• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Pro-choice actually saves lives

john831

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
When abortion is against the law, people who would've had a legal abortion do not suddenly decide they want to have a baby; they still have an abortion, but do it with a coathanger instead, and many die from this extremely dangerous procedure. By making abortion legal, these people (who are undeniably living, unlike unborn fetuses) usually survive (although I'll admit that even legal abortions carry a risk). Any thoughts?

Hmm. That's a new one. However, the cause of all this is the fact that abortion exists in the first place. If women did not feel the need to murder their babies, as abortion teaches them to do, they would not undergo these illegal abortions. If these women had been bound by the suppressive laws of morality and life, they would not do these illegal abortions IN THE FIRST PLACE! Basically, Abortion gets us in this rut in the first place.

john831 said:
When abortion is against the law, people who would've had a legal abortion do not suddenly decide they want to have a baby; they still have an abortion, but do it with a coathanger instead, and many die from this extremely dangerous procedure. By making abortion legal, these people (who are undeniably living, unlike unborn fetuses) usually survive (although I'll admit that even legal abortions carry a risk). Any thoughts?

Have you got the figures/stats to back this up bearing in mind most *illegal abortions/backstreet abortions* were/are carried out by doctors who are willing to flout the law, then with the advances in medical science/medicine it follows that what used to happen will not now happen.You must also remember that when abortion was illegal, way back in the 60's, more women died in childbirth than do today, more people died of influenza than do today, more children died of chickenpox than do today, there is also the thought that if a doctor is willing to flout the law with such disregard for a persons life, then what other laws will he be willing to break, could you trust him to not sexually assault you or one of your children, or give you a lethal injection [Dr Harold Shipman].

Some_Guy said:
Hmm. That's a new one. However, the cause of all this is the fact that abortion exists in the first place. If women did not feel the need to murder their babies, as abortion teaches them to do, they would not undergo these illegal abortions. If these women had been bound by the suppressive laws of morality and life, they would not do these illegal abortions IN THE FIRST PLACE! Basically, Abortion gets us in this rut in the first place.

Wait, so if abortion were illegal, 16-year-old mothers with no education would magically not want to get rid of the baby she didn't intend to make? :lol:

Some_Guy said:
/me shakes her head.....still not reading, are you?
Abortion does not 'teach' anything.
Women have undergone abortions for thousands of years, whether law allowed them or not.
Bound by suppressive law does NOT make something right and only makes many things illegal, not nonexistent.
I know you're trying, son, but really.....your words don't make a lot of sense.

Don't talk down to me. I was being sarcastic about life and morality being supressive.

Now, in response to both your posts, abortion has "taught" women that there is an easy way out of unwanted pregnancy. It teaches them an immoral, but easy, way to deal with it. Before abortion was ever even considered, women actually had to be responsible and mature! That's why there ARE 16 year old moms, because they have been taught that pregnancy is easy to get out of, and the only consequences are inflicted upon the baby. However, I don't understand why exactly life is valued so little. It disgusts me beyond words...

Some_Guy said:
Don't talk down to me. I was being sarcastic about life and morality being supressive.

Now, in response to both your posts, abortion has "taught" women that there is an easy way out of unwanted pregnancy. It teaches them an immoral, but easy, way to deal with it. Before abortion was ever even considered, women actually had to be responsible and mature! That's why there ARE 16 year old moms, because they have been taught that pregnancy is easy to get out of, and the only consequences are inflicted upon the baby. However, I don't understand why exactly life is valued so little. It disgusts me beyond words...

Actually, even a pro-life site I was at the other day (www.grtl.org) says that 20 million abortions are performed each year in countries where they're illegal.

So there goes that theory. :lol:

john831 said:

Yeah, I've got a thought. My guess is that LOTS of women who would get an abortion safely today would be too scared to get a dangerous, illegal abortion tomorrow. The more dangerous it is, the less popular it will be.

For example: There is a roller coaster that is extremely popular. It is a very safe and very fun ride. However, sometimes things can go wrong and a few people have died from it. People still love it.

Not the park owners decide to use a different kind of coaster car on the ride. This car is just as much fun, only 1 in every 10 people fall out of the car and die in the middle of the run. Are people stil going to go on this ride? Possibly, but not as many as did the safe ride. The more dangerous it is, the less popular it will be.

Back
Top Bottom