• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Presidential elections. Will one person one vote ensure your vote is counted?

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Forty eight states have winner takes all electors as their system to award electors in our presidential voting. Why do we need electors? If fifty one percent of the citizens vote for mr. bad and forty nine percent vote for mr. good, the good votes are for all intents and purposes have been canceled like they never happened. If that doesn't cancel your vote, there is still another layer to go through, another opportunity to have your vote canceled by the electoral college itself.

One person, one vote literally means your vote could decide who becomes president, not the electors of your state, not the electoral college, YOU!

I am never afraid of my own vote not being counted. Voter fraud will continue to happen no matter what, but not on my ballot.

Forty eight states have winner takes all electors as their system to award electors in our presidential voting. Why do we need electors? If fifty one percent of the citizens vote for mr. bad and forty nine percent vote for mr. good, the good votes are for all intents and purposes have been canceled like they never happened. If that doesn't cancel your vote, there is still another layer to go through, another opportunity to have your vote canceled by the electoral college itself.

One person, one vote literally means your vote could decide who becomes president, not the electors of your state, not the electoral college, YOU!

Yep, such a system would likely allow the urban vote to decide every POTUS election, which is why demorats favor it and others do not.

I am never afraid of my own vote not being counted. Voter fraud will continue to happen no matter what, but not on my ballot.

It takes only one fraudulent vote to cancel (or double) yours. Whether you fear that (or not) doesn’t change that fact.

The Founding Fathers were really good at "checks and balances". Their process for Presidential elections is a good example. Our electoral system provides checks against majority rule and population imbalances.

btw, your "mr. bad" and "mr. good" are subjective labels. Not everyone shares your personal bias. So no "good votes" have been cancelled. ALL votes are counted.

I would be much more concerned if the United States had a history of the person who won a majority of votes not being elected president. But thankfully that's not the case.

I 100% support a democratic vote for president because in today's tie that's how it should be. The EC is severely outdated for today BUT that doesn't mean it has to be scrapped although I would support that.
Id be totally ok if ever state at least decided its ECs up to as close as a ROUNDED DOWN percentage for the lesser candidate (vote wise) as it could. I saw close because many states only have 3 or 4 ECs. So it would have to be a rounded down system and in a stare where others only 3 ECs wouldn't couldn't very well give one EC to a candidate unless they hit 33% or that would be rounding up.

In that system, a state like mine, PA where President Biden got 3,459,923 50% of the vote and Donnie got 3,378,263 votes, 48% of the votes BUT all 20 ECs went to president Biden.

I would be totally fine if that wasn't the case and 10 ECs went to Biden and 9 ECs went to Donnie and 1 went to an independent IF that worked out math wise or 11 for biden and 9 for Donnie.
that would be better system

Same with our big states like California and Texas..
in cali instead of all 55 going to President Biden, it would make sense if 36 went to Biden and 19 went to Donnie
in texas instead of all 38 going to Donnie it would make sense if 2went to Donnie and 18 went to Biden

Why would anybody be against that. Every other election is done straight up and we don't live in times where to get messages to Washington could take a month or longer lol

Yep, such a system would likely allow the urban vote to decide every POTUS election, which is why demorats favor it and others do not.
Would likely allow? Is that written in stone? Maybe if the gop had some ideas to help the average person instead of alienating them, you would get more votes and this is nothing that hasn't been said a hundred times. What's the platform going to be for the folks on the right come primary time? Hate the dems, own the libs, and no trans people in sports. That part is really impiortant.

The Founding Fathers were really good at "checks and balances". Their process for Presidential elections is a good example. Our electoral system provides checks against majority rule and population imbalances.

btw, your "mr. bad" and "mr. good" are subjective labels. Not everyone shares your personal bias. So no "good votes" have been cancelled. ALL votes are counted.
Lol, except for 2020, remember, the election that was stolen from trump, then they're not all counted. You guys make me laugh, forked tongue and all.

Lol, except for 2020, remember, the election that was stolen from trump, then they're not all counted. You guys make me laugh, forked tongue and all.
Nah...the problem in 2020 wasn't that they weren't all counted. The problem was that TOO MANY were counted. You know, stuffed ballot boxes, after midnight ballot drops at the counting centers, etc.

I 100% support a democratic vote for president because in today's tie that's how it should be. The EC is severely outdated for today BUT that doesn't mean it has to be scrapped although I would support that.
Id be totally ok if ever state at least decided its ECs up to as close as a ROUNDED DOWN percentage for the lesser candidate (vote wise) as it could. I saw close because many states only have 3 or 4 ECs. So it would have to be a rounded down system and in a stare where others only 3 ECs wouldn't couldn't very well give one EC to a candidate unless they hit 33% or that would be rounding up.

In that system, a state like mine, PA where President Biden got 3,459,923 50% of the vote and Donnie got 3,378,263 votes, 48% of the votes BUT all 20 ECs went to president Biden.

I would be totally fine if that wasn't the case and 10 ECs went to Biden and 9 ECs went to Donnie and 1 went to an independent IF that worked out math wise or 11 for biden and 9 for Donnie.
that would be better system

Same with our big states like California and Texas..
in cali instead of all 55 going to President Biden, it would make sense if 36 went to Biden and 19 went to Donnie
in texas instead of all 38 going to Donnie it would make sense if 2went to Donnie and 18 went to Biden

Why would anybody be against that. Every other election is done straight up and we don't live in times where to get messages to Washington could take a month or longer lol
'Anyone' would be against that for fear of losing, winner take all states give the gop a distinct advantage in canceling blue votes since there are so many states that go red.

So you do not believe in majority rule, or that rural votes should count more than urban votes? The idea that the party in control of a state government should decide who the president or Senator is in this country sounds like Russia.

Nah...the problem in 2020 wasn't that they weren't all counted. The problem was that TOO MANY were counted. You know, stuffed ballot boxes, after midnight ballot drops at the counting centers, etc.
Ah, let us have some proof here. We had heard all of this garbage before and yet no damn proof. I an say that the midnight ballot drops were all for GOP candidates as the only real fraud I have seen reported was by GOPers voting more than once or for a dead relative.

Do you ever get tired from speaking out of both sides of your mouth with that forked tongue of yours? Why aren't you in politics?

sounds good to me.......

Why the Electoral College is the absolute worst, explained - Vox​

https://www.vox.com › policy-and-politics › 2016/11

Dec 19, 2016 — Hillary Clinton won more votes than Donald Trump in last month's presidential election. But due to the magic of the Electoral College, ...

Why on earth do we even have an electoral college anyway?​

https://www.washingtonpost.com › news › 2016/11/08

Nov 8, 2016 — You don't need 50,546,180 votes to be president — you need 270. The electoral college will determine the winner of the presidential election ...

Back
Top Bottom