• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pro-gun senators slammed in polls, country at ‘turning point,’ says Sen. Chuck Schume

Re: Pro-gun senators slammed in polls, country at ‘turning point,’ says Sen. Chuck Sc

Right...so don't ever complain about the state of the economy, because you have just said you support nothing being done.

I support not allowing liberal spend-o-crats to make it worse. That is not the same thing but if it makes you feel like you are winning the argument by being intellectually dishonest go ahead and delude yourself.

Re: Pro-gun senators slammed in polls, country at ‘turning point,’ says Sen. Chuck Sc

I support not allowing liberal spend-o-crats to make it worse. That is not the same thing but if it makes you feel like you are winning the argument by being intellectually dishonest go ahead and delude yourself.
I'm not being intellectually dishonest, I'm challenging you to remain intellectually honest. You say you support Republicans making sure nothing happens. If Republicans are preventing anything from happening, then you cannot blame Obama for the economy in its current state. Obama has things he wants to do try and fix it but is not being allowed to by Republicans. Thus, nothing is happening.

So, if you wish to remain intellectually honest, you can never blame the economy on Obama.

Did you even read it? I'm guessing you didn't read it either.

I think you are the one who rarely reads the responses of others

I'm not being intellectually dishonest, I'm challenging you to remain intellectually honest. You say you support Republicans making sure nothing happens. If Republicans are preventing anything from happening, then you cannot blame Obama for the economy in its current state. Obama has things he wants to do try and fix it but is not being allowed to by Republicans. Thus, nothing is happening.

So, if you wish to remain intellectually honest, you can never blame the economy on Obama.

You're presuming that the republicans are entirely successful and that is not the case. The counter argument is that stuff was passed despite protest and has contributed. Perhaps try it again without the absolutes. Another counter argument is that stagnation is better than what is proposed and rejected.

More crap as I suspected. Lets see if you can connect the dots.

You make the statement:

Obama has things he wants to do try and fix it but is not being allowed to by Republicans.

The truth is Obama is a big spending liberal piece of **** that if left to "fix" the economy would in fact only collapse the economy.

He is not being allowed to do that by the Republicans. Best news I heard all day.

BTW - I don't just blame Obama for the economy, I blame liberalism.

Here you go,

USA TODAY Poll: Public support for gun control ebbs

I haven't seen any state polls on gun control, but I think I can pretty much say where each state stands on it with a few exceptions. It is nothing more than common sense. I know around where I live, people tend to hold their breath when ever any type of gun control legislation is proposed and once it fails, let out a sigh of relieve.

Of course most folks around me were brought up with guns in the house and at a time when about the only gun law on the books was the one that said you can't own a Thompson sub machine gun. Yet back then with hardly no gun laws at all, there were no Columbines or Sandy Hooks. No idiots than went on rampages. Something has gone wrong with society, find out what that is and correct it, then no one will need any gun laws outside of the one I can remember.

As previously noted, your poll is not specific to expanded background checks.

This new Gallup poll, posted earlier, is:

"Americans Wanted Gun Background Checks to Pass Senate
Support varies from 85% among Democrats to 45% among Republicans"

Americans Wanted Gun Background Checks to Pass Senate

"The harsh reaction some senators are facing in their home states for voting down new background checks on gun purchasers shows the U.S. might be at a “turning point,” Sen. Chuck Schumer said Wednesday.

“One of the big changes, and one of the reasons that I am truly optimistic we will get something done, is that I am hearing support for gun safety in places I've never heard it before,” Schumer told the Daily News.

“We're at a turning point now, even in redder states, the broad middle is now engaged, and saying they want common sense measures,” he added.
Schumer was referring to intense blowback that some of his fellow lawmakers have experienced in their home states ever since they voted against tighter gun-sales background checks."

Ho hum.

I like complacency on the part of conservatives in response to disapproval by the majority and renewed vigor to capitalize on that complacency.

Good afternoon, SMTA. :2wave:

:agreed: The thing was voted on, and it failed, since even Democrats voted against it, so why is Schumer whining about it? Because he didn't get his way? That's the way the system is supposed to work...Congress theoretically votes the way their constituents want them to, not how Schumer or BHO wants them to! Sheesh! :thumbdown:

I like complacency on the part of conservatives in response to disapproval by the majority and renewed vigor to capitalize on that complacency.

Wrong - I am not a conservative.

Intelligence transcends all bounds, including political labels.

You lose.

As previously noted, your poll is not specific to expanded background checks.

This new Gallup poll, posted earlier, is:

"Americans Wanted Gun Background Checks to Pass Senate
Support varies from 85% among Democrats to 45% among Republicans"

Americans Wanted Gun Background Checks to Pass Senate

Okay, I stand corrected. But like a lot of folks down south or in the plain states I always throw an leery eye towards Washington when they take up any gun control bill. I still think looking into why society is now producing people who are willing to commit a Columbine or Sandy Hook would do more for this nation to curb these things than any gun control bill.

Perhaps being as old as I am and one who can remember when there was hardly no gun control laws at all and also no violence like today, how more gun control laws can cut back on that violence. Guns in school, when I went to school you could look out at the parking lot and you would always see a few pickups with gun racks in the back with rifles and shotguns in them. They belonged to the teachers and principal. Also they never locked the doors to their vehicles either. So if we had all these guns, access to guns and very little gun laws on the books back then, why didn't these Columbines and Sandy Hooks take place in my era or generation so to speak?

Good afternoon, SMTA. :2wave:

:agreed: The thing was voted on, and it failed, since even Democrats voted against it, so why is Schumer whining about it? Because he didn't get his way? That's the way the system is supposed to work...Congress theoretically votes the way their constituents want them to, not how Schumer or BHO wants them to! Sheesh! :thumbdown:

Good afternoon, PG!

The blind stupidity of the anti gun crowd is entertaining!

In spite of their recent defeat, they still claim that bazillions of Americans support gun control.

I find their desperation to be similar to a Who's On First routine!

Why does NRA leadership encourage people with mental problems and other issues to go to gun shows where there are no background checks? Like the ones in Northern Indiana near Chicago?

You lose.

That's what we were told before the last election, by those who believed the polls were wrong. So I'll take that with a grain of salt.

Okay, I stand corrected.
I wouldn't exactly put weight behind a Gallop poll. Besides, these ad populum appeals have been used for far too long to end around the constitution, if I had my way polling would be ended for a generation to make these politicians vote their ideology and finally rid ourselves of much of the trash.

Okay, I stand corrected. But like a lot of folks down south or in the plain states I always throw an leery eye towards Washington when they take up any gun control bill. I still think looking into why society is now producing people who are willing to commit a Columbine or Sandy Hook would do more for this nation to curb these things than any gun control bill.

Perhaps being as old as I am and one who can remember when there was hardly no gun control laws at all and also no violence like today, how more gun control laws can cut back on that violence. Guns in school, when I went to school you could look out at the parking lot and you would always see a few pickups with gun racks in the back with rifles and shotguns in them. They belonged to the teachers and principal. Also they never locked the doors to their vehicles either. So if we had all these guns, access to guns and very little gun laws on the books back then, why didn't these Columbines and Sandy Hooks take place in my era or generation so to speak?

I don't see this as the answer being either one way or the other, it needs to be addressed from all sides. Most people agree that its a good idea to require a background check to reduce the possibility of criminals and the mentally deranged from buying guns. Millions of guns have been sold to law abiding citizens that passed the background check. That's why even a majority of gun owners support UBC.

Good afternoon, PG!

The blind stupidity of the anti gun crowd is entertaining!

In spite of their recent defeat, they still claim that bazillions of Americans support gun control.

I find their desperation to be similar to a Who's On First routine!

Well, they never were good at math, as our nearly $17 trillion dollar deficit doesn't seem to resonate enough to make them understand that they should be concerned about not adding more and more debt.

I would also suggest that they join Michael Moore...sarcasm intended... in directing their efforts towards helping the mentally ill, instead of targeting legal gun owners who already undergo background checks. I might as well wish for the moon...I'll have it sooner... :thumbdown:

I wouldn't exactly put weight behind a Gallop poll. Besides, these ad populum appeals have been used for far too long to end around the constitution, if I had my way polling would be ended for a generation to make these politicians vote their ideology and finally rid ourselves of much of the trash.

I continued on with my dialogue. But he was right as far as that poll was concerned. The USA today poll was talking about gun laws, generic and not one particular law.

I don't see this as the answer being either one way or the other, it needs to be addressed from all sides. Most people agree that its a good idea to require a background check to reduce the possibility of criminals and the mentally deranged from buying guns. Millions of guns have been sold to law abiding citizens that passed the background check. That's why even a majority of gun owners support UBC.

I am always worried about encroachment and incrementalism. First this law, then a more stringent law followed by registration, followed by government approval to buy a firearm followed by confiscation. My neighbor ranted against this law because he didn't understand why a man which is perfectly law abiding and hadn't had as much as a speeding ticket had to go through a background check. He is pretty good at making things out of metal and he has a metal shop in his barn. I suppose he would just as soon make him his next shotgun as go buy one if he according to him is to be treated like a criminal and has to go through a background check. The funny part about him, I don't think he ever bought a gun in his entire life, he has an old 12 gauge which his grandpa had who handed it down to his dad which gave it to him. Yet this is the kind of reaction your gonna get down here.

Your friend could also do the same with his moonshine. This attitude goes back until at least prohibition and the 16th and Probably the Boston Tea Party. G. Washington had zero fun raising funds for the war. It's always Not In My Back Yard. At least the shiners gave us NASCAR. I have no doubt part of this gun phoniness is about not wanting to pay taxes. You can thank Reagan for that.
I am always worried about encroachment and incrementalism. First this law, then a more stringent law followed by registration, followed by government approval to buy a firearm followed by confiscation. My neighbor ranted against this law because he didn't understand why a man which is perfectly law abiding and hadn't had as much as a speeding ticket had to go through a background check. He is pretty good at making things out of metal and he has a metal shop in his barn. I suppose he would just as soon make him his next shotgun as go buy one if he according to him is to be treated like a criminal and has to go through a background check. The funny part about him, I don't think he ever bought a gun in his entire life, he has an old 12 gauge which his grandpa had who handed it down to his dad which gave it to him. Yet this is the kind of reaction your gonna get down here.

Anything can happen in ones imagination. The fact is the majority of gun owners don't mind going through an instant background check to buy their guns, and millions have done exactly that since background checks were first required for dealers in 1993, twenty years ago.

Your friend could also do the same with his moonshine. This attitude goes back until at least prohibition and the 16th and Probably the Boston Tea Party. G. Washington had zero fun raising funds for the war. It's always Not In My Back Yard. At least the shiners gave us NASCAR. I have no doubt part of this gun phoniness is about not wanting to pay taxes. You can thank Reagan for that.

you lost me in not wanting to pay taxes. I don't know of anyone who wants to, most do because it is the law. Most also do not try to get out of paying taxes and if government has a good reason, voting for an addition percent or two on a sales tax usually passes. But who wants to pay taxes?

Anything can happen in ones imagination. The fact is the majority of gun owners don't mind going through an instant background check to buy their guns, and millions have done exactly that since background checks were first required for dealers in 1993, twenty years ago.

That long huh? I can't remember ever buying a gun and going through a background check. But perhaps that was prior. I can remember the gun I bought last and for the first time I had to fill out some paper work, about a half page, you know, name, address, etc. I bought it at the army navy store. Most of my guns I inherited, from my dad and him from his dad and so on. My pride and joy is an old 1912 double barreled Damascus Steel 12 gauge. I probably should put it up in a case someplace, but I like using it to go hunting. It has a real good feel.

Only 4 Democrat Senators voted against expanding background checks, vs 50 Republican Senators that voted against it.

So you are saying there are only 4 sets of balls in the whole Democratic Senate?

It is my belief that the extreme NRAers are also extreme in not wanting to pay taxes, even if just for the sake of it. Pero, these people will go to any depth to ruin the Obama Presidency. And you know, if it bothers the NRA about Obama buying up the bullets, I hope he is doing it. While most on my team don't want to fight the lies of Repubs, I am the opposite. BTW, how close was Thailand to falling because of it's unpopular rulers back then?

you lost me in not wanting to pay taxes. I don't know of anyone who wants to, most do because it is the law. Most also do not try to get out of paying taxes and if government has a good reason, voting for an addition percent or two on a sales tax usually passes. But who wants to pay taxes?

Back
Top Bottom