• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

President Trump endorses major prison, sentencing reform legislation

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
It's a good thing.

Let him bask.

I keep hoping if he gets enough attention for positive things he'll try to do more positive things.

Let me hope.

More positive outcomes for black Americans delivered by Trump. Did Obama address this?

Well, if anyone knows about prisons, it's Jared. His father spent some time in one.

The Kushners are a criminal family, and they've weaseled their way into the White House.

It's a good thing.

Let him bask.

I keep hoping if he gets enough attention for positive things he'll try to do more positive things.

Let me hope.

Even a blind squirrel is right twice a day...or something like that

More positive outcomes for black Americans delivered by Trump. Did Obama address this?

Yeah, Trump keeps championing black unemployment, and now this. When does he start delivering for the people who actually voted for him?

Yes, Obama did.

Obama made some progress. For instance, the 2010 Fair Sentencing Act. Now Trump has made some progress.

I'll push the pause button on my regularly scheduled Trump bashing to acknowledge this.

The Kushners are a criminal family, and they've weaseled their way into the White House.

........and the Kushner have hooked their wagon to a “crime family.....”

Yes, Obama did.

Obama made some progress. For instance, the 2010 Fair Sentencing Act. Now Trump has made some progress.

I'll push the pause button on my regularly scheduled Trump bashing to acknowledge this.

You know, it's amazing. 12% of the population gets special attention, while 60% of the US population gets specifically targeted and cannot even be mentioned except for their "privilege."

I don't care anymore about protecting "our democracy." This government is tyrannical and needs to be replaced.

I gotta give Trump kudos on this one. Much as it pains me. Considering that white collar crimes are not punished as aggressively as other crimes, I doubt that Trump's friends, or family will be much affected.

I'd like someone to explain to me how, in the midst of an increase in violent crime, scandals about police not reporting crime, and a decrease in social trust, why giving criminals lighter sentences is good for society.

This is disgusting. He was voted in to take care of crime and make our communities safer, not to be nice to criminals.

Thanks, Jared. I hope you sleep better at night in the basement when you have Netanyahu over sleeping in your bed.

No that's not anti-semetic whatsoever. /s

Yeah, Trump keeps championing black unemployment, and now this. When does he start delivering for the people who actually voted for him?

Jesus ****ing h Christ dude. I guess you want a binky blanket amendment to soothe you. What's your real problem here?

Well, until this administration, Republicans have been virtually united in demanding longer and stiffer sentences for blacks. And the Republican base, and the NRA, were virtually 100% behind them. Anyone who dared suggest going easier on convicted criminals were subjected to constant attacks from the right. Don't forget, imprisonment has been big business for a while now, and Republicans love them some free enterprise, especially when it comes to making a profit locking up non-whites.

Ethnicity
See also: Race and crime in the United States and Racial inequality in the American criminal justice system
2010. Inmates in adult facilities, by race and ethnicity. Jails, and state and federal prisons.[56]
Race, ethnicity % of US population % of U.S. incarcerated population National incarceration rate (per 100,000 of all ages)
White (non-Hispanic) 64 39 450 per 100,000
Hispanic 16 19 831 per 100,000
Black 13 40 2,306 per 100,000

Even Trump. Until he was in power, he wanted the death sentence for blacks, even when they were proven innocent by DNA. Didn't matter a lick to Trump, he just wanted them locked up...for the crime of being black apparently:

Trump Is Still The Same Man Who Wanted The Central Park Five Executed

In 2002, the actual perpetrator, Matias Reyes, confessed to the crime. DNA testing revealed he’d committed the crime alone. Raymond and the rest of the Central Park Five were exonerated.

One might assume an apology was in order, but Trump refused to acknowledge his error and instead continued to insist the Central Park Five were guilty. In a 2014 opinion piece, he called the city of New York’s multimillion-dollar settlement for the exonerated men “a disgrace.”

That said, the USA's prison system is in desperate need of reform, so good on him or anyone who can get the ball rolling in that direction.

Last edited:
Mentioning Netanyahu is anti-semitic? Interesting.

Dropping him in a thread as a pejorative where the topic has absolutely nothing to do with him... yeah... you hood is showing.

Jesus ****ing h Christ dude. I guess you want a binky blanket amendment to soothe you. What's your real problem here?

Trump wasn't elected to lower "African-American unemployment," yet that's one of his biggest talking points. Notice whenever he does this that he'll talk about African-American, Hispanic, and Asian, but there's always one group that he will not mention.

Dropping him in a thread as a pejorative where the topic has absolutely nothing to do with him... yeah... you hood is showing.

Have you had any leaders of foreign nations sleeping in your bed?

Well, until this administration, Republicans have been virtually united in demanding longer and stiffer sentences for blacks. Anyone who dared suggest going easier on convicted criminals were subjected to constant attacks from the right.

Even Trump. Until he was in power, he wanted the death sentence for blacks, even when they were proven innocent by DNA. Didn't matter a lick to Trump, he just wanted them killed.

That said, the USA is in desperate need of reform, so good on him or anyone who can get the ball rolling in that direction.
DNA did not prove anyone innocent in that case and if today's testing standards and technology were applied, the outcome might be very different.

Well, until this administration, Republicans have been virtually united in demanding longer and stiffer sentences for blacks. Anyone who dared suggest going easier on convicted criminals were subjected to constant attacks from the right. Don't forget, imprisonment has been big business for a while now, and Republicans love them some free enterprise, especially when it comes to making a profit locking up non-whites.

I like my criminals in prison, not roaming the street, no matter what their race is.

Back
Top Bottom