• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Privitized Social Security

Iriemon said:
Depends on how you define the words. Welfare = "well fare" the well being. That what SS checks are, payment for the well fare of the elderly.

Social security is a pyramid scheme that differs from true welfare programs. If you don't work enough, you don't qualify. So obviously the most needy don't qualify. Seems like a pretty poorly constructed welfare program when the most needy don't qualify.

Depends upon how long he lives.
Also depends on if you ever stop paying in, which he doesn't. He still has earnings that go into the fund that exceed anything he gets out in a given year.

zymurgy said:
Social security is a pyramid scheme that differs from true welfare programs. If you don't work enough, you don't qualify. So obviously the most needy don't qualify. Seems like a pretty poorly constructed welfare program when the most needy don't qualify.

Good point. They should change it.

Also depends on if you ever stop paying in, which he doesn't. He still has earnings that go into the fund that exceed anything he gets out in a given year.

Is that right? Elderly folks who are receiving SS still have to pay SS taxes? Even so, SS taxes are maxed at 12.4% (including the employer's half) of 90k, which is just over $11k, so he is still pulling out twice as much as he's putting in.

Iriemon said:
Good point. They should change it.

Is that right? Elderly folks who are receiving SS still have to pay SS taxes? Even so, SS taxes are maxed at 12.4% (including the employer's half) of 90k, which is just over $11k, so he is still pulling out twice as much as he's putting in.

Based on the current calculations, nobody is getting more back in a given year then they would of put in at the max. I assume you pulled your 20k figure out of thin air, no?

zymurgy said:
Based on the current calculations, nobody is getting more back in a given year then they would of put in at the max. I assume you pulled your 20k figure out of thin air, no?

Kind of, but I think max SS benefits these days exceed $20k ...

Here, I found it. Max SS benefit $1,939/mo. (Age 65 and 6 months). That is almost $24k a year.

http://www.ssa.gov/pressoffice/factsheets/colafacts2005.htm.

the table reports max contribution is 6.2, which if you add theemployer's half, is 12.4%. SS is taxed (in 2005) on earnings up to $90k, which sets the max contribution at just a little over $11k.

So assuming (1) you are correct that those over 65 have to pay SS tax, and (2) Warren Buffet receives the maximum benefit, he is indeed receiving about twice what he puts in.

Iriemon said:
Kind of, but I think max SS benefits these days exceed $20k ...

Here, I found it. Max SS benefit $1,939/mo. (Age 65 and 6 months). That is almost $24k a year.

http://www.ssa.gov/pressoffice/factsheets/colafacts2005.htm.

the table reports max contribution is 6.2, which if you add theemployer's half, is 12.4%. SS is taxed (in 2005) on earnings up to $90k, which sets the max contribution at just a little over $11k.

So assuming (1) you are correct that those over 65 have to pay SS tax, and (2) Warren Buffet receives the maximum benefit, he is indeed receiving about twice what he puts in.

The max of $1,939 would only apply if you are receiving benefits for yourself and a deceased spouse. I don't beleive this applies to Mr Buffett.

zymurgy said:
The max of $1,939 would only apply if you are receiving benefits for yourself and a deceased spouse. I don't beleive this applies to Mr Buffett.

Hmmm. The table doesn't indicate it is conditioned upon that. It says: "Maximum Social Security Benefit: Worker Retiring at Full Retirement Age"

If not that, what is the max SS benefit a retired person can get?

Back
Top Bottom