• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Prisoners Could Serve 1,000 Year Sentence In 8 Hours

TeleKat

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I'm not sure how I feel about this. Creepy, definitely. More humane? I don't know. After all, perception is reality.

Part of the reason why we lock up criminals is because they're a threat to society (the violent ones anyway), and it was legally deemed that the criminal's potential positive influence in society is heavily outweighed by their negative influence and therefore must be removed. So they'd leave society for less than a day? I wonder how this would affect not only the individual, but society at large; are punishments supposed to be mostly internal or mostly external?

Thoughts?

Prisoners 'could serve 1,000 year sentence in eight hours' - Telegraph

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Creepy, definitely. More humane? I don't know. After all, perception is reality.

Part of the reason why we lock up criminals is because they're a threat to society (the violent ones anyway), and it was legally deemed that the criminal's potential positive influence in society is heavily outweighed by their negative influence and therefore must be removed. So they'd leave society for less than a day? I wonder how this would affect not only the individual, but society at large; are punishments supposed to be mostly internal or mostly external?

Thoughts?

That's bizzarro. Seems to me it'd have much better applications than that, though. Imagine brilliant minds in a think tank? How interesting!!

Thoughts?

The internal and the external are parts of the whole.

What effects one effects both.

I'm curious how an ethics (probably bioethics) committee would rule on this.

Thoughts?

A inmate should serve real time behind bars.Imaginary 1000 year sentence is still imaginary.Saying here well make you spend eight hours for murdering,raping, burglarizing or some other crime is a slap in the face to the victims. Actually its not slap in the face to the victims, its tying the victim down and stomping them in the nuts over and over again.

A inmate should serve real time behind bars.Imaginary 1000 year sentence is still imaginary.Saying here well make you spend eight hours for murdering,raping, burglarizing or some other crime is a slap in the face to the victims. Actually its not slap in the face to the victims, its tying the victim down and stomping them in the nuts over and over again.

Do you think having the victim pay taxes to support the incarceration of their attacker is actually serving them? Is that not actually making them once again a victim to this individual that committed a crime against them? I do not support messing with peoples minds to punish them with the use of drugs, but I can't figure out why anyone would support prison either.

Incarceron
When She Woke
are a couple of interesting Sci-Fi books about prison alternatives.

I think prison is ridiculously applied. No matter the crime, we have exactly ONE punishment method, and that method is extremely vulnerable to corruption.

Prison is appropriate for those that are a danger to society and have done so in a cruel, frightening or fatal way. Not only should really bad people go to prison, they should never be released. That doesn't mean they should be mistreated, just kept away from society.

For all other crimes, there are many other forms of punishment that would impose far less burden. Caning, as Singapore wisely uses, is quite a punishment, and requires just a few days of hospitalization. For most (non-violent) people, I suspect just 2 or 3 lashes would be enough to not want them to repeat their crime. Banishment is another good one, kick them out and let them make something of themselves.

What a horrific torture device.
For example, record some woman bitching at him and in 8 hours it would seem like 1,000 years.
Or... just strap the person in facing an empty white wall - or 1ooo years of rap or Tejano music?
1000 years of someone reading my messages to you.

Do you think having the victim pay taxes to support the incarceration of their attacker is actually serving them? Is that not actually making them once again a victim to this individual that committed a crime against them? I do not support messing with peoples minds to punish them with the use of drugs, but I can't figure out why anyone would support prison either.

How would you punish a rapist, molester, burglar or some other violent criminal without sticking them in prison?

With that kind of tech, I would think some form of rehabilitation could be done instead.

As I understand things, at least part of the reason for repeated crimes is the culture and contacts made in prison. Eliminate the culture and contacts, and you would probably reduce repeat offenders. Or something. More money though.

You want to give the Federal Government, populated by characters like:

Eric Holder - "It is demeaning to MY PEOPLE"

John Holdren -
Women could be forced to abort their pregnancies, whether they wanted to or not;
• The population at large could be sterilized by infertility drugs intentionally put into the nation's drinking water or in food;
• Single mothers and teen mothers should have their babies seized from them against their will and given away to other couples to raise;
• People who "contribute to social deterioration" (i.e. undesirables) "can be required by law to exercise reproductive responsibility" -- in other words, be compelled to have abortions or be sterilized.
• A transnational "Planetary Regime" should assume control of the global economy and also dictate the most intimate details of Americans' lives -- using an armed international police force.

Hilary Clinton in the Benghazi Meltdown: "What Difference Does It Make?"

President Obama -
"I've got my phone and my pen."
"The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person..."
'I won'
There is much, much, much more... Barack Obama quotes from Boycottliberalism.com

Bill Maher shamelessly mocked our WWII vets on his show when he said, “They’re the greatest generation – nobody said they were the brightest generation.”

Oprah - “There are still generations of people, older people, who were born and bred and marinated in it — in that prejudice and racism — and they just have to die!”
Oprah: Racism Will End When All the Old White People Die | FrontPage Magazine

Augustin Cebada, Brown Berets; "Go back to Boston ! Go back to Plymouth Rock, Pilgrims! Get out! We are the future. You are old and tired. Go on. We have beaten you. Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die . . Through love of having children, we are going to take over.
http://www.examiner.com/article/leave-like-beaten-rats-you-old-white-people-it-is-your-duty-to-die

You really want to give this crowd of arrogant, vindictive, self-serving, self-righteous, Anti-White Racist, People, a TOOL like the one outlined in the OP?

Are you NUTS!

They would only misuse it, in combination with other tortures, say, having your intestines ripped out, to make the experience one of having your intestines ripped out for 1000 years... and they'd make their families WATCH!

-

Last edited:

Thoughts?

Do that to them, but leave them hooked up for their entire sentence, not just 8 hrs.

Do that to them, but leave them hooked up for their entire sentence, not just 8 hrs.

So, since normal punishments and tortures are not enough for you....

You want to use public "Medical" research dollars to develop designer torture drugs that allow 1000 Year sentence for every day, of a 60 years long life... as punishment?

So you want to give the Government the ability to cause 60Years X 365 Days X 24 Hours X 1000 Years / hour = 525,600,000 time more pain and suffering?

You think that is better than simply executing the person?

Why?

-

So, since normal punishments and tortures are not enough for you....

You want to use public "Medical" research dollars to develop designer torture drugs that allow 1000 Year sentence for every day, of a 60 years long life... as punishment?

So you want to give the Government the ability to cause 60Years X 365 Days X 24 Hours X 1000 Years / hour = 525,600,000 time more pain and suffering?

You think that is better than simply executing the person?

Why?

-

Depends on the crime and execution method.

Thoughts?

Besides punishment, prison also locks people up when they are young and releases them when they are old, a time in which, it is presumed, they are less dangerous to society. So, if technology can be developed which will age some scumbag criminal like a child molester by 50 years and also make their brains think they served 50 years of hard time in prison, but do it all in only a few short, cost-effective, hours...I'd be all for it.

Depends on the crime and execution method.

You actually believe that you have the right, and the wisdom, to justly sentence someone to 525 Million times more pain and suffering?

Have you ever heard of the term, Hubris?

There was a time when the enlightened people in our criminal justice system had reform of the person into a productive citizen in mind...

You actually believe that you have the right, and the wisdom, to justly sentence someone to 525 Million times more pain and suffering?

Have you ever heard of the term, Hubris?

There was a time when the enlightened people in our criminal justice system had reform of the person into a productive citizen in mind...

How did that work out for us? Oh, yeah, prison and jail became a trade school for crime.

The two biggest mistakes in the Constitution are the 5th amendment and 8th. Any person committing a crime incriminates themselves by doing it. It should be unusual to have to punish people and if the punishment does not contain an adequate amount of cruelty, then it is not punishment nor effective as a deterrent.

I support removing those amendments and introducing the use of chemical interrogation by court order to held determine guilt. A criminal should also, if possible, be made to suffer all the negative affects that their victims went through.

Someone like a child molester should have CM tattooed to his forehead and remain in general population until his/her public hanging.

Every new technological innovation has the potential to better society or to worsen it. This is no different. I feel like this could be too easily abused.

How did that work out for us? Oh, yeah, prison and jail became a trade school for crime.

The two biggest mistakes in the Constitution are the 5th amendment and 8th. Any person committing a crime incriminates themselves by doing it. It should be unusual to have to punish people and if the punishment does not contain an adequate amount of cruelty, then it is not punishment nor effective as a deterrent.

I support removing those amendments and introducing the use of chemical interrogation by court order to held determine guilt. A criminal should also, if possible, be made to suffer all the negative affects that their victims went through.

Someone like a child molester should have CM tattooed to his forehead and remain in general population until his/her public hanging.

I am not against Capital Punishment, when it is deemed, by a jury of your peers, that reform is unlikely and giving it a chance is at too high of a cost to society.

But it should only be done by JURY of our peers, never by a single Judge sentencing. It should be done as a means of pragmatic pursuit of peace, law and order for the majority of innocent and law abiding citizens. It should NEVER be done as a means of Vindication!

I am totally against Vindictive Government in any way, sort or fashion.

No crime is sufficiently vile to justify Vindictive Government.

I am also against giving any modern Government, any form of increased power over the citizens... we've gone far too long down that path already.

What if the victim was content with the "imaginary" 1000 year sentence?

Thoughts?

It made me think of 1984.

Thinking you lost time and losing time are totally different. Ever fall asleep on the couch and think you slept through the night and then realized that you have only been out for a couple of hours.

What if the victim was content with the "imaginary" 1000 year sentence?

If experience shows that people given the 1000year/1hour "Treatment", continue to commit crimes, and welcome the same sentence again, then the whole "Treatment" is a fraud and a dodge.

I'm not sure which would be worse, the "Treatment" being a Fraud, or it being real?

Perhaps the best choice is to never develop such evil at all.

-

It made me think of 1984.

Thinking you lost time and losing time are totally different. Ever fall asleep on the couch and think you slept through the night and then realized that you have only been out for a couple of hours.

It reminds me of "Tinman" and "ClockWork Orange"

I am not against Capital Punishment, when it is deemed, by a jury of your peers, that reform is unlikely and giving it a chance is at too high of a cost to society.

But it should only be done by JURY of our peers, never by a single Judge sentencing. It should be done as a means of pragmatic pursuit of peace, law and order for the majority of innocent and law abiding citizens. It should NEVER be done as a means of Vindication!

I am totally against Vindictive Government in any way, sort or fashion.

No crime is sufficiently vile to justify Vindictive Government.

I am also against giving any modern Government, any form of increased power over the citizens... we've gone far too long down that path already.

I said court ordered chemical interrogation, I did not say do away with trial by jury. Although, I would support trained and educated professional juries instead of "who was too stupid to get out of jury duty" type selections we do today.

It's not about vindictiveness, it's about deterrence and correcting the behavior of people. People, at least in literature that I've seen, feared hanging. You don't hear of people having a fear of lethal injection. But then, hangings were public and not done in secret either.

As we see today, if punishment is not severe enough, then you get repeat offenders quite often.

If experience shows that people given the 1000year/1hour "Treatment", continue to commit crimes, and welcome the same sentence again, then the whole "Treatment" is a fraud and a dodge.

I'm not sure which would be worse, the "Treatment" being a Fraud, or it being real?

Perhaps the best choice is to never develop such evil at all.

-
Like I said earlier, I really want a(n) (bio)ethics committee to review this drug and its effects. I think it's also important to consider the possibility making the drug's effects "last longer" than intended. What if someone sentenced to 40 years and the drug's effects make it feel like 60?

Back
Top Bottom