• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[R.I.P.] Prince Philip dead: The Duke of Edinburgh dies aged 99

Not remotely interested. All day yesterday and today the media has been fawning over the guy as if he were a saint, and who is about as relevant to the average Brit as a Kalahari Bushman. As far as I'm concerned he's just another old guy who died. Sad for the family but, meh, who else really cares?

speak for yourself pal.

No you insinuated that Phillip isn’t relevant to the average Brit which is just not the case. Like him or loathe him the man has been a symbol of the institution for several generations
To ardent royalists maybe, not to me. Tell me, in what way was he relevant to you and your life? I expect we'll soon be hearing about a 'national outpouring of grief' generated by the media, as with Diana's death.

Not remotely interested. All day yesterday and today the media has been fawning over the guy as if he were a saint, and who is about as relevant to the average Brit as a Kalahari Bushman. As far as I'm concerned he's just another old guy who died. Sad for the family but, meh, who else really cares?

I was going to comment on this, then decided not to do so. Now that it has become a big point of debate, I am going to say what I had planned to say originally. If one wants to be anti-monarchy, that is fine. I, personally, find it upsetting to see this comment directed at Prince Philip, however. I do not feel he ever did anything that deserved to be disparaged. He was not some selfish king who starved his subjects, after all.

I find it unkind to call him "just another old guy who died". If it is sad for his family to lose him, as you acknowledge, why can't you treat his death with silence? (Presuming you have nothing laudatory to say.) Why do you have a need to keep others from mourning him? How do their feelings harm you?

I was going to comment on this, then decided not to do so. Now that it has become a big point of debate, I am going to say what I had planned to say originally. If one wants to be anti-monarchy, that is fine. I, personally, find it upsetting to see this comment directed at Prince Philip, however. I do not feel he ever did anything that deserved to be disparaged. He was not some selfish king who starved his subjects, after all.

I find it unkind to call him "just another old guy who died". If it is sad for his family to lose him, as you acknowledge, why can't you treat his death with silence? (Presuming you have nothing laudatory to say.) Why do you have a need to keep others from mourning him? How do their feelings harm you?
The only people whose passing I mourn are my direct family and close friends. I don't waste time crying over total strangers.

To ardent royalists maybe, not to me. Tell me, in what way was he relevant to you and your life? I expect we'll soon be hearing about a 'national outpouring of grief' generated by the media, as with Diana's death.

Higgins is right. Philip has been at the centre of the monarchy for 75 years. I say this not as an ''ardent royalist'' but as a staunch republican who thinks a monarchy anachronistic and demeaning. In fact I'm a republican twice over; as a Brit/Swede dual national I would like to see the end or monarchy in both my countries.

The only people whose passing I mourn are my direct family and close friends. I don't waste time crying over total strangers.

Oh dear! You sadden me! I had so much hoped you would shed a quiet tear when I kick the bucket in a year or two.

he’s a fellow ex servicemen and was lucky enough to meet him twice. Once at Somme Barracks and once as a teenager at Dheklia Garrison in Cyprus. There is no “ outpouring of grief” for Phillip. It’s more just recognising that a huge symbol of our country has passed and remembering his incredible life.

"Sophie, Countess of Wessex, today led royal tributes to Prince Philip as she movingly described his death on Friday as 'so gentle' and said how his passing was 'just like someone took him by the hand and off he went'.

The Duke of Edinburgh's daughter-in-law was among those attending a Sunday service at the Royal Chapel of All Saints at Royal Lodge in Windsor this afternoon, two days after Philip died two months before his 100th birthday." Sophie Wessex says Prince Philip's death was 'gentle, it's just like someone took him by the hand' | Daily Mail Online

So she has no way to control the succession after her death? Can she relinquish her crown to William?
I could be wrong, but I believe only death or abdication could remove Prince Charles from succession once Queen Elizabeth dies or abdicates. Considering the ages of Prince Phillip and Queen Elizabeth, I'm guessing Prince Charles still has a long life as King ahead of him. Also, considering Prince Charles' "progressive activism", I find it highly unlikely that he will give up the chance to become King once his mother leaves the throne. Because of that activism, he may become a disaster as King, totally ruining his mother's posture as monarch before him, but that's what we're in line for in the next 30 or so years.

"During the Second World War, Prince Philip served in the Navy.
While serving on the battleship Valiant (HMS Valiant) of the Mediterranean Fleet, he was noted in dispatches for his participation in the battle of Cape Matapan in 1941. He was responsible for the ship's searchlights and played an important role in the night battle. "I found another ship, its central part was illuminated and almost instantly disappeared after a volley at point-blank range from 15-inch guns," - mentioned in the autobiography of the Duke of Edinburgh.
In October 1942, he was serving on the destroyer HMS Wallace and was one of the youngest assistant ship commanders in the Royal Navy." Принц Филипп, герцог Эдинбургский: надежда и опора Елизаветы II - BBC News Русская служба

*Edit: When you click on the link I've added here, a window will pop open offering to translate to English.

Nota

Last edited by a moderator:
So she has no way to control the succession after her death? Can she relinquish her crown to William?

I believe it would take an act of Parliament to do that, but she wouldn't do it anyway. Why pass over Charles? No reason for that.

Rest in peace, Prince Philip.

Requiescat in Pace

The phrase Requiescat in pace began to be found on tombstones around the eighth century, and it was commonplace on Christian tombs by the eighteenth century. The phrase was especially prominent with the Roman Catholics. It was seen as a request that the soul of a deceased individual would find peace in the afterlife. Roman Catholics believed in and placed much emphasis on the soul, and life after death, and thus the request was for peace in the afterlife.

The phrase continued to spread and gain popularity, eventually becoming a common convention. The lack of any explicit reference to the soul in the short phrase caused people to believe that it was the physical body that was wished to enjoy eternal peace and rest in a grave. The phrase can be used to mean either aspect of modern culture.

https://www.thoughtco.com/requiesca...t in pace is a,individual who has passed away.

Do i think Charles will be passed over, doubt it, it would require an Act of Parliament and approval from other dominions.

I doubt it as well!
And it would be unfair!

Will you watch the funeral on Saturday?

Military rehearsals have taken place for the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral.
Prince Philip, who died on Friday aged 99, will be remembered in a service at St George's Chapel in the grounds of Windsor Castle on Saturday.
The televised event will be carried out in line with Covid restrictions but there will be a military presence with personnel from the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Army and RAF.
Buckingham Palace said the plans "very much" reflected the duke's wishes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56746947

I will - if I can.

It will be a much more smaller affair than the Queen Mother's, and much shorter. The procession to the chapel will take 10 minutes, the service 45 minutes.

I for one am pleased Megan stayed at home, she would only divert attention from the ceremony. One less prima donna is a good thing.

I think I did.

The Duke of Edinburgh Awards helped thousands of young woman and men find long lasting careers and there place in society. In addition Prince Phillip was a tireless supporter of the WWF and an environmentalist long before most. Like him or loath him, the man has left a positive mark, which is more than most.

Back
Top Bottom