• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pro-Abortion, no different than Pro-Slavery

Calling it murder is no more applicable then calling a fetus a parasite or a tresspasser. It is the mis-use of a word for nothing more than an appeal to emotion. Legally, in this country, it is not murder. Standard use of the word does not apply in this case. You can't pick and choose your definitions, Chuz. It's an appeal to emotion logical fallacy. You want to use the word "killed", that is completely appropriate. Murder is more charged, which is the only reason why you would use it, considering that it does not apply.
Moderator's Warning:
Watch it.

If the case being made is that a person feels a fetus is "tresspassing?" YES, then absolutely it is EXPECTED that the person who thinks it so will call it the way they see it.

Likewise,... how is anyone to make the case that an abortion is a 'murder' with their hands tied and forbidden to call it what (they feel) it is?

Also, do we not have a right to be wrong here?

Last edited:
If the case being made is that a person feels a fetus is "tresspassing?" YES, then absolutely it is EXPECTED that the person who thinks it so will call it the way they see it.

Likewise,... how is anyone to make the case that an abortion is a 'muder' with their hands tied and forbidden to call it what (they feel) it is?

Of course you have a right to be wrong here and you are correct. If someone considers a fetus as tresspassing, then that is the word that they feel applies. But consider this, Chuz. I do not spend a lot of time in the Abortion Forum. However, when I do, pretty much every debate degenerates into semantics, rather than the actual issue. All it is, is a diversion and appeals to emotion. You've been round the block with this debate for years, and have probably seen just about every issue. Ask yourself this. How often to you get to actually debate the issue of abortion, as opposed to discussing perceptual definitions? You want to call it murder. I say it doesn't apply. We then go round and round with this for ages. What does it accomplish? Zilch. Neither of us have presented positions; all we have done is debate semantics.

My deal is clarity and not falling into logical fallacies. I'm big on honesty in debate, too. Using flammable terminology doesn't cut it. All it does is cause a diversion.

Ask yourself this, Chuz. Everytime we debate the abortion issue, it's always about the equivocation of your terminology. Tell me where you think I stand on the abortion issue, from whether I am for it to whether I think the fetus is a person, to whether I think it is a human. Go ahead. What I thnk you may find is that you do not know, because all of the sematical discussions have prevented you from asking, or even from being in a position to debate it with me.

Likewise,... how is anyone to make the case that an abortion is a 'murder' with their hands tied and forbidden to call it what (they feel) it is?

Of course you have a right to be wrong here and you are correct. If someone considers a fetus as tresspassing, then that is the word that they feel applies. But consider this, Chuz. I do not spend a lot of time in the Abortion Forum. However, when I do, pretty much every debate degenerates into semantics, rather than the actual issue.

With varying degrees,... yes. This is often the case. I generally agree.

All it is, is a diversion and appeals to emotion.

Here's where you start losing me. Because, while I agree far too many of these threads end up being completely focused on the semantics and what definitions apply,... one of the tactics used by all sides in a debate is to 'frame the debate.'

Absent a forum moderator, we (all parties involved) are supposedly free to frame the debate ourselves. Those opposed to abortion will frame it one way and those who want to keep it legal will frame it their way.

But the definitions of the words are what they are. They (the definitions) are static.

Correct?

So, (in theory) there should be less disagreement on what the words "mean" than there is about whether they are applicable or not.

But we see that's not the case... as neither side is willing to allow the otherside to frame the debate.

So, what's the solution?

I don't think there is one.

Unless you are willing to provide a moderator for every debate, it's inevitable that each side will continue to try to frame the debate to their favor.

You've been round the block with this debate for years, and have probably seen just about every issue. Ask yourself this. How often to you get to actually debate the issue of abortion, as opposed to discussing perceptual definitions?

I don't have a problem doing both at the same time.

You want to call it murder. I say it doesn't apply. We then go round and round with this for ages. What does it accomplish? Zilch. Neither of us have presented positions; all we have done is debate semantics.

As I said before,... the definitions of the words are what they are.... and whether you and I agree is only relevant in one respect. There are countless others who read along and occasionally chime in as well. And because of that learning and such can take place even in the midst of a stalemate.

My deal is clarity and not falling into logical fallacies. I'm big on honesty in debate, too. Using flammable terminology doesn't cut it. All it does is cause a diversion.

There is nothing more clear and concise, factual and honest (in my opinion) than a dictionary. Flammable terminology is part of framing a political debate. these are emotionally charged issues REGARDLESS of how they are framed. And i fail to see how you can call it a diversion when in fact BOTH sides are interested in either banning abortion or keeping it legal.

Neither side benefits in a diversion,.... other than when used to discourage the other.

Ask yourself this, Chuz. Everytime we debate the abortion issue, it's always about the equivocation of your terminology.

That's been your choice,... not mine. I can't help it that you hit that wall every time you feel I am framing the debate to my advantage.

Tell me where you think I stand on the abortion issue, from whether I am for it to whether I think the fetus is a person, to whether I think it is a human. Go ahead. What I thnk you may find is that you do not know, because all of the sematical discussions have prevented you from asking, or even from being in a position to debate it with me.

Here's the deal CC,... you're right in that I don't know what your personal views are. But it's not for the reasons you think. And the proof is that "while the semantics discussion aggrevate you and might have hampered your ability to tell everyone what YOUR views are",.... I'll bet you have no question at all about what MINE are.

Now, why do you think that is?

Last edited:
Chuz, do you really think that if you can change someone's mind about a word, or the definition of a word, that they're somehow going to change their fundamental opinion about abortion because of it?
Because that's a little insulting, frankly.
You act as though people haven't put a lot of thought and soul-searching into their stances.

What you're doing is akin to if I wasted my life running around trying to persuade anti-choicers to stop saying "unborn children" and start saying "Z/E/F" instead.
What would it prove?
What would it accomplish, even if I succeeded?
It would be rather patronizing of me to imagine that even if I could get them to call fetuses something besides "unborn children" or "prebirth people" or whatever the antichoice term du jour is, that they'd suddenly hop the fence and become prochoice.
They wouldn't.
Their stance does not hinge upon a single word. It's far more complex than that.
The answers to moral and ethical questions are not found in the pages of Merriam-Webster's. It was never intended to be a treatise on morality.

I resent the fact that, every time you become involved in a thread, it devolves into petty and peevish quibbling about minutia.
I like broad debates and big ideas.
Your obstinate narrow-mindedness makes me claustrophobic.

Chuz, do you really think that if you can change someone's mind about a word, or the definition of a word, that they're somehow going to change their fundamental opinion about abortion because of it?
You act as though people haven't put a lot of thought and soul-searching into their stances.

What you're doing is akin to if I wasted my life running around trying to persuade anti-choicers to stop saying "unborn children" and start saying "Z/E/F" instead.
What would it prove?
It would be rather patronizing of me to imagine that even if I could get them to call fetuses something besides "unborn children" or "prebirth people" or whatever the antichoice term du jour is, that they'd suddenly hop the fence and become prochoice.
They wouldn't.
Their stance does not hinge upon a single word. It's far more complex than that.
The answers to moral and ethical questions are not found in the pages of Merriam-Webster's. It was never intended to be a treatise on morality.

I resent the fact that, every time you become involved in a thread, it devolves into petty and peevish quibbling about minutia.

Chances are, you've probably pushed someone into aborting who wouldn't have otherwise, just by being obnoxious.
The best you can manage is to sneer at such women and mutter rude names at them under your breath.
Maybe this makes you feel better about what a useless, helpless, impotent coward you are.

Pot.....kettle........

Of course you have a right to be wrong here and you are correct. If someone considers a fetus as tresspassing, then that is the word that they feel applies. But consider this, Chuz. I do not spend a lot of time in the Abortion Forum. However, when I do, pretty much every debate degenerates into semantics, rather than the actual issue. All it is, is a diversion and appeals to emotion. You've been round the block with this debate for years, and have probably seen just about every issue. Ask yourself this. How often to you get to actually debate the issue of abortion, as opposed to discussing perceptual definitions? You want to call it murder. I say it doesn't apply. We then go round and round with this for ages. What does it accomplish? Zilch. Neither of us have presented positions; all we have done is debate semantics.

Ask yourself this, Chuz. Everytime we debate the abortion issue, it's always about the equivocation of your terminology. Tell me where you think I stand on the abortion issue, from whether I am for it to whether I think the fetus is a person, to whether I think it is a human. Go ahead. What I thnk you may find is that you do not know, because all of the sematical discussions have prevented you from asking, or even from being in a position to debate it with me.

This thread has had a lot of good issues raised on both sides, calling it nothing more than a semantics argument is inaccurate.

No.

But then, neither is that my intent.

Remember those coloring books when we were kids,... the ones with all the numbered points that when you connect all the points in numerical order,... they present a (previously unseen) picture?

It's more like that.

I find denial to be insulting, myself. That and personal attacks.

How do you feel about those things?

This is nothing more than a subjective opinion. And it's incorrect. There are many who have obviously done their homework and think they can support and defend their "pro-choice" stance with facts. I simply disagree with their conclusions and on occasion their facts.
I am completely aware that they have put a lot of thought into their views.

As there are no universal rules for political debate, each side is supposedly free to frame the debate as they see fit to make their case.

What would it prove? What would it accomplish, even if I succeeded?

If you could convince me that a human zygote, embryo or fetus is in fact something less than a "child" I would have no problem at all supporting elective abortion on demand.

It would be rather patronizing of me to imagine that even if I could get them to call fetuses something besides "unborn children" or "prebirth people" or whatever the antichoice term du jour is, that they'd suddenly hop the fence and become prochoice. They wouldn't.

Quite the contrary,... I just told you that I would.

You (and CC) are getting hung up on the "words" and the fact that we are often talking about 'words.'

I and those of us who are tring to make a case for banning abortion are more concerned with the weight and or meaning of those words. Not the words themselves.

The answer to any question you ask (moral and ethical or not) will inevitably have words that for whatever reason will require a dictionary for clarification. Especially on an issue with medical and scientific terminology such as the abortion issue.

You are not forced to participate in a thread where I am debating,... and so long as I abide by the forum rules and you do the same,... there shouldn't be a problem.

I like broad debates and big ideas. Your obstinate narrow-mindedness makes me claustrophobic.

Our likes and dislikes are personal and subjective. I am just as offended by you and your style of debate, personal attacks, etc. as you are mine. (the mods know this by the numbers of posts that I report).

I'm not here for your pleasure.

I'm here because I believe elective abortions are an unjust killing of a human being, a person, a child.

That's all.

With varying degrees,... yes. This is often the case. I generally agree.

OK.

Here's where you start losing me. Because, while I agree far too many of these threads end up being completely focused on the semantics and what definitions apply,... one of the tactics used by all sides in a debate is to 'frame the debate.'

Absent a forum moderator, we (all parties involved) are supposedly free to frame the debate ourselves. Those opposed to abortion will frame it one way and those who want to keep it legal will frame it their way.

But the definitions of the words are what they are. They (the definitions) are static.

Correct?

No, Chuz, not correct. Definitions are not static. They are contextual. People can try to frame the debate, but they will frame the debate often mis-using definitions to gain an advantage. Problem is not trying to gain an advantage in debate, Problem is doing it dishonestly and/or with logical fallacies. Thing I like about debates is the providing of evidence, either through data or logic... or both. When you mis-use definitions, or misrepresent information, you muddy the debate with falsifications.

Putting a really crappy frame around a great picture, takes something away from the picture, Chuz.

As far as a forum moderator goes, are you trying to tell me that you all are incapable of monitoring yourselves?

So, (in theory) there should be less disagreement on what the words "mean" than there is about whether they are applicable or not.

But we see that's not the case... as neither side is willing to allow the otherside to frame the debate.

So, what's the solution?

I don't think there is one.

What the words mean and their application are equally important. I another poster this in a thread that you participated in. Without context, words are meaningless.

Unless you are willing to provide a moderator for every debate, it's inevitable that each side will continue to try to frame the debate to their favor.

I don't completely agree. Some of the better debaters, IMO, do not do this, or at the very least, don't do it often. They do not need to. Evidence and logic is their ally.

I don't have a problem doing both at the same time.

Nor do I. I have an excellent command of the English language, and I doubt there are many here who could top me in a logic argument. But consider this. If you are discussing abortion, where is the debate? With abortion, or whether the word "murder" applies or not? The latter demeans your argument to nothing but semantics, and mis-use of semantics at that. You have to ask yourself, Chuz, why do you debate abortion? Is it to present your views? Is it to try to educate people on your position? Is it to convince people to be pro-life? If it is ANY of those things, the semantic argument, with the mis-use of words accomplishes NONE of them. Makes your position look weak and based on fallacies.

As I said before,... the definitions of the words are what they are.... and whether you and I agree is only relevant in one respect. There are countless others who read along and occasionally chime in as well. And because of that learning and such can take place even in the midst of a stalemate.

Chuz, when you mis-use words, the only people who listen are those on your side, already. You accomplish nothing in the way of learning.

There is nothing more clear and concise, factual and honest (in my opinion) than a dictionary. Flammable terminology is part of framing a political debate. these are emotionally charged issues REGARDLESS of how they are framed. And i fail to see how you can call it a diversion when in fact BOTH sides are interested in either banning abortion or keeping it legal.

It's a diversion when the debate digresses to defining murder. And again, without context, the dictionary is meaningless.

Neither side benefits in a diversion,.... other than when used to discourage the other.

I agree. And that's how these debates go.

That's been your choice,... not mine. I can't help it that you hit that wall every time you feel I am framing the debate to my advantage.

Why would I want to get into the meat of a debate with you, when all you want to do is equivocate words? There is no purpose to it. You're not framing it to your advantage. You are being dishonest in how you are communicating, effectively shutting down debate. You create the wall to stifle debate, Chuz.

Here's the deal CC,... you're right in that I don't know what your personal views are. But it's not for the reasons you think. And the proof is that "while the semantics discussion aggrevate you and might have hampered your ability to tell everyone what YOUR views are",.... I'll bet you have no question at all about what MINE are.

Now, why do you think that is?

Mostly because you do not seem interested in finding out, Chuz. You are so focused on mis-using words in an inciting fashion, that you seem completely uninterested in discussing someone's views. The only time that you DO seem interested, is when you are not focused on changing definitions. I've seen you do this on some rare occasions. At those times, you actually debate, decently. Most other times, you spend your posts absurdly redefining words. You hamper debate by refusing TO debate the issue.

So, you again have to ask yourself. Why do you debate this particular issue?

What would it prove?
They wouldn't.

Exactly. :applaud

You (and CC) are getting hung up on the "words" and the fact that we are often talking about 'words.'

I and those of us who are tring to make a case for banning abortion are more concerned with the weight and or meaning of those words. Not the words themselves.

If this was the case, we would not be having this discussion, nor would I be confronting you on your mis-use of words. You would not be doing it.

If this was the case, we would not be having this discussion, nor would I be confronting you on your mis-use of words. You would not be doing it.

Actually, the last few pages were a discussion on brain function and it's relation to defining sentience and humanity. You, Sir, brought semantics back into it.

Actually, the last few pages were a discussion on brain function and it's relation to defining sentience and humanity. You, Sir, brought semantics back into it.

I responded to a comment that you directed at me. Go look.

I responded to a comment that you directed at me. Go look.

Not enitrely accurate, I was asking about this:

No, it's not:

Under US law, abortion is NOT murder. This is just another way that pro-lifers misuse definitions, making hyperbolic arguments. I will concede that using the term "kill" is not misuse. However, the term "murder" does not apply.

which appeared after several pages of a decent discussion.....

Not enitrely accurate, I was asking about this:

which appeared after several pages of a decent discussion.....

At that point, the discussion had gone for pages on discussing the word molestation. YOU presented the "abortion is murder" concept, here:
Great, you got me. Abortion is still murder.

My post responded to this, which was 3 posts later and after you and 10 had gone back and forth about it for a couple of posts. I didn't bring it up.

Last edited:
At that point, the discussion had gone for pages on discussing the word molestation. YOU presented the "abortion is murder" concept, here:

My post responded to this, which was 3 posts later and after you and 10 had gone back and forth about it for a couple of posts. I didn't bring it up.

Oh, boy, CC, whatever.....after several posts being harrased about a typo, admittedly I was a little frustrated.

So what's you're position on Abortion?

Oh, boy, CC, whatever.....after several posts being harrased about a typo, admittedly I was a little frustrated.

I am famous for my files, mac. I log everything around here, so it is usually not a good idea to test my memory of how things proceeded. :2razz:

So what's you're position on Abortion?

I would say that if you were to scale pro-life and pro-choice on a 1-100 scale, with extreme pro-choice being at 0 and extreme pro-choice being at 100, I am probably at 53. I could easily be swayed to the pro-life side. Here is how I would outline it:

At the moment of conception, it... whatever you want to call it, is a human. It's genetic structure matches that of everyone else of this species. Calling it anything other than a human, or denying that it is a human is dishonest.

I subscribe to the position that it becomes a person at the moment of consciousness, ability to survive independently (breathing, processing food, etc...), or both.

I do not take the fact that it is inside the woman into consideration of my position at all... unless the father's rights are considered equally.

It has no rights. This is based on my natural rights philosophy (natural rights do not exist). Once it is born, it has some rights.

As an aside, I can argue from a strict natural rights position, that a woman has the right to an abortion right up to the moment of birth.

I do take into consideration what will happen to the child in the future; in fact this is my main reason for leaning pro-choice.

It is human. It becomes a person around 24-26 weeks (I believe). It has no rights. From the moment it becomes a person, it is an individual, an my personal morality indicates that you are killing that person. Prior to that, you are not. Therefore, I am, OK with abortion prior to the moment it can exist as an individual.

What would change me to pro-life? Two things. Since my concern is exclusively for the well-being of the child, if the woman did not want the child, not only would all care for the pregnancy need to be paid for from an outside source, but there would need to be a positive environment for that child to go and live once it is born. No foster care, no orphanages. I have yet to see any pro-lifer offer a viable solution to how to care for all of these unwanted children. Since unwanted children are more likely to be subjected to abuse, neglect, or some of our less positive social systems, since I am primarily concerned with the well-being of the child, I adhere to the statement, "it's better to have a horrible ending, then to have horrors without an end." Better for it not to exist, then for it to live in misery.

Secondly, if there was some sort of conclusive evidence that it could live, independently, from conception, this could sway me, also... though it is not anywhere near as important as the first situation. The concern for the child is paramount.

So, there you have it.

I am famous for my files, mac. I log everything around here, so it is usually not a good idea to test my memory of how things proceeded. :2razz:

I would say that if you were to scale pro-life and pro-choice on a 1-100 scale, with extreme pro-choice being at 0 and extreme pro-choice being at 100, I am probably at 53. I could easily be swayed to the pro-life side. Here is how I would outline it:

At the moment of conception, it... whatever you want to call it, is a human. It's genetic structure matches that of everyone else of this species. Calling it anything other than a human, or denying that it is a human is dishonest.

I subscribe to the position that it becomes a person at the moment of consciousness, ability to survive independently (breathing, processing food, etc...), or both.

I do not take the fact that it is inside the woman into consideration of my position at all... unless the father's rights are considered equally.

It has no rights. This is based on my natural rights philosophy (natural rights do not exist). Once it is born, it has some rights.

As an aside, I can argue from a strict natural rights position, that a woman has the right to an abortion right up to the moment of birth.

I do take into consideration what will happen to the child in the future; in fact this is my main reason for leaning pro-choice.

It is human. It becomes a person around 24-26 weeks (I believe). It has no rights. From the moment it becomes a person, it is an individual, an my personal morality indicates that you are killing that person. Prior to that, you are not. Therefore, I am, OK with abortion prior to the moment it can exist as an individual.

What would change me to pro-life? Two things. Since my concern is exclusively for the well-being of the child, if the woman did not want the child, not only would all care for the pregnancy need to be paid for from an outside source, but there would need to be a positive environment for that child to go and live once it is born. No foster care, no orphanages. I have yet to see any pro-lifer offer a viable solution to how to care for all of these unwanted children. Since unwanted children are more likely to be subjected to abuse, neglect, or some of our less positive social systems, since I am primarily concerned with the well-being of the child, I adhere to the statement, "it's better to have a horrible ending, then to have horrors without an end." Better for it not to exist, then for it to live in misery.

Secondly, if there was some sort of conclusive evidence that it could live, independently, from conception, this could sway me, also... though it is not anywhere near as important as the first situation. The concern for the child is paramount.

So, there you have it.

Well, thanks for your position. I disagree with you entirely on the natural rights position and that is why I am pro-life. This position, fundamental to both of our views is highly subjective and I'm sure I have no more hope of changing your view on that than you have of mine. I do however think I can affect others views on it, and that's what I attempt to do.

I don't believe that a cold, hard, scientific approach to defining life is the only viable option. We are an emotional species, and as such, often need emotional reasons to see certain points. While you disagree with my use of the word murder, for reasons of inaccuracy, I disagree with your assertion that that word can only be used in a legal context. In any struggle for rights, it is necessary to tap into emotion. While this is but a harmless debate here in this forum, it is to some of us part of a larger aim, a cause if you will.

Your issue with what to do with all those unwanted children is something I've grappled with myself, and have alluded to here at DP. My only answer to that is I do as much as I can to support education, ending homelessness, and providing hope to children and troubled families as I can through monetary donation and volunteering. I also encourage all my pro-life AND pro-choice friends to do the same. I write 3 Senators, a handful of Representatives (state and local) and many special interest groups almost daily on these issues. I only bring this up now to encourage everyone here on both sides of the argument to do the same.

Concern for the Child is huge for me as well, but I can't agree that it's better to terminate a child than allow it to live a less than perfect life. Way too many great people result from (survive) terrible childhoods and go on to great achievements for themselves and the rest of us. While I hate to be one that says "That's Life, deal with it", I'd say we are as defined by our adversity as we are by our happiness.

At the root of all this is "natural rights". While I agree that no one can benefit from an inalienable right that society does not recognize, it does not deny the existence of that right, in my view.

Last edited:
Well, thanks for your position. I disagree with you entirely on the natural rights position and that is why I am pro-life. This position, fundamental to both of our views is highly subjective and I'm sure I have no more hope of changing your view on that than you have of mine. I do however think I can affect others views on it, and that's what I attempt to do.

A lot of this comes down to personal philosophy. My position on natural rights has seeped into several threads as of late, so I will not derail this one with another. It's one of those positions that no one will change my mind about. However, it is not the only thing of which I base my position on abortion; in fact, it is probably a minor point.

I don't believe that a cold, hard, scientific approach to defining life is the only viable option. We are an emotional species, and as such, often need emotional reasons to see certain points. While you disagree with my use of the word murder, for reasons of inaccuracy, I disagree with your assertion that that word can only be used in a legal context. In any struggle for rights, it is necessary to tap into emotion. While this is but a harmless debate here in this forum, it is to some of us part of a larger aim, a cause if you will.

I agree that we are an emotional species. However, I do not believe that emotion should dictate our actions. It can be the catalyst... and often is. But without science and facts, a position based on emotion alone withers. There is no substance to it... at least not to me.

Your issue with what to do with all those unwanted children is something I've grappled with myself, and have alluded to here at DP. My only answer to that is I do as much as I can to support education, ending homelessness, and providing hope to children and troubled families as I can through monetary donation and volunteering. I also encourage all my pro-life AND pro-choice friends to do the same. I write 3 Senators, a handful of Representatives (state and local) and many special interest groups almost daily on these issues. I only bring this up now is to encourage everyone here on both sides of the argument to do the same.

I would become pro-life if there was an excellent system in place for the children. Probably wouldn't hesitate.

Concern for the Child is huge for me as well, but I can't agree that it's better to terminate a child than allow it to live a less than perfect life. Way too many great people result from (survive) terrible childhoods and go on to great achievements for themselves and the rest of us. While I hate to be one that says "That's Life, deal with it", I'd say we are as defined by our adversity as we are by our happiness.

This is where you and I would part company. In order for my to "switch sides", I would want to see a system where a child could have every advantage of growing up in a household where they are wanted. Too much research and personal experience shows me that children that do not grow up in this environment, do poorly. I understand that this happens anyway, but if these children are born, we are looking at this on a far grander scale. This is where I draw the line. Again, better to have a horrible ending than to have horrors without an end.

At the root of all this is "natural rights". While I agree that no one can benefit from an inalienable right that society does not recognize, it does not deny the existence of that right, in my view.

Again, we part company on this issue. But, I do thank you for your "curiosity" and your response.

I agree that we are an emotional species. However, I do not believe that emotion should dictate our actions. It can be the catalyst... and often is. But without science and facts, a position based on emotion alone withers. There is no substance to it... at least not to me.

Agreed, emotion should be tempered with fact and science. However, one does not necessarily null out the other. Abortion itself often results from entirely emotional motives, after all.

This is where you and I would part company. In order for my to "switch sides", I would want to see a system where a child could have every advantage of growing up in a household where they are wanted. Too much research and personal experience shows me that children that do not grow up in this environment, do poorly. I understand that this happens anyway, but if these children are born, we are looking at this on a far grander scale. This is where I draw the line. Again, better to have a horrible ending than to have horrors without an end.

I know it may be hard to understand this, I often have difficulty illustrating my view on this, but; I believe that defining things as abortion, capitol punishment, warfare, etc as "wrong" will serve this end. Raising the sense of and respect for humanity, combined with a much more educated society will, in my view, greatly reduce and eventually eliminate abuse. Eventually. Poverty in an of itself does not destroy people, the side affects of poverty often do. Eliminating poverty, teaching respect, and increasing education (quality, quantity, and level) would go along way to fixing this problem.

queue Beatles music...

Last edited:
Agreed, emotion should be tempered with fact and science. However, one does not necessarily null out the other. Abortion itself often results from entirely emotional motives, after all.

I can pretty much agree with this. I always see emotion as the engine and science as being every other part of the car.

I know it may be hard to understand this, I often have difficulty illustrating my view on this, but; I believe that defining things as abortion, capitol punishment, warfare, etc as "wrong" will serve this end. Raising the sense of and respect for humanity, combined with a much more educated society will, in my view, greatly reduce and eventually eliminate abuse. Eventually. Poverty in an of itself does not destroy people, the side affects of poverty often do. Eliminating poverty, teaching respect, and increasing education (quality, quantity, and level) would go along way to fixing this problem.

queue Beatles music...

I agree with everything you said... from a theoretical standpoint. That's why I am so pro-governmental support for social services, education, etc...

cue Pink Floyd

Seriously, though, I agree with you. I think the problem is HOW we do some of these things. That's the quagmire that we all always end up in.

I can pretty much agree with this. I always see emotion as the engine and science as being every other part of the car.

I agree with everything you said... from a theoretical standpoint. That's why I am so pro-governmental support for social services, education, etc...

cue Pink Floyd

Seriously, though, I agree with you. I think the problem is HOW we do some of these things. That's the quagmire that we all always end up in.

nice, you let it slide, sorta.....

I'm glad we agree on most of this stuff. Now, just to figure out how to make it work!

And thus the sentiment expressed in my signature.

Roll tag!

Tell me Arcana, (I've asked a lot of people this with varied responses.) Do you consider yourself a proponent of "equal rights?"

By that I mean basic rights; Life, equal protection, due process, etc.

What about abortion for the mentally retarded, phyically disabled (that they will be bedridden or in severe pain),what about ? At the time of the Constitution abortions were not illegal, and from Wikipedia;
There were few laws on abortion in the United States at the time of independence, except the common law adopted from England, which held abortion to be legally acceptable if occurring before quickening. James Wilson, a framer of the U.S. Constitution, explained as follows:
“ With consistency, beautiful and undeviating, human life, from its commencement to its close, is protected by the common law. In the contemplation of law, life begins when the infant is first able to stir in the womb. By the law, life is protected not only from immediate destruction, but from every degree of actual violence, and, in some cases, from every degree of danger.[2]

Cap’n,

My view is that personhood is the only abortion issue. Based on what you’ve said, allow me to take a shot to convince you that it is the only issue (you already seem to think it is fairly important). I’ll do the usual cheap trick of applying your logic to people that people can agree are definitely people.

The simple question is – since you’ve experienced children in these poor situations, would you ever suggest that they end their life rather than try to resolve their numerous issues?

If so, you would be supporting much more than abortion to hold to your stance of “better to have a horrible ending than to have horrors without an end”.

If not, why would you want the “horrors” to continue? I don’t know what the difference would be other than personhood. The laws are different but we are discussing what the laws should be.

I’m sure you’ve heard of many cases where a woman never knew she was pregnant. After birth, should she be able to have the child “have a horrible end” (kill it) rather than “have horrors without end” (foster care / orphanage)?

What would it prove?
They wouldn't.

Exactly. :applaud

With this, (the site Admin applauding the sites worse rules offender and combined with the personal threats of censorship) I thnk I'm done with posting here at DP.

Thanks to all who were kind enough to consider my arguments.

/self ban

:2wave:

With this, (the site Admin applauding the sites worse rules offender and combined with the personal threats of censorship) I thnk I'm done with posting here at DP.

Thanks to all who were kind enough to consider my arguments.

/self ban

:2wave:

Interesting, I wonder if you'll stay gone. No offensive to you personally, but my past expirences, most of the time when someone says they're leaving a forum, they leave for a few days then come back.

Back
Top Bottom