• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Presidents Debt in a graph

Robertinfremont

Photo of me taken in the Army 1963
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I believe it is fair of me to believe this Graph will be discussed without me having to ask you to discuss it.

My points to be made is this is the Graph from the Treasury Department.

So shall we make a big deal out of any of this?

5c6c5a762628986c5e55def3

I believe it is fair of me to believe this Graph will be discussed without me having to ask you to discuss it.

5c6c5a762628986c5e55def3

Useless and cherry picked dates. Why not just present total national debt increase per year in office?

Useless and cherry picked dates. Why not just present total national debt increase per year in office?
That's a good way of looking at it. Debt as a percent of GDP is most useful imo. When Trump took over the highest the debt had been was was 104.96 of GDP. By Q2 of 2020 it had skyrocketed to 135% of GDP.

That's a good way of looking at it. Debt as a percent of GDP is most useful imo. When Trump took over the highest the debt had been was was 104.96 of GDP. By Q2 of 2020 it had skyrocketed to 135% of GDP.

While that is interesting, it is not very useful. Obviously, the last (or later) POTUS will look worse as the national debt continues to grow (relative to what is not that useful).

5c6c5a762628986c5e55def3
Without a link to the graph I have a question. There is an asterisk "*" by the Trump number. What is the "*" comment.?

No, as always Presidents, dont borrow money. The United States does, with the authorization of congress. The President spends with the authorization of congress. And most spending is on auto pilot, authorized by congresses decades ago. So a simple graph that says debt accumulated by President is misleading at best.

In 2019 for example, 2.8 trillion of spending was mandatory. Compared to 1.3 trillion in discretionary. And 400bn in interest from previous debt. We only collect 3.4 trillion in taxes so nearly every single dollar goes to social security, healthcare, welfare, interest.

I say spend like crazy and hand the bill to our children and grand children. I am ready for more checks from the government and lets just print more money. Open the borders let a few billion people in and turn this country into the exact place these people are running tail between their legs from. Why solve your problems when you can either let someone else solve them and pay for them.

I say spend like crazy and hand the bill to our children and grand children. I am ready for more checks from the government and lets just print more money. Open the borders let a few billion people in and turn this country into the exact place these people are running tail between their legs from. Why solve your problems when you can either let someone else solve them and pay for them.

You've certainly been conditioned to fall prey to for fear mongering.

More than that, while the president might present the budget to congress they are the ones that actually decide what will be spent. The president can then choose to sign off on it or not.

More than that, while the president might present the budget to congress they are the ones that actually decide what will be spent. The president can then choose to sign off on it or not.

Is it not possible for the POTUS (or more specifically the executive departments, agencies or programs under their control) to simply not spend what congress had allocated to them? After all, just because I have a credit card with a $5K limit does not compel me to max out the credit card.

Is it not possible for the POTUS (or more specifically the executive departments, agencies or programs under their control) to simply not spend what congress had allocated to them? After all, just because I have a credit card with a $5K limit does not compel me to max out the credit card.
Well, you don't have the ability to tax people so that you can pay your card. If you could spend whatever you want and make someone else pay for it then your spending habits might be a little more liberal!

Well, you don't have the ability to tax people so that you can pay your card. If you could spend whatever you want and make someone else pay for it then your spending habits might be a little more liberal!

Yep, that’s a fact.

yes, we should make a big deal out it. The first big deal is it not from the Treasury Dept. The second is its using the made up "debt by inauguration day" metric. the treasury doesnt use that. They use Fiscal Year budgets.

09/30/2017___20,244,900,016,053.51 ____ end of President Obama's last budget

09/30/2009 __ 11,909,829,003,511.75____ end of Bush’s last budget

09/30/2001 __ 5,807,463,412,200.06____FY 2002 start of Bush’s first budget

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/pd/histdebt/histdebt_histo5.htm

As you can see more debt was added under President Obama than bush but remember bush was handed a surplus and President Obama was handed the massive trillion dollar Bush Deficits (yes, they have a name) and the Great Bush Recession. the CBO revised Bush's last budget deficit to 1.2 trillion before President Obama took over.

The Budget and Economic Outlook: Fiscal Years 2009 to 2019 (cbo.gov)

And here's fellow obedient conservative Bullseye confirming the massive trillion dollar Bush Deficits (yes, they have a name) started before President Obama was inaugurated.

Oh, by the way, Vern - your CBO “proof” was produced in January of 2009 - just as Obama was taking over. Thanks for supporting MY point. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
yes, we should make a big deal out it. The first big deal is it not from the Treasury Dept. The second is its using the made up "debt by inauguration day" metric. the treasury doesnt use that. They use Fiscal Year budgets.

09/30/2017___20,244,900,016,053.51 ____ end of President Obama's last budget

09/30/2009 __ 11,909,829,003,511.75____ end of Bush’s last budget

09/30/2001 __ 5,807,463,412,200.06____FY 2002 start of Bush’s first budget

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/pd/histdebt/histdebt_histo5.htm

As you can see more debt was added under President Obama than bush but remember bush was handed a surplus and President Obama was handed the massive trillion dollar Bush Deficits (yes, they have a name) and the Great Bush Recession. the CBO revised Bush's last budget deficit to 1.2 trillion before President Obama took over.

The Budget and Economic Outlook: Fiscal Years 2009 to 2019 (cbo.gov)

And here's fellow obedient conservative Bullseye confirming the massive trillion dollar Bush Deficits (yes, they have a name) started before President Obama was inaugurated.
Still blathering the same old nonsense, eh, Vern. You still don’t seem to grasp the difference between a beginning of the year Budget (passed by Congress and signed by the President and the end of the year accounting the ACTUAL spending and revenues that occured during the fiscal year.

The whole issue is a political football used by both sides to either sling mud or give away dough to interests they care about. There are also definitely force majuere situations. For Bush 2, it was 9-11. For Obama, it was the financial collapse, for Trump it was Covid. So to me the real question is what did they spend that money on? Bush 2 spent it on a lie about Iraq. Obama spent it to prevent a depression. Trump spent it on tax breaks for himself.

Still blathering the same old nonsense, eh, Vern. You still don’t seem to grasp the difference between a beginning of the year Budget (passed by Congress and signed by the President and the end of the year accounting the ACTUAL spending and revenues that occured during the fiscal year.
mmmmm, thats odd. You admitted (in your special conservative way) that President Obama did indeed inherit the massive trillion dollar Bush Deficits (yes, they have a name). I'm not sure what point you're trying to make (in your special conservative way) in this latest blather. You seem to understand the basic facts but seem incapable of using those facts to make a coherent point. Lets break it down. Here you seem to understand what a fiscal year is
The budget went into effect October 1, 2008.

here you seem to grasp the concept that Bush's last budget deficit was revised in January before President Obama took over.

Oh, by the way, Vern - your CBO “proof” was produced in January of 2009 - just as Obama was taking over. Thanks for supporting MY point. :ROFLMAO:

Sure, you're doing that dishonest thing all conservatives do and pretend to not understand and your silly " just as Obama was taking over" was the best you could do/spew. Jan 9 is before President Obama took over now matter how big a tantrum you throw. Now read this part slowly, President Obama's now laughably small stimulus was not included in the Budget Outlook revision of bush's last budget.

As required by the Budget Act, CBO regularly publishes projections of budgetary and economic outcomes that are based on the assumption that current laws about federal spending and revenues will generally remain in place.

Products | Congressional Budget Office (cbo.gov)

Remember BE, stomping your feet and whining about me doesnt change the facts.

Total Public debt the day Obama took office was $10.627 trillion.

After 8 years, Trump took over and was elected POTUS.

Total public debt the day Trump took office was $19.960 trillion

After 4 years, Biden took over and was elected POTUS.

Total Public debt the day Biden took office was $27.752 trillion

I'm going to leave the calculations for those who are interested.

Source

5c6c5a762628986c5e55def3
You need to learn percentages. It's the only accurate measurement.

960x0.jpg

hey bob, where'd you go? I responded to your falsehoods. I wouldnt normally make a big deal out of it because it happens so much. Conservatives just cant bring themselves to be honest. But when conservatives constantly post lies then cut and run from the facts, it indicates a trend and I think the trend is a big deal. Why not be the first conservative to admit you've once again posted falsehoods out of some deluded obedience to conservatism. Now that would be a big deal.

5c6c5a762628986c5e55def3
So Trump accumulated almost as much debt in one term as Obama did in two, and Obama was trying to recover from the financial meltdown of 2007-08?

Thanks for pointing that out.

So Trump accumulated almost as much debt in one term as Obama did in two, and Obama was trying to recover from the financial meltdown of 2007-08?

Thanks for pointing that out.
Obama mentioned that as a very tiny recession.

Back
Top Bottom