• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Prince Died Without a Will, According to Court Documents Filed by His Sister

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/27/a...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Prince died without a will, according to court documents filed by his sister on Tuesday, potentially causing big complications for that star’s sprawling financial estate and musical legacy.

In probate documents filed with the Carver County District Court in Minnesota, Tyka Nelson, 55, Prince’s sister, said that her brother died without a spouse, children or surviving parents, and that “I do not know of the existence of a will.”

Ms. Nelson’s petition also listed five half-siblings as heirs, and asked the court to appoint a special administrator for the estate “because no personal representative has been appointed in Minnesota or elsewhere.” Minnesota law treats surviving half-siblings the same as full siblings, raising the possibility of a drawn-out family battle.

Who gets Prince's millions? - Apr. 25, 2016
Thoughts are?

Not wise at all, the courts will have their hands full trying to sort through this.

Well, it's not my area, but as he has one surviving sibling and no issue, I'm fairly certain it'll simply all go to the sibling under most state's law...

Not wise at all, the courts will have their hands full trying to sort through this.

Perhaps, but unless my memory of estate law is completely off, it probably won't be a problem unless a bunch of people come out of the woodwork claiming to be offspring. Which might be problematic as I believe he was cremated, so who knows about available tissue for DNA matching

Well, it's not my area, but as he has one surviving sibling and no issue, I'm fairly certain it'll simply all go to the sibling under most state's law...

One attorney was interviewed as saying half-siblings qualify as well, though some disagree with that. I believe there are half-siblings. His sister is his only full-sibling.

Perhaps, but unless my memory of estate law is completely off, it probably won't be a problem unless a bunch of people come out of the woodwork claiming to be offspring. Which might be problematic as I believe he was cremated, so who knows about available tissue for DNA matching

UNLEASH THE LAWYERS!

but you are correct. but that won't stop the games

A dead celebrity with no will and lots of people who want his money...

This oughta be fun.

Give it all to Keith Richards. He's going to outlive everybody else anyways.

Usually, who's ever the closet relative is legally the benefactor. I don't blame him for leaving it open, though it's usually easier to appoint who you want to inherit your possessions.

Not to make too big a deal out of it, but I do blame him for not having a will or trust or other way to distribute his estate. He's just guaranteed his heirs (and business partners if any), whoever they are, will spend maybe $10s of millions fighting over his estate, lots of hurt feelings, court fights, etc. Maybe they'd have fought anyway, but he guaranteed it, and all he had to do for a chance at a fairly routine estate administration was sit down, make out a list of who HE wanted to get his money, and hand it to a lawyer, who would do the rest.

Even for everyday folks, it's pretty irresponsible to not have a will unless you literally have no assets anyone can fight over, or unless the idea of your heirs wasting your entire estate on lawyers fees secretly makes you happy, in which case grow up and give all your money to a charity...

Prince had major surgery (hip replacement in 2010) perhaps he filled out something then.
There is also a chance, that he had a will that did not include the sister, that was "lost"!

No will.

Hmmmmmmm.......

He and I were lovers (even though I am straight). And he promised me he would 'provide for me' when he passed on.

Chu ching.

Back
Top Bottom