• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Prisoners in multiple states call for strikes to protest forced labor

Go away with your rhetoric.
Ummm. No.

It costs the tax payer any wheres from 30-65 thousand dollars a year to house a convict. Getting back a little of the cost is fair game.
Forcing people to work for free is "fair game"? And the reasoning defending such actions is, well the taxpayers pay for it?

Besides, there are many prisons that teach trades, offer free GED's, and college courses in exchange for their labor. Many prisons also count prison jobs towards early release.
And those arent forced on then...

Not every prison is the same.
I know. We are talking about prisons that use forced labor here.

Prison reform needs to happen in this country, period. There is really no good reason to make prison hell.
You do understand the concept of punishment right? When you create a country where someone commits murder and then gets a hug and sent on their way that helps nobody.

Selling weed doesn't deserve being raped in prison.
I don't care how illegal it is.
Illegality doesn't mean leaving our values in the gutter.
You are trying to relate sexual rape to forced labor (the actual topic of the OP) which is a big time argument fallacy.
Just saying.

I don't feel bad for these poor "overworked" prisoners (not for being "overworked" at least).

Read more @: PRISONERS IN MULTIPLE STATES CALL FOR STRIKES TO PROTEST FORCED LABOR

Prison labor has essentially become the "next best thing since slavery". Pay your laborers either nothing or as little as .17 cents and they make your goods for you. [/FONT][/COLOR]

They refused to leave their cells... Well that sounds just downright terrible :roll:

They're being idiots - many fall back on their in-prison skills that they were given THE PRIVILEGE TO OBTAIN as a way to stay out of trouble outside of prison and get their feet back under them.

But of course prison is where thousands of immature idiot adults go when they're incapable of functioning like normal everyday humans, so naturally they'd want to take advantage of it. Why we expect them to ever grow up, I don't know. Clearly they can't.

ALL ADULTS WORK FOR A LIVING.

And when the state provides your living FOR YOU - you don't need YOUR OWN MONEY.

That should be incentive to get the hell OUT of prison and avoid ever going there.

Ummm. No.

Forcing people to work for free is "fair game"? And the reasoning defending such actions is, well the taxpayers pay for it?

And those arent forced on then...

I know. We are talking about prisons that use forced labor here.

We are done........... you are so full of BS. I made my kids take out the garbage.............bad parenting in your dim views!

With the vast majority of it is not forced. For those put on hard labor, some deserve it others do not, should be on a case by case basis.

I do not know the exact number of prisoners who are forced to work. Do you have any numbers on hand?

like slaves the prisoners are legally deprived of their freedom
but that does not mean that our prisons are operated humanely
there should be no forced labor
our prisons should be both austere and safe
it's time for our nation to take a hard look at hard time

Build more supermax prisons. Great idea. No work opportunities....errr...I mean slavery, and safe for the prisoners. I like it!

Work programs in prisons have done far more good than bad.

Are some extreme.....probably.

Are some really good......definitely. And we do not have enough of the good ones.

having jobs in prison is one way for the inmates to pay any restitution/fines/fees they owe ... it's also a way for them to make their time go by faster... and many learn at least some marketable skills.

if they want to sit in their cells 24/7 whatever... fine by me.... convicts having their time crawl by and still owing lots of money when they get out would simply be a consequences of their decision.
... or the state can make them work without pay... that's fine by me to.

about the only problem I have with prison labor is prisons who allow for profit firms use prison labor... but even then , the wages are much higher for the prisoners, and their restitution and fines get paid off much faster.
whether or not the prisoner has any money to themselves is not a concern of mine.

They refused to leave their cells... Well that sounds just downright terrible :roll:

They're being idiots - many fall back on their in-prison skills that they were given THE PRIVILEGE TO OBTAIN as a way to stay out of trouble outside of prison and get their feet back under them.

But of course prison is where thousands of immature idiot adults go when they're incapable of functioning like normal everyday humans, so naturally they'd want to take advantage of it. Why we expect them to ever grow up, I don't know. Clearly they can't.

ALL ADULTS WORK FOR A LIVING.

And when the state provides your living FOR YOU - you don't need YOUR OWN MONEY.

That should be incentive to get the hell OUT of prison and avoid ever going there.

That sounds good, but Jedi don't run prisons.

Used to be dangerous to travel in the south if you didn't have anybody to come looking for you on the chain gang, building roads with pickaxes for for profit outfits.

And that judge who just got busted for taking kickbacks for giving juveniles long sentences in for profit prisons.

Prisoners are not "offered" work. Able bodied prisoners are required to work. Prisoners that do not work for prison upkeep will work for UNICOR or its state equivalent.

Also, the concept of slave labor is silly. They are getting housing, food, medical, education, and entertainment. That stuff does not come free. If they are able bodied, they should help pay for it.

You are trying to relate sexual rape to forced labor (the actual topic of the OP) which is a big time argument fallacy.
Just saying.

I don't feel bad for these poor "overworked" prisoners (not for being "overworked" at least).

He said it was supposed to be hell.
To me, that's hell.

Here is one of the problem when Prison subjects come up.
Every State has their own system and they are not all the same.

Read more @: PRISONERS IN MULTIPLE STATES CALL FOR STRIKES TO PROTEST FORCED LABOR

Prison labor has essentially become the "next best thing since slavery". Pay your laborers either nothing or as little as .17 cents and they make your goods for you. [/FONT][/COLOR]
"As little as .17 cents and they make your goods for you?" WTF?

1. Maybe you didn't read the article thoroughly. Those earning more than .17 cents are those who are, in-general, making things for you.

Most able-bodied prisoners at federal facilities are required to work, and at least 37 states permit contracting prisoners out to private companies, though those contracts account for only a small percentage of prison labor. “Ironically, those are the only prison labor programs where prisoners make more than a few cents an hour,” Judith Greene, a criminal justice policy analyst, told The Intercept.

Instead, a majority of prisoners work for the prisons themselves, making well below the minimum wage in some states, and as little as 17 cents per hour in privately run facilities. In Texas and a few other states, mostly in the South, prisoners are not paid at all, said Erica Gammill, director of the Prison Justice League, an organization that works with inmates in 109 Texas prisons.

2. The lower wages are for the upkeep of the prison. Such as janitors, kitchen, grounds and maintenance workers.
Then there is the category of prison industries where they generally make a little more.
A State run industry manufacturing items for the State, like clothing, shoes, cleaning materials, license plates, etc.
They are made by the State for State use/purposes.

Prison reform needs to happen in this country, period. There is really no good reason to make prison hell.
Hell? Do you have any idea what hell is like?
Besides from the hype of movies, television and media reports, do you really have any idea what prison life is like?

Tell me, what percentage of sexual assaults in prison are done by prison guards? Hint: It's a high percentage.
A high percentage? Really? Do tell.

Keep in mind that an allegations does not mean an assault happened.

Guards May Be Responsible for Half of Prison Sexual Assaults

The survey also shows a growing proportion of the allegations have been dismissed by prison officials as “unfounded” or “unsubstantiated.” Only about 10 percent are substantiated by an investigation.

But even in the rare cases where there is enough evidence to prove that sexual abuse occurred, and that a correctional officer is responsible for it, the perpetrator rarely faces prosecution. While most prison staff shown to be involved in sexual misconduct lost their jobs, fewer than half were referred for prosecution, and only 1 percent ultimately got convicted.

Roughly one-third of staff caught abusing prisoners are allowed to resign before the investigation comes to a close, the report concludes, meaning there’s no public record of what exactly transpired and nothing preventing them from getting a similar job at another facility.

...​

https://www.propublica.org/article/guards-may-be-responsible-for-half-of-prison-sexual-assaults

"May" doesn't mean "are".

Only 10% of those allegations are substantiated by an investigation. So only like 5%. (Which coincids with a report from 2012 of 5.3% of faculty.)
And then there is rarely any case with evidence to prove sexual abuse occurred and only half of those rarities (what ever that percentage is) get referred for prosecution, of which only 1% get convicted. There is a reason the juries or Judges are not buy into the inmates allegation.

Allegations vs actual proven sexual assult. Two different things.

the reason they're there is of their own volition.
Unless they plead guilty knowing they would be going to prison they are not there of there own volition.
The Government decided they should be there.

Most prisoners when offered to work take it by their own free choice, know why, because they are given something to do to pass the time, often it is outside (a plus), they get a way to make a few bucks to buy things and it passes Time, something they want to do as quickly as possible. Take away all ability to do those things and then you Will see riots.
In the prisons that require work they reluctantly accept it as there is usually punishment if they do not.

sure there is. prison is supposed to be hell.
No it is not.
Prison is the place where the sentence of seperation from society by incarceration is carried out.
It is meant to be housing to carry out the purpose of your sentence, not to be hell.

I don't think they don't want to work. It passes the time.
The ratio of those who genuinely want to work vs those who do not want to work for the State/Man is generally low.

They are getting housing, food, medical, education, and entertainment. That stuff does not come free. If they are able bodied, they should help pay for it.
I disagree. I see no problem making the inmates pay for their own leisure time activities (sports equipment, games, television etc...) but as the State is the one who decided they needed to be imprisoned it is the State who should pay for it.

Lol. Prisoners are on prison because of their own actions. Trying to equate criminals with people taken against their will and made slaves is beyond ridiculous and is completely dishonest.

And note that Germany and other countries with prisons that rehabilitate well are very culturally homogeneous. A large part of our prison population does not want to be a part of American culture and feels that American culture is institutionally biased against them, rehabilitation will never work with that dynamic.
When was the last time you visited Germany?

I predict that the prisoners won't be put in charge of the prisons.

Just sayin'

"If you can't do the time,don't do the crime."

I disagree. I see no problem making the inmates pay for their own leisure time activities (sports equipment, games, television etc...) but as the State is the one who decided they needed to be imprisoned it is the State who should pay for it.

No, the State is not who decided they should be there. The prisoner decided to commit a crime worthy of jail time. The State did not send a letter demanding they commit the crime. The only thing the State did was implement due process. And not because they wanted to; because the criminal made them.

The irony is that people would rather see prisoners punished through virtual slavery because they 'deserve it' rather than free up those same labor jobs for the general public who could probably really use them right about now. Oh well, I guess the bottom line of big corporations comes first. :shrug:

I do not know the exact number of prisoners who are forced to work. Do you have any numbers on hand?

Nope, seems like more research should be done prior to jumping to a conclusion that large numbers are forced to do anything other than live by the rules.

Nope, seems like more research should be done prior to jumping to a conclusion that large numbers are forced to do anything other than live by the rules.

Well research doesnt need to be done to show that there are prisons in Texas that use forced labor... This is pretty clear...

but that does not mean that our prisons are operated humanely
there should be no forced labor
our prisons should be both austere and safe
it's time for our nation to take a hard look at hard time

This is difficult for me to say, but I agree. :D

I have no problem with voluntary work at very low wages, but no forced labor. And yes, prisons should be relatively safe, as far as rape, beatings, murder, etc.

Well research doesnt need to be done to show that there are prisons in Texas that use forced labor... This is pretty clear...

At least your off Kansas for a while.

Back
Top Bottom