• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

President Trump declines to rule out another shutdown

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
President Donald Trump on Sunday declined to rule out another government shutdown this month and threatened to declare a national emergency if a bipartisan committee negotiating over agency funding does not include money for his proposed border wall.

In a wide ranging Super Bowl Sunday interview with CBS, Trump also said he wants to keep U.S. troops in Iraq to “watch” Iran, disputed reports that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is considering a run for Senate and said he would steer his son, Barron, away from playing football because of the risk of concussions.

“I don't like to take things off the table. It's that alternative. It's national emergency, it's other things,” Trump told CBS’s Margaret Brennan. “We're going to have a strong border. And the only way you have a strong border is you need a physical barrier.”

Trump has threatened for weeks to declare a national emergency along the southwest border, a move that would allow him to redirect billions in military construction money for the wall. However, a presidential emergency declaration would almost certainly draw legal challenges and could be tied up in courts for years.

The president expected to heavily focus on immigration and his request for border wall funding during his State of the Union address on Tuesday night. White House aides have said the address will attempt to frame that and other issues in bipartisan terms.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...donald-trump-super-bowl-interview/2761271002/

I think where President is winning the hearts and minds of American citizens is that he cares about border security. It is a high priority for him. A lot of what The president is doing is maybe taking one or two steps back to make bigger long-terms moves that will benefit our country for the better. Short term pain for long term gains.

Rule #1 of diplomacy....you never take options off the table at the start of negotiations.

Rule #1 of diplomacy....you never take options off the table at the start of negotiations.

Even the bad ones, right?

Reporter 1: Mr. President.....if asked in order to secure funding for your desired wall, would you be willing to shoot yourself in the face?
President: Well, I won't take it off the table....we will just have to see how it goes.

Lets face something troubling for some people.....

Reality.....Trump is hoping like hell that he gets to declare a national emergency, but probably for different reasons than you think. He's hoping that once he does so, the whole thing gets tied up in court so he can tell his supporters, "See, I'm trying." Nevermind the fact that he probably doesn't care one way or the other if it actually gets built. Its the appearance that matters to him now, not the actual result.

Even the bad ones, right?

Reporter 1: Mr. President.....if asked in order to secure funding for your desired wall, would you be willing to shoot yourself in the face?
President: Well, I won't take it off the table....we will just have to see how it goes.

Exactly.

"Be Here Now"

Ram Dass
As we grow in our consciousness, there will be more compassion and more love, and then the barriers between people, between religions, between nations will begin to fall. Yes, we have to beat down the separateness.

Notice if you will how the Modern Morons drive in the opposite direction.

That happens because we are in a New Dark Age.

It really sucks make no mistake on that.

WE USED TO BE BETTER

Last edited:
Why i'm supportive of the border wall, i'm really hoping trump doesn't declare a national emergency; it wouldn't be good for anyone and it may possibly lay the ground work for impeachment.

It is all showmanship, with the SOTU right around the corner.

He'll do it. And he'll do it on the night of the SOTU in front of Pelosi. He's done three already. One more when it really counts will be no big deal. I bet it's done before the week is out.

Why i'm supportive of the border wall, i'm really hoping trump doesn't declare a national emergency; it wouldn't be good for anyone and it may possibly lay the ground work for impeachment.
Declaring a national emergency would be an exercise in futility. Lawsuits would hold up any construction and Trump would lose in the end anyways.

He'll do it. And he'll do it on the night of the SOTU in front of Pelosi. He's done three already. One more when it really counts will be no big deal. I bet it's done before the week is out.
I hope he does declare a national emergency during the SOTU address so he can see Pelosi’s condescending smile, like that of a parent who’s young child says “you’re not the boss of me!”.
D67F8F13-B04B-4A12-83D0-9D524E390CE7.jpg

Declaring a national emergency would be an exercise in futility. Lawsuits would hold up any construction and Trump would lose in the end anyways.

I hope he does declare a national emergency during the SOTU address so he can see Pelosi’s condescending smile, like that of a parent who’s young child says “you’re not the boss of me!”.
View attachment 67249613

You are probably right about Trump declaring the emergency and the reaction from the Courts. Trump does not care. He only wants to be able to go to his Trumpkins and claim he did all he could to build the wall as promised and he was stopped by others who screwed the American people.

Trump is the single worst president we have ever had and must be removed ASAP.

Please announce another shutdown during the state of the union speech. I want to see the looks on the faces of those on the R side of the aisle. Stunned amazement I would presume. If he does that, he might as well also announce he just gave complete control of the government to the dems come 2021.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...donald-trump-super-bowl-interview/2761271002/

I think where President is winning the hearts and minds of American citizens is that he cares about border security. It is a high priority for him. A lot of what The president is doing is maybe taking one or two steps back to make bigger long-terms moves that will benefit our country for the better. Short term pain for long term gains.

Which of the Americans beyond the 35-37% is he winning over with his wall?

Please announce another shutdown during the state of the union speech. I want to see the looks on the faces of those on the R side of the aisle. Stunned amazement I would presume. If he does that, he might as well also announce he just gave complete control of the government to the dems come 2021.

I would not be surprised. I think he should do it. Time to get rid of all the do nothing leaders. Fix our border security or get out of office and allow someone else to do it.

.... Time to get rid of all the do nothing leaders. Fix our border security or get out of office and allow someone else to do it.
How does Trump declaring another shutdown get rid of anyone?

How does Trump declaring another shutdown get rid of anyone?

If the government shuts down again the media will blame Trump and the republicans. Come elections it will hurt the republican party because we all know the media is not bias and only speaks the truth. Also the republicans had an opportunity to secure our border and enforce our laws. It is quite obvious they do not support the president in securing our border of enforcing our laws. It is clear they support the rich and powerful who exploit illegals and immigrants to use as cheap labor in this country. Plus it gives the employer the advantage in negotiating wages with all workers by have 10's of millions of people who will undermine everything our unions and parents fought for.

Last edited:
If the government shuts down again the media will blame Trump and the republicans. Come elections it will hurt the republican party because we all know the media is not bias and only speaks the truth. Also the republicans had an opportunity to secure our border and enforce our laws. It is quite obvious they do not support the president in securing our border of enforcing our laws. It is clear they support the rich and powerful who exploit illegals and immigrants to use as cheap labor in this country. Plus it gives the employer the advantage in negotiating wages with all workers by have 10's of millions of people who will undermine everything our unions and parents fought for.
A lot to sort through.
1. If Trump shuts the government down again, it will be his responsibility. There would be a lot of angry Americans as a result of it. They will blame Trump because he is the cause, and they’ll likely blame Republican leadership too for not talking him out of such a foolish and selfish thing. But I doubt that will happen. More likely that Trump will declare a national emergency which will accomplish nothing. No wall will be built until all the expected lawsuits are dealt with, if even then.

2. There’s no proof that Republicans (or Democrats) don’t want secure borders. The Republican Party hasn’t made a priority of securing the border because Trump’s hasn’t made that his priority for the last two years.

3. The illegals aren’t undermining anything. Those who employ the illegals are the ones cheating the system and the workers.

A majority of Americans are yes, for border security, but NO, not for a border wall. They like most people with a working brain know it is a 25 billion dollar boondoggle. It seems that trumpsters think that you have to have a border wall for security and that is a false premise.

Back
Top Bottom