a wrapped gift. That officer will never be publicly recognized for that humane action, only those of us who were nearby know about it. But he's a hero worth celebrating.
It really is the little, personal things that we do for each other that matter the most.

Kudos to MMA Superstar Jon Jones for an impromptu autographing session.... even if Jones predicted the wrong guy to win! Congratulations to Team Poirier!

Big Grin to the kids for displaying the chutzpah to knock on the door!

Kudos to the 11 Republican Representatives that voted to strip QAnon Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R/GA) of her two House committee appointments.

This decision will probably cost one or more of these individuals their seats in Congress.

Most surprising to me is Rep. Nicole Malliotakis of New York. In a CNN interview last week, she still didn't seem to understand why her January 6 vote to toss out electoral votes was wrong.

Mario Diaz-Balart (FL-25)

Brian Fitzpatrick (PA-01)

Carlos Gimenez (FL-26)

Chris Jacobs (NY-27)

Young Kim (CA-39)

John Katko (NY-24)

Adam Kinzinger (IL-16)

Nicole Malliotakis (NY-11)

Maria E. Salazar (FL-27)

Chris Smith (NJ-04)

Fred Upton (MI-06)

The House Impeachment Managers and their legal staff.

They had only two weeks to prepare a never before charged crime (Incitement of Insurrection) against a president. They crafted an extraordinary presentation.

EuJhhjdXcAEDfOj.jpg

President Donald J. Trump
1613350575326.png

The most accomplished president in U.S. History. Did it all in four years.

Greatest economy of all time.
Created Millions of Jobs
Brought Manufacturing back to the US
Lowest Unemployment for blacks and minorities of all time
Evened up the Chinese Trade Advantage
Built the Wall
Got Peace in the Middle East
Made America Independent of Foreign Oil
Stopped Illegal Immigration
Protected Human Life
Brought Respect Back to the US

The president gave up much of his personal fortune to lead the country, while enduring unending attacks from the Marxist left. He got the election stolen from him, but is sure to emerge victorious in the end.
A truly great American hero!!

President Donald J. Trump
View attachment 67318244

The most accomplished president in U.S. History. Did it all in four years.

Greatest economy of all time.
Created Millions of Jobs
Brought Manufacturing back to the US
Lowest Unemployment for blacks and minorities of all time
Evened up the Chinese Trade Advantage
Built the Wall
Got Peace in the Middle East
Made America Independent of Foreign Oil
Stopped Illegal Immigration
Protected Human Life
Brought Respect Back to the US

The president gave up much of his personal fortune to lead the country, while enduring unending attacks from the Marxist left. He got the election stolen from him, but is sure to emerge victorious in the end.
A truly great American hero!!
Truly great Americans don't willfully and intentionally lie to their fellow country men and women about a deadly global pandemic for reasons of 'personal' political gain. FAIL!

Back
Top Bottom