• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pro and Contra the Catholic Church

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Can we all find something bad and something good about the RCC?

Like this:

Bad:
child abuse
celibate priests
no women as clergy

Good:
what Bible Chrisians call "pagan"

Con: The Spanish Inquisition
Pro: "The Godfather"

I do not believe in "God" because of all the suffering in this life.

But I nevertheless pretend that "God" exists and pray every morning that I happen to wake up (I am 84) for his guidance and strength.

If I were to join a church, it would definitely be the Roman Catholic Church, for which I have the greatest respect and even reverence.

Why?

Because of its comforting rituals for one thing.

I refer to the mass.
I refer to the idea of saints. (Models for us to emulate.)
I refer to all the good work of priests and nuns throughout the centuries. (Like the nun who gave me a ride when others had turned me down. I hadn't known she was a nun, for she wasn't wearing a habit. I wish all nuns wore habits. I want nuns to look like nuns. I want people to show them respect whenever possible.
I refer to relics. (I once had a relic -- third class? -- but I angrily threw it away when it failed to help someone whom I loved.)
I refer to angels. (I choose to believe that nun I referenced earlier was an angel sent to help me.)

A catholic school education from grades one through eight is excellent.

As far as religion, I can't believe a word of it. It's an oppressive male dominated society in my catholic opinion.

If I were to join a church, it would definitely be the Roman Catholic Church, for which I have the greatest respect and even reverence.

Why?

Because of its comforting rituals for one thing.

I refer to the mass.
I refer to the idea of saints. (Models for us to emulate.)
I refer to all the good work of priests and nuns throughout the centuries. (Like the nun who gave me a ride when others had turned me down. I hadn't known she was a nun, for she wasn't wearing a habit. I wish all nuns wore habits. I want nuns to look like nuns. I want people to show them respect whenever possible.
I refer to relics. (I once had a relic -- third class? -- but I angrily threw it away when it failed to help someone whom I loved.)
I refer to angels. (I choose to believe that nun I referenced earlier was an angel sent to help me.)
I can understand that! (y)(y)(y)

Like this:

Bad:
child abuse
celibate priests
no women as clergy

Good:

Bad: everything about it except:
Good: It's getting smaller and smaller.

Like this:

Bad:
child abuse
celibate priests
no women as clergy

Good:

From a Christian point of view:
any teachings that go directly - and deceptively - against the Bible is considered "demonic" teaching.
That's bad.

any teachings that go directly - and deceptively - against the Bible is considered "demonic" teaching.
That's bad.
Have you read any of my work, would you call it,... demoniac?

The problem is, that many of the teachings that may come from the Bible are false and thus demoniac.

For example, for Christ to declare himself God does not mean that God is not always unseen.

The idea that Christ is God is demoniac and the people hope to access all sorts of powers and sense gratification from it besides holding their brothers in submission causing them to think with you, that which is false.

That's bad.
What do you mean by, "Against the Bible?"

The Bible says to rightly divide the word of Truth.

This is true on any planet you may find yourself on.

Many things may be presented to you as, "The word of God."

That's bad.
Boring ..... boring ..... boring ....

Do we hear a parrot talking?

Or a tape recorder that is repeating itself endlessly?

OMG - help! help! :)

One great merit of the Catholic Church is that it has valued and preserved age-old and honoured spiritual traditions that some "Christian" fanatics saw as "pagan" or "satanic".

A Catholic flash mob :)

The only positive of the catholic h church is an amazing amount of art from the middle ages and the Renaissance. Other than that I do not see any positives to the Roman Catholic church or the Vatican.

In many ways I view the RCC as the last vestiges of the Roman Empire with the pope as the Emperor.

Have you read any of my work, would you call it,... demoniac?

I might have read some of your post (if that is what "work" you mean)....but, I don't remember them.

The problem is, that many of the teachings that may come from the Bible are false and thus demoniac.

Nothing that accurately comes from the Bible can be demonic. How can that be when the Bible is the Word of God - given to us as our "manual?"

Anything that is taken from the Bible is demonic only if the message has been altered in any way that it conflicts, or contradicts anything from the Bible.
Something that has been altered, IS NOT the Word of God anymore.

For example, for Christ to declare himself God does not mean that God is not always unseen.

The idea that Christ is God is demoniac and the people hope to access all sorts of powers and sense gratification from it besides holding their brothers in submission causing them to think with you, that which is false.

I suggest you study the Bible.
For your convenience, there is a thread that deals exclusively to the Trinity, including the BIBLICAL fact that Jesus and God are One and the Same.

What do you mean by, "Against the Bible?"

Contradicts. Have conflict with other messages.

The Bible says to rightly divide the word of Truth. This is true on any planet you may find yourself on.

Can you cite your source for that. What verse do you refer to?

Many things may be presented to you as, "The word of God."

That's what false teachings say. They all say they are the word of God. 🤷
Many will also come to present themselves as prophets of God, or even the Second Christ.
Satan can also give you an apparition, or a supernatural experience........ to fool you.

Thus, we have to test the spirit.

Boring ..... boring ..... boring ....

Do we hear a parrot talking?

Or a tape recorder that is repeating itself endlessly?

OMG - help! help! :)

Lol - boring subject (like how many times do you want to bring up child abuse and the Catholic Church - like as if only Catholics abuse children).
How many coaches, teachers, babysitters, doctors, dentists etc.... had abused kids? :)

It's human frailty. Predators will go stomping where their prey are!
Have you ever heard of pedophiles working in nursing homes?

Institutions (which include churches) have become victims too.......especially when they didn't know how to respond appropriately.
These things aren't confine to religious settings, although I can understand that power being wielded by someone claiming to represent God, is quite great!
It's all about power.

That's what boring OP gets. Boring responses.
I get it's kinda personal with you and the Catholic Church....but, a subject is a subject.
This is a forum - for discussion.

People who want to keep grinding their axes maybe should do a docu, and post it on youtube.

I mean you ask the same thing - of course, basically you'll get the same responses.
At least, we're still responding. Stop complaining. ;)

Last edited:
May I repeat my question?

There are bad things to be said about the RCC - but also good things.
What examples can you think of?

One great merit of the Catholic Church is that it has valued and preserved age-old and honoured spiritual traditions that some "Christian" fanatics saw as "pagan" or "satanic".
This is a point I would like to repeat and to stress.
What do you think of it?

May I repeat my question?

There are bad things to be said about the RCC - but also good things.
What examples can you think of?

I've stated what is bad.

I have to make it clear that imho, I don't find anything good with Satan.
There isn't! There won't be!!
How can we.....................when he's the very definition of evil?

If he shows you anything "good," you bet it would be a lie.

This is a point I would like to repeat and to stress.
What do you think of it?

Like what tradition? Be specific.
I'm asking because Christ had something critical to say with some tradition.

Can you cite your source for that. What verse do you refer to?

That's what false teachings say. They all say they are the word of God. 🤷
Many will also come to present themselves as prophets of God, or even the Second Christ.
Satan can also give you an apparition, or a supernatural experience........ to fool you.

Thus, we have to test the spirit.
2 Timothy 2:15.

The admonition applies to any planet you find yourself on.

But it applies to the Bible as well.

Rightly dividing the word of truth.

Books about the Supreme personality are cryptic and fantastic, and when the ignorant come in contact, think they have found the only true way.

If I sat down to write a book about auto mechanics, I would have to describe the automobile wouldn't I, and some parts would incredibly describe it to an ignorant person, and it would work well on my car, but maybe it doesn't describe my electric vehicle, but you still wouldn't want to take up another book on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom