• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Pro-Choice...give me a break

steen said:
WebMD is a commercial site, not a scientific one.

In later in SECOND trimester, the D&E may be the most commmon one. But in the very rare cases where abortions are done in 3rd trimester, induction is much easier and safer to do.

Steen, in the third tri-mester why would they still abort the child if they are going to pass it out the same way they could let it live?

The question I just posted doesn't make sense the way it is written but it is the best way I know of now...I guess what I'm asking is why abort the fetus if inducing labor obviously isn't a medical hazard to the mother why not just let the fetus live?

goligoth said:
Generally? The only similarity is that contractions ae induced....if it is an induction abortion then they probably did something to the fetus or its surroundings before contractions were induced. Or they plan on birthing the baby and not doing anything to it, most likely with the hope of keeping it alive.....The difference between the two is that abortion=hope fetus dead before born birth=hope fetus to survive
And as I pointed out before, when you reach 3rd trimester, the woman has endured 6 months of pregnancy. Unless something is seriously wrong, she doesn't abort. I will challenge you regarding your apparent prolife view of these being "abortion on demand" or whatever euphemism that prolife uses for "unjustified abortions."
The things I have just said are what I perceive to be......I have never heard about this whole induction abortion thing and I have made a few assumptions....tell me if I'm wrong.
Well, some of the things you have said are, per my experience and my reading of the scientific and research literature simply not correct. I have tried to point out where I perceive your claims to be wrong.
it does matter what it's called though.....
Nope, the procedure is the same. The developmental stage is called by the same name etc.
if the fetus or it's surroundings were tampered with in a way to damage it in some way and it was developed enough to exist outside it's mother then it should be a crime (in my opinion).
The 3 reasons I have heard, where 3rd trimester abortions are (rarely) done, are (1) "fetal demise." The fetus died. If it is not aborted, it will start to disintegrate and cause sterility, if not life-threatening infection in the woman. (2) "Conditions of serious genetic defects or incompatibility with life." Serious chromosomal defects where the fetus will die in hours to days after birth, serious physical defects, such as anencephaly, the lack of cranium, bowels outside the abdomen, serious spina bifida etc. Some abortions here are also done for "relatively" minor defects such as trisomy-21 (We really shouldn't say "Down's syndronme, as that actually is a racist term) or the Midline Defects that requires an enormous amount of neonatal surgery to even survive (I saw a kid who had 50 surgeries by age 5). (3) "Maternal Crisis" When the woman's life or health is in danger from the pregnancy, we remove the fetus and hope for the best. If it is at 22 weeks, then the fetus dies. If it is at 32 weeks, it likely survives. In between, we hope for the best.

THAT is what 3rd trimester abortions are.

if contractions are induced without tampering with the fetus and it is born dead/alive then it doesn't matter what it is called but it wasn't a crime (in my opinion).
OK.
I mean that if something is injected into the fetus or it's surroundings, that was meant to harm it, before contractions were induced then there is about a .00000000001% chance it will survive, right?
Correct. We are still talking 3rd trimester here, right? If you have a fetus with anencephaly, it WILL die and if bborn at term likely cause serious birth trauma to the woman. So potassium chloride is injected in the umbilical vein, the fetal heart and central nervous system function shuts down, and induced abortion is begun. Do you think such a procedure of a completely non-viable fetus should be done WITHOUT KCl injection first?
O.k. two was a bad number.....some is what I meant to say but there are still many more than some.....
In the US, we use about 5 methods.
I'm sure that Felicity or someone else can help you out with a site on all of their names....
Oh PLEASE!!!:roll:
He likes me...he really likes me!!!:mrgreen:
I respect you. lets not be carried away. We still have deep philosophical differences and likely very opposite politics in every matter.
I don't come across spewing lies and what not because I don't have any facts on the subjects...only what I have heard and seen. By debating here (unlike everyone else) I am trying to form an educated opinion on this subject,
Yes, I noticed. That immediately set you apart. (That's a good thing, even though you might get hammered for not following the party line).
like I said I don't trust websites and I have only been exposed to my churches beliefs.
It is a good idea to check out some non-dogma sources. Actually, this site has a reasonably informed view. I DON'T endore everything they say here, and some of what they represent as "facts," are not, but the general information is informative, even though you have to doublecheck the facts:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/abortion.htm

goligoth said:
I am sorry for making that generalization but I said that because few who are pro-choice have talked about the fetus as being anything but a clump of cells and therefore not important. my bad....

At first, after conception, there is only a clump of cells for a period of time.

steen said:
And as I pointed out before, when you reach 3rd trimester, the woman has endured 6 months of pregnancy. Unless something is seriously wrong, she doesn't abort. I will challenge you regarding your apparent prolife view of these being "abortion on demand" or whatever euphemism that prolife uses for "unjustified abortions."

I will challenge your belief that every abortion is done with a good reason.

In no way can I say that all abortions are bad but I do believe that many are for no reason and by saying that I mean the 'reason' is something like they just don't particularlly want a kid at the present moment or they think that it will interfere with school....in fact almost any reason other than a medical hazard to the mother is a bad reason with a few exceptions, i'm sure.

steen said:
Well, some of the things you have said are, per my experience and my reading of the scientific and research literature simply not correct. I have tried to point out where I perceive your claims to be wrong.

Tell me I'm wrong outright because if it is wrong and you have 100% proof that I'm wrong then I probably was uneducated on the subject and speaking from past experiences or simple beliefs.

steen said:
Nope, the procedure is the same. The developmental stage is called by the same name etc.

The developmental stage and such might be different but the procedure isn't because in one the fetus is deliberatly terminated and in the other it is allowed on it's original path whichever way that might be....

goligoth said:
I will challenge your belief that every abortion is done with a good reason.

In no way can I say that all abortions are bad but I do believe that many are for no reason and by saying that I mean the 'reason' is something like they just don't particularlly want a kid at the present moment or they think that it will interfere with school....in fact almost any reason other than a medical hazard to the mother is a bad reason with a few exceptions, i'm sure.
In THIRD trimester?
Tell me I'm wrong outright because if it is wrong and you have 100% proof that I'm wrong then I probably was uneducated on the subject and speaking from past experiences or simple beliefs.
I don't blame you for having been served bad info. It does pay to check the info against factual sources, though. PARTICULARLY if the info is from a prolife site. In my personal experience, 90%+ contain inaccuracies or downright falsehoods. I don't see their mission as informing, but rather as propaganda, as political "winning" through any means necessary.

I don't even remember anymore what the points were, though.
The developmental stage and such might be different but the procedure isn't because in one the fetus is deliberatly terminated and in the other it is allowed on it's original path whichever way that might be....
Well, the procedure of induction is the same. But yes, a non-viable fetus may be killed" first" as it won't survive anyway, whereas a later induction for maternal health may still result in a live birth.

Other than that, induction is induction. It is a process per the woman regardless of the reason.

oh crap I hit the submit post button before i was done well anyway....

steen said:
The 3 reasons I have heard, where 3rd trimester abortions are (rarely) done, are (1) "fetal demise." The fetus died. If it is not aborted, it will start to disintegrate and cause sterility, if not life-threatening infection in the woman. (2) "Conditions of serious genetic defects or incompatibility with life." Serious chromosomal defects where the fetus will die in hours to days after birth, serious physical defects, such as anencephaly, the lack of cranium, bowels outside the abdomen, serious spina bifida etc. Some abortions here are also done for "relatively" minor defects such as trisomy-21 (We really shouldn't say "Down's syndronme, as that actually is a racist term) or the Midline Defects that requires an enormous amount of neonatal surgery to even survive (I saw a kid who had 50 surgeries by age 5). (3) "Maternal Crisis" When the woman's life or health is in danger from the pregnancy, we remove the fetus and hope for the best. If it is at 22 weeks, then the fetus dies. If it is at 32 weeks, it likely survives. In between, we hope for the best.

Thanks....

steen said:
respect you. lets not be carried away. We still have deep philosophical differences and likely very opposite politics in every matter.

fine I guess respect is good enough....:2razz: .....I respect you to steen...

steen said:
Yes, I noticed. That immediately set you apart. (That's a good thing, even though you might get hammered for not following the party line).

Everyone can kiss my posterier:moon: . I won't blindly defend a parties position simply because they say it's right....ever. I think that america would in fact be stronger if everyone actually knew what they were talking about before they started talking about it. Another useful thing in a debate would be if people actually believed what they said earlier in a debate.....I say this because I'm still not thoroughly convinced that liberals are 100% liberal and conservitives 100% conservitive....same thing goes for all the parties and political leanings. I believe that people say things to defend their party but they don't really believe it themseleves....it would explain a good many things....

steen said:
It is a good idea to check out some non-dogma sources. Actually, this site has a reasonably informed view. I DON'T endore everything they say here, and some of what they represent as "facts," are not, but the general information is informative, even though you have to doublecheck the facts:

endor is a planet in star wars.....:mrgreen: ....just joking....I know that that was stupid but.....I had to.....

steen said:
In THIRD trimester?

No in general....I know that it isn't my buissness to interfere into other people's lives but.......dam killing a potential person because he/she was "inconvient" at the time he/she was conceived is idiotic.....

Again This isn't saying abortion should be stopped this is saying that it sucks that as a society it has come to the "blow your nose throw away the napkin" sort of thought process. I'm not trying to persuade you with this statement that abortions in general are bad I'm just asking do you really believe that all abortions have legitamate and good reasons??

goligoth said:
endor is a planet in star wars.....:mrgreen: ....just joking....I know that that was stupid but.....I had to.....
:rofl Yeah, I often end up submitting before I spell-check.

(BTW, wasn't Endor a moon?:confused: )

goligoth said:
No in general....I know that it isn't my buissness to interfere into other people's lives but.......dam killing a potential person because he/she was "inconvient" at the time he/she was conceived is idiotic.....

Again This isn't saying abortion should be stopped this is saying that it sucks that as a society it has come to the "blow your nose throw away the napkin" sort of thought process. I'm not trying to persuade you with this statement that abortions in general are bad I'm just asking do you really believe that all abortions have legitamate and good reasons??
I do, actually. They have the only reason that matters, that the woman doesn't want to be pregnant.

Now, if we want to have fewer abortions, then we can start looking at prevention through education (Unfortunately, quite a few prolifers are against better, earlier, more scientifically accurate sex-ed), or contraception (unfortunately, quite a few prolifers are against better, more accessible, cheater or free contraception).

And we can start looking at supporting the pregnant women more so they don't feel a need to abort (unfortunately, quite a few prolifers are against social support, push "welfare reform" and merely see the woman as a lazy welfare queen and the new baby as just another leech on the bduget. prolifers come accross as caring for the embryo or fetus, but not giving a damn about people). Yes, prolifers come accross as misogynists who seek to control the woman "slut"

steen said:
And as I pointed out before, when you reach 3rd trimester, the woman has endured 6 months of pregnancy. Unless something is seriously wrong, she doesn't abort.

This is a blanket statement that is not always true. In some cases it is true and in other cases it is not true. What defines “seriously wrong” is exactly at issue. The actual phrasing is “a continuation of the pregnancy will cause substantial and irreversible impairment of a major bodily function of the pregnant woman. “ The determination is made by doctors and the qualifying “impairment” can be “mental” in varying degrees.

The website steen linked to offers this information on later abortion:
Women who have later-term abortions -- 16 weeks or more since last menstrual period -- give a variety of reasons for their decision. Women gave an average of 2.2 reasons:

71% did not recognize that she was pregnant.

48% had difficulty arranging for an abortion; it took time to raise the money; they had to first get a Medicaid card; they couldn't arrange transportation, etc.

33% were afraid to tell parents or partner of the pregnancy.

24% needed time to make a decision.

8% hoped that a bad relationship would change.

8% felt pressure to not have an abortion.

6% had some major change during the pregnancy.

6% did not know that timing was important.

5% did not know that she could get an abortion.

2% found out late in pregnancy that the fetus had an abnormality.

11% gave other reasons.

The 3 reasons I have heard, where 3rd trimester abortions are (rarely) done, are (1) "fetal demise." The fetus died. If it is not aborted, it will start to disintegrate and cause sterility, if not life-threatening infection in the woman.

Does this include those that died as a result of action taken in the aborting process? Actually—it wouldn’t be an “abortion” in the sense that there was “choice” involved in the demise of the fetus. If the fetus died of natural causes—it would be a miscarriage (spontaneous abortion) .

(2) "Conditions of serious genetic defects or incompatibility with life." Serious chromosomal defects where the fetus will die in hours to days after birth, serious physical defects, such as anencephaly, the lack of cranium, bowels outside the abdomen, serious spina bifida etc. Some abortions here are also done for "relatively" minor defects such as trisomy-21 (We really shouldn't say "Down's syndronme, as that actually is a racist term) or the Midline Defects that requires an enormous amount of neonatal surgery to even survive (I saw a kid who had 50 surgeries by age 5).

This particular “reason” is one that I take issue with. It is deciding that deformed or ill humans of a particular developmental stage can be killed based on another individual’s perception of “value”—the value of the quality of life of the ill or deformed human and/or the value one places on her own desire or perceived ability to care for such an individual. The decision made is that death of the ill or deformed individual is preferable to his or her life and at no stage after birth this is an acceptable or legal judgement.

(3) "Maternal Crisis" When the woman's life or health is in danger from the pregnancy, we remove the fetus and hope for the best. If it is at 22 weeks, then the fetus dies. If it is at 32 weeks, it likely survives. In between, we hope for the best.

What “crisis” involves a procedure that takes the amount of time an induction abortion requires? If there is an emergency situation and the fetus MUST be removed, a caesarian is usually performed in the third trimester—isn’t it? If the fetus is a wanted child, the doctors would do every thing they could to postpone delivery until it was an emergency and it would then be an induced BIRTH –not abortion.

OK.
Correct. We are still talking 3rd trimester here, right? If you have a fetus with anencephaly, it WILL die and if bborn at term likely cause serious birth trauma to the woman. So potassium chloride is injected in the umbilical vein, the fetal heart and central nervous system function shuts down, and induced abortion is begun. Do you think such a procedure of a completely non-viable fetus should be done WITHOUT KCl injection first?

Steen—is injection of sodium chloride into a fetus to cause death ONLY used when the baby “WILL die” ? Or is it also used for fetuses that could live but have a medical condition that is judged unacceptable by the woman seeking the abortion? How about healthy fetuses? Are you saying it is NEVER the case that viable fetuses are killed in this manner?

steen said:
I do, actually. They have the only reason that matters, that the woman doesn't want to be pregnant.

Yes I know that any reason is good enough for who ever is doing the abortion but do you believe that bad reasons are good enough?
By bad reasons I mean simply not wanting to be responsible for a kid at the present time.

steen said:
Now, if we want to have fewer abortions, then we can start looking at prevention through education (Unfortunately, quite a few prolifers are against better, earlier, more scientifically accurate sex-ed), or contraception (unfortunately, quite a few prolifers are against better, more accessible, cheater or free contraception).

I do not think that the thing you said about 'pro-lifers not wanting better sex-ed' is true. I went to a catholic middle school and we spent days redundantly going over the entire subject....it was comical to watch this 70 year old lady try to communicate her point about abstinence to 5th grade kids who hadn't even entered puberty yet....

I don't know anything about the contraception thing....could be true but I think that they are simply indifferent.....

steen said:
And we can start looking at supporting the pregnant women more so they don't feel a need to abort (unfortunately, quite a few prolifers are against social support, push "welfare reform" and merely see the woman as a lazy welfare queen and the new baby as just another leech on the bduget. prolifers come accross as caring for the embryo or fetus, but not giving a damn about people).

I can see the reasoning behind their position on that one though....why give women benifits for being pregnant several months until they decide that they want an abortion....the system would get abused....badly.

steen said:
:rofl Yeah, I often end up submitting before I spell-check.

(BTW, wasn't Endor a moon?:confused: )

maybe I can't remember I remember the fish guy talking about the fourth moon of endor or something like that so.....maybe....

Back
Top Bottom