• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

President Zelensky of Ukraine accuses Germany of sacrificing Ukraine

Ginza

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
"President Volodymyr Zelensky accused Germany of sacrificing Ukraine to protect its own business interests in a hard-hitting address to the German parliament on Thursday. “We warned you. We told you Nord Stream was a preparation for war,” he said, referring to the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline with Russia, with Germany reliant on Moscow for more than half of its natural gas. “We were answered, it's a question of business. It's business, business, business.”

Zelensky is correct. Germany has yet again put its own financial interests before what is fair and just.

Millions in the UK must be relieved that they are no longer part of the German dominated EU.

" In a blistering speech to lawmakers in Berlin, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy on Thursday accused politicians of failing to live up to their historical responsibility after the Holocaust — enshrined in the phrase “never again” — to secure peace in Europe."

Polite applause, but I wonder if the Germans really wanted to hear it. I understand his frustration, but Germans may be tired of hearing about their moral failures in WWII ("never again") and need encouraged to rise to the occasion, not chastised.

"President Volodymyr Zelensky accused Germany of sacrificing Ukraine to protect its own business interests in a hard-hitting address to the German parliament on Thursday. “We warned you. We told you Nord Stream was a preparation for war,” he said, referring to the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline with Russia, with Germany reliant on Moscow for more than half of its natural gas. “We were answered, it's a question of business. It's business, business, business.”

Zelensky is correct. Germany has yet again put its own financial interests before what is fair and just.

Millions in the UK must be relieved that they are no longer part of the German dominated EU.
You do know that this is an old speech held in the very beginning of the war?

You do know that this is an old speech held in the very beginning of the war?

By now, you should have realised that your claim that this is an old speech is incorrect.

The speech was made on Thursday (yesterday).

I guess you only realised your mistake after the period allowing you to edit your post had expired.

I wonder if the Germans really wanted to hear it.

They certainly didn't want to be ridiculed, either by Ukraine or the rest of the world.

But their pathetic offer of helmets and their initial refusal to enforce a Swift ban on Russia, was in need of criticism.

Well said Zelensky.

Last I looked Ukraine is not a German State. Ukraine was never Germany's to sacrifice in the first place. This only shows the blurry situation an expansionist Nato/Eu finds itself in. In a bizarre way Nato/Eu has laid claim to realms to the east far beyond its actual present peripheries. And nations, technically outside Nato, already consider themselves as deserving of Article 5 support.

Zelensky is not doing Ukraine any favors criticizing the people he wants to help him.

By now, you should have realised that your claim that this is an old speech is incorrect.

The speech was made on Thursday (yesterday).

I guess you only realised your mistake after the period allowing you to edit your post had expired.
You are mistaken It is a new speech.
OK, strange though since Germany has supplied the Ukraine with 1,000 anti-tank weapons and 500 Stinger anti-aircraft defense systems to Ukraine. They have also put the Nordstream 2 project on the shell so what is he talking about?

Don't worry.

Germany is now re-arming.

What could possibly go wrong? :eek:

Reactions: PoS
Don't worry.

Yes. Germans are racially incapable of not invading people, right?

" In a blistering speech to lawmakers in Berlin, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy on Thursday accused politicians of failing to live up to their historical responsibility after the Holocaust — enshrined in the phrase “never again” — to secure peace in Europe."

I don't think anyone should be invoking the Holocaust.

As much as I support Ukraine, there are times when Zelensky's rhetoric is also rude. I understand he is desperate to do whatever he can to help his country but accusing other countries of not doing enough is just wrong. Most are doing so much to ensure Ukraine has money and military equipment, and risking lives to deliver humanitarian aid

Last edited:
Don't worry.

Having powerful armies can change one's posture. An armed Germany will also start making demands commensurate with its new power. Maybe Germany should be denied parole for the moment:)

I don't think anyone should be invoking the Holocaust. No comparison

Exception can be made for one under seige. Putin is at the gates of Kiev. Understandably, Zelensky is much stressed.

As much as I support Ukraine, there are times when Zelensky's rhetoric is also rude. I understand he is desperate to do whatever he can to help his country but accusing other countries of not doing enough is just wrong. Most are doing so much to ensure Ukraine has money and military equipment, and risking lives to deliver humanitarian aid

I believe what Zelenskyy is really saying is that Germany (and the rest of Europe) waited too long to make a difference in Putin's war calculus. In this Zelenskyy is correct. But even though Zelenskyy is Jewish, he should not dredge up the Holocaust to make this point.

He appeals to other nations for help, he is not rude to them. In the case of Germany, I guess that his country suffered shocking German barbarism during WW2 and perhaps he believes German has a moral duty to do the "right thing" now.

OK, strange though since Germany has supplied the Ukraine with 1,000 anti-tank weapons and 500 Stinger anti-aircraft defense systems to Ukraine. They have also put the Nordstream 2 project on the shell so what is he talking about?

He is obviously talking about the fact that Germany did nothing to help prior to the invasion and actually enabled Russia by being a massive importer of Russian products.

He is obviously pissed off because Germany offered only helmets at a time when the UK and USA were sending missiles to Ukraine PRIOR to the invasion....and also sending troops to train Ukrainians on the use of these missiles.

After all, it was the Germans who raped and pillaged Ukraine during WW2. One would think that the Germans would have a moral responsibility to help Ukraine at this time.

Obviously, the Germans have put their own financial interests before the welfare of the Ukrainian people.

Zelensky is not doing Ukraine any favors criticizing the people he wants to help him.

The worldwide criticism and ridicule of Germany certainly made the Germans get off their backsides and start providing aid to Germany, after they initially refused to join the Swift boycott of Russia and offered only helmets to Ukraine.

So criticism and ridicule has worked in this case.

certainly made the Germans get off their backsides and start providing aid to Germany

Errata : Obviously, the last word should read "Ukraine".

He is obviously talking about the fact that Germany did nothing to help prior to the invasion and actually enabled Russia by being a massive importer of Russian products.

He is obviously pissed off because Germany offered only helmets at a time when the UK and USA were sending missiles to Ukraine PRIOR to the invasion....and also sending troops to train Ukrainians on the use of these missiles.

After all, it was the Germans who raped and pillaged Ukraine during WW2. One would think that the Germans would have a moral responsibility to help Ukraine at this time.

Obviously, the Germans have put their own financial interests before the welfare of the Ukrainian people.
Well, right now, Germany is the county that is paying the highest price in the west, due to the sanctions. And Germany has been the leading force in estabishing them due to suggesting and implementing sanctions that would hurt Germany the most it has been impossible for other countries in the EU to argue against any sanctions that has been installed. And believe me, there has been many countries that would have if Germany hadn't taken the lead. Germany is also the country that directed the EU to give the refugees from the Ukraine an automatical residence permit with the same rights as EU citizens in any EU country, making it so that the refugees can move freely and choice on their own which country they want to live in and getting housing and preliminary help in those countries for 3 years. Germany did so, knowing that most of the refugees will in fact want to go to Germany.

But it is a more complicated and even bigger question than the war and the only reason I can think of that Zelensky makes such a speak now is to undermine Germany in the EU and thereby render Poland and some other countries more credibility in demanding that the Ukraine should get a shortcut into the EU. He is thinking ahead, which just proves he is a god leader. It doesn't say anything about the German role in this war or it's support for the Ukraine. It just tells you that it is easier to undermine Germany than it is to undermine Sweden, Belgium, Finland, The Netherlands a s o in this current crisis.

Last edited:
Well, right now, Germany is the county that is paying the highest price in the west, due to the sanctions. And Germany has been the leading force in estabishing them due to suggesting and implementing sanctions that would hurt Germany the most it has been impossible for other countries in the EU to argue against any sanctions that has been installed. And believe me, there has been many countries that would have if Germany hadn't taken the lead. Germany is also the country that directed the EU to give the refugees from the Ukraine an automatical residence permit with the same rights as EU citizens in any EU country, making it so that the refugees can move freely and choice on their own which country they want to live in and getting housing and preliminary help in those countries for 3 years. Germany did so, knowing that most of the refugees will in fact wat to go to Germany.

But it is a more complicated and even bigger question than the war and the only reason I can think of that Zelensky makes such a speak now is to undermine Germany in the EU and thereby render Poland and some other countries more credibility in demanding that the Ukraine should get a shortcut into the EU. He is thinking ahead, which just proves he is a god leader. It doesn't say anything about the German role in this war or it's support for the Ukraine. It just tells you that it is easier to undermine Germany than it is to undermine Sweden, Belgium, Finland, The Netherlands a s o in this current crisis.

I don't think that it is all that. It's more a case of nervous crisis.

I don't think that it is all that. It's more a case of nervous crisis.
Maybe not but if the speech was made on Thursday it was made the same day that the prime ministers of Poland, Slovenia and the Czech Republic met Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky in Kyiv. The prime ministers made a joint declaration while in Kyiv saying Ukraine deserves to be granted candidate status for membership in the European Union. Something the EU had discussed and agreed not to proceed with just the week before.

Maybe not but if the speech was made on Thursday it was made the same day that the prime ministers of Poland, Slovenia and the Czech Republic met Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky in Kyiv. The prime ministers made a joint declaration while in Kyiv saying Ukraihttps://debatepolitics.com/ne deserves to be granted candidate status for membership in the European Union. Something the EU had discussed and agreed not to proceed with just the week before.

I hope Germany retains its sanity. Zelensky has nothing to lose. Germany has the EU to protect. French President Macron had also commented on the absurdity of admitting a country at war. That's a serious decision to take. It commits the EU to war. Or maybe the EU already is at war. Whatever the case, it is a major decision with far reaching consequences

Back
Top Bottom