• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Prisoners Could Serve 1,000 Year Sentence In 8 Hours

Like I said earlier, I really want a(n) (bio)ethics committee to review this drug and its effects. I think it's also important to consider the possibility making the drug's effects "last longer" than intended. What if someone sentenced to 40 years and the drug's effects make it feel like 60?

What about the addictive potential of recreational abuse?

Make your 10 second sexual orgasm last for hours or days?

-

What about the addictive potential of recreational abuse?

Make your 10 second sexual orgasm last for hours or days?

-
Why didn't I think of this earlier? Be right back, about to make my own version of this drug.

Miles_O%27Brien_after_20_yrs.jpg

It made me think of 1984.

Thinking you lost time and losing time are totally different. Ever fall asleep on the couch and think you slept through the night and then realized that you have only been out for a couple of hours.

Yeah, the process and potential uses do seem pretty Orwellian.

Sounds like Count Rugen has perfected his machine...

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Creepy, definitely. More humane? I don't know. After all, perception is reality. Part of the reason why we lock up criminals is because they're a threat to society (the violent ones anyway), and it was legally deemed that the criminal's potential positive influence in society is heavily outweighed by their negative influence and therefore must be removed. So they'd leave society for less than a day? I wonder how this would affect not only the individual, but society at large; are punishments supposed to be mostly internal or mostly external? Thoughts? Prisoners 'could serve 1,000 year sentence in eight hours' - Telegraph
I want to know who is funding this crap. The taxpayer?

Even if it is possible (and I doubt it is) ... sorry... dumb idea whether you want really punish someone, or if you seek to have sentences shortened... which is what this would be used for in the end. At the start it might be to really make someone pay, but you know, as time passes... years, decades... it would be to get criminals out of jail earlier.

Bad idea any which way it's sliced.

Prisoners Could Serve 1,000 Year Sentence In 8 Hours

reminds me of the Stephen King short story "The Jaunt."

i've had a couple instances where 8 hours seemed like a thousand years. mostly social gatherings where booze is not served. you gotta make that **** introvert friendly if you'd like me to attend.

Incarceron
When She Woke
are a couple of interesting Sci-Fi books about prison alternatives.

I think prison is ridiculously applied. No matter the crime, we have exactly ONE punishment method, and that method is extremely vulnerable to corruption.

Prison is appropriate for those that are a danger to society and have done so in a cruel, frightening or fatal way. Not only should really bad people go to prison, they should never be released. That doesn't mean they should be mistreated, just kept away from society.

For all other crimes, there are many other forms of punishment that would impose far less burden. Caning, as Singapore wisely uses, is quite a punishment, and requires just a few days of hospitalization. For most (non-violent) people, I suspect just 2 or 3 lashes would be enough to not want them to repeat their crime. Banishment is another good one, kick them out and let them make something of themselves.

I think there's a very good point here.

As I see it, there are two different purposes for which we imprison criminals.

One, in the case of particularly dangerous criminals, is to keep them away from free society, to protect the population at large from further crimes that this criminal might otherwise commit.

The other is as punishment, hopefully to deter crime with the fear of that punishment.

For the former purpose, I think imprisonment is appropriate, along with capital punishment in sufficiently severe cases. If a criminal is deemed sufficiently dangerous and unrehabilitatable, then he needs to be permanently removed from free society in order to protect everyone else from him.

For punishment of an offender who might be salvaged, imprisonment seems like a very poor method. We still want to impose consequences on such an offender that are sufficiently adverse to deter him from repeating his crime, and to deter others who might consider committing similar crimes, but when it is over, we want that offender to return to society, and to continue as a productive member thereof. Locking him up in prison for many years is contrary to this latter purpose.

I've long thought it was a mistake for our society to have abandoned “cruel” punishments such as the use of stocks, pillories, whipping, and such—punishments that can be imposed in less than a day, with sufficient seriousness to make the offender and any audience think twice before repeating the crime involved, but which then leave the offender to immediately return to his job, his family, and whatever life he might have; hopefully to avoid needing to be so punished again.

What if the victim was content with the "imaginary" 1000 year sentence?

I seriously doubt any victim or victims loved ones would be content with an actual 8 hour sentence.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Creepy, definitely. More humane? I don't know. After all, perception is reality.

Part of the reason why we lock up criminals is because they're a threat to society (the violent ones anyway), and it was legally deemed that the criminal's potential positive influence in society is heavily outweighed by their negative influence and therefore must be removed. So they'd leave society for less than a day? I wonder how this would affect not only the individual, but society at large; are punishments supposed to be mostly internal or mostly external?

Thoughts?

Prisoners 'could serve 1,000 year sentence in eight hours' - Telegraph

I like the idea. As I've said before until we develop a way in which to permanetly stop criminals from committing crime the DP should remain in effect. This might be a way to fix the problem and then we can get rid of the DP.

I seriously doubt any victim or victims loved ones would be content with an actual 8 hour sentence.

Our system shouldn't be about punishment or making victims or victims loved ones feel better because they know a person is in jail for life. It should be about what is best for society. If this can be a cure for the problem I'm all for it.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Creepy, definitely. More humane? I don't know. After all, perception is reality.

Part of the reason why we lock up criminals is because they're a threat to society (the violent ones anyway), and it was legally deemed that the criminal's potential positive influence in society is heavily outweighed by their negative influence and therefore must be removed. So they'd leave society for less than a day? I wonder how this would affect not only the individual, but society at large; are punishments supposed to be mostly internal or mostly external?

Thoughts?

Prisoners 'could serve 1,000 year sentence in eight hours' - Telegraph

This sounds like BS to me, in any case this will not change our criminal justice system.

Our system shouldn't be about punishment or making victims or victims loved ones feel better because they know a person is in jail for life. It should be about what is best for society. If this can be a cure for the problem I'm all for it.

WHen someone is raped, burglarized, murdered, scammed, or the victim of some other crime it is not society those things have happened to.It is the victim those things have happened to. So the idea that it should be what is best for society instead of the victims is absurd. We have the justice system to act as a unbiased 3rd party to determine guilt and then punish the guilty, which is a much better system that vigilante mobs running around administering justice.

Beware philofluffers speculating about science.

Do the victims have the same option of shrugging off their suffering in 8 hours? Having perhaps ruined a great many lives prior to incarceration (or even taken them altogether), is it just that the perpetrator should walk away with a clean slate after being inconvenienced for a mere 8 hours? I think not. Surely one aspect of serving time is payment in kind. If not of the nature of the crime itself, then as a reflection of that which has been deprived. Namely, time.

WHen someone is raped, burglarized, murdered, scammed, or the victim of some other crime it is not society those things have happened to.It is the victim those things have happened to. So the idea that it should be what is best for society instead of the victims is absurd. We have the justice system to act as a unbiased 3rd party to determine guilt and then punish the guilty, which is a much better system that vigilante mobs running around administering justice.

Actually no its not absurd. Instead of all that money going towards perpetual incarceration it could instead go towards things like medicine and education. We spend billions on incarceration only to have half of them get out and commit a crime again. Which creates more victims. This has the potential to eliminate future victims. Between all of that...its a great idea.

Beware philofluffers speculating about science.

Do the victims have the same option of shrugging off their suffering in 8 hours? Having perhaps ruined a great many lives prior to incarceration (or even taken them altogether), is it just that the perpetrator should walk away with a clean slate after being inconvenienced for a mere 8 hours? I think not. Surely one aspect of serving time is payment in kind. If not of the nature of the crime itself, then as a reflection of that which has been deprived. Namely, time.

Actually I think that this could be used to alleviate their suffering. This seems to have the possibility of a few applications. Particularly the part of speeding up a persons thought processes via computers.

Except for the ones that do and realize that it will be the same experience as being in jail for 1,000 years. Let's say one exists, would you like them to determine the punishment for their crime against them?

I think there's a very good point here.

As I see it, there are two different purposes for which we imprison criminals.

One, in the case of particularly dangerous criminals, is to keep them away from free society, to protect the population at large from further crimes that this criminal might otherwise commit.

The other is as punishment, hopefully to deter crime with the fear of that punishment.

For the former purpose, I think imprisonment is appropriate, along with capital punishment in sufficiently severe cases. If a criminal is deemed sufficiently dangerous and unrehabilitatable, then he needs to be permanently removed from free society in order to protect everyone else from him.

For punishment of an offender who might be salvaged, imprisonment seems like a very poor method. We still want to impose consequences on such an offender that are sufficiently adverse to deter him from repeating his crime, and to deter others who might consider committing similar crimes, but when it is over, we want that offender to return to society, and to continue as a productive member thereof. Locking him up in prison for many years is contrary to this latter purpose.

I've long thought it was a mistake for our society to have abandoned “cruel” punishments such as the use of stocks, pillories, whipping, and such—punishments that can be imposed in less than a day, with sufficient seriousness to make the offender and any audience think twice before repeating the crime involved, but which then leave the offender to immediately return to his job, his family, and whatever life he might have; hopefully to avoid needing to be so punished again.

I agree with you completely.

Actually I think that this could be used to alleviate their suffering. This seems to have the possibility of a few applications. Particularly the part of speeding up a persons thought processes via computers.
That's rather vague.

That's rather vague.

Well, the only thing that really alleviates mental suffering is time. If they truely believe that a certain amount of time has passed maybe that suffering will reflect that. Psychology is quite an interesting subject and its down right amazing how the brain reacts to certain stimuli.

Idea is not absurd.

Of course justice system is about what's best for society and not what is best for any victims.

Justice =/= vengeance.

Besides, I think subjecting a prisoner to a thousand years of imprisonment within his own mind is damn near the worst punishment you could possibly inflict, depending of course on where the prisoner thinks they are and what they think they are doing.

Idea is not absurd.

Of course justice system is about what's best for society and not what is best for any victims.

Justice =/= vengeance.

Besides, I think subjecting a prisoner to a thousand years of imprisonment within his own mind is damn near the worst punishment you could possibly inflict, depending of course on where the prisoner thinks they are and what they think they are doing.

I'm in the Bat Cave, but damn it, why is Robin here instead of Bat Girl?

That's bizzarro. Seems to me it'd have much better applications than that, though. Imagine brilliant minds in a think tank? How interesting!!

They probably just watched one of the many movies that have that as a plot element.

Back
Top Bottom