• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pro-Life Controls US House and Possibly the Senate

Gladiator

Verifier
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Ben Nelson, D Nebraska, US Senator is one Pro-Life Democrat in the US Senate.

Pro-Life Democratic U.S. Senator Speaks Before National Black Pro Life Union - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

http://bennelson.senate.gov/

Robert Casey, D Pennsylvania, is another Pro-Life Democrat, in the US Senate.

"Casey ran as a pro-life Democrat during his successful senatorial campaign in 2006. In a speech to the Democratic National Convention at Pepsi Center Aug. 26, Casey shared advice his legendary father, the late Pennsylvania Gov. Bob Casey, would give regarding using power to help people."

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0804415.htm

http://casey.senate.gov/about/blog/

Last edited:
I am not sure how the US Senate will end up.

"Richard immediately launched into her organization’s main concern, a bill sponsored by pro-life Rep. Mike Pence that would de-fund Planned Parenthood."

Abortion Groups NARAL, Planned Parenthood, Emily's List Dejected After Election | LifeNews.com

Pro-life Republicans make significant gains in midterm election :: Catholic News Agency (CNA)

"Awesome" Election 2010: Reaction from US Pro-Life Leaders

//

Cool........

with obama in the white house though, no way that it happens.

President Obama doesn't strike me as being as socially liberal as he is fiscally liberal. I doubt he'd squander his political capital opposing a move like this.

Pro Life made Bill Clinton compromise on Partial Birth abortion, in May, 1997.

Memo Shows Kagan Helped Clinton-Era Defeat of Partial Birth Abortion Ban

The House may have a veto-proof Pro Life, 2/3 majority in the House for 2011-12. Probably short in the senate of 2/3 majority.

The Pro-Lifers may hold job creation legislation hostage for trade-offs in killing Family Planning.

Boehner sounded to me like his goal is to force Obama into so many Vetos, that Republicans and Pro-Life will have enough Vetoes by the 2012 elections, to make a platform for Pro-Lifers and Republicans, to make major gains in 2012.

One reason US & UK jobs, may be lagging, is because companies in high wage countries hesitate to get a good business going, particularly in manufacgturing, because some Milti-National company will export the idea and producation of that product to low wage coutnries, so why start a new product in the US or UK?

//

Last edited:
President Obama doesn't strike me as being as socially liberal as he is fiscally liberal. I doubt he'd squander his political capital opposing a move like this.

I disagree. If he doesn't steadfastly appose any effort made to limit abortion, he'll lose even more of his far left base.

Pr0-Life Democrats in the US Senate:

.................................................. Naral Pro-Choice Rating
ND U.S. Senate Sr Kent Conrad Democratic-NPL 55
ND U.S. Senate Jr Byron Dorgan Democratic-NPL 55

NV U.S. Senate Sr Harry Reid Democratic 30

SD U.S. Senate Sr Tim Johnson Democratic 55
WI U.S. Senate Sr Herbert Kohl Democratic 65

http://www.votesmart.org/issue_rating_detail.php?r_id=1628

"With just three seats separating Democrats from Republicans, Reid will find himself having to adopt a much more conciliatory tone over the next two years. Even though he won't have to face his voters for another six years, if he wants to retain his post as Majority Leader, he'll need to demonstrate to his own members that he's able to reach meaningful and mutually beneficial outcomes with Republicans."

http://usconservatives.about.com/b/...will-the-gop-have-over-the-senate-in-2011.htm

//

Last edited:
Pro Life controlled the House, the Senate and the White House for six years recently, and abortion is still legal.

Can't give the conservatives all of what they want, or they won't have so many awesome reasons to be pissed off at liberals.

Last edited:
Pro Life controlled the House, the Senate and the White House for six years recently, and abortion is still legal.

Can't give the conservatives all of what they want, or they won't have so many awesome reasons to be pissed off at liberals.

Lol,and vice versa.

Let's hope these politicians act upon their principals and not stay silent. It's a shame that America has probably the most liberal abortion laws in the world.

Let's hope these politicians act upon their principals and not stay silent. It's a shame that America has probably the most liberal abortion laws in the world.
As opposed to say Canada which has no laws at all. Good one.

As opposed to say Canada which has no laws at all. Good one.

Hint on the word probably. Many nations restrict abortions in certain trimesters or are only when the mother's life will end if she gives birth. Europe is generally more strict on abortion than we are. In America you can have an abortion whenever for whatever reason you want. This is wrong. Especially considering the makeup of our nation in regards to abortion opinion and government leadership.

Planned Parenthood and Obama are very close. He's also the most pro abortion president we have ever had. He voted against any medical intervention to a born alive baby that was meant to be aborted. Just let it die.

I think it's something like 70-80 % of the population is against federal funding of abortions. I never understood why we funded planned parenthood.

Planned Parenthood and Obama are very close. He's also the most pro abortion president we have ever had. He voted against any medical intervention to a born alive baby that was meant to be aborted. Just let it die.

planned parenthood and obama are very close? link please?

I think it's something like 70-80 % of the population is against federal funding of abortions. I never understood why we funded planned parenthood.

The federal government DOESN'T fund abortions, haven't you heard of the Hyde Amendment? Funding Planned Parenthood doesn't mean funding abortions which is only about 2% of PP's work. PP must keep funds separate and carefully account for all federal money. Statistics show that for every government dollar spent on family planning, $4 of tax money is saved. I think its a good buy.

with obama in the white house though, no way that it happens.

We won't be defunding Planned parenthood anytime soon.
Obama pledged to Planned Parenthood: “I will not yield” to pro-life concerns :: Catholic News Agency (CNA)

Washington D.C., Feb 28, 2008 / 06:15 am - On Wednesday a full transcript of Democrat presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama’s July 2007 speech to the Planned Parenthood Action Fund in which he vigorously defended legalized abortion became available.
In the July 17 speech, Obama attacked the Supreme Court decision that upheld the federal partial-birth abortion ban and the nomination of Supreme Court justices who favor overturning Roe v. Wade. In the speech the senator said, "There will always be people, many of goodwill, who do not share my view on the issue of choice. On this fundamental issue, I will not yield and Planned Parenthood will not yield."

It's about time for this distortion of Obama's position to end.

When Obama Voted "No" | RHRealityCheck.org

The anti-choice anti-Obama strategy is based on Obama's clear "no" votes on the "Illinois Born Alive Infant Protection Act," or BAIPA. Leading anti-choice blogger Jill Stanek, who testified in the Illinois state Senate on behalf of the bill, has played a key role in disseminating this anti-Obama argument in the right-wing blogosphere. Taking the bait, former presidential candidate Sen. Sam Brownback, in a fundraising email to supporters of his political action committee last month, excoriated Obama for opposing BAIPA. And in a Feb. 26 editorial, the National Catholic Register fumed, "Obama wouldn't even protect children born alive by mistake during abortion attempts."

But BAIPA isn't really about protecting infants; it is anti-abortion rights legislation crafted by the hard right. BAIPA targets the abortion procedure known as dilation and extraction, which anti-choicers have so successfully re-branded as "partial birth abortion." Dilation and extraction accounts for less than one-fifth of one percent of all American abortions, and is used most often to end wanted pregnancies in which expectant parents learn their baby will not be viable outside of the womb. During the operation, the fetus' skull is capsized inside of the woman, after which labor is induced and she delivers the fetus. It is a wrenching process, but one that allows a woman or couple to grieve and bring closure to a pregnancy by holding the intact fetus. It also decreases scarring, bleeding, and pain inside of a woman's uterus and vagina.

The antis want to redefine these fetuses as "born alive" and require that doctors provide "resuscitation." As a state senator, Obama saw BAIPA for what it was: an ideologically-motivated ploy to vilify women and doctors who choose abortion. On the state Senate floor on April 4, 2002, he explained, "This issue ultimately is about abortion and not live births. Because if there are children being born alive, I, at least, have confidence that a doctor who is in that room is going to make sure that they're looked after." Of course, the idea that otherwise viable babies are regularly "born alive" during abortions is an invention of the anti-choice movement

The federal government DOESN'T fund abortions, haven't you heard of the Hyde Amendment? Funding Planned Parenthood doesn't mean funding abortions which is only about 2% of PP's work. PP must keep funds separate and carefully account for all federal money. Statistics show that for every government dollar spent on family planning, $4 of tax money is saved. I think its a good buy.

LOL, yea I guess killing babies could be a cost saving in some cases.
Please show where only 2% of PP 's work is abortions. That has got to be way too low.

We won't be defunding Planned parenthood anytime soon.
Obama pledged to Planned Parenthood: “I will not yield” to pro-life concerns :: Catholic News Agency (CNA)

Washington D.C., Feb 28, 2008 / 06:15 am - On Wednesday a full transcript of Democrat presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama’s July 2007 speech to the Planned Parenthood Action Fund in which he vigorously defended legalized abortion became available.
In the July 17 speech, Obama attacked the Supreme Court decision that upheld the federal partial-birth abortion ban and the nomination of Supreme Court justices who favor overturning Roe v. Wade. In the speech the senator said, "There will always be people, many of goodwill, who do not share my view on the issue of choice. On this fundamental issue, I will not yield and Planned Parenthood will not yield."

Funding PP is a wise choice, it's spending that saves money.

Counterattack in family planning battle - Politics - More politics - msnbc.com

NEW YORK — Publicly funded family planning prevents nearly 2 million unintended pregnancies and more than 800,000 abortions in the United States each year, saving billions of dollars, according to new research intended to counter conservative objections to expanding the program.

The data is in a report being released Tuesday by the Guttmacher Institute, a reproductive-health think tank whose research is generally respected even by experts and activists who don't share its advocacy of abortion rights.

Report co-author Rachel Benson Gold called the family planning program "smart government at its best," asserting that every dollar spent on it saves taxpayers $4 in costs associated with unintended births to mothers eligible for Medicaid-funded natal care.

LOL, yea I guess killing babies could be a cost saving in some cases.
Please show where only 2% of PP 's work is abortions. That has got to be way too low.

you should educate yourself, then. planned parenthood is a great community asset.

Back
Top Bottom