• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Prime Minister Questions Time

Arch Enemy

Familiaist
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 27, 2005
Messages
7,470
Reaction score
2,085
Location
North Carolina
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Who watchs this show?

It's basically a weekly meeting between the Prime Minster and Parliament.. it's too funny.. they should so do this in America so we can really see how smart Bush is without his notes.

http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page306.asp

(go there if you wanna watch an episode online)
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Arch Enemy said:
Who watchs this show?

It's basically a weekly meeting between the Prime Minster and Parliament.. it's too funny.. they should so do this in America so we can really see how smart Bush is without his notes.

http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page306.asp

(go there if you wanna watch an episode online)
No kidding. This stuff is a hoot. We do need to do this here, but I'm afraid our American pols just don't have the wits for it. I've always loved watching this stuff on BBC.
 

GarzaUK

That European Guy
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
3,682
Reaction score
625
Location
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
PMQ is what makes British Politics interesting.

1. The leader of the country every week is questioned about his policies. Something the US NEEDS. In a pure democracy the leaders polcies should always be challeneged.

2. Plus politicans can poke fun at each other.

I love British politics. I watched Congress once. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
 

Plain old me

Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
228
Reaction score
1
Location
United Kingdom
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
GarzaUK said:
PMQ is what makes British Politics interesting.
Yeah, but now Cameron wants to take it away.

PMQ's is pretty good, and its nice to see politicians get at each others throats face to face now and again.
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
GarzaUK said:
I love British politics. I watched Congress once. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
No kidding, man, like watching grass grow.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
 

Arch Enemy

Familiaist
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 27, 2005
Messages
7,470
Reaction score
2,085
Location
North Carolina
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
mixedmedia said:
No kidding, man, like watching grass grow.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
or paint dry.


If this Cameron guy gets this show tooken away, I am going to become a politican just the reinstate this show. It's amazing, really shows you how smart your leader is... Blair rocks that show.. simply amazing.
 

Plain old me

Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
228
Reaction score
1
Location
United Kingdom
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Arch Enemy said:
If this Cameron guy gets this show tooken away, I am going to become a politican just the reinstate this show. It's amazing, really shows you how smart your leader is... Blair rocks that show.. simply amazing.
He is good at the arguing, but Cameron won't get it removed, it'll all be polite and less shouty if he has his way, but thats the only thing that makes it interesting.
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Plain old me said:
He is good at the arguing, but Cameron won't get it removed, it'll all be polite and less shouty if he has his way, but thats the only thing that makes it interesting.
Polite and less shouty would be a real shame. You can tell that they are enjoying themselves and it probably lessens the pressure on them to be able to let loose the way they do. It would be a damn shame...and probably counterproductive.
 

Plain old me

Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
228
Reaction score
1
Location
United Kingdom
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Not that its terribly productive the way it is...all the Government MP's questions are sommit along the lines of 'We're great, arn't we Prime Minister?' But it is nice when they come close to a full scale punch up.:mrgreen:
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Plain old me said:
Not that its terribly productive the way it is...all the Government MP's questions are sommit along the lines of 'We're great, arn't we Prime Minister?' But it is nice when they come close to a full scale punch up.:mrgreen:
Yeah, I see your point, but it seems being able to vent a little in that way would be healthy for when it does come time to be productive. Of course, being productive isn't a strong suit of any politician anywhere, lol. It all seems good natured for the most part though. I don't know if you've ever seen the Frank Capra movie Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, but I would like to think our pols would have a little of that spirit.
But no, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........
 

Arch Enemy

Familiaist
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 27, 2005
Messages
7,470
Reaction score
2,085
Location
North Carolina
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
good movie Mixed!


I think that this show also helps weed out those who are true about leadership. I am sure each candidate has to be really wanting to be Prime Minister to take on congress on World (sort of) television, I personally couldn't handle that.

And I do think it does ease the stress. I mean, it is said that even in Valhalla (place where people are killing each other over and over again, preparing for a final show-down.. where they KNOW they're going to die forever) they shout and be merry in the meadhall.
 
H

hipsterdufus

Arch Enemy said:
Who watchs this show?

It's basically a weekly meeting between the Prime Minster and Parliament.. it's too funny.. they should so do this in America so we can really see how smart Bush is without his notes.

http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page306.asp

(go there if you wanna watch an episode online)
I LOVE this show and watch it whenever I can.
Last week the US was being questioned for "Rendition" and our continued support of the Death Penalty.

Can you imagine Bush in this kind of setting?
 

Arch Enemy

Familiaist
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 27, 2005
Messages
7,470
Reaction score
2,085
Location
North Carolina
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
hipsterdufus said:
I LOVE this show and watch it whenever I can.
Last week the US was being questioned for "Rendition" and our continued support of the Death Penalty.

Can you imagine Bush in this kind of setting?
He'd be utterly destroyed, he couldn't possibly do well.

Same for alot of our Presidents.
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Arch Enemy said:
He'd be utterly destroyed, he couldn't possibly do well.

Same for alot of our Presidents.
Can't help but get a perverse thrill at the thought of it though. :mrgreen:
 

Arch Enemy

Familiaist
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 27, 2005
Messages
7,470
Reaction score
2,085
Location
North Carolina
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I know what you mean.


They should have a score board, and on this score board it should tally the amount of logic fallacies commited by Bush inc.
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Arch Enemy said:
I know what you mean.


They should have a score board, and on this score board it should tally the amount of logic fallacies commited by Bush inc.

Right....and it'd have to be a real big scoreboard. I'd like to see each one of the major players in this administration take their turn in the hot seat, not just dubya. The only one that would come out on top, I think, would be Rumsfeld. He's a scrappy guy with a sense of humor. And even though he's not a key player, I'd like to see Scott McClellan in there, just for kicks, just because he annoys the hell out of me.
 

GarzaUK

That European Guy
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
3,682
Reaction score
625
Location
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
Just to let you know maybe why the House of Commons is so "spirited". It was announced in a paper today that British Memebers of Parliament consumed 250,000 pints of beer in the past 90 days in the Houses of Parliament bar.

Yeah you heard me, our Houses of Parliament has a bar!! :2razz: We Brits are way cooler lol.
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
GarzaUK said:
Just to let you know maybe why the House of Commons is so "spirited". It was announced in a paper today that British Memebers of Parliament consumed 250,000 pints of beer in the past 90 days in the Houses of Parliament bar.

Yeah you heard me, our Houses of Parliament has a bar!! :2razz: We Brits are way cooler lol.
Awwww, man. We suck. :mrgreen:
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
GarzaUK said:
Just to let you know maybe why the House of Commons is so "spirited". It was announced in a paper today that British Memebers of Parliament consumed 250,000 pints of beer in the past 90 days in the Houses of Parliament bar.

Yeah you heard me, our Houses of Parliament has a bar!! :2razz: We Brits are way cooler lol.
Big deal!...250,000 pints...

Ted Kennedy calls that Tuesday!...
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
cnredd said:
Big deal!...250,000 pints...

Ted Kennedy calls that Tuesday!...
Hey, who let the republican in here?
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
mixedmedia said:
Hey, who let the republican in here?
Woo!...Woo-Woo!...

I'm sorry...

Wrong song?...:doh
 
Top Bottom