• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

President Trumps Address to the Nation 01/08/19

Captain Adverse

Classical Liberal Sage
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

This is President Trump's Oval Office speech on 01/08/19 presented for review.

Here is a cut from the transcript:

The proposal from Homeland Security includes cutting-edge technology for detecting drugs, weapons, illegal contraband, and many other things. We have requested more agents, immigration judges and bed space to process the sharp rise in unlawful migration fueled by our very strong economy. Our plan also contains an urgent request for humanitarian assistance and medical support.

Furthermore, we have asked Congress to close border security loopholes so that illegal immigrant children can be safely and humanely returned back home.

Finally, as part of an overall approach to border security, law enforcement professionals have requested $5.7 billion dollars for a physical barrier. At the request of Democrats, it will be a steel barrier rather than a concrete wall. This barrier is absolutely critical to border security. It’s also what our professionals at the border want and need. This is just commonsense.

The border wall would very quickly pay for itself. The cost of illegal drugs exceeds $500 billion dollars a year – vastly more than the $5.7 billion dollars we have requested from Congress. The wall will also be paid for, indirectly, by the great new trade deal we have made with Mexico.
https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/01/08/read-trumps-full-oval-office-speech-on-border-security/

NOTE: NO mention of declaring a state of emergency.

This seems reasonable to me. The wall will be a barrier that is less costly and an improvement over the older fencing. Costs are explained.

I also agree that there needs to a be a speedier process for vetting and deporting, as well as for handling minors.

What are your objections?

Last edited:
I thought it was a good speech. I don't think it changed anyone's mind but it was one of Trumps better ones

Don't see how his base is happy about this. Heard three new GOPers are caving and calling to re-open the gov't. Trumps gonna cave, just like we all said he would. There will never be a border wall. #Sorrynotsorry.

Sniffle. Sniffle. words words words. Sniffle Sniffle.

If that was your opinion of it so be it. I thought Trumps speech was better than Pelosis rebuttal with Chuck as a prop.

It was just a campaign fundraising event. The networks should send him a bill

The rubes are too stupid to understand that their cult leader bombed tonight.

Don't see how his base is happy about this. Heard three new GOPers are caving and calling to re-open the gov't. Trumps gonna cave, just like we all said he would. There will never be a border wall. #Sorrynotsorry.

Sooo...no real objections; just more "Trump BAAAD! Supporters CULTISTS! We will WIN and EVIL will PERISH!" thinking.

:coffeepap:

Sooo...no real objections; just more "Trump BAAAD! Supporters CULTISTS! We will WIN and EVIL will PERISH!" thinking.

Individual 1 wasted the network's time for a stupid rant, and he is already trying to fund raise off of this.

A complete waste

https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/01/08/read-trumps-full-oval-office-speech-on-border-security/

This seems reasonable to me. The wall will be a barrier that is less costly and an improvement over the older fencing. Costs are explained.

I also agree that there needs to a be a speedier process for vetting and deporting, as well as for handling minors.

Do you believe the bolded bull****?

If that was your opinion of it so be it. I thought Trumps speech was better than Pelosis rebuttal with Chuck as a prop.
What was up with his facial expression? Nancy could never have gotten away with that

Dwb888dVYAAaFX8.jpg

The rubes are too stupid to understand that their cult leader bombed tonight.

Thank goodness they have the condescending intellectual elitists to explain everything to them. :roll:

I was part of the boycott so yes I objected. Not wasting my time. I'd rather read a book which is what I was doing at the time...

Thank goodness they have the condescending intellectual elitists to explain everything to them. :roll:

That's "Mister Elitist" to you......

Individual 1 wasted the network's time for a stupid rant, and he is already trying to fund raise off of this.
A complete waste

"... The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) released their own fundraising email later Tuesday, encouraging supporters to donate $1 “to make his shutdown speech backfire."

“Trump just personally called his entire base to action,” the DCCC email read. “He just sent donors a disgusting email urging them to flood him with cash before his big shutdown tonight.”

The DCCC email then calls for a “massive surge of opposition” before Trump takes the stage so Republicans don’t think America supports “Trump’s despicable shutdown and abhorrent border wall.” It includes a pitch for readers to donate money to Democrats. ..."

https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...of-trump-fundraising-before-primetime-address

There was one major thing missing from his speech.

A justification for tying new border security measures and discussions of them to government funding, which has absolutely nothing to with it.

Pelosi and Schumer were absolutely right, these are ransom games. This nonsense of Republicans shutting down the government whenever they're not getting their way has to stop, and clearly the WH and senate Republicans are caught off guard at Democrats so far following through with not paying the ransom this time; I have to say I'm surprised at that myself.

it was a campaign speech that we've heard so many times before it was sad
The sad truth is he's holding 800,000 Americans hostage because he's unable to score a deal in Congress.

Dems will negotiate, but repubs got open government first
Dems don't negotiate with whiny temper tantrum hostage-takers

McConnell could have took the 100 - 0 CR that passed both houses and have
Overridden The veto and the government would be open. But McConnell doesn't have the spine to counter the president even when he's got every member of the Senate voting for The Resolution

Do you really think calling people "intellectual elitists" is an insult?

If he does cave on the wall, his political future will be buried six feet under.

Back
Top Bottom