• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

President Trump says Republicans 'wasting their time' on border security talks

HumblePi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Trump is back to a 'wall' not a fence - not a barrier - but the original concept of a big beautiful concrete wall. I just listened to him taking question from the press. He stated that he's not going to accept a 'fence', it's going to be a wall and he doesn't even need Congress to do it. He also stated; "the wall is already being built although nobody is reporting it, but that's okay, it's being built right now."

I have a distinct feeling he's going to announce a state of emergency during his SOTU address, and use the military funding plus order troops to the border to help build it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-trump-border-wall-talks-congress/2729908002/

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump expressed skepticism Thursday that a congressional committee will agree to his demands for a border wall, raising the specters of another government shutdown or an "emergency declaration" sure to be challenged in court.

Tweeting that "Republicans on the Homeland Security Committee are wasting their time," Trump said that "Democrats, despite all of the evidence, proof and Caravans coming, are not going to give money to build the DESPERATELY needed WALL."

Trump did not specifically cite the prospects of another shutdown or an emergency declaration, but told Republicans "I’ve got you covered" because the "wall is already being built, I don’t expect much help!"
He did not elaborate.

Trump did not specifically cite the prospects of another shutdown or an emergency declaration, but told Republicans "I’ve got you covered" because the "wall is already being built, I don’t expect much help!"
He did not elaborate.

Well good, that means there is no need for another government shutdown and the one Trump just did for over 30 days he admits was worthless.

.... Trump did not specifically cite the prospects of another shutdown or an emergency declaration, but told Republicans "I’ve got you covered" because the "wall is already being built, I don’t expect much help!"
He did not elaborate.

He keeps bouncing back and forth between "I've kept my promise, the wall is already being built" and "It's a national emergency, so bad that it justifies me making life hell for millions of Americans to do whatever it takes to get the money for this wall which doesn't exist yet."

But we're supposed to trust him with our money ... or in an actual national emergency.

And we're meanies because of how badly we treat this great man.

Well good, that means there is no need for another government shutdown and the one Trump just did for over 30 days he admits was worthless.

The thing is, he made it clear that he doesn't need Congress to agree to any border wall or border security and that he has the power to simply declare a national emergency, pillage the military budgeted funds and proceed with a cement wall. This is what a tyrant or dictator does. Congress is 1/3 of the power of U.S. government and he is vastly misusing his power as president if he goes ahead with something like that.

This was from a CNN article dated August 2017.

"A special White House panel led by New Jersey Republican Gov. Chris Christie recommended that Trump make an emergency declaration on opioids. A statement from the White House in August said Trump has "instructed his Administration to use all appropriate emergency and other authorities to respond to the crisis caused by the opioid epidemic."

Chris Christie has been making the rounds on cable networks pandering his new book and I'm 100% positive he has recycled this reason for Trump to declare a national emergency.

Trump is back to a 'wall' not a fence - not a barrier - but the original concept of a big beautiful concrete wall. I just listened to him taking question from the press. He stated that he's not going to accept a 'fence', it's going to be a wall and he doesn't even need Congress to do it. He also stated; "the wall is already being built although nobody is reporting it, but that's okay, it's being built right now."

I have a distinct feeling he's going to announce a state of emergency during his SOTU address, and use the military funding plus order troops to the border to help build it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-trump-border-wall-talks-congress/2729908002/

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump expressed skepticism Thursday that a congressional committee will agree to his demands for a border wall, raising the specters of another government shutdown or an "emergency declaration" sure to be challenged in court.

Tweeting that "Republicans on the Homeland Security Committee are wasting their time," Trump said that "Democrats, despite all of the evidence, proof and Caravans coming, are not going to give money to build the DESPERATELY needed WALL."

He did not elaborate.

The GOP and Trump could have built the wall as part of the tax cut in 2017, but rushing a poorly written giveaway to the rich was more important. (Allocating 5.7 Billion for a wall is almost certainly possible under reconciliation)

Then the GOP could have built the wall in 2018. But they didn't submit any budget at all to save vulnerable GOP members from casting an unpopular vote.

Then the GOP could have built the wall in the lame duck session. But they decided it was more important to fast-track conservative judges.

But now it's an emergency that there isn't a wall in a location that hasn't been determined built under a timeline that hasn't been proposed with a construction that still has to be designed. We're still building wall allocated in 2006. Except it's also already built.. and it's beautiful. Except for where it's also now being repaired... and that will be beautiful. And it's stopping everyone. No one is getting in. But the caravans will get in... because there's no wall.

Everything is amazing and going so well that everyone is thanking Trump. It's also really bad and an emergency.

The thing is, he made it clear that he doesn't need Congress to agree to any border wall or border security and that he has the power to simply declare a national emergency, pillage the military budgeted funds and proceed with a cement wall. This is what a tyrant or dictator does. Congress is 1/3 of the power of U.S. government and he is vastly misusing his power as president if he goes ahead with something like that.

"A special White House panel led by New Jersey Republican Gov. Chris Christie recommended that Trump make an emergency declaration on opioids. A statement from the White House in August said Trump has "instructed his Administration to use all appropriate emergency and other authorities to respond to the crisis caused by the opioid epidemic."

Chris Christie has been making the rounds on cable networks pandering his new book and I'm 100% positive he has recycled this reason for Trump to declare a national emergency.

Trump is free to try and as soon as he does this will be brought before courts. While Trump has the power to declare a National Emergency, he has demonstrated that he does so ONLY to by-pass congress and that it isn't really a National Emergency. You don't wait two YEARS with a Republican congress and Republican president, then wait weeks after a Dem house takes over and do a government shutdown for something that is a National Emergency.

Trump is free to try and as soon as he does this will be brought before courts. While Trump has the power to declare a National Emergency, he has demonstrated that he does so ONLY to by-pass congress and that it isn't really a National Emergency. You don't wait two YEARS with a Republican congress and Republican president, then wait weeks after a Dem house takes over and do a government shutdown for something that is a National Emergency.

It was a crisis in 2017 and 2018 when republicans had control of both houses and could have done it then. But republicans in Congress didn't give 2 figs for his wall, they wanted tax cuts and supreme court appointees. They got those and now they're only half-heartedly behind him on the wall. Now he's going to have to convince a federal judge in the 9th circuit that in 2019 suddenly the crisis has become a national emergency.

The thing is any smart politician would know if you don't even have the votes in our own party for the wall then you need to take your ball and go home. You don't make life miserable for millions of people just because you don't get your way.

I hope this the a disaster for Trump that it appears it's going to be. The man needs an attitude adjustment.

He did not elaborate.

I agree. I think he's done farting around with opposition in Congress. He's just going to build the wall.

I agree. I think he's done farting around with opposition in Congress. He's just going to build the wall.

The border is his "Reichstag fire."

He did not elaborate.

Trump is a mentally deranged authoritarian who will welcome the chance to expand his power even if it means violating the US Constitution and inventing a phony emergency which does not exist.

And just watch the Trumpkins line up behind him in support.

It appears this is what prompted this latest stuff from Trump:

For those of you who don't know...this is "Normandy fencing":

54cfcd65a3c7f_-_border_tech_02_0810-lg.jpg

So...this is the kind of barrier/wall/fencing/whateveryoucallit that Pelosi is okay with?

Yeah...Trump should tell her to piss up a rope.

It appears this is what prompted this latest stuff from Trump:

For those of you who don't know...this is "Normandy fencing":

View attachment 67249333

So...this is the kind of barrier/wall/fencing/whateveryoucallit that Pelosi is okay with?

Yeah...Trump should tell her to piss up a rope.

Yeah, that's tellin' her.

BTW - we don't really need a wall. Just sayin'.

Republicans know it as well as Democrats. They're just afraid of him.

He did not elaborate.

And he keeps saying we are currently working on building the wall and he's let contracts out for more wall to be built. So why the shutdown?

The saddest part about all this is Congress is talking about the true crisis at the border, which is a humanitarian crisis. Trump is out in la-la land trying to prove how tough he is.

When it comes to Mr. Trump, its only about Mr. Trump. What a sad, pathetic character.

And he keeps saying we are currently working on building the wall and he's let contracts out for more wall to be built. So why the shutdown?

And if its an emergency, why the shutdown? He lies, he contradicts himself, he says in any given moment whatever he thinks will get him what he wants no matter how absurd, wrong or hypocritical it is. And for it all, he'e only been rewarded for it.

Pelosi was the grown-up who finally brought the recalcitrant toddler down a notch. Here's hoping they can keep him down.

By your logic 2/3rds of the government want the wall and the house is standing in the way of DEMOCRACY

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It was a crisis in 2017 and 2018 when republicans had control of both houses and could have done it then. But republicans in Congress didn't give 2 figs for his wall, they wanted tax cuts and supreme court appointees. They got those and now they're only half-heartedly behind him on the wall. Now he's going to have to convince a federal judge in the 9th circuit that in 2019 suddenly the crisis has become a national emergency.
Why a 9th circuit judge, why not convince a 6th circuit judge?

Why a 9th circuit judge, why not convince a 6th circuit judge?

It could be the 6th or any federal court for that matter, it depends on which state challenges his decision to call a national emergency. It could be the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. Whichever federal court it will be, it will definitely be challenged.

It could be the 6th or any federal court for that matter, it depends on which state challenges his decision to call a national emergency. It could be the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. Whichever federal court it will be, it will definitely be challenged.
Its interesting that you presume it will be challenged in the most liberal circuit court and offered no criticism of that.

Its interesting that you presume it will be challenged in the most liberal circuit court and offered no criticism of that.

It shouldn't be that interesting to you or anyone that it will be challenged in a federal court no matter if it's in D.C., California or Bumblefuk, Missouri. It goes to a court, period.

Back
Top Bottom