• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Presidential Proclamation--Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month

So to be "Legit" we gotta have a Pride Month. Great, I'll Pencil July in as "Caucasian Pride Month".

July? We should totally get December. Then we can have a "White Christmas." ;-)

Ya then all the other months are like opening acts for the main show

If Redress can play the victim card... why can't I play the "It's a Deviant Lifestyle" card? Hmmm? What makes his card better then mine? Because you too feel guilty?
Redress is not my child, spouse, or charge and I am not responsible for what he says. If you want to know why he said something in particular, ask him, not me.

I don't CARE who you are.
You dont seem to care who ANYONE is.

So to be "Legit" we gotta have a Pride Month. Great, I'll Pencil July in as "Caucasian Pride Month".
When Caucasians have to deal with the same kind of crap gays and blacks have had to, I'd get behind that idea.

Yes, because that's what we're all about, treating them like second class citizens, but whoa, got a Pride Month now, now they got Creds Dog.
I know this might be news, but treating people like crap is not ok.

Perpetual Victim Status? Check.
Special Month to Lament "Horrible past"? Check.
Doing anything Constructive aside being set apart from society... nope.
Look, if you're sticking around to troll, say so now so I dont waste my time.

And for the record, my stance on the whole gay thing?

You want to be treated as a normal part of society, act like a normal part of society. The rest of us don't parade our straightness in rallies, we don't chant "We're Here, we're straight and we're not going away!" (Fill in the blanks). Normal parts of society don't DEMAND to be treated as normal, they just do it. They filter in, and don't demand society change for them.
Actually we do parade our "straightness" around. There was a lecturer a while back who addressed this point, he mentioned that the statement "Your father and I" conveys that the woman speaking it is not only heterosexual, but has admitted to having had heterosexual sex atleast once. Heterosexual people frequently discuss their wives, girlfriends, husbands, boyfriends, whatever and that doesnt strike you as flaunting your sexuality?

Heterosexual people "flaunt" their sexuality all the time, it's just more socially acceptable when we do it :)

When Caucasians have to deal with the same kind of crap gays and blacks have had to, I'd get behind that idea.

So you have to be a victim to be a legitimate part of society?

Actually we do parade our "straightness" around. There was a lecturer a while back who addressed this point, he mentioned that the statement "Your father and I" conveys that the woman speaking it is not only heterosexual, but has admitted to having had heterosexual sex atleast once. Heterosexual people frequently discuss their wives, girlfriends, husbands, boyfriends, whatever and that doesnt strike you as flaunting your sexuality?

That doesn't strike me as flaunting my sexuality. I do not think anyone has implied that speaking casually of a same sex partner is flaunting one's sexuality. If a man says "my boyfriend took me out to dinner yesterday," that is more comparable to your example and clearly isn't flaunting his homosexuality. To flaunt properly requires making a spectacle. There are plenty of gays that do in fact make a spectacle of their sexuality. There are more than a few straight people who make a spectacle of their sexuality as well. I find it tasteless in either event.

Heterosexual people "flaunt" their sexuality all the time, it's just more socially acceptable when we do it

I disagree with the latter portion. When straight guys say things like "Damn, look at that fine piece of ass! I'd fu(k that forward upside down and sideways!" Or make any other such spectacle of their sexuality, it is still not socially acceptable.

So you have to be a victim to be a legitimate part of society?
Never said that.

That doesn't strike me as flaunting my sexuality. I do not think anyone has implied that speaking casually of a same sex partner is flaunting one's sexuality. If a man says "my boyfriend took me out to dinner yesterday," that is more comparable to your example and clearly isn't flaunting his homosexuality.
Except many people define something as simple as a man talking about his boyfriend to be flaunting his sexuality. Thankfully you seem to have enough common sense not to embrace this thought process, but there are many people who do take this sort of hypocritical stance.

I disagree with the latter portion. When straight guys say things like "Damn, look at that fine piece of ass! I'd fu(k that forward upside down and sideways!" Or make any other such spectacle of their sexuality, it is still not socially acceptable.
Not true at all. Watch any form of popular media or hang around with a bunch of "guys" guys and you'll see that attitudes that are borderline misogynistic are more acceptable than someone being gay.

A great example is James Bond. The very character is misogynistic and this not hidden in earlier films yet he is idolized by many as almost the very pinnacle of machismo and emulated by many. Do you think this attitude would be embraced the same way if Bond were gay?

I'm not homophobic, I'm making a point. But it's not an easily made one that tears at the heart strings and makes for a bumper sticker.

Redress, and I suppose yourself are all about a "pride Month" because... their VICTIMS! Do you realize how ****ing condescending that is?
People are people, there is no need for "Gay, Black, Asian, Hispanic etc...etc..." pride months. That's just white elitist trying to assuage their guilt and pretend they are doing something that matters.

Guess what, you ain't.

Keep building that strawman. When you want to have an honest discussion get back to me.

Keep building that strawman. When you want to have an honest discussion get back to me.

When you decide to ever be honest instead of emotionally driven, then perhaps you can use that line.

Till then, I suppose you can impress the bleeding hearts with your emotional stories, and your weak attempts at superiority.

HEre is some of what I'm talking about, things that are done just to piss on Society, the same society that they demand accept them as normal:

folsom-street-fair-last-supper.jpg

folsom_street_fair_gross_ad_covered_up.JPG

obama-sm.jpg

Because you misunderstand the notion of "colorblind". The law should be colorblind(which explains my distaste for hate crime laws by the way). There is nothing wrong with people taking pride in their ethnicity and origins, be they of Irish descent, or black, or gay. Some groups have had a particularly hard time within our lifetimes, and there is nothing wrong with pointing out that yes, you are OK, you can be proud of who you are. The goal is also to work towards not needing things like a gay pride month, that gay people will not need to have it pointed out that yes, you can take pride in what you are.

Once you delcare a month of some sort it will be there for a long, long time. It definitely does just as much harm as good. This is typical PC self-esteem building crap that legitimizes exaggerated victimhood. We have gay pride marches all the time in this country so people have plenty opportunity to take pride. We are more divided than ever in this country and this is just more divided and conquer politics.

Great, another stupid "pride" month for me to ignore. ****ing stupid.

I honestly wonder if things like this don't actually do more harm than good. The country is still rather split it seems on issues regarding gays and the embracing of it in our society. For example, you can't simply use gay marriage as a measuring stick as its entirely possible to believe that the government should not be stepping in and disallowing such a thing while at the same time not feeling that it should be actively taught in schools as a perfectly legitimate, completely normal life style that anyone could possibly have and we all should embrace as a wonderful thing.

Perhaps I'm thinking differently but if this goes the way of Black History Month, with schools starting to intigrate it into curriculum and ads running constantly on TV and Radio then I could actually see it potentially having the opposite effect then intended, forcing it into peoples faces and into the classrooms and causing a backlash against the acceptance. Not saying it'd definitely happen, but I'd see it as a 50/50 chance of it going good or bad and I don't think that's intelligent.

On the flip side, if it becomes like many "[blank] month" and "[blank] day" type instances where its technically such but basically becomes nothing more than random trivia for morning drive DJ's to state or people bored on Wiki to find out unless its actually something that affects them then I can't see anything really BAD about it or backlash that'd come in any significantly potential damaging way. If it happened like that then it'd simply provide an olive branch to the gay community and its supporters while perhaps planting a small seed that could grow at a point when the country as a whole is more ready for something larger to come forth.

Unfortunantly, too often I think the Gay momvent is compared to the Civil Rights movement in regards to blacks, looking only at the similarities while ignoring the differences. In ignoring said differences I think poor assumptions are made and the movement is done a general disservice. The religious issue involved presents a significant difference between the two. The unquestionable "born that way" with blacks is different to gays which many still see as "a choice" at worst and "unsure and could go either way for various people" at best. Homosexuals are not as tied directly into the fabric of our history as a society, both in part playing on guilty for ancesterial wrongs and providing pride in overcoming much of it, as blacks had been. There's been no transformational figure within the gay community in regards to their civil rights as there was with the likes of Martin Luther King Jr. for the black community. I think too often they're simply assumed to be and presented as analogs when, while there are definite similarities, they are not one in the same nor the twin movements as often presented.

These are the kind of moves that show you first hand that policians really don't know how to do anything constructive, so they make up stuff.

So basically, we are celebrating our pride in anal sex, cutting our genitalia off, and dressing in our mother's clothes?

I know that's crude, but what exactly are we celebrating here? Does this really require a month of pride?

I mean, do we find "national pride" in having sex with our wives and girlfriends? Not so much.

It's just stupid, and in my opinion, it cheapens more meaningful measures like Black History Month.

Last edited:
When you decide to ever be honest instead of emotionally driven, then perhaps you can use that line.

HEre is some of what I'm talking about, things that are done just to piss on Society, the same society that they demand accept them as normal:
Im sorry, did anyone else's irony meter just explode?

Im sorry, did anyone else's irony meter just explode?

Do you deny that this event is a huge public GLBT event held yearly in San Fran?

So how is it Ironic that I use it to make a point? I know what you're GOING to say, however you haven't much ground to stand on using that line.

Do you deny that this event is a huge public GLBT event held yearly in San Fran?
Yes, I do. Folsom is for the BDSM scene, not necessarily the gay scene. Hosting it in 'Frisco means there are A LOT of gay people around and your chances of getting a high gay turnout are higher. The target audience of the event is the BDSM scene, not the gay scene.

So how is it Ironic that I use it to make a point? I know what you're GOING to say, however you haven't much ground to stand on using that line.
You decry making points on emotion yet you expunge moral outrage at an event you cant even be bothered to do something as simple as read a Wikipedia page or punch it into Google.

Back
Top Bottom