• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

President Trump, Democratic lawmakers brace for White House meeting on government shutdown

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
WASHINGTON – Congressional leaders plan to be at the White House on Wednesday, but it's hard to say how much negotiating will be going on as the partial government shutdown enters its 12th day.

Congressional officials have described the meeting as an informational session on border security, the issue at the heart of the budget impasse that created the shutdown; the White House schedule said only that Trump will participate "in a border security briefing for congressional leadership" to be held in the Situation Room.

Source: (USA Today) President Trump, Democratic lawmakers brace for White House meeting on government shutdown

I think it's interesting that the White House is not calling this a "negotiation" meeting, but rather a "border security briefing for congressional leadership". And it's being held in the Situation Room, of all places.

Please excuse my skepticism, but after the last Trump-Pelosi-Schumer meeting, I'm a bit suspicions this "information session" will be a reality-show infomercial. Let's hope not.

So will it be a stunt? A substantive discussion? What will come out of it?

We shall see ...

Source: (USA Today) President Trump, Democratic lawmakers brace for White House meeting on government shutdown

I think it's interesting that the White House is not calling this a "negotiation" meeting, but rather a "border security briefing for congressional leadership". And it's being held in the Situation Room, of all places.

Please excuse my skepticism, but after the last Trump-Pelosi-Schumer meeting, I'm a bit suspicions this "information session" will be a reality-show infomercial. Let's hope not.

We shall see ...

I would certainly imagine negotiation would be happening, though it's certainly not going to end up being a public cluster**** again seeing as that didn't work out very well for Trump the last time.

Trump won't get his wall. The House and Senate will pass a continuing resolution with the bill they already voted on with a veto proof majority. He won't have any say in the matter. That's been known since the beginning. The only one that doesn't appear to comprehend that is Trump.

Trump won't get his wall. The House and Senate will pass a continuing resolution with the bill they already voted on with a veto proof majority. He won't have any say in the matter. That's been known since the beginning. The only one that doesn't appear to comprehend that is Trump.

Of course he won't get his wall. If he did Trump would know that he could shut down the government every few months to get absolutely anything he wants.

I would certainly imagine negotiation would be happening, though it's certainly not going to end up being a public cluster**** again seeing as that didn't work out very well for Trump the last time.
Honestly, I have no idea what Trump may do. He is too impetuous and lacking in judgment.

But I very much agree he got soundly spanked in the last televised meeting. I suspect he is still burning over that one, and will try to resolve it. Whether that is by coming across as a steady concerned and amiable leader, or as a bombastic attack dog, is anyone's guess. But whatever course he choses, it will be reality show acting that he believes will help him personally. It will have little to do with America's needs or well-being.

Of course he won't get his wall. If he did Trump would know that he could shut down the government every few months to get absolutely anything he wants.
That's exactly why he should get nothing, unless the Dems extract their pound of flesh. He needs to see pulling-off this shenanigan leaves him in a worst place. For every penny I give him, I'd get two times more. Want more than the $1.3B? Then, cough-up DACA!

That's exactly why he should get nothing, unless the Dems extract their pound of flesh. He needs to see pulling-off this shenanigan leaves him in a worst place. For every penny I give him, I'd get two times more. Want more than the $1.3B? Then, cough-up DACA!

And seeing as his base hates immigrants with the fire of a thousand burning suns, he knows he can't give that. I see no outcome that isn't him just agreeing to reopen government eventually with the House's bill.

And seeing as his base hates immigrants with the fire of a thousand burning suns, he knows he can't give that. I see no outcome that isn't him just agreeing to reopen government eventually with the House's bill.
I didn't type that in my reply, but I was thinking something close or similar. But I think perhaps he should be presented with a bad option (DACA), to drive the point home. Though I do think Pelosi would recognize and take an advantageous deal, if she can get it.

Meanwhile, Pelosi needs to get to work on punishing the GOP Senate with bill after bill. If she can't get to Trump, she needs to peel-off the GOP Senate. They'll never publicly rebuke Trump, but with enough pressure they may be forced to intervene behind-closed-doors to provide Trump a pathway out of his hole.

We shall see ...

They should televise the meeting since we can't all be flies on the wall.

The longer the shut down...The worse it is for trump.....The Democrats know this, will trump be able to stand up to the White fascists like Coulter and Limbaugh and deal?...Or will he watch his poll numbers go lower?...Taking the blame for the shutdown

I didn't type that in my reply, but I was thinking something close or similar. But I think perhaps he should be presented with a bad option (DACA), to drive the point home. Though I do think Pelosi would recognize and take an advantageous deal, if she can get it.

Meanwhile, Pelosi needs to get to work on punishing the GOP Senate with bill after bill. If she can't get to Trump, she needs to peel-off the GOP Senate. They'll never publicly rebuke Trump, but with enough pressure they may be forced to intervene behind-closed-doors to provide Trump a pathway out of his hole.

Some have theorized that backroom deals are being made for hm to resign and avoid charges. I think that's exactly what's going on now. I bet Trump himself is the hold out, wanting to believe he can quash the investigations and trimph. I think he'll fight it till the end, but I think right now McConnel is acting the loyalist part, while other factions work on getting Trump to accept the inevitable, that his presidency will end by or before the 2020 election or he will face music he doesn't want to face.

I think even the GOP internally knws how doomed the Trump ship is. All efforts are being made to show confidence in the administration, but internally the GOP is running scared.

They should televise the meeting since we can't all be flies on the wall.
I hope they do. I'm a firm believer in government transparency, and I believe televised meetings and hearings are an important part of that.

Some have theorized that backroom deals are being made for hm to resign and avoid charges. I think that's exactly what's going on now. I bet Trump himself is the hold out, wanting to believe he can quash the investigations and trimph. I think he'll fight it till the end, but I think right now McConnel is acting the loyalist part, while other factions work on getting Trump to accept the inevitable, that his presidency will end by or before the 2020 election or he will face music he doesn't want to face.

I think even the GOP internally knws how doomed the Trump ship is. All efforts are being made to show confidence in the administration, but internally the GOP is running scared.

With what information is available now, I don't think the Trump ship is doomed or that the GOP thinks it is.

I hope they do. I'm a firm believer in government transparency, and I believe televised meetings and hearings are an important part of that.

Of course, Chuck and Nancy would be pissed if it is. They love the dark.

Well, that's an interesting concept.

But he has so much possible criminal and civil exposure throughout his family, associates, and org & foundation, from various departments and governmental entities, that I can't believe anyone can give him a pass for the whole mess.

But he has so much possible criminal and civil exposure throughout his family, associates, and org & foundation, from various departments and governmental entities, that I can't believe anyone can give him a pass for the whole mess.

What it took a lot of us over a year to fully appreciate is that the "I could shoot a guy on fifth ave" comment wasn't just a figure of speech.

Oh I think that's the biggest reason he doesn't want to go. I have a feeling his cost will be financial only. I think he's worried about that, thinks he can slide on all this. He probably can charges wise, but this is gonna cost him financially no matter what, he's holding on to some insane dream he can both avoid charges and profit financially. I really do think he's being pushed to resign and is holding out stubbornly. I don't think it will take much time for the Democratic house to hammer him into submission by subpoena.

Others have theorized he'd cut a deal to save his family. Mayeb Ivanka, but IDK if even that matters to King TangFace. I think his own ass and image is really all he cares about.

Oh I think that's the biggest reason he doesn't want to go. I have a feeling his cost will be financial only. I think he's worried about that, thinks he can slide on all this. He probably can charges wise, but this is gonna cost him financially no matter what, he's holding on to some insane dream he can both avoid charges and profit financially. I really do think he's being pushed to resign and is holding out stubbornly. I don't think it will take much time for the Democratic house to hammer him into submission by subpoena.

Others have theorized he'd cut a deal to save his family. Mayeb Ivanka, but IDK if even that matters to King TangFace. I think his own ass and image is really all he cares about.
Well from the Cohen plea allocution, it seems to me SDNY has little choice but to indict him once he leaves office.

Interesting that now during Trump's live monologue, he is now saying DACA is a good thing and most Republicans like it and want it!

How about that?

I bet Rush, Ann, and Laura, will remind him they don't like DACA.

Interesting that now during Trump's live monologue, he is now saying DACA is a good thing and most Republicans like it and want it!

How about that?

I can't bear to listen to him talk so I'll take your word for it. Yes, Miller and Coulter will deliver a big "Nope" to that idea.

I also wouldn't be too surprised if he's worried about Putin, say he doesn't get all those sanctions lifted, there could be a plutonium laced Big Mac in his near future.:roll:

Prolly serve him right if so. Disgusting as it is to feel that way, if it came to that, would probably be well deserved...:cool:

If a judge who could see the redactions said that Flynn "sold out his country", what do you think that judge (who is notably anti prosecution nonsense), would have to say to DJT in a sentencing hearing?

All the pro trump people so desperately want to believe this is all nothing, but put together all the bread criumbs and you get a pretty insurmountable mountain of "something is extremely fishy here", and consider what is redacted, if we knew that, based on that judges reaction, based on what happened to Cohen, and the appearence of "innocense" with regards to Trump is literally ludicrous.

Of course, Chuck and Nancy would be pissed if it is. They love the dark.
Not true at all. The last meeting was televised and they outmaneuvered Trump in front of an audience. It was reported that he was so mad that he kicked furniture.

We shall see ...
Sounds like a bit of political salesmanship. He is framing this as a national security issue. Now he is posturing that he is serious about it. He is briefing congressional leadership of the threat in the situation room implying that a military response may be coming.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Doesn't look like the shutdown will end anytime soon. On camera at a Cabinet meeting, Trump undercut his VP (again) and seemed surprised at a $2.5 billion compromise figure. He previously threw Pence under the bus on December 18 when he said he would sign a bill on border security for $1.6 billion that passed the Senate unanimously (100-0). The next day he reneged on that. On camera today, Trump said he would accept no less than his original demand of $5 billion.

Chuck and Nancy may as well do something more productive. Tomorrow, Dems will try to fund all of government except for Homeland Security (which includes Trumps $5 billion demand).

How about that?

Okay, my curiosity got the better of me and I'm listening to it. It's the typical free stream consciousness.

Back
Top Bottom