• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Price gouging is good

Simpletruther

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

This is an emotional topic. I have myself been judgemental of price gougers.
I know this will never sink in to most, but maybe there are a few here willing to put all bias aside and thing with complete rationality here.

Someone charges 50 bucks for a cheap flashlight during a hurricane and people call him evil. Some of Those same hypocrites would gladly offer 50 bucks if they were stuck in that situation. Then turn around and call the person immoral that complied with his request and sold it. Pathetic.

If we allowed price gouging it would be a net benefit to society. It increases supply, and sometimes when it's life and death, when you really need supply.

Oh but it's easier to not think, but emotionally let people die and feel good about ourselves pointing at that nasty price gouger, how we ran him out of town (then oops a storm hit and people died from lack of product).

If you think someone is trying to price gouge you tell them to F/O and go to to WalMart or Amazon and get it cheaper. Problem solved, how easy was that?

I know this will never sink in to most, but maybe there are a few here willing to put all bias aside and thing with complete rationality here.

Someone charges 50 bucks for a cheap flashlight during a hurricane and people call him evil. Some of Those same hypocrites would gladly offer 50 bucks if they were stuck in that situation. Then turn around and call the person immoral that complied with his request and sold it. Pathetic.

If we allowed price gouging it would be a net benefit to society. It increases supply, and sometimes when it's life and death, when you really need supply.

Oh but it's easier to not think, but emotionally let people die and feel good about ourselves pointing at that nasty price gouger, how we ran him out of town (then oops a storm hit and people died from lack of product).
Profiting on war and suffering is immoral and wrong. Nothing could send a worse message than your opinion. String the price gougers up.

Profiting on war and suffering is immoral and wrong. Nothing could send a worse message than your opinion. String the price gougers up.
A rigorous intellectual effort there. The logic and reasoning.....flawless. kudos

Price gougers are scumbags, especially during a disaster.
Another rigorous intellectual effort there. The logic and reasoning.....flawless. kudos to you as well.

For the economic reasons you mention, price gouging should of course be legal.

For the moral reasons everyone is familiar with, we should recognize that (generally) it's a pretty scummy person who doesn't need certain goods while their neighbours are in desperate need and instead of giving it to them for free or at a normal price tries to make big bucks off their misery.

For exactly the same reasons, we should recognize that pretty much all of us are kinda scummy people towards our global neighbours, hoarding and luxuriating in far more wealth and material goods than we need while hundreds of millions suffer malnutrition, exposure, disease and death. So, logs in our own eyes and all that.

For the economic reasons you mention, price gouging should of course be legal.

For the moral reasons everyone is familiar with, we should recognize that (generally) it's a pretty scummy person who doesn't need certain goods while their neighbours are in desperate need and instead of giving it to them for free or at a normal price tries to make big bucks off their misery.

It's generally never an issue for neighbors. This is about a business model. Someone who stocks up on flashlights to sell during a power outage etc

If you think someone is trying to price gouge you tell them to F/O and go to to WalMart or Amazon and get it cheaper. Problem solved, how easy was that?
Neither Wal-Mart nor Amazon are necessarily cheaper ............ they just say they are so often shoppers come to believe it.

This is the problem with unrestrained capitalism that only sees profits as a goal. A corporation that is driven to serve the shareholders cannot be permitted to set public policy or determine what is moral.

That’s hard to do with oil and gas, and that’s what the petroleum industry is doing. The price increases at the pump have been hugely profitable for them. Unregulated capitalism is great, ain’t it?

This is the problem with unrestrained capitalism that only sees profits as a goal. A corporation that is driven to serve the shareholders cannot be permitted to set public policy or determine what is moral.
Not the topic though. Price gouging is good, it brings a net benefit to society.

I've seen some things on the benefits of "gouging". In theory it reduces hoarding; the theory being that people will by what they need but won't overbuy, resulting in more people obtaining the scarce item. And of course the retailer may be at the mercy of up line sellers. It's not as simple an issue as some would believe.

I've seen some things on the benefits of "gouging". In theory it reduces hoarding; the theory being that people will by what they need but won't overbuy, resulting in more people obtaining the scarce item. And of course the retailer may be at the mercy of up line sellers. It's not as simple an issue as some would believe.
There are multiple ways it can be beneficial.

If gougers are allowed to make a profit during a hurricane, guess what happens during the next hurricane. More gougers will be out there selling flash lights, increasing supply and driving prices down.

More people now have access now to much needed emergency supplies at now lower prices than before. It's a win win.

Is there any issue that you are not on the wrong side of?

Praise for price gougers? ****in’ stupid.

The “problem” occurs when needed items are in limited supply and some asshole wants you to pay 10 x the item’s value.

There are multiple ways it can be beneficial.

If gougers are allowed to make a profit during a hurricane, guess what happens during the next hurricane. More gougers will be out there selling flash lights, increasing supply and driving prices down.

More people now have access now to much needed emergency supplies at now lower prices than before. It's a win win.
Well, maybe that would happen.

Is there any issue that you are not on the wrong side of?

Praise for price gougers? ****in’ stupid.
Yet another rigorous intellectual effort there from the left. The rebuttal...impeccable.
The logic and reasoning.....flawless. kudos to you

Does this profiting from war also apply to political outcomes (which unfortunately suck for Biden and Harris)?

Well, maybe that would happen.
It's basically inevitable. The Word gets out of sky high profits, others join in searching for this easy money. But then it gets harder to make the easy money, competition.

Yet another rigorous intellectual effort there from the left. The rebuttal...impeccable.
The logic and reasoning.....flawless. kudos to you
😄 If disagreeing with any of your idiocy is wrong, I don’t ever want to be right.

The example of the Uber business model should help anyone understand this ussue more if one really cares to have the right view instead of maintaining the "tribal" view.

Back
Top Bottom