• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pro-lifers seem proportionally gender equal.

DarkWizard12

Sir Poop A lot
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
Feminists and many others on the left usually claim that the pro-life group consists of men with the sole interest in controllig women's bodies.

Statistics however suggests that equally as many women oppose abortion and for decades now there's been slightly more women than men who think abortion should be illegal in all circumstances.

Historically though there's always been more women than men who think abortion should be LEGAL in all circumstances, which indicates that more men than women are in favor of some form of restrictions when it comes to abortion but still, fewer men than women has through the decades wanted abortion to be completely illegal.

I'm pro-choice myself, but I find it fascinating that (as per usual with feminists) MEN and SEXISM is deemed the problem.

Looks to me like women have been the biggest obstacle.

280579272_10159995598515406_29665784267778969_n.jpg

Interesting so the battle lines have already been drawn so this appears won't make an impact in the midterms

Feminists and many others on the left usually claim that the pro-life group consists of men with the sole interest in controllig women's bodies.

Statistics however suggests that equally as many women oppose abortion and for decades now there's been slightly more women than men who think abortion should be illegal in all circumstances.

Historically though there's always been more women than men who think abortion should be LEGAL in all circumstances, which indicates that more men than women are in favor of some form of restrictions when it comes to abortion but still, fewer men than women has through the decades wanted abortion to be completely illegal.

I'm pro-choice myself, but I find it fascinating that (as per usual with feminists) MEN and SEXISM is deemed the problem.

View attachment 67391008

Being a practicing, active, Catholic, and spending much of my life in the company of Conservatives, I can assuredly attest to many women being pro-life. I count many such women among friends and family.

I believe this highlights an issue the Dems need to overcome. There are many Dem principles that have universal appeal, that would otherwise appeal to these pro-life women. These women are not all advertently politically active in their pro-life ideology, or even desire to impress their will on others. But, they do believe abortion is not for them.

I suspect some or many of these women might otherwise be able to exist within the Democratic Party, if they were made to feel welcome & respected, despite their personal disagreement with this facet of the Dem platform. Dems need to act more like the 'big tent' party they purport themselves to be, realizing we all can't agree on everything, but we need to respect our difference for the greater good of what the party may be able to accomplish.

Last edited:

View attachment 67391008
They are also in the minority.

From the following:
MS magazine article.

The Pro-Choice Religious Community Could Be a Force to Be Reckoned With​

10/12/2021 by FREDERICK CLARKSON

The vast pro-choice religious community in the United States could provide the moral, cultural and political clout to reverse current anti-abortion policy trends.​

The core of support in the organized religious community are mainline Protestant denominations, notably The Episcopal Church, the United Church of Christ, the Presbyterian Church (USA), and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, along with most of organized Judaism. There are also deeply considered pro-choice theological traditions within all of major world religious traditions present in the United States, including Buddhism, Hinduism and Islam. ……55 percent of Muslims in the United States support access to abortion in all or most cases. Taken together, these religious traditions have vast resources, institutional capacity, historic and central roles in many towns and cities and cadres of well-educated leaders at every level.

There is a vast pro-choice religious community in the United States with the potential to provide the moral, cultural and political clout to reverse current anti-abortion policy trends in the United States.

This is well documented by reputable polling and a study of religious institutional support for abortion rights.
Most, but certainly not all, of this cohort are Christians and Jews. Nevertheless, the pro-choice religious sector is not much recognized in the political world, by the media and by elected officials. But it ought to be.

While a long term Pew study shows that public support for legal abortion in the United States has fluctuated a bit over the past quarter century, the historic trend is upward, and has remained relatively stable over the past five years. Currently, 59 percent say abortion should be legal in all or most cases, while 39 percent say it should be illegal in all or most cases. Other reputable polls have shown similarly increasing support for abortion rights, and have been widely reported.

Read more :

https://msmagazine.com/2021/10/12/pro-choice-religion-abortion-catholic/

Last edited:

View attachment 67391008
Yes there are more women in the anti-abortion movement than men. But.......... The evangelical anti-abortion movement was started by Paul Weyrich and Jerry Falwell. The American Catholic Conference of Bishops started the Catholic anti-abortion movement. The Catholic organizations were funded by theChurch and headed by men. The evangelical movement's organizations were started by men and are still headed primarily by men. Men are the policy makers in these organizations. Funding comes from assorted evangelical sources.

And anti-abortion posters on this site are 3 to 1 male, old, probably white and conservative with little good to say about women.

Being a practicing, active, Catholic, and spending much of my life in the company of Conservatives, I can assuredly attest to many women being pro-life. I count many such women among friends and family.

I believe this highlights an issue the Dems need to overcome. There are many Dem principles that have universal appeal, that would otherwise appeal to these pro-life women. These women are not all advertently politically active in their pro-life ideology, or even desire to impress their will on others. But, they do believe abortion is not for them.

I suspect some or many of these women might otherwise be able to exist within the Democratic Party, if they were made to feel welcome & respected, despite their personal disagreement with this facet of the Dem platform. Dems need to act more like the 'big tent' party they purport themselves to be, realizing we all can't agree on everything, but we need to respect our difference for the greater good of what the party may be able to accomplish.
When will they accept JFK conservatives back in like me? I won't hold my breath

That's not going to happen. Dems not only don't have any room for those who are pro-life in their party but they take the most radical position on abortion that, when you break it down in further polling, most of the country is against. They just tried to pass a national abortion bill that had no limits on abortion at all, the entire 9.

When you break down the polling data, most Americans are against elective abortions as soon as the 2nd trimester and that majority grows to something like 80% in the 3rd.

When will they accept JFK conservatives back in like me? I won't hold my breath

I would hope they would! My family was JFK Conservatives. He simply ticked-off all our boxes.

Interestingly - today Connor Lamp (PA) seems to be of similar mold, barring the JFK 'New Camelot' references.

Last edited:
That's not going to happen. Dems not only don't have any room for those who are pro-life in their party but they take the most radical position on abortion that, when you break it down in further polling, most of the country is against. They just tried to pass a national abortion bill that had no limits on abortion at all, the entire 9.

When you break down the polling data, most Americans are against elective abortions as soon as the 2nd trimester and that majority grows to something like 80% in the 3rd.

I do admit part of the problem is some of the extreme thought and acceptance.

It's one thing to accept abortion as a difficult decision in difficult circumstances. It's another to portray it as simply 'nothing', a normal part of contraception.

Some scratch pad statistics. The best number I can find is that there were 799k abortions last year in the US. US census numbers and wild ass guessing there are between 40-45 million women of child bearing age which comes out to about 2%. Which suggests abortion is not a high demand item for women. While many may get swept up on the "my body my choice (baby doesn't get a vote, apparently)" reality seems to indict differently.

I do admit part of the problem is some of the extreme thought and acceptance.

It's one thing to accept abortion as a difficult decision in difficult circumstances. It's another to portray it as simply 'nothing', a normal part of contraception.
And another thing to deny it's actually a baby when they are at or near the viability stage.

Some scratch pad statistics. The best number I can find is that there were 799k abortions last year in the US. US census numbers and wild ass guessing there are between 40-45 million women of child bearing age which comes out to about 2%. Which suggests abortion is not a high demand item for women. While many may get swept up on the "my body my choice (baby doesn't get a vote, apparently)" reality seems to indict differently.

Abortion went down that low???

Numbers seem to vary How many were you expecting?
Well a rough estimate the last time I checked it has been around 60 million babies aborted in the last 49 years.

So more then a million a year

You ask for a miracle. this is not the nature of the democrats. They are angry and vindictive, and any man, woman, or child that has any minor qualm against their pet issue is assured to be shamed and ridiculed. Respect requires humility, and that is simply not a character trait they possess.

And anti-abortion posters on this site are 3 to 1 male, old, probably white and conservative with little good to say about women.

Well, there are many, many more males here...

Well a rough estimate the last time I checked it has been around 60 million babies aborted in the last 49 years.

So more then a million a year
Like I said numbers vary. I was a little surprised but the numbers have been going down. but out of 40-45 million even a million is a small percentage.

Yes there are more women in the anti-abortion movement than men. But.......... The evangelical anti-abortion movement was started by Paul Weyrich and Jerry Falwell. The American Catholic Conference of Bishops started the Catholic anti-abortion movement. The Catholic organizations were funded by theChurch and headed by men. The evangelical movement's organizations were started by men and are still headed primarily by men. Men are the policy makers in these organizations. Funding comes from assorted evangelical sources.

so go figure out why so many women agree with them. Most men don't, so it's not men you're trying to convince.

Like I said numbers vary. I was a little surprised but the numbers have been going down. but out of 40-45 million even a million is a small percentage.
The population of the US in 1973 was around 200 million so the percentage dropped a bunch if you are correct

You ask for a miracle. this is not the nature of the democrats. They are angry and vindictive, and any man, woman, or child that has any minor qualm against their pet issue is assured to be shamed and ridiculed. Respect requires humility, and that is simply not a character trait they possess.

Well, we can't define political groups, leans. or ideologies, as homogenous.

Despite my personal life being Conservative, I am fairly liberal in public policy. Hell, I would've voted for Bernie if he was at the top of the ticket. Where do I fit?

But I can't stand some of the Dem nonsense, either. Defund the police? Seriously? However - the Republicans, IMO, are even worse. So, an Indie I am! I feel more respect that way. I can hold my head up high. I like that.

Well, we can't define political groups, leans. or ideologies, as homogenous.

Despite my personal life being Conservative, I am fairly liberal in public policy. Hell, I would've voted for Bernie if he was at the top of the ticket. Where do I fit?

But I can't stand some of the Dem nonsense, either. Defund the police? Seriously? However - the Republicans, IMO, are even worse. So, an Indie I am! I feel more respect that way. I can hold my head up high. I like that.
How do you come to that conclusion? Republicans haven't changed any, and if they have, they've gotten more liberal. Democrats, on the other hand, have gone insane left.

The population of the US in 1973 was around 200 million so the percentage dropped a bunch if you are correct
Yes they have dropped very low.

I have posted many times the rate of abortions in the United States is less than many European countries including
Denmark , France, Finland, Sweden , Norway and the Netherlands.

Back
Top Bottom