• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pro-gun senators slammed in polls, country at ‘turning point,’ says Sen. Chuck Schume

Catawba

Disappointed Evolutionist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
"The harsh reaction some senators are facing in their home states for voting down new background checks on gun purchasers shows the U.S. might be at a “turning point,” Sen. Chuck Schumer said Wednesday.

“One of the big changes, and one of the reasons that I am truly optimistic we will get something done, is that I am hearing support for gun safety in places I've never heard it before,” Schumer told the Daily News.

“We're at a turning point now, even in redder states, the broad middle is now engaged, and saying they want common sense measures,” he added.
Schumer was referring to intense blowback that some of his fellow lawmakers have experienced in their home states ever since they voted against tighter gun-sales background checks."

Re: Pro-gun senators slammed in polls, country at ‘turning point,’ says Sen. Chuck Sc

It won't be a turning point for the right; it is a turning point for the left to have their President's agenda thrown back into his face with the help of fellow democrats.

Re: Pro-gun senators slammed in polls, country at ‘turning point,’ says Sen. Chuck Sc

This is a "Be careful what you wish for" scenario. Yes the people want the idea of UBCs but when they pass the 27,000 page deficit spending big government freedom crushing bill that we have to pass to find out what is in it, it will be too late.

I doubt these 'polls' considered the fact that the reason these Senators voted against more laws is because their constituents WANTED IT THAT WAY?

It won't be a turning point for the right; it is a turning point for the left to have their President's agenda thrown back into his face with the help of fellow democrats.

Only 4 Democrat Senators voted against expanding background checks, vs 50 Republican Senators that voted against it.

Its funny watching Liberal sites (like Huffpo) celebrate this as if enough of them will care to write their politicians or vote to the degree we 2nd Amendment proponents do.

Just wait until this next election, the gun grabbers will pay for violating their oath. It'll be 1996 all over again.

I doubt these 'polls' considered the fact that the reason these Senators voted against more laws is because their constituents WANTED IT THAT WAY?

Apparently, many of their constituents are not happy with their vote or these Senators wouldn't be dropping in polls.

Here's a poll that actually makes 'some' sense: [hint, it's not 90%]

4-24-13-1.jpg

"The harsh reaction some senators are facing in their home states for voting down new background checks on gun purchasers shows the U.S. might be at a “turning point,” Sen. Chuck Schumer said Wednesday.

“One of the big changes, and one of the reasons that I am truly optimistic we will get something done, is that I am hearing support for gun safety in places I've never heard it before,” Schumer told the Daily News.

“We're at a turning point now, even in redder states, the broad middle is now engaged, and saying they want common sense measures,” he added.
Schumer was referring to intense blowback that some of his fellow lawmakers have experienced in their home states ever since they voted against tighter gun-sales background checks."

I think Schummer is wrong. According to USA support for new gun control laws has dropped from 90% to 46% and is falling. Reading Larry Sabato's crystal ball report, no GOP senator is in trouble or even in the toss up column for the up coming mid terms. Charlie Cook backs this up. In the states where the majority of people want more gun control, they are already controlled by the Democrats. In the states that want less gun control, it is here such as West Virginia, Montana, Alaska, Louisiana, Arkansas, South Dakota and North Carolina that the Democratic candidates are in trouble. Hence, Begich, Pryor, Baucus's vote against the new gun control bill. Heidkamp from North Dakota, although not running in 2014 was another Democrat who voted against the bill as per her constituents wishes.

One small problem Catwaba from your own article...

Except for Begich, none of these Senators are up for re-election until at least 2016, and Flake and Heller won't face voters again until 2018. It remains to be seen if gun issues will continue to resonate that far down the road.

Talk about overblown nonsense.

I would love to see these polls that are being used to determine pro-gun Senators are being slammed. My guess is the polls will be a little skewed.

This is a "Be careful what you wish for" scenario. Yes the people want the idea of UBCs but when they pass the 27,000 page deficit spending big government freedom crushing bill that we have to pass to find out what is in it, it will be too late.
Great argument. Actually, it's a terrible one, but I imagine you felt good making it.
Not according to Pat Toomey. According to Toomey, they voted that way because they didn't want to be seen siding with Obama.

"In the end, it didn't pass because we're so politicized. There were some on my side who did not want to be seen helping the president do something he wanted to get done, just because the president wanted to do it," Toomey said.
Toomey on gun laws: GOP didn’t want to be seen helping Obama – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Not that it comes as any real shock to those who have been paying attention to the Republican Party over the last few years.

Only 4 Democrat Senators voted against expanding background checks, vs 50 Republican Senators that voted against it.

Nationwide, a Gallup poll taken a week after the Senate vote indicated that only 65 percent of Americans thought the Senate should have passed a bill to "expand background checks for gun purchases," with 29 percent saying the Senate should not have passed it.

That's much lower than 90 percent support, obviously.

Also interesting: The new poll showed that general support for an expanded background check law fell from 91 percent in mid-January to 83 percent.

"The bill is 49 pages long: Does the 90 percent relate to the 49 pages of law that they're talking about?" asks Alan Korwin, local gun-rights advocate and author. "They're lying to your face on the surface of it."

Korwin also suggested that if the polls would show that Americans are highly skeptical that expanded background checks would do much to curb gun violence. He points out that a self-reported national survey of police in March showed that the vast majority cops believe that President Obama's gun-control suggestions would have no effect on their safety.

The Myth of the "90 Percent" Support for Failed Background Check Bill - Phoenix - News - Valley Fever

I think Schummer is wrong. According to USA support for new gun control laws has dropped from 90% to 46% and is falling. Reading Larry Sabato's crystal ball report, no GOP senator is in trouble or even in the toss up column for the up coming mid terms. Charlie Cook backs this up. In the states where the majority of people want more gun control, they are already controlled by the Democrats. In the states that want less gun control, it is here such as West Virginia, Montana, Alaska, Louisiana, Arkansas, South Dakota and North Carolina that the Democratic candidates are in trouble. Hence, Begich, Pryor, Baucus's vote against the new gun control bill. Heidkamp from North Dakota, although not running in 2014 was another Democrat who voted against the bill as per her constituents wishes.

Good afternoon, Pero. :2wave:

I decided quite a while ago to take whatever Schumer says with a grain of salt...no, make that a handful of salt! :2razz:

Great argument. Actually, it's a terrible one, but I imagine you felt good making it.

"The bill is 49 pages long: Does the 90 percent relate to the 49 pages of law that they're talking about?" asks Alan Korwin, local gun-rights advocate and author. "They're lying to your face on the surface of it."

How about that I'm not the only one making that argument.

How Jeff Flake Became the Most Unpopular Senator in America

"Flake, a popular six-time Congressman who won previous elections with as much as 74 percent of the vote, strode into the seat of former Minority Whip Jon Kyl as a face of turnaround for the state and the Republican party. But, oh, how the mighty can fall in a time of guns, immigration, and constant polling.
The Numbers

Public Policy Polling, in their latest survey on the fallout of the recent vote on gun legislation, explains just how much people don't like Mr. Flake:

Just 32% of voters approve of him to 51% who disapprove and that -19 net approval rating makes him the most unpopular sitting Senator we've polled on, taking that label from Mitch McConnell."

How Jeff Flake Became the Most Unpopular Senator in America - Alexander Abad-Santos - The Atlantic Wire

How about that I'm not the only one making that argument.
I don't care how many people make the argument, it's still a terrible argument. :shrug:

We know that is why we keep voting for them.

Congratulations, you support paying people to get nothing done. I hope you're proud.

On a side note, could I work for you? I promise I'll do a great job of doing nothing as long as you pay me.

Expanding background checks more popular among Republicans without Senate in mix

"When the Senate rejected an amendment to expand background checks on gun sales earlier this month, it was moving against the desire of an overwhelming majority of Americans, poll after poll showed.

In the aftermath of the vote, most Americans said they believe the Senate shouldn’t have rejected background checks. And even more Americans — including a clear majority of Republicans — support expanding background checks with the Senate entirely removed from the equation, new data from Gallup show."

Expanding background checks more popular among Republicans without Senate in mix

I decided quite a while ago to take whatever Schumer says with a grain of salt...no, make that a handful of salt! :2razz:

Hi lady P.

Personally I ignore what Schumer says,cause if I listen I might break something.

In this great economy I might not be able to replace it.:mrgreen:

I don't care how many people make the argument, it's still a terrible argument. :shrug:

Congratulations, you support paying people to get nothing done. I hope you're proud.

On a side note, could I work for you? I promise I'll do a great job of doing nothing as long as you pay me.

So you seriously think people that agree with the idea of UBC will also support all the BS included in a 49 page bill? Unlikely.

They are making sure Obama gets nothing done and since I oppose everything he does I am quite proud indeed.

So you seriously think people that agree with the idea of UBC will also support all the BS included in a 49 page bill? Unlikely.
I read the 49 page Manchin-Toomey Amendment, I imagine most people probably would support it. What specific problem did you have a problem with it?

By the way, I notice you trying to change the context of the discussion from your original terrible argument. I don't mind going with you, but I do appreciate your acquiescence that your argument was terrible.
They are making sure Obama gets nothing done and since I oppose everything he does I am quite proud indeed.
Exactly, you support wasteful government spending on people whose sole intention is to make sure nothing is done to help Americans. Can I have a job now? I promise I'll do nothing.

If Schumer was looking at New York or most of the Northeast he is probably correct. The problem is that there are no Republican Senators running for re-election there with the exception of Collins from Maine and she voted for the bill. Any Republican from the South or the plain states voting for it and running for re-election next year would have probably doomed his chances. What some people do not recognize is different parts of the country have differing views on things like this.

I read the 49 page Manchin-Toomey Amendment, I imagine most people probably would support it. What specific problem did you have a problem with it?

By the way, I notice you trying to change the context of the discussion from your original terrible argument. I don't mind going with you, but I do appreciate your acquiescence that your argument was terrible.

Exactly, you support wasteful government spending on people whose sole intention is to make sure nothing is done to help Americans. Can I have a job now? I promise I'll do nothing.

I changed nothing in my argument other than the swipe at Obamacare.

How is it wasteful spending to spend a few hours salary to prevent bills that will cost hundreds of billions over the years that follow?

It helps Americans to spend them into economic collapse,... How's that work exactly?

If Schumer was looking at New York or most of the Northeast he is probably correct. The problem is that there are no Republican Senators running for re-election there with the exception of Collins from Maine and she voted for the bill. Any Republican from the South or the plain states voting for it and running for re-election next year would have probably doomed his chances. What some people do not recognize is different parts of the country have differing views on things like this.

Show us which states have been polled that show a majority of voters are opposed to expanded background checks. Thanks!

I changed nothing in my argument other than the swipe at Obamacare.
Yes, you did. You compared barely related things together, to try and create a false narrative which essentially said (paraphrased), "People should not support UBC because it will lead to a 27,000 page rights infringing bill". You've gotten away from the fallacious argument that UCB will cause "deficit spending big government freedom crushing" legislation and have turned that into a conversation about Manchin-Toomey.

It's okay, I don't blame you. I'd rather talk about Manchin-Toomey than your ridiculous fear-mongering anyways. Therefore, could you please tell me what part of the 49 page amendment you had serious issues with?

How is it wasteful spending to spend a few hours salary to prevent bills that will cost hundreds of billions over the years that follow?
You're again trying to change the narrative.

You're advocating spending federal dollars for no results. Literally, you want to give the government money to do nothing. You never did answer if I could have a job.

Back
Top Bottom