• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pro-illegal scum mock civil right activist of the past

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
How is spitting in the faces of Martin Luther Kind jr and other civil rights leaders of the past going to win illegals any cool points?

My Way News - Student immigrants use civil rights-era strategies
BOSTON (AP) - They gather on statehouse steps with signs and bullhorns, risking arrest. They attend workshops on civil disobedience and personal storytelling, and they hold sit-ins and walk out of class in protest. They're being warned that they could even lose their lives.

Students fighting laws that target illegal immigrants are taking a page from the civil rights era, adopting tactics and gathering praise and momentum from the demonstrators who marched in the streets and sat at segregated lunch counters as they sought to turn the public tide against racial segregation.

"Their struggle then is ours now," said Deivid Ribeiro, 21, an illegal immigrant from Brazil and an aspiring physicist. "Like it was for them, this is about survival for us. We have no choice."

Undocumented students, many of whom consider themselves "culturally American" because they have lived in the U.S. most of their lives, don't qualify for federal financial aid and can't get in-state tuition rates in some places. They are drawing parallels between themselves and the 1950s segregation of black and Mexican-American students.

"I think it's genius," said Amilcar Shabazz, chairman of the W.E.B. DuBois Department of Afro-American Studies at the University of Massachusetts. "If you want to figure out how to get your story out and change the political mood in America, everybody knows the place to start your studies is the civil rights movement."

For two years, Renata Teodoro lived in fear of being deported to her native Brazil, like her mother, brother and sister. She reserved her social contact for close friends, was extra careful about signing her name anywhere, and fretted whenever anyone asked about her immigration status, because she been living illegally in the United States since she was 6.

Yet on a recent afternoon, Teodoro gathered with other illegal immigrants outside the Massachusetts Statehouse with signs, fliers and a bullhorn - then marched the streets of Boston, putting herself in danger of arrest by going public but hoping her new openness would prompt action on the DREAM Act, a federal bill to allow people like her a pathway to citizenship via college enrollment or military service.

"I don't care. I can't live like this anymore," said Teodoro, 22, a leader of the Student Immigration Movement and a part-time student at UMass-Boston. "I'm not afraid, and I have to take a stand."

The shift has been building, said Tom Shields, a doctoral student at Brandeis University in Waltham who is studying the new student movement.

"In recent months, there has been an interest in connecting the narrative of their struggle to the civil rights effort for education," Shields said.

The movement has gained attention of Congress. Sens. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., and Richard Lugar, R-Ind., sent a letter to Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano in April, asking her to halt deportations of immigrant students who could earn legal status under DREAM, which stands for the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors act, and which they're sponsoring.

Last month, three illegal immigrant students demanding to meet with Arizona Sen. John McCain about DREAM were arrested and later detained for refusing to leave his Tucson office. High school and college students in Chicago and Denver walked out of class this year to protest Arizona's tough new law requiring immigrants to carry registration papers. In December, immigrant students staged a "Trail of Dreams" march from Miami's historic Freedom Tower to Washington, D.C., to raise support for DREAM.

Similar student immigrant groups have sprung up at the University of California at Los Angeles and the University of Houston.

By attaching themselves to the civil rights movement, Shabazz said, the immigrant students can claim the moral high ground and underdog status of the debate.

Given that many black leaders support freedom to immigrate and King himself never made any statements on the matter, I don't think he'd mind pro-immigration people using the tactics he helped pioneer.

jamesrage said:
How is spitting in the faces of Martin Luther Kind jr and other civil rights leaders of the past going to win illegals any cool points?

Does it ever occur to you that there are other opinions on what public policy should be for illegal immigration, other than your view of simply tossing them out of the country?

My next question is, do you really think that MLK Jr. would have supported anti-illegal immigration policy? If you arrive at the honest answer, which is no, then you can understand why these people would echo his ideology in their protest.

And regardless if we agree with current policy or not, the protest has obviously gained them some attention. After all, you posted it to DP, didn't you?

Id agree with James on more things if he didnt use such vile language... I mean its hard for me to imagine me saying "O ya I agree with that guy over there who refers to people as scum for their views and claims a monopoly on morality and understanding of law"

Last edited:
These people spit on the legacy of Dr. King.

Given that many black leaders support freedom to immigrate and King himself never made any statements on the matter, I don't think he'd mind pro-immigration people using the tactics he helped pioneer.

The only immigration comments in the whole movement was made by Cesar Chavez, and he came out heavily against illegal immigration citing that it drives down wages and hurts American workers.

Does it ever occur to you that there are other opinions on what public policy should be for illegal immigration, other than your view of simply tossing them out of the country?

My next question is, do you really think that MLK Jr. would have supported anti-illegal immigration policy? If you arrive at the honest answer, which is no, then you can understand why these people would echo his ideology in their protest.

And regardless if we agree with current policy or not, the protest has obviously gained them some attention. After all, you posted it to DP, didn't you?

Yes there are other options besides total deportation. The problem is complex, but a start would be to secure the borders and stop in influx. As far as those that have been in the US for years, maybe a heavy fine, probation if they have a clean record. For others, then deport them.

IMO, MLK would not support illegal entry into the US.

Does it ever occur to you that there are other opinions on what public policy should be for illegal immigration,

I am well aware of the pro-illegals stance on illegal immigration. Most Americans do not want amnesty especially seeing how the Reagan Amnesty screwed us by rewarding 3 million trespassers and encouraging 12-20 million more to trespass into this country hoping to get their shot at amnesty all while the government undermine the border and performs occasional token raids to make it appear that they are doing their job.

other than your view of simply tossing them out of the country?

Yes there are other options besides mass round up. There is encouraging illegals to go home. A lot of this can be accomplished by simply doing what Arizona and Oklahoma did. There is also some back up measures too that can be enacted and enforced to encourage illegals to go home.

Seeing how there is no evidence to support that claim much like the unsubstantiated claim by racists nutjobs that MLK jr is a communist, I seriously doubt that claim. I also doubt that MLK jr would compare trespassing into another country and expecting to not be treated like a trespasser or criminal a right.

There is a difference between positive attention and negative attention. Mocking civil rights activist of the past will only get them negative attention. Trespassing into another country and expecting full rights and amnesty does not in any shape or form compare to the Americans of African decent that have suffered under Segregation, Jim crow laws and other mistreatment. Those who actually went through that period of time in the US should be highly offended at what these illegals and proillegals are doing.Heck the legal immigrants should be offended by the racist tactic that illegals and pro-illegals like to use which is lump legal immigrants and illegals together. Any decent American that is not a immigrant regardless of race should be offended by these tactics of pro-illegals as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom