• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pro-life advocates in Texas dismayed over how their new law is being enforced.

I meant, how has RvW been poorly implemented. Almost everyone agrees the TX end-run is bullshit.

No. No I don't think so.
Yes, factually it is so. Are you involved in this sub-forum and dont know that?

Shouldn’t Texas leaders be more focused on their power grid?

You mean that a 21st-century law that acts like the Old West isn't sitting well with Texans? I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked!

Gun ownership....what kind of guns? All guns?

Gun ownership....what kind of guns? All guns?
Dark Wizard is advising pro-choice people to find common ground with the other side. He's not so enthusiastic about finding any common ground on gun legislation for some reason....

Your common ground is respecting rights you agree with, but not the ones you dislike? LOL.
My common ground is that I respect rights that are enumerated in the constitution. If it's not enumerated, it's not worth respecting until there is cause to

Dark Wizard is advising pro-choice people to find common ground with the other side. He's not so enthusiastic about finding any common ground on gun legislation for some reason....
except you're talking to someone who's found much common ground with gun control advocates already, so the joke's on you.

or, you know, read the constitution.

"shall not be infringed" is pretty crystal.

it means i don't agree, and that's just how it is. I have no desire to change her opinion, however ridiculous it may be, but she seems to have every desire to change mine, so I refuse to budge.

My common ground is that I respect rights that are enumerated in the constitution. If it's not enumerated, it's not worth respecting until there is cause to
I dont really understand what constitutes "until there is cause to."

Can you explain if you think there's cause not to respect a woman's right to abortion? And if not, why not?

Other non-enumerated rights include the right to adults having consensual sex, the right to move to another state, the right to reproduce. Just some examples. I think I'd like to see how your explanation applies to those too...whatever it may be.

Reactions: JMR
it means i don't agree, and that's just how it is. I have no desire to change her opinion, however ridiculous it may be, but she seems to have every desire to change mine, so I refuse to budge.
I dont expect you to 'budge.' I do expect you to come to a discussion forum with a rational, justifiable reason for your opinion.

You dont seem to. And yet, the Const stands as the current authority on this issue.

I meant, how has RvW been poorly implemented. Almost everyone agrees the TX end-run is bullshit.
I never said RvW was poorly implemented. I said the texas law was poorly implemented.

I think RvW was poorly WRITTEN, but for completely different reasons, and I never brought that up to begin with.
Yes, factually it is so. Are you involved in this sub-forum and dont know that?
Well, factually, it's only your opinion, and I don't HAVE to agree with it, and I won't.

I never said RvW was poorly implemented. I said the texas law was poorly implemented.

I think RvW was poorly WRITTEN, but for completely different reasons, and I never brought that up to begin with.

Which apparently you choose not to share? Uh huh.

Well, factually, it's only your opinion, and I don't HAVE to agree with it, and I won't.

No, factually it's not just my opinion, that's what 'not just my opinion' means. If you choose not to agree with the Const and several (and consistent) SCOTUS interpretations of that, of course that's up to you.

But again...it seems odd you come here and refuse to debate or at least learn.

I dont really understand what constitutes "until there is cause to."
don't worry about it. Point is, gun ownership rights are enumerated in the constitution. Abortion "rights" are not. Download a doc of the constitution, ctrl+f, and then type in "abortion", and you will find it shows up 0 times. You may not like that fact, but that's just how it is.
Can you explain if you think there's cause not to respect a woman's right to abortion? And if not, why not?
there isn't. It comes into conflict with other's rights, namely the right to life. The reality of the situation is that, without life, liberty doesn't exist. Life must come first.
Other non-enumerated rights include the right to adults having consensual sex, the right to move to another state, the right to reproduce. Just some examples. I think I'd like to see how your explanation applies to those too...whatever it may be.
non-enumerated rights are those implied by the constitution, from inferring in its text. For example, the right to vote.

There is no right to reproduce. I, as a man, can't go up to a woman and force her to have sex with me, and tell here "It's okay, I have a right to reproduce". It doesn't exist. No one has a right to someone else's consent.

If you want to "reproduce" so badly, I suggest first recognizing that you don't have that right, and that people are only going to consent if you bring something of value to the table.

Which apparently you choose not to share? Uh huh.
I don't like to waste the time on tangents. We're talking about the texas law, as is the topic of the thread.
No, factually it's not just my opinion, that's what 'not just my opinion' means. If you choose not to agree with the Const and several (and consistent) SCOTUS interpretations of that, of course that's up to you.
I agree with the scotus decision to let the texas law go into effect, yes.
But again...it seems odd you come here and refuse to debate or at least learn.
a tangent isn't a debate. If you want to debate the tangent, have at it. but I'm here to discuss the texas law, the topic of the thread.

Last edited:
Have you ever tried to come up with a legislative 'middle ground' that will satisfy the anti-abortion coalition sufficient that any of them would endorse your 'compromise legislation' ? I have been looking for that recipe for about 40 years now.
Sometime during the 1990s (I think) there were efforts to discuss areas of agreement. Several formal and informal conferences were held by different groups in different places with the invited participants screened to weed out the extremes of both sides. It turned out that people from both sides had points upon which they wouldn't compromise but the pro-life advocates reached their no compromise point so early into the discussions that most of these groups fizzled. The consensus was that agreement was impossible. There have not been any efforts since to discuss points of agreement. In fact the pro-life movement has gotten more and more extreme. The Texas law is the culmination of this increasing extremism.

or, you know, read the constitution.

"shall not be infringed" is pretty crystal.
I am never super impressed when folks who have not even taken a one hour seminar in basic statutory interpretation, or English common law ( which I haven't either), tell me how easy it is to interpret the Constitution. Law degrees are fairly important in this field. At least I know what I do not know, that is relevant to the disciplines on display when an appellate court writes an opinion.

Last edited:
hmmm, I think the fault is on those who "evolve" their way out of bounds set by the constitution.

It still doesnt mean that women dont have the right to abortion and I gave you clear examples. Why did you ignore them? Do adults have the right to consensual sex? To move to another state? Those are unenumerated, but still are rights. Yes?

there isn't. It comes into conflict with other's rights, namely the right to life. The reality of the situation is that, without life, liberty doesn't exist. Life must come first.

The unborn has no right to life. Enumerated definitely not. It explicitly does not. So there is no conflict. Or...what conflict do you believe exists?

non-enumerated rights are those implied by the constitution, from inferring in its text. For example, the right to vote.

And they're still rights, correct? And the govt is tasked with protecting them, unless there's due process otherwise, correct?

So again...where is the weakness you believe exists in a woman's right to choose abortion?

There is no right to reproduce. I, as a man, can't go up to a woman and force her to have sex with me, and tell here "It's okay, I have a right to reproduce". It doesn't exist. No one has a right to someone else's consent.

Yes, there is. The govt doesnt have to give you a gun for there to be a 2A, does it? No of course not. Rights are something the govt protects and may not interfere with without due process. It's not responsible for you exercising it

If you want to "reproduce" so badly, I suggest first recognizing that you don't have that right, and that people are only going to consent if you bring something of value to the table.
Well we just settled that that's untrue...that we do have a right to reproduce. And what is 'value' they're 'bringing to the table?' Please explain.

If a woman wants to carry out a pregnancy and give birth...she absolutely has that right. The right isnt about consenting to sex, it's about reproducing. Yes or no? Does she have that right or not?

hmmm, I think the fault is on those who "evolve" their way out of bounds set by the constitution.
Of course you do. I can tell simply because you have your four favorite words, you like to quote. That's why you may not be in the best position to give any lectures on the topic of 'compromise' when section of statutes are written that make challenge Roe v Wade, or US v Miller, or the Washington DC v Heller cases ( the one that makes you swoon) are discussed.

I don't like to waste the time on tangents. We're talking about the texas law, as is the topic of the thread.

I agree with the scotus decision to let the texas law go into effect, yes.

LOL that's fine. It will be interesting. People keep bringing up gun laws in this discussion because it will be easy to apply the same exact thing to gun ownership and carrying. So let's see how it plays out.

a tangent isn't a debate. If you want to debate the tangent, have at it. but I'm here to discuss the texas law, the topic of the thread.
Yeah, you are just avoiding the actual conversation. It's not hard to tell why. Your understanding of the Const is impressively poor.

It still doesnt mean that women dont have the right to abortion and I gave you clear examples. Why did you ignore them? Do adults have the right to consensual sex? To move to another state? Those are unenumerated, but still are rights. Yes?
I disagree.
The unborn has no right to life. Enumerated definitely not. It explicitly does not. So there is no conflict. Or...what conflict do you believe exists?
again, I disagree, and I've told you a hundred times now and in previous threads, along with the reasons why. Are you going to talk about the texas law, or not?
And they're still rights, correct? And the govt is tasked with protecting them, unless there's due process otherwise, correct?
incorrect.
So again...where is the weakness you believe exists in a woman's right to choose abortion?
I've already told you in previous threads. As it's not relevant to this thread, I'll leave it to you to look it up.
Yes, there is. The govt doesnt have to give you a gun for there to be a 2A, does it? No of course not. Rights are something the govt protects and may not interfere with
The government protects banks. Are banks rights?

No, they're just banks, and corrupt ones at that.

without due process.
Scotus seemed to disagree with you on that recently.
Well we just settled that that's untrue...that we do have a right to reproduce. And what is 'value' they're 'bringing to the table?' Please explain.
disagreed. In fact, there are states that forcibly castrate people, and it's entirely legal.
If a woman wants to carry out a pregnancy and give birth...she absolutely has that right. The right isnt about consenting to sex, it's about reproducing. Yes or no? Does she have that right or not?
If I refuse to consent, you don't have a right to reproduce with me.

If, for some reason, I did consent, it's a privilege. No one owes you sex. The government doesn't owe you sex, or any sort of reproduction.

LOL that's fine. It will be interesting. People keep bringing up gun laws in this discussion because it will be easy to apply the same exact thing to gun ownership and carrying. So let's see how it plays out.
why stop at gun laws? Why not bring up free speech, free press, or trial by jury? According to you, it would be the same thing as....gun rights.

and yet, I bet you're not for limiting free speech at all, are you? Hell, you're not even for limiting abortion. But gun rights....you will limit as much as you can.

so you wanted to talk about this subject, so I'll simply ask you the question. Why do you support limiting gun rights, and not abortion rights? or for that matter, freedom of the press?
Yeah, you are just avoiding the actual conversation. It's not hard to tell why. Your understanding of the Const is impressively poor.
I don't think it benefits you in any way to go off topic.

I'm sure when the constitution says "abortion rights....shall not be infringed", you will let me know!

Disagree all you want. It doesnt change the Const or the SCOTUS interpretations that support it. "Are banks rights?" That's ludicrous

The govt protects individual's property rights. Are you confusing that with "property having rights?' Jeebus.

Scotus seemed to disagree with you on that recently.

Where? Be specific and if you mean the TX law, no they deliberately did not.

disagreed. In fact, there are states that forcibly castrate people, and it's entirely legal.

Please source that this is done without their consent. Otherwise, more bullshit.

If I refuse to consent, you don't have a right to reproduce with me.

That has nothing to do with a pregnant woman's right to reproduce. Her right to do so is protected. Goodness, you either couldnt understand what I wrote...or dont want to. The govt protects our rights to own guns...that has nothing to do with how we procure our guns or if we ever do so.

This is grammar school-level civics.

If, for some reason, I did consent, it's a privilege. No one owes you sex. The government doesn't owe you sex, or any sort of reproduction.
Never claimed anyone owed anything. Do you need to look up 'consensual?' WHy are you discussing the govt owing anyone anything? The govt doesnt owe anyone rights...OMG Rights are recognized and the govt protects them. Holy shit do you really not know this stuff?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…