• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

President Trump making a lot of progress in North Korea and China!

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Meeting Kimg Jong Un in Late February and then right after meeting Xi Jinping to sign a deal!

President Trump expressed confidence on Thursday that the United States and China would reach a trade deal but warned that any agreement must include sweeping changes to China’s economic policies or Washington would move ahead with stiffer tariffs on Chinese goods.

In remarks in the Oval Office, Mr. Trump said any agreement he made with President Xi Jinping must go far beyond China simply buying more American products and include an unprecedented opening of its markets to American businesses. He said a final deal would probably be sealed in person during a meeting next month with Mr. Xi at a location that has not been determined.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/31/business/trump-china-trade-tariffs.html

The President of China even sent Trump a letter saying he wants to meet sooner before the deadline to sign a deal.

Thread title doesn't match OP. "Cardinal Has Ripping Abs" would have been a more accurate title compared to the existing one.

I'm pretty confident I'm going to win the lottery too.

But I digress...

It will be interesting to see how much change China is willing to take in order to end the tariffs. I'm doubtful they're going to open up their markets the way Trump is expecting them too since they won't want to challenge the growth of their own companies.

You cannot make progress without first trying and that is what Trump does, he tries. He takes the initiative. After decades of inertia, it's a nice change. Whether it gets the results we want is another matter but we will never do that by keeping the status quo.

I'm pretty confident I'm going to win the lottery too.

But I digress...

It will be interesting to see how much change China is willing to take in order to end the tariffs. I'm doubtful they're going to open up their markets the way Trump is expecting them too since they won't want to challenge the growth of their own companies.

Their economy is TANKING. They'll cave.

Meanwhile not a SINGLE MISSILE LAUNCH, released hostages, US soldiers' remains sent home, etc., on the NOKO front, w/o the US giving up ANYTHING, other than to talk to them. Sanctions remain in place.

Very good progress.

You cannot make progress without first trying and that is what Trump does, he tries. He takes the initiative. After decades of inertia, it's a nice change. Whether it gets the results we want is another matter but we will never do that by keeping the status quo.

No risk no reward. You have to respect that.

He's stopped calling them both China-people? Is that the progress?
Or is he up for another Nobel Peace Prize?

Meeting Kimg Jong Un in Late February and then right after meeting Xi Jinping to sign a deal!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/31/business/trump-china-trade-tariffs.html

The President of China even sent Trump a letter saying he wants to meet sooner before the deadline to sign a deal.
The flowery words are great but at the end of day let's see how it all plays out. I'm confident in trump to move us to a better place but I'm not gonna celebrate empty rhetoric

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

He's stopped calling them both China-people? Is that the progress?
Or is he up for another Nobel Peace Prize?

You didn't see or read the letter Xi Jingping wrote to Donald Trump?

He said "I felt I have known you for years. I wish you and Melania a great Lunear New Year."

Almost like a love letter begging Trump to sign a deal.

You didn't see or read the letter Xi Jingping wrote to Donald Trump?

He said "I felt I have known you for years. I wish you and Melania a great Lunear New Year."

Almost like a love letter begging Trump to sign a deal.

I'd say that when you stop stealing our industrial and intellectual secrets, we'll talk about a deal. No matter how much we talk nice with China, too, we must remember that they take the long view and their plan is to slowly and incrementally replace us as the preeminent power in the world. IOW, they are our chief adversary, not Russia and not Putin. As long as we keep that in mind, we will not make costly mistakes.

Last edited:
Oh please, the NK "negotiation" was a sham right from the start...obviously so. Trump still calls that bit of toilet tissue signed by both parties an "agreement". My butt end its an agreement.

As for China, the biggest problem we have with China is IP theft and there simply no way to deal with China IP theft bilaterally. Its a fantasy. Yet Trump ignores or simply dynamites any vehicle he ever had to deal with China IP theft multilaterally.

The only "progress" I see is progress toward American Authoritarianism and alliances with other authoritarians at least as long as Trump is around.

Just for giggles, the whistleblower that blew the whistle on the WH Security Clearance scandal has been suspended. More BS from the most BS Administration in modern if not all American History.

Oh please, the NK "negotiation" was a sham right from the start...obviously so. Trump still calls that bit of toilet tissue signed by both parties an "agreement". My butt end its an agreement.

As for China, the biggest problem we have with China is IP theft and there simply no way to deal with China IP theft bilaterally. Its a fantasy. Yet Trump ignores or simply dynamites any vehicle he ever had to deal with China IP theft multilaterally.

How are you going to deal with it multilaterally? Nobody else is going to go to the mat for us and disrupt their own relations with China. It has to be dealt with bilaterally or unilaterally. There is no other way. As for NK, we've gotten a few things and given up nothing other than a photo-op. That's a win, no matter how modest.

How are you going to deal with it multilaterally? Nobody else is going to go to the mat for us and disrupt their own relations with China. It has to be dealt with bilaterally or unilaterally. There is no other way. As for NK, we've gotten a few things and given up nothing other than a photo-op. That's a win, no matter how modest.

Do you actually think US companies are the only companies having their IP stolen? That would be rich. Is it that we think IP theft is always direct? That would also be rich.

We have gotten a few what things? NK does not have to test for now. That has not stopped them from building Nuclear assets now has it. Do we actually think they are going to blow up assets they have just built? Rose colored glasses full on in that case.

Last edited:
China now going to buy more than 5 million tons of US soybeans. Oh look, another Trump success.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Do you actually think US companies are the only companies having their IP stolen? That would be rich. Is it that we think IP theft is always direct? That would also be rich.

We have gotten a few what things? NK does not have to test for now. That has not stopped them from building Nuclear assets now has it. Do we actually think they are going to blow up assets they have just built? Rose colored glasses full on in that case.

If NK does nothing, they get nothing. We hold all the cards. My comment on IP theft holds. Until other countries think the issue is a serious one for them, they will do nothing. We cannot wait for them.

China now going to buy more the 5 million tons of US soybeans. Oh, look another Trump success.:mrgreen:

It is amazing to see an administraton getting thimgs done left and right. Usmca, china, south korea, north korea.

I am almost tired of all the winning president Trump

China now going to buy more the 5 million tons of US soybeans. Oh, look another Trump success.:mrgreen:

You mean the soybeans they have not been buying. So they were buying soybeans from US farmers. They made one last monster purchase ahead of the tariffs and then went elsewhere for soybeans. So how is there coming back to US farmers some big win? Seems like a big break even with a bunch of pain for farmers attached to me.

I'd say that when you stop stealing our industrial and intellectual secrets, we'll talk about a deal. No matter how much we talk nice with China, too, we must remember that they take the long view and their plan is to slowly and incrementally replace us as the preeminent power in the world. IOW, they are our chief adversary, not Russia and not Putin. As long as we keep that in mind, we will not make costly mistakes.

Everything was covered. Here were the bullet points covered

The talks covered a wide range of issues, including: (1) the ways in which United States companies are pressured to transfer technology to Chinese companies; (2) the need for stronger protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights in China; (3) the numerous tariff and non-tariff barriers faced by United States companies in China; (4) the harm resulting from China's cyber-theft of United States commercial property; (5) how market-distorting forces, including subsidies and state-owned enterprises, can lead to excess capacity; (6) the need to remove market barriers and tariffs that limit United States sales of manufactured goods, services, and agriculture to China; and (7) the role of currencies in the United States–China trading relationship. The two sides also discussed the need to reduce the enormous and growing trade deficit that the United States has with China. The purchase of United States products by China from our farmers, ranchers, manufacturers, and businesses is a critical part of the negotiations.*

As for Trump and NK and China and his opinions of same, now Trump says Coats and Haspel told him that they were "totally misquoted from their Senate hearings". Well OK Donald you want to convince us that they told you they were misquoted out of a public hearing. I doubt it. Only YOU, DonDon would be stupid enough to make a claim that you were misquoted when all we need to do is go to the tape.

Coats and Haspel didn't say that to you and we know they didn't say that to you.

You mean the soybeans they have not been buying. So they were buying soybeans from US farmers. They made one last monster purchase ahead of the tariffs and then went elsewhere for soybeans. So how is there coming back to US farmers some big win? Seems like a big break even with a bunch of pain for farmers attached to me.

Yes, it's a big win because it shows that the strategy is working. China is at the table. They came to Trump. This can't be denied.

If NK does nothing, they get nothing. We hold all the cards. My comment on IP theft holds. Until other countries think the issue is a serious one for them, they will do nothing. We cannot wait for them.

NK does not want anything from us.....what the heck are you talking about! They got everything they wanted in PR and if we meet again they will gladly take more of that....taking advantage of DonDon is just too easy.

As for a multinational deal on IP, how does bowing out of any possibility of a multinational deal make any sense. I don't recall anybody dragging their feet EXCEPT US!

Last edited:
Everything was covered. Here were the bullet points covered

The talks covered a wide range of issues, including: (1) the ways in which United States companies are pressured to transfer technology to Chinese companies; (2) the need for stronger protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights in China; (3) the numerous tariff and non-tariff barriers faced by United States companies in China; (4) the harm resulting from China's cyber-theft of United States commercial property; (5) how market-distorting forces, including subsidies and state-owned enterprises, can lead to excess capacity; (6) the need to remove market barriers and tariffs that limit United States sales of manufactured goods, services, and agriculture to China; and (7) the role of currencies in the United States–China trading relationship. The two sides also discussed the need to reduce the enormous and growing trade deficit that the United States has with China. The purchase of United States products by China from our farmers, ranchers, manufacturers, and businesses is a critical part of the negotiations.*

Lets hope for success. We know not everyone is.

Yes, it's a big win because it shows that the strategy is working. China is at the table. They came to Trump. This can't be denied.

And getting a horse to water does not mean you can make him drink. Soybeans MAY help China, they won't do anything for us that really matters. You can take all the soybeans we will sell to China for all time and not make up for our losses in IP theft.

NK does not want anything from us.....what the heck are you talking about!

As for a multinational deal on IP, how does bowing out of any possibility of a multinational deal make any sense. I don't recall anybody dragging their feet EXCEPT US!

So, you think the photo-op is all it was about for NK? Kim isn't that dumb. If he thinks he can wrangle economic aid out of us, he'll try. Of course, Trump will not reward them unless they do what we ask.

And getting a horse to water does not mean you can make him drink. Soybeans MAY help China, they won't do anything for us that really matters. You can take all the soybeans we will sell to China for all time and not make up for our losses in IP theft.

So what? Nobody said we won't or shouldn't pursue that issue as well.

Back
Top Bottom