• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

President Obama to Make Recess Appointment of CMS Administrator Rationing Expert

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
With Congress officially on recess, President Obama will on Wednesday use his ability to make recess appointments to name one of his more controversial nominees: Donald Berwick, nominee to be Administrator of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).

The April nomination of Berwick -- president and chief executive officer of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement -- was in trouble and might not have been able to meet Senate confirmation due to comments Berwick made in the past about rationing health care. Even if Berwick could have been confirmed by the Senate, Democrats have little appetite for another round of fighting about changes to the health care system, Democrats said.

In an interview last year with Biotechnology Healthcare, Berwick said society makes decisions about rationing all the time, and that the "decision is not whether or not we will ration care -- the decision is whether we will ration with our eyes open. And right now, we are doing it blindly."
President Obama to Make Recess Appointment of CMS Administrator Republicans Attacking as 'Expert on Rationing' - Political Punch

So the UHC drive marches on with a Rationing Expert at the helm who COULDN'T GET SEATED BY A DEM RUN HOUSE AND SENATE.

Did this have anything to do with the GOP blocking every single appointment?

Nah, couldn't be. Then there would be no reason to bitch and cry about Obama...

Nah, couldn't be. Then there would be no reason to bitch and cry about Obama...

Dems own the House and Senate, the GOP, well they can NOW in the Senate at least threaten to filibuster. But that's about it.

You see, that's the problem..... Barry didn't try to get him through the nomination process, that would have opened the horrible sound bites from this guy up to public exposure, can't have that!

You didn't care whent he Dems were blocking appt's. So crocadile tears are ignored sir.

They never did it as systematically as the GOP is. Furthermore you don't know what I thought back them, so stop pretending you do

You see, that's the problem..... Barry didn't try to get him through the nomination process, that would have opened the horrible sound bites from this guy up to public exposure, can't have that!

The GOP has been blocking almost every single appointment, why would this one be any different?

The GOP has been blocking almost every single appointment, why would this one be any different?

Got it.... you, just like this admin don't believe in the rule of law.

I wonder what Congress will have to say about this after vacation.

Got it.... you, just like this admin don't believe in the rule of law.

I wonder what Congress will have to say about this after vacation.

A recess appointment is perfectly legal, what's the rule of law issue?

Not in this case.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell accused Obama of trying to "arrogantly circumvent the American people" with Congress out of town for its annual July Fourth break. Berwick could serve through next year without Senate confirmation.

"Democrats haven't scheduled so much as a committee hearing for Donald Berwick but the mere possibility of allowing the American people the opportunity to hear what he intends to do with their health care is evidently reason enough for this administration to sneak him through without public scrutiny," said McConnell, R-Ky.

Senate Finance Chairman Max Baucus, D-Mont., whose committee would have held Berwick's confirmation hearing, also said he was troubled by the recess appointment. "Senate confirmation of presidential appointees is an essential process prescribed by the Constitution that serves as a check on executive power," said Baucus. Berwick was nominated in April, and Finance Committee staff was still at work on the vetting process it undertakes prior to scheduling a confirmation hearing

Link

So either the Dems were dragging their feet, or Obama jumped the gun. Take your pick.

More to the point, the man is right about rationing. We already ration healthcare in this country. All healthcare is rationed. Why is talking about it so upsetting?

More to the point, the man is right about rationing. We already ration healthcare in this country. All healthcare is rationed. Why is talking about it so upsetting?

So death panels were accurate?

I'd appreciate an answer... is this your second account Deuce or ??

You want an answer from him about those hyperbolic death panels, but you didn't answer his question which was:

Why is talking about it so upsetting?

I'm new here and don't know you, but do you always hold others to a higher standard than you have for yourself?

And, instead of parrotting silly Sarah Palin talking points, why don't you take the time to explain how healthcare isn't currently being rationed? kthnx.

Last edited:

Because the difference between Gov't Mandated rationing and what we have now is apples and oranges.

You want an answer from him about those hyperbolic death panels, but you didn't answer his question which was:

That question wasn't directed to me.

But I'll answer - talking about it isn't upsetting, which is why I'm asking the question if death panels was accurate. IF you were honest, you'd say "yes" it was accurate. Then we can have a discussion morally, legally and socially about why death panels are or are not a good thing. I'd just like to see a progressive finally admit it. The question "why is it so upsetting" isn't for me, it's for progressives and liberals who support Obama and this appointment. If it weren't upsetting I think progressives would simply come out and admit death panels are the future.

I'm new here and don't know you, but do you always hold others to a higher standard than you have for yourself?
I do when it's directed to me. Perhaps you should have noticed that the question wasn't to me - therefore why would I answer? I'll skip my smarmy slap down to you as you're new by your own admission.

And, instead of parrotting silly Sarah Palin talking points, why don't you take the time to explain how healthcare isn't currently being rationed? kthnx.
Apparently her silly talking point makes liberals and progressives nervous. So why don't you answer my question... in case you forgot:

Ockham said:
So death panels were accurate?

Got balls to answer it honestly with yes? Doubt it. If you're going to follow the standard left talking points without honesty here - I doubt we'll have much interaction going forward. I do require honest reply's and honest disagreement when I debate issues and I think I garnered respect from a few who disagree ideologically with me. In that respect, yes I hold my high standards to myself and to others. Welcome and enjoy DP.

That question wasn't directed to me.

But I'll answer - talking about it isn't upsetting, which is why I'm asking the question if death panels was accurate. IF you were honest, you'd say "yes" it was accurate.

You're right. I'm wrong. Liberals created death panels so we could kill Palin's granny and her retarded kid. I wish we'd hurry up and get to it. (Do I really need to insert a sarcasm emoticon here?)

Oh and FTR, I absolutely do not have balls unless you count my ex-husband's which I got in the divorce.

Last edited:
You're right. I'm wrong. Liberals created death panels so we could kill Palin's granny and her retarded kid. I wish we'd hurry up and get to it. (Do I really need to insert a sarcasm emoticon here?)

Thanks for not disappointing - you apparently cannot discuss the topic maturely - perhaps an insight into the failed marriage?

Oh and FTR, I absolutely do not have balls unless you count my ex-husband's which I got in the divorce.
Finally a tinge of honesty - you're divorced. Perhaps when you mature, you'll have something worth discussing.

Thanks for not disappointing - you apparently cannot discuss the topic maturely - perhaps an insight into the failed marriage?

How DARE you make such an assumption. And why on earth whould I attempt to try to have a mature discussion with someone who can't tell the difference between a "death panel" and end of life counseling?

Finally a tinge of honesty - you're divorced. Perhaps when you mature, you'll have something worth discussing.

You can shove your personal insults.

You should be asking Barry that question. He's the one that doesn't want anyone talking about health care reform. This recess appointment is about one thing... the desire to keep this man's radical ideas about healthcare and the health care reform bill in general away from the news. Republicans are demanding the committee hearings so that this man's views can be made public. They WANT to talk about health care reform.

If you haven't noticed, health care reform is rarely heard of these days and the Dems want to keep it that way. A significant majority of people still want it repealed and the number will continue to rise as its details come out.

That's not good for the Dems in November.

How DARE you make such an assumption. And why on earth whould I attempt to try to have a mature discussion with someone who can't tell the difference between a "death panel" and end of life counseling?

You're right - asking questions... how DARE I. :lamo

You can shove your personal insults.
My my... thin skinned aren't we? Again, you don't fail to disappoint. :2wave:

Back
Top Bottom