• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

President Trump, Democratic lawmakers brace for White House meeting on government shutdown

That's exactly why he should get nothing, unless the Dems extract their pound of flesh. He needs to see pulling-off this shenanigan leaves him in a worst place. For every penny I give him, I'd get two times more. Want more than the $1.3B? Then, cough-up DACA!
He has already said he is willing to sign a DACA bill. How important is DACA to the dems because he has already told them the price and they balked

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I can't bear to listen to him talk so I'll take your word for it. Yes, Miller and Coulter will deliver a big "Nope" to that idea.
Fair enough. But I think it might show there's room there. Or perhaps just as likely, Trump extemporaneously says stupid undisciplined things that he has to walk back.

Of course, Chuck and Nancy would be pissed if it is. They love the dark.
Actually Fox is reporting there's an electronic device black-out; no cell phones allowed.

Okay, my curiosity got the better of me and I'm listening to it. It's the typical free stream consciousness.
Haha!

Let's face it Cardinal, we're political junkies. I was this way since my paper-route! Sad to say ...

Haha!

Let's face it Cardinal, we're political junkies. I was this way since my paper-route! Sad to say ...

Aaaand I stopped. I have a relative who's a babbler like Trump. The exhausting thing about babblers is the certainty that if you just hang in there a little longer the babbler will arrive at some point, but that time never comes.

Sounds like a bit of political salesmanship. He is framing this as a national security issue. Now he is posturing that he is serious about it. He is briefing congressional leadership of the threat in the situation room implying that a military response may be coming.

Well that might be the formally stated purpose of the meeting. But I find it impossible to believe the shutdown does not get discussed. Also Fox just stated there's a cell-phone ban in place, so it would seem it's sadly going to be a closed door meeting.

He has already said he is willing to sign a DACA bill. How important is DACA to the dems because he has already told them the price and they balked

Are you speaking of the "DACA for the Wall" trade, last year? In February? I remember Trump as reneging there.

Well from the Cohen plea allocution, it seems to me SDNY has little choice but to indict him once he leaves office.

Deals made by the justice department would be top down. If you think politicians of both sides won't protect their own from actual prison time, then you're pretty naive I think. THe democrats want Trump gone, but IDK if any democrat deep down wants to see him jailed. They probably, much like cops, will be fine giving the guy a blanket pass criminally. Civilly is another matter and I think that's why he's being stubborn. He knows he's not worth much after this, and he can't face the ruin waiting.

Well that might be the formally stated purpose of the meeting. But I find it impossible to believe the shutdown does not get discussed. Also Fox just stated there's a cell-phone ban in place, so it would seem it's sadly going to be a closed door meeting.

Are you speaking of the "DACA for the Wall" trade, last year? In February? I remember Trump as reneging there.

Like I said I think its trump posturing that he intends to send the military to the border if they dont agree to certain security measures that he feels are needed. Jmo of course

Yes I am speaking of DACA being part of his 4 pillar plan. He did not reneg on it. They didnt include the things it needed to include for him to agree. Despite the popular belief that they offered him wall funding that's not even true. They offered him a promise to approve it later down the road for DACA now.

Source: (USA Today) President Trump, Democratic lawmakers brace for White House meeting on government shutdown

I think it's interesting that the White House is not calling this a "negotiation" meeting, but rather a "border security briefing for congressional leadership". And it's being held in the Situation Room, of all places.

Please excuse my skepticism, but after the last Trump-Pelosi-Schumer meeting, I'm a bit suspicions this "information session" will be a reality-show infomercial. Let's hope not.

So will it be a stunt? A substantive discussion? What will come out of it?

We shall see ...
I suspect he is going to show them exactly how we KNOW the caravan has more than 600 criminals in it. If they refuse to come to a compromise I imagine he will go to the public and provide evidence that serious violent criminals are using the caravan to get into the country. I imagine we have some under cover people in the caravan collection information.

If it were me I would have had the FBI secretly collecting finger prints a photos and identifying the criminals in the caravan. Can you imagine a few commercials of Nancy, Chuck, and Barrack from a few years back speaking against illegal immigration. Showing photos and criminal histories of some of the worst criminals in the caravan with some video of the attempts to rush the border. I'd have a Oval Office Talk with facts, data, and photos then I'd purchase advertising time on either side of the talk and run the commercials and encourage people to contact their representatives.

I suspect he is going to show them exactly how we KNOW the caravan has more than 600 criminals in it. If they refuse to come to a compromise I imagine he will go to the public and provide evidence that serious violent criminals are using the caravan to get into the country. I imagine we have some under cover people in the caravan collection information.

If it were me I would have had the FBI secretly collecting finger prints a photos and identifying the criminals in the caravan. Can you imagine a few commercials of Nancy, Chuck, and Barrack from a few years back speaking against illegal immigration. Showing photos and criminal histories of some of the worst criminals in the caravan with some video of the attempts to rush the border. I'd have a Oval Office Talk with facts, data, and photos then I'd purchase advertising time on either side of the talk and run the commercials and encourage people to contact their representatives.

I thought there were a bunch of middle eastern Moslem types in the caravan?.....Another fear mongering lie

Aaaand I stopped. I have a relative who's a babbler like Trump. The exhausting thing about babblers is the certainty that if you just hang in there a little longer the babbler will arrive at some point, but that time never comes.
He's a babbler because he works off of grandstanding and emotion, rather than succinct accurate logical points.

Did you notice how often he does not finish his sentences and thoughts? It's because he's leading to an inaccurate emotive point that can't be supported or sustained, so he then stops short of completing it, allowing the listener to experience the feeling of him having made the point.

It's the Roger Ailes technique of providing connection via emotive expression, where the emotive expression overrides the literal meaning or accuracy of the words spoken. It's often an effective technique, though it works better on some listeners than others, and of course on some it does not work at all.

I don't know if Trump does this consciously, or subconsciously. He was born a liar with a silver spoon in his mouth, and has lied and conned all his life from the earliest we know of him. It's possible this is just an innate part of his psyche.

Like I said I think its trump posturing that he intends to send the military to the border if they dont agree to certain security measures that he feels are needed. Jmo of course

Yes I am speaking of DACA being part of his 4 pillar plan. He did not reneg on it. They didnt include the things it needed to include for him to agree. Despite the popular belief that they offered him wall funding that's not even true. They offered him a promise to approve it later down the road for DACA now.

Well I don't remember the Dems agreeing on the other 2 immigration "pillars", so if you're saying it had to be a 3 for 1 deal, then I suppose that's accurate.

That's quite a theory that's a bit far-out for me, SLC.

I suspect Trump is doing this meeting like this to provide political cover for their private discussions.

Deals made by the justice department would be top down. If you think politicians of both sides won't protect their own from actual prison time, then you're pretty naive I think. THe democrats want Trump gone, but IDK if any democrat deep down wants to see him jailed. They probably, much like cops, will be fine giving the guy a blanket pass criminally. Civilly is another matter and I think that's why he's being stubborn. He knows he's not worth much after this, and he can't face the ruin waiting.
Yeah, but New York State & the IRS is on to him too. I just see his troubles as to comprehensive to be cut-off at a single choke-point.

Not true at all. The last meeting was televised and they outmaneuvered Trump in front of an audience. It was reported that he was so mad that he kicked furniture.

"reported" LOL!! Translation: Fake News. (surely you know that by now)

Those two were PISSED that last meeting. Nancy kept whining about it...on camera.

"reported" LOL!! Translation: Fake News. (surely you know that by now)

Those two were PISSED that last meeting. Nancy kept whining about it...on camera.

Why would Chuck and Nancy be pissed about this dumbosity.....

Donald J. Trump on 11 December 2018 said:
“I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you (Democrats) for it.”

Source: (USA Today) President Trump, Democratic lawmakers brace for White House meeting on government shutdown

I think it's interesting that the White House is not calling this a "negotiation" meeting, but rather a "border security briefing for congressional leadership". And it's being held in the Situation Room, of all places.

Please excuse my skepticism, but after the last Trump-Pelosi-Schumer meeting, I'm a bit suspicions this "information session" will be a reality-show infomercial. Let's hope not.

So will it be a stunt? A substantive discussion? What will come out of it?

We shall see ...

Will they actually send Mike Pence into the meeting this time, or is his cardboard replacement going to attend again?

I thought there were a bunch of middle eastern Moslem types in the caravan?.....Another fear mongering lie

Yeah, whatever happened to all of those middle Easterners that Trump told us were in the caravan?

Why would Chuck and Nancy be pissed about this dumbosity.....

I'll paraphrase Nancy, while she was sitting there clutching her hands together and while Chuck was trying to hunch his body until he couldn't be seen, "We should talk about this when the cameras aren't here".

the democrats already have a bill. the only one trump will get.

I'll paraphrase Nancy, while she was sitting there clutching her hands together and while Chuck was trying to hunch his body until he couldn't be seen, "We should talk about this when the cameras aren't here".

Post what Nancy really said. Paraphrasing?

Trump is proud to own this shutdown. No paraphrasing of him necessary. Chuck and Nancy told him not to do it. He did it anyway.

Live with real facts, not fake alt-right facts.

Honestly, I have no idea what Trump may do. He is too impetuous and lacking in judgment.

But I very much agree he got soundly spanked in the last televised meeting. I suspect he is still burning over that one, and will try to resolve it. Whether that is by coming across as a steady concerned and amiable leader, or as a bombastic attack dog, is anyone's guess. But whatever course he choses, it will be reality show acting that he believes will help him personally. It will have little to do with America's needs or well-being.

He wont accept a temp funding bill as he would look foolish. Rather late for that I would say. Its more about his ego than anything else at thats point. What a man child!! I am sure those Federal workers not receiving a pay check will commiserate. Its all about him and saving face at this point.

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/01/0...y-china/index.html?r=https://edition.cnn.com/

They should televise the meeting since we can't all be flies on the wall.

Actually I think besides using the Situation Room as prop. Because cameras are forbidden there Mulvaney would be able to ensure that there wouldn't be any chance of another Oval Office television debacle like the one happened last time Chuck and Nancy came calling and Trump got agitated went off-script and proclaimed to all of America that "he would be proud to shutdown the government".

Actually I think besides using the Situation Room as prop. Because cameras are forbidden there Mulvaney would be able to ensure that there wouldn't be any chance of another Oval Office television debacle like the one happened last time Chuck and Nancy came calling and Trump got agitated went off-script and proclaimed to all of America that "he would be proud to shutdown the government".

Not to mention the fact that the media now has the opportunity to "reportedly" push rumors.

Back
Top Bottom