• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Priest murdered, hostages taken during Mass at French church

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
PARIS – Two attackers reportedly shouted "Allahu Akbar" before slitting the throat of an 84-year-old priest [other reports say he was 86] and critically injuring at least one other person during a Tuesday morning terror attack on a church near the Normandy city of Rouen, officials said.

The terrorists, who French President Francois Hollande said had pledged their allegiance to ISIS, were later shot and killed by police. Priest murdered, hostages taken during Mass at French church | Fox News

One of the hostages, possibly a nun, is now clinging to life. Such courage it takes to attack a little child or an old man.

Renae

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
PARIS – Two attackers reportedly shouted "Allahu Akbar" before slitting the throat of an 84-year-old priest [other reports say he was 86] and critically injuring at least one other person during a Tuesday morning terror attack on a church near the Normandy city of Rouen, officials said.

The terrorists, who French President Francois Hollande said had pledged their allegiance to ISIS, were later shot and killed by police. Priest murdered, hostages taken during Mass at French church | Fox News

One of the hostages, possibly a nun, is now clinging to life. Such courage it takes to attack a little child or an old man.

That is... heinous to the nth degree.

Samhain

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
The worst part is that one of the attackers had an ankle bracelet to monitor his movement because he was stopped last year trying to join ISIS in Syria. He was allowed non-monitored movement for 4 hours a day. Want to take a guess when he attacked the church?

tres borrachos

HoHoHo
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

I'm sorry the perps were shot. They deserved to be hanged, drawn and quartered in the square in front of Notre Dame.

Killing an old man and an unarmed nun. How brave. They probably spent the morning abusing puppies.

My youngest wants to go on a school trip to France next year. I'm seriously reconsidering allowing that. France is starting to resemble Palestine.

apdst

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Too bad we'll never know their real motive.

Erod

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
And the Democrats didn't mention ISIS once last night at the convention because that's too "scary".

longview

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The French are a very tolerant and patient people, but the tolerance and patients does have limits.

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I'm sorry the perps were shot. They deserved to be hanged, drawn and quartered in the square in front of Notre Dame.

Killing an old man and an unarmed nun. How brave. They probably spent the morning abusing puppies.

My youngest wants to go on a school trip to France next year. I'm seriously reconsidering allowing that. France is starting to resemble Palestine.

President Hollande said back in November that France is at war with ISIS. No place is guaranteed safe these days, but France does seem to me to be under attack. 'France is at war,' Francois Hollande says - CNN.com

d0gbreath

Yellow Dog Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
Anyone else notice that minarets look like the serious end of a wasp?

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
And the Democrats didn't mention ISIS once last night at the convention because that's too "scary".

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I think people want to hear what the Party has to say about terrorism.

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
The worst part is that one of the attackers had an ankle bracelet to monitor his movement because he was stopped last year trying to join ISIS in Syria. He was allowed non-monitored movement for 4 hours a day. Want to take a guess when he attacked the church?

I had to read that twice. The French really are something. Aren't they?

apdst

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I think people want to hear what the Party has to say about terrorism.

How can you talk about terrorism without identifying the terrorists?

Erod

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

Nope, too scary. Only Republicans talk about serious, scary stuff. Democrats just like to party for free.

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
According to the Daily Mail:

One, who lived close to the church, is said to have left for Syria in 2015 to try and join ISIS, but he was arrested in Turkey.

He was jailed for terrorist offences following a short trial in France, before being released on March 2 this year. Bail conditions included returning to live with his parents, wearing an electronic tag, and reporting to his local police station. Neither of the Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray attackers have yet been named.

French security services have been regularly criticised for the way they allow known terrorists their freedom after being found guilty of crimes.

ISIS knifemen film themselves murdering French priest in Normandy attack | Daily Mail Online

PerfectStorm

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

No, no.

That topic would make the convention too dark.

PerfectStorm

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
According to the Daily Mail:

One, who lived close to the church, is said to have left for Syria in 2015 to try and join ISIS, but he was arrested in Turkey.

He was jailed for terrorist offences following a short trial in France, before being released on March 2 this year. Bail conditions included returning to live with his parents, wearing an electronic tag, and reporting to his local police station. Neither of the Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray attackers have yet been named.

French security services have been regularly criticised for the way they allow known terrorists their freedom after being found guilty of crimes.

ISIS knifemen film themselves murdering French priest in Normandy attack | Daily Mail Online

Sounds like the whole country of France is a sanctuary city.

cabse5

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Anyone else notice that minarets look like the serious end of a wasp?
My impersonation of iamyoda: You might be taking unnecessary risks, I would say....For your own sake, please don't attempt to draw one, comically.

Last edited:

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
The French would pander to malignant cancer.

Yeah, they don't exactly have a good history on that. Do they?

Top Cat

He's the most tip top
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

I would guess it gets mentioned today.

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I had to read that twice. The French really are something. Aren't they?

I joke about the French doing that surrender thing a lot, but to tell you the truth, the French underground kicked some serious German ass during WWII. And the French responded to the last attack on them by bombing the bejesus out of ISIS, and killing hordes of them. Expect the French to take no prisoners again. ISIS will eventually learn that, for each Frenchman killed, 100 ISIS will die. And, if you do the math, ISIS will be extinct long before they have done any really serious damage to France.

Top Bottom