• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Prince--Gay, Straight or Who Cares?

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Fascinating subject covered in this article.
I'm a gender and sexuality scholar. Here's how the media blew it on Prince. - Vox

Personally, I am sucked into trying to understand these types of dichotomies. Prince was vocally anti-gay and supposedly a devout Jehovah Witness Christian (born a 7th Day Adventist--which is just as nutty), but yet he had sex parties, dressed like a queen and did pretty much everything Freddie Mercury was known for except admit to it. What always puzzles me is. How do we define that person?

Maybe, it needs no definition.

Here's what I teach my students in diversity and mass communication: If people self-identify as something, we should take their words for it. If people don't want to self-identify as something, we shouldn't force it on them. But mainstream thought posits: "If a man dresses like a woman, doesn't that make him queer? If a man has sex with other men, doesn't that make him gay?"

Not necessarily.

Prince tried to help us understand the differences between identity (how we think of ourselves), behavior (what we do), and perception (how others think of us). Prince dismantled and queered what contemporary culture has tried to bracket.

For those of you who are too young to remember, or for those of you who are old enough to forget: Perhaps the apparent controversy demands a peruse through the archives....

IMO, Prince was a very bisexual individual who had such a ****ed up religion that he could not openly admit to his identity. So, he hid it in the closet and did his behavior on the sly. Not that he was good at hiding it...I dare say.

I don't really care but if I had to guess I would say he was bi.

I don't care.
But how about this from the horse's mouth.
Apparently a total freak with or without drugs - and apparently another who altered himself to look whiter.
Some other Delusions of this Jehovah's WitLess.

b5d3dc16ec0fe7e181e1849b608b4cec.jpg

Fascinating subject covered in this article.
I'm a gender and sexuality scholar. Here's how the media blew it on Prince. - Vox

Personally, I am sucked into trying to understand these types of dichotomies. Prince was vocally anti-gay and supposedly a devout Jehovah Witness Christian (born a 7th Day Adventist--which is just as nutty), but yet he had sex parties, dressed like a queen and did pretty much everything Freddie Mercury was known for except admit to it. What always puzzles me is. How do we define that person?

Maybe, it needs no definition.

IMO, Prince was a very bisexual individual who had such a ****ed up religion that he could not openly admit to his identity. So, he hid it in the closet and did his behavior on the sly. Not that he was good at hiding it...I dare say.

Who gives a flying doughnut, what the guy was. It wasn't even important, when he was alive.

I don't care what anybody's sexual orientation is, let alone Prince. To his credit, if he was gay or bi, he certainly didn't throw it in everybody's face every chance he had which says to me he was comfortable in his own skin. I am for everybody being happy with who and whatever they are and living and let live.

I don't care.
But how about this from the horse's mouth.
Apparently a total freak with or without drugs - and apparently another who altered himself to look whiter.
Some other Delusions of this Jehovah's WitLess.

Yeah, whackadoodle for sure.

I don't care what anybody's sexual orientation is, let alone Prince. To his credit, if he was gay or bi, he certainly didn't throw it in everybody's face every chance he had which says to me he was comfortable in his own skin. I am for everybody being happy with who and whatever they are and living and let live.

Personally, I prefer someone who is honest, out and in the open, like Freddie Mercury, over a closet homosexual preacher. But, hey. Free country.

I'm going to go with "who cares" for $1000 Alex

Personally, I prefer someone who is honest, out and in the open, like Freddie Mercury, over a closet homosexual preacher. But, hey. Free country.

I don't think I have ever had any reason or need when I was teaching, when I was preaching, when I have been writing opinion, or counseling, or engaged in any vocation or avocation, or just interacting with any person of any age of any sexual orientation to express my own sexual orientation. I allow gay and bi people to be equally 'normal' and comfortable with who they are and that such does not dictate who or what any person is. If you are more comfortable with gay people who feel the need to explain that to anybody or everybody fine--for some reason that I don't understand, that is important to you. But I don't require that of people I know or meet.

In your mind, and I appreciate that you have the right to express it.

MJ could sing and dance.

prince could sing, dance, and play 20 different instruments , being a virtuoso in most of them.

as i said .. objectively speaking....;)

I don't think I have ever had any reason or need when I was teaching, when I was preaching, when I have been writing opinion, or counseling, or engaged in any vocation or avocation, or just interacting with any person of any age of any sexual orientation to express my own sexual orientation. I allow gay and bi people to be equally 'normal' and comfortable with who they are and that such does not dictate who or what any person is. If you are more comfortable with gay people who feel the need to explain that to anybody or everybody fine--for some reason that I don't understand, that is important to you. But I don't require that of people I know or meet.

By "preaching" I refer to someone who speaks out against the gay community, opposing gay marriage. If doing so while he himself is gay, bi or queer, yes. I have a problem with that.

Now, if as is described in the article, someone is queer in the fluid sense that he or she experimented with same sex relationships only to evolve later into a hetero-normative who found religion...well, that is what I prefer to see us discuss in this thread.

MJ could sing and dance.

prince could sing, dance, and play 20 different instruments , being a virtuoso in most of them.

as i said .. objectively speaking....;)

Prince was a true musical genius. I do not like all his music, but, whether I like it or not, most of his stuff is excellent. Some of his songs I do like. Purple Rain, for example, is a masterpiece IMO.

Who cares what his was..... to me, he will always be another MJ wannabe.

lol jimmi hendrix maybe. MJ seriously? Remind me when he played electric guitar or even any instrument

His early music was all about the erotic, so I care.

His early music was all about the erotic, so I care.

What grabbed my attention is that the PC Progressive crowd uses similar psychobabble seen in the article to obfuscate reality. Reality being that behavior and biology dictate who you are. In PC Psychobabble land, behavior and biology do not mean a thing--all that matters is how someone self-identifies. I call that hogwash, BTW.

Anyway, the article does a good job trying to explain why there is gray there, and that we cannot judge a book by its cover or the actions of its author. I don't necessarily buy it, but I can almost get where the writer is going with that argument.

My truest understanding though is that sexuality is probably much more fluid than we give it credit. And, that perhaps Prince was bi at one time, but he has since found religion and bliss in living a hetero-monogamous identity. In some ways, this kills the gay agenda argument that you cannot change gay. lol, funny how that works.

Last edited:
lol jimmi hendrix maybe. MJ seriously? Remind me when he played electric guitar or even any instrument

Prince was far more talented than Jimi...and I say that as a huge Hendrix fan from days gone by.

In some ways, this kills the gay agenda argument that you cannot change gay. lol, funny how that works.

What? You maybe can change a gay person's personality, but you can't change their sexuality.

What? You maybe can change a gay person's personality, but you can't change their sexuality.

I don't know. If what was said about Prince is to be believed, he went straight after finding God.

Personally, I know no one who was gay that went straight. But, I now a dozen people at least who were bi and are now straight or gay. So...it's that fluid thing again.

I don't know. If what was said about Prince is to be believed, he went straight after finding God.
But we do know. You cannot mold someone's sexuality. Just because Prince believed that he 'went straight' after finding God, does not mean that is true.

But we do know. You cannot mold someone's sexuality. Just because Prince believed that he 'went straight' after finding God, does not mean that is true.

lol...why not?

If he quit ****ing or being ****ed by guys, he went straight. Or, are you one of those who says behavior means nothing? If the dude was no longer attracted to or into having sex with people of the same sex, how is he not straight?

lol...why not?

If he quit ****ing or being ****ed by guys, he went straight. Or, are you one of those who says behavior means nothing? If the dude was no longer attracted to or into having sex with people of the same sex, how is he not straight?

The fact is that at the end of the day, there is absolutely no evidence that a person's sexuality can be changed and even when it is "changed" (as in the outward appearance and the inward fear of being true to him/herself), it's usually done with great harm to the person's mental state.

Homosexuality has already been proven to be an innate part of someone's biological makeup. One cannot choose to "stop" being gay, anymore than one can choose to "stop" being white, or black or having blue eyes for that matter. I can go tanning and get very very dark, and I can put brown contacts in, but at the end of the day I'm still white with blue eyes. The arguments made against homosexuality are based in myth and debunked pseudo-science agenda from the 1950's. All of which have been proven false. We know for a fact homosexuality is something biologically innate.

And if Prince really went from ****ing men to women, then he was most likely bisexual not heterosexual. But then again I have no idea, nor do I really care to know.

Back
Top Bottom