• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pro-gun senators slammed in polls, country at ‘turning point,’ says Sen. Chuck Schume

Re: Pro-gun senators slammed in polls, country at ‘turning point,’ says Sen. Chuck Sc

Show us which states have been polled that show a majority of voters are opposed to expanded background checks. Thanks!

USA TODAY Poll: Public support for gun control ebbs
Susan Page, USA TODAY8:14 a.m. EDT April 23, 2013

WASHINGTON -- Four months after the shooting rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School, a USA TODAY Poll finds support for a new gun-control law ebbing as prospects for passage on Capitol Hill seem to fade.

Americans are more narrowly divided on the issue than in recent months, and backing for a bill has slipped below 50%, the poll finds. By 49%-45%, those surveyed favor Congress passing a new gun-control law.

The survey of 1,002 adults was taken Thursday through Sunday by Princeton Survey Research. The margin of error is +/- 4 percentage points.

This is nation wide, I do know in Georgia support for the bill by the majority of Georgian's was never there. I know what they say about assumptions, but I am pretty sure even without seeing any state polls on gun controls that the majority of those who live in the south and the plain states do not want new gun control legislation.

What Shumer doesn't recognize is not everyone lives in the northeast or in Democratic bastions. People have differing views and even politics depending on what region of the country they live in. I am sure he is correct as far as the Northeast is concerned. Wrong as far as my home region of the south is concerned.

Re: Pro-gun senators slammed in polls, country at ‘turning point,’ says Sen. Chuck Sc

Therefore, could you please tell me what part of the 49 page amendment you had serious issues with?

You're advocating spending federal dollars for no results. Literally, you want to give the government money to do nothing. You never did answer if I could have a job.

All 49 pages.

Yes I would rather pay a minority of 535 people's salary for a day to prevent the majority of them from passing bills that will spend billions in deficits.

If Schumer was looking at New York or most of the Northeast he is probably correct. The problem is that there are no Republican Senators running for re-election there with the exception of Collins from Maine and she voted for the bill. Any Republican from the South or the plain states voting for it and running for re-election next year would have probably doomed his chances. What some people do not recognize is different parts of the country have differing views on things like this.

Precisely my point! Grand sweeping statements which make it seem like Pro-gun Senators are going against the Country's interest are wrong and misleading! They voted the way their constituents wanted them to vote, and some went against their Party to do so! I guess the smart ones remember the Obamacare votes after all, and the "shellacking," as BHO termed it, that the Democrat Party suffered in the 2010 election which was the result of those votes! :shock:

All 49 pages.
Oh, so you support the Attorney General building a national gun registry?

Interesting, could you expand upon that please?

Yes I would rather pay a minority of 535 people's salary for a day to prevent the majority of them from passing bills that will spend billions in deficits.
:lamo

The fact you're proud your team is preventing our government from helping Americans says a lot about you and your team.

Precisely my point! Grand sweeping statements which make it seem like Pro-gun Senators are going against the Country's interest are wrong and misleading! They voted the way their constituents wanted them to vote, and some went against their Party to do so! I guess the smart ones remember the Obamacare votes after all, and the "shellacking," as BHO termed it, that the Democrat Party suffered in the 2010 election which was the result of those votes! :shock:

I am not sure this last vote on Background checks held the same high priority or would have gotten the voters that peeved. especially this far out. But the majority of Georgian's would not have liked the vote and then it might depend on whom the Democrats ran against the Republican Senator.

According to the Gallop poll of "most important problem facing the country today" - most recent poll taken between April 4-7, 2013, guns/gun control was listed by 4% of the public as the most important issue. If you think politicians are going to go out on a limb for something of serious concern to 4% of the public, you're nuts.

Keep thinking that, Chuckie.... you'll find out next election time.

According to the Gallop poll of "most important problem facing the country today" - most recent poll taken between April 4-7, 2013, guns/gun control was listed by 4% of the public as the most important issue. If you think politicians are going to go out on a limb for something of serious concern to 4% of the public, you're nuts.

Good afternoon, CJ. :2wave:

:agree: Most people are more concerned about lack of decent paying jobs and the increasing cost of food and utilities than gun control. So why does the ranting 4% get so much coverage, since the majority feels otherwise? :thumbdown:

Good afternoon, CJ. :2wave:

:agree: Most people are more concerned about lack of decent paying jobs and the increasing cost of food and utilities than gun control. So why does the ranting 4% get so much coverage, since the majority feels otherwise? :thumbdown:
Ranting is a good word for them, as well as uninformed, clueless, desperate, and despicable.

Only 4 Democrat Senators voted against expanding background checks, vs 50 Republican Senators that voted against it.

there aren't 50 republican senators.

"The harsh reaction some senators are facing in their home states for voting down new background checks on gun purchasers shows the U.S. might be at a “turning point,” Sen. Chuck Schumer said Wednesday.

Schumer is a worthless old bag of poo. Not much else. Of course he and the anti-gun crowd are ignorant to the fact they have really brought to life a lot of the population that didn't used to pay much attention or care. That would be the people that will work to ensure such old bag's of poo retire...

Only 4 Democrat Senators voted against expanding background checks, vs 50 Republican Senators that voted against it.

This just shows how reality escapes the anti-2nd Amendment fear mongers.

Uninformed; yes.

Unable to differentiate reality from their bias; apparently.

Liars; you decide.

Susan Page, USA TODAY8:14 a.m. EDT April 23, 2013

WASHINGTON -- Four months after the shooting rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School, a USA TODAY Poll finds support for a new gun-control law ebbing as prospects for passage on Capitol Hill seem to fade.

Americans are more narrowly divided on the issue than in recent months, and backing for a bill has slipped below 50%, the poll finds. By 49%-45%, those surveyed favor Congress passing a new gun-control law.

The survey of 1,002 adults was taken Thursday through Sunday by Princeton Survey Research. The margin of error is +/- 4 percentage points.

This is nation wide, I do know in Georgia support for the bill by the majority of Georgian's was never there. I know what they say about assumptions, but I am pretty sure even without seeing any state polls on gun controls that the majority of those who live in the south and the plain states do not want new gun control legislation.

What Shumer doesn't recognize is not everyone lives in the northeast or in Democratic bastions. People have differing views and even politics depending on what region of the country they live in. I am sure he is correct as far as the Northeast is concerned. Wrong as far as my home region of the south is concerned.

I notice you did not provide a link to your poll, but I suspect it was not in regards to expanded background checks which is what I was referring to, as the recent Gallop poll I referenced above still show a majority support for expanded background checks. And back to my question left unanswered, do you have any evidence that a majority of voters in any state opposes expanded background checks?

My mistake, it was 50 Democrat Senators that voted for expanded background checks and 42 Republican Senators with 4 blue dog Democrats that voted against the bill.

"The harsh reaction some senators are facing in their home states for voting down new background checks on gun purchasers shows the U.S. might be at a “turning point,” Sen. Chuck Schumer said Wednesday.

“One of the big changes, and one of the reasons that I am truly optimistic we will get something done, is that I am hearing support for gun safety in places I've never heard it before,” Schumer told the Daily News.

“We're at a turning point now, even in redder states, the broad middle is now engaged, and saying they want common sense measures,” he added.
Schumer was referring to intense blowback that some of his fellow lawmakers have experienced in their home states ever since they voted against tighter gun-sales background checks."

Those senators he's talking about are Democrats. I hope your realize the legilation didn't pass because of Democrats. Schumer has always been an enemy of liberty. He's all about govt power. So the OP is not news.

Those senators he's talking about are Democrats. I hope your realize the legilation didn't pass because of Democrats. Schumer has always been an enemy of liberty. He's all about govt power. So the OP is not news.

As usual, you don't have a clue what you are talking about American. Only 4 Democrats voted against background checks. If those 4 blue dog Democrats had voted with the others, they still couldn't make the 60 vote threshold to beat the Republican filibuster.

As usual, you don't have a clue what you are talking about American. Only 4 Democrats voted against background checks. If those 4 blue dog Democrats had voted with the others, they still couldn't make the 60 vote threshold to beat the Republican filibuster.

It sure is good to see I didn't waste my vote then. As long as Republicans keep obstructing the liberal agenda they will get my vote.

As long as Republicans keep obstructing the liberal agenda they will get my vote.
As long as you aren't one of those who blames Obama for the economy. Because you just admitted you know Republicans are doing everything they can to prevent Obama from fixing the economy.

As long as you aren't one of those who blames Obama for the economy. Because you just admitted you know Republicans are doing everything they can to prevent Obama from fixing the economy.

No I just stated that Republicans are doing everything they can to stop Obama from continuing to destroy the economy.

... and it is working.

I notice you did not provide a link to your poll, but I suspect it was not in regards to expanded background checks which is what I was referring to, as the recent Gallop poll I referenced above still show a majority support for expanded background checks. And back to my question left unanswered, do you have any evidence that a majority of voters in any state opposes expanded background checks?

Here you go,

I haven't seen any state polls on gun control, but I think I can pretty much say where each state stands on it with a few exceptions. It is nothing more than common sense. I know around where I live, people tend to hold their breath when ever any type of gun control legislation is proposed and once it fails, let out a sigh of relieve.

Of course most folks around me were brought up with guns in the house and at a time when about the only gun law on the books was the one that said you can't own a Thompson sub machine gun. Yet back then with hardly no gun laws at all, there were no Columbines or Sandy Hooks. No idiots than went on rampages. Something has gone wrong with society, find out what that is and correct it, then no one will need any gun laws outside of the one I can remember.

No I just stated that Republicans are doing everything they can to stop Obama from continuing to destroy the economy.

... and it is working.
Right...so don't ever complain about the state of the economy, because you have just said you support nothing being done.

"...according to left-leaning pollster Public Policy Polling." :roll:

“One of the big changes, and one of the reasons that I am truly optimistic we will get something done, is that I am hearing support for gun safety in places I've never heard it before,” Schumer told the Daily News.

“We're at a turning point now, even in redder states, the broad middle is now engaged, and saying they want common sense measures,” he added.
Schumer was referring to intense blowback that some of his fellow lawmakers have experienced in their home states ever since they voted against tighter gun-sales background checks."

we heard the same bovine fertilizer in 1994. How'd that work out for you who hate the constitution and our rights?

we have a bunch of yapping emotobabblers who are basically brain dead children demanding someone DO SOMETHING

ask any one of those hysterics what law would have stopped Sandy Hook and its like asking a monkey how to respond to a sicilian defense in a grandmasters' chess match

I read the 49 page Manchin-Toomey Amendment, I imagine most people probably would support it. What specific problem did you have a problem with it?

By the way, I notice you trying to change the context of the discussion from your original terrible argument. I don't mind going with you, but I do appreciate your acquiescence that your argument was terrible.

Exactly, you support wasteful government spending on people whose sole intention is to make sure nothing is done to help Americans. Can I have a job now? I promise I'll do nothing.

you have been educated dozens of times why we who understand the creeping crud of collectivist gun banning oppose the law

we oppose it because

1) it is a feel good emotobabbling bit of nonsense that

a) the federal government doesn't have the proper power to impose

b) won't do a damn thing about criminals

c) won't be enforced

d) cannot be applied to bad guns trying to sell guns

2) and will cause people like you to demand

a) record keeping requirements

b) registration

c) inspections by the Batfags and other bureaucrats

in order to actually try to make it work

you have been educated dozens of times why we who understand the creeping crud of collectivist gun banning oppose the law

we oppose it because

1) it is a feel good emotobabbling bit of nonsense that

a) the federal government doesn't have the proper power to impose

b) won't do a damn thing about criminals

c) won't be enforced

d) cannot be applied to bad guns trying to sell guns

2) and will cause people like you to demand

a) record keeping requirements

b) registration

c) inspections by the Batfags and other bureaucrats

in order to actually try to make it work
Did you even read it? I'm guessing you didn't read it either.

Back
Top Bottom