• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Presidential Debate #1 (September 29, 2020)

Both times you asked a question you purposely phrased them as if you thought Trump wouldn't know the answers but Biden would. When you show your bias you can't be taken seriously. I actually don't think Biden would know the answers to either one of the questions you asked and yet your role playing game acted as if you thought Biden would be able to answer them. Personally, I don't care if any nominee could answer your stupid questions. Running the country is more important than answering those two stupid questions. With everything going on in the world, those are the questions you would ask?

It isn't my bias. It is my evaluation. From what I have seen, Biden has a much better knowledge of the issues, the facts, the law, and the constitution.

The first question I selected because I found it frightening that President Trump, the man with the nuclear codes, didn't know what the nuclear triad was.
If you are right, and Biden still doesn't know what the nuclear triad is after serving as Vice President for 8 years, I would be equally concerned. I just don't think that is true though. I am quite certain that at some point during his 47 year political career, Joe Biden was introduced to the concept of the nuclear triad.

The second question was your selection. I was just demonstrating how it might be altered to test the candidate's knowledge, rather than just invite more rehearsed partisan talking points. I've already heard all the talking points on both sides. I want to see who actually knows their stuff.

Sure, he is great at firing up his base. Lots of people would murder their own mother if it would make a liberal cry. So naturally they vote for the guy that the liberals like the least. He doesn't have any actual knowledge though, and if pressed for facts rather than given a platform to further fire up his base, his ignorance would be readily apparent to even more people.
What's going to be truly sad is Joe "You know, that thing" Biden debating President Trump. Jill won't be there to bail him out.

Speaking of actual knowledge, I see none in your post.

Better yet, have them play a game of Jeopardy. Categories include the Constitution, US history, the Supreme Court, COVID-19, and world geography.

200.gif

It isn't my bias. It is my evaluation. From what I have seen, Biden has a much better knowledge of the issues, the facts, the law, and the constitution.

The first question I selected because I found it frightening that President Trump, the man with the nuclear codes, didn't know what the nuclear triad was.
If you are right, and Biden still doesn't know what the nuclear triad is after serving as Vice President for 8 years, I would be equally concerned. I just don't think that is true though. I am quite certain that at some point during his 47 year political career, Joe Biden was introduced to the concept of the nuclear triad.

The second question was your selection. I was just demonstrating how it might be altered to test the candidate's knowledge, rather than just invite more rehearsed partisan talking points. I've already heard all the talking points on both sides. I want to see who actually knows their stuff.
Your evaluation is biased. My evaluation is that neither could answer your two questions. My evaluation is also that I couldn't give a damn if either one could answer those two questions. The most important thing is the direction of our country, not how smart they are. If Albert Einstein was the Democratic nominee I would still prefer Trump to lead the country because the Democratic party is too far left.

IMO, it would be setting an elevated tone if Chris Wallace opened requesting a statement from each candidate. For instance:

In your own words, describe what democracy means to you and what you'd do as President to further it.

Ya think?

Then, definitely it'll be game over for Biden! :LOL:

Your evaluation is biased. My evaluation is that neither could answer your two questions. My evaluation is also that I couldn't give a damn if either one could answer those two questions. The most important thing is the direction of our country, not how smart they are. If Albert Einstein was the Democratic nominee I would still prefer Trump to lead the country because the Democratic party is too far left.

It is just astonishing to me that you honestly don't care whether or not the Commander in Chief knows anything at all about our nuclear program beyond how big the button on his desk is. You are honestly not concerned at all about the POTUS having no knowledge of anything? You bring up the constitutional provision for Supreme Court confirmation, but have no interest in whether the President has ever even read the constitution as long as the team with the red jerseys can score a goal?

Biden might not be able to name which exact clause provided for Supreme Court nominations and confirmations. I'm pretty sure he would have know it was in Article II though. He definitely would have known the three basic components of our nuclear program, which Trump definitely didn't. If you don't care about knowledge, competence, or ability to reason in a President, then there isn't much more to discuss. I think there are traits to consider other than which team they are on.

Wallace just needs to ask each candidate what they would do , if elected, for the next four years......

It is just astonishing to me that you honestly don't care whether or not the Commander in Chief knows anything at all about our nuclear program beyond how big the button on his desk is. You are honestly not concerned at all about the POTUS having no knowledge of anything? You bring up the constitutional provision for Supreme Court confirmation, but have no interest in whether the President has ever even read the constitution as long as the team with the red jerseys can score a goal?

Biden might not be able to name which exact clause provided for Supreme Court nominations and confirmations. I'm pretty sure he would have know it was in Article II though. He definitely would have known the three basic components of our nuclear program, which Trump definitely didn't. If you don't care about knowledge, competence, or ability to reason in a President, then there isn't much more to discuss. I think there are traits to consider other than which team they are on.
No president has knowledge about everything. That's why there are so many people in administrations and government.

President Trump is not all that bad a debater. To get to Hillary, he participated in debates with 20 or so other candidates, and he's the one that lives at 1600 Penn.

Or, alternatively, the debates are not that important. It's possible that most people have already made up their minds.

There was never a Republican debate in 2016 with 20 candidates.

No president has knowledge about everything. That's why there are so many people in administrations and government.

Trump is the know-nothingest to ever set foot in the Oval Office!

Reagan, when asked how he could sleep during cabinet meetings, responded with if I couldn't sleep during cabinet meetings I selected the wrong cabinet members.

That applies to any President.

My evaluation is it doesn't matter if the president knows the correct term or not. What matters is the president knows what button to push.

You might want to leave it at checkers, doubt chess is in trumps skillset,
I do not know whether Trump plays chess or not. However chess is a game of strategy. Trump has clearly proven himself as an effective strategist, both domestically and internationally. If he does play chess, my bet is that he is good at it. I would not wildly assume that it's not in his skillset. Anyone can learn to play chess. Not everyone is good at it.

But there is one President who has hardly any knowledge about anything, and who ignores what the many people in administrations and government tell him, because he thinks he has knowledge about everything. And that is a big problem.

The best part of a debate focused on testing a candidate's knowledge would not be all the times that Biden's knowledge and experience prevailed. It would be the few times that Biden says "I don't know. I need to learn more about that." That would be a refreshing display of self-awareness that highlights a key reason that Biden would make a better President.

My evaluation is it doesn't matter if the president knows the correct term or not. What matters is the president knows what button to push.

You are literally saying that it doesn't matter whether the President understands what will happen when he pushes the button. That it doesn't matter whether he is able to consider the consequences of pushing it, as long as knows which button to push. And there are so many of you. More than I would have thought possible. It is truly terrifying.

You are literally saying that it doesn't matter whether the President understands what will happen when he pushes the button. That it doesn't matter whether he is able to consider the consequences of pushing it, as long as knows which button to push. And there are so many of you. More than I would have thought possible. It is truly terrifying.
I didn't say that. I said it didn't matter what he called it.

Sadly, Trump and his collaborators have enough power to forcefully drive the country into a pit of failure and despair. I'll put this request out there looking for a reasonable response from any of his supporters:

How is it that an elected President can choose to ignore laws and precedents, instead basing his decisions and actions on the effects it could have on him and/or his businesses? How is he able to earn $1.9b during 3+ years of "serving the country," when all past Presidents accepted the law of the land by divesting their holdings?

I didn't say that. I said it didn't matter what he called it.

You said, "What matters is the president knows what button to push."

Being able to identify the terms used to describe the distribution of our nuclear arsenal would suggest that he has read the briefings that were given to him on the subject, or listened to our Generals when they tried to discuss it with him, or that he had done a modicum of research on the subject before threatening North Korea with it.

The fact that he isn't familiar with it gives every indication that he does not listen to the Generals, because in his own mind, "he knows better" than them. It suggests that he hasn't read any briefings about it, or even seen a Wikipedia article on the subject.

All he knows is that he has a big red button that can be used in a Twitter flame war with someone else who has a big red button. And to you, that's all he needs to know. You proudly declare that the only qualification you look for is an ability to identify the button, and an R next to your name. It boggles the mind.

You might want to leave it at checkers, doubt chess is in trumps skillset,
Lol I’m trying to picture Joe playing chess. Without screaming at the chess pieces because he can’t remember which is which.

Tic tac toe might be a better choice.

Maybe with four squares instead of nine.

There was never a Republican debate in 2016 with 20 candidates.
It depends of definitions. They had it on two nights, in groups chosen at random. Close enough for this sort of discussion.

Trump and his minions are already trying to quickly flip the script from "Biden is a drooling old man who can't put on his pants" to "Biden is a seasoned debater, and a professional".

The idiots are now realizing they've created a scenario where all Biden has to do is show up to the debates and talk...and he'll have exceeded expectations.

Oh, and Trump is also a lousy debater...and his campaign knows it.

Back
Top Bottom