• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

President Obama shows up to casually threaten Britain, should they vote Brexit

cpwill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
That's sweet of him. What a great ally we are under this man.

President Obama’s warning to those championing Britain’s exit from the EU was stark: Leave, he said, and the “UK is going to be in the back of the queue” on trade deals with the U.S....

You ain't gonna be President, anymore, when that time comes, asshole.

For all the claims that Democrats made in 2008 about how George W Bush was so arrogant, that he went around lecturing other countries, etc.; at least he never tried to interfere with the elections of our allies. Yeesh.

I'm with Boris Johnson on this one:

For the United States to tell us in the UK that we must surrender control of so much of our democracy – it is a breathtaking example of the principle of do-as-I-say-but-not-as-I-do.

It is incoherent. It is inconsistent, and yes it is downright hypocritical. The Americans would never contemplate anything like the EU, for themselves or for their neighbours in their own hemisphere. Why should they think it right for us?

For all our cousins on the forum - my apologies. This is a decision for you, and we should be keeping our nose out, except to say that we will remain tight allies regardless of your choice.

Haha, but he insists he's not trying to influence the British Vote!!! How embarrassing for him. Whoever wrote in the script that he's not trying to influence the British vote should be fired.

That's sweet of him. What a great ally we are under this man.

You ain't gonna be President, anymore, when that time comes, asshole.

For all the claims that Democrats made in 2008 about how George W Bush was so arrogant, that he went around lecturing other countries, etc.; at least he never tried to interfere with the elections of our allies. Yeesh.

I'm with Boris Johnson on this one:

For all our cousins on the forum - my apologies. This is a decision for you, and we should be keeping our nose out, except to say that we will remain tight allies regardless of your choice.

So Johnson's "half-Kenyan" comment was ok by you? The President is supporting British government policy to stay in, while protecting America's interests. It's not an election, either.

So Johnson's "half-Kenyan" comment was ok by you?

.....Barack Obama's father was Kenyan.

Obama's occasional flashes of hostility to the UK has been discussed over here since 2009, when the first thing he did entering the White House was get rid of the bust of Churchill that was a gift from your government.

Allies dont have to agree 100% of the time....

Allies don't try to steer the elections of other allies. Americans pitched a fit in 2004 when Britons tried to organize letter-writing campaigns to swing the election in Ohio, and I can't blame any of them if they are just (if not more) as pissed off at us now.

This is a decision for the UK to make. Not us. It is both belittling and thuggish for us to come in and try to threaten them into voting one way or the other.

Allies don't try to steer the elections of other allies.
:lamo Netanyahu thinks thats funny...

This is a decision for the UK to make. Not us. It is both belittling and thuggish for us to come in and try to threaten them into voting one way or the other.

Look at his comments:
"Those championing that effort have repeatedly said Britain would negotiate on its own with the U.S. on trade agreements. Not so fast, Obama said.
“I think it’s fair to say that maybe some point down the line there might be a U.K.-U.S. trade agreement, but it’s not going to happen any time soon because our focus is in negotiating with a big bloc, the European Union, to get a trade agreement done,” he said. “The U.K. is going to be in the back of the queue.”

-You leave the EU America is still going to be wanting to be negotiating with the EU when it comes to economic trade deals mainly because the EU is a bigger piece of the world economy rather than just the UK alone. UK wont be priority number one when it comes to "free trade agreements". Call it whatever you want, call it "trying to swing an election" or call it "being pissed off", I think its simply called "potential policy repercussions".

I hardly see how he is 'threaten[ing]' the UK. If I were you, I'd be more up-in-arms over Obama blaming his State Dept's handling of Libya on Cameron, which even I was a bit miffed at. To be fair, the UK - ever since Blair - has effectively become a war state.

It's pretty much expected at this point, God forbid we upset the status quo.

The Brexit people and the American right are ****ting their pants at the moment.

Not only did Obama just tell the facts but it is facts that others have pointed out.. people from the IMF, World Bank, around Europe and the world, people with far far far more experience in international trade... but what did this honesty bring him? Racist and insulting comments by key people like Boris and Farage... disgusting. Of course their allies in the US, the US right wing fanatics will back them as we have seen in this thread so far.

Our President has been remarkably stupid. He has energized pro-Brexit voters.

Our President has been remarkably stupid. He has energized pro-Brexit voters.

Exactly the same thing happened in the Scottish independence vote, although they didn't win the vote they closed the gap considerably.

The Brexit people and the American right are ****ting their pants at the moment.

Not only did Obama just tell the facts but it is facts that others have pointed out.. people from the IMF, World Bank, around Europe and the world, people with far far far more experience in international trade... but what did this honesty bring him? Racist and insulting comments by key people like Boris and Farage... disgusting. Of course their allies in the US, the US right wing fanatics will back them as we have seen in this thread so far.

****ting our pants? Hardly Pete this campaign is just heating up and the more outsiders stick their nose in the more united the Brexit base becomes.

****ting our pants? Hardly Pete this campaign is just heating up and the more outsiders stick their nose in the more united the Brexit base becomes.

You support Brexit?

Allies dont have to agree 100% of the time....

True. They don't. But they don't go around insulting each other or sticking their noses in the other's business publicly either.

Seems both of those foreign relations behaviors are just missing in Obama.

I'll just post my thoughts from the other thread.

At the end of the day the British people will have the final say, not President Obama. It's unreasonable to expect that the leader of one of the most powerful Countries in the world would not have an opinion.

As a side note, a workmate of mine was whinging about this earlier. I reminded him that I could recall him praising Foreign Leaders, including Obama, for his comments during the independence referendum last year when he suggested Scotland should stay. He went quiet then. Funny about that. I guess it's ok for the President to have an opinion when it suits.

You support Brexit?

I do serenity. I think that our exit will actually not be as world ending as people think.

- we have our own currency
- immense buying power on the continent
- Military ties won't be affected
- We will maintain trade relationships with the EU but will be free to explore other avenues.

I just think it's time for a change.

Last edited:
I do serenity. I think that our exit will actually not be as world ending as people think.

- we have our own currency
- immense buying power on the continent
- Military ties won't be affected
- We will maintain trade relationships with the EU but will be free to explore other avenues.

I just think it's time for a change.

Not world ending for you folks, actually would solve a bundle of your problems right now. But for the rest of the EU nations, they'll lose their cash cow. The squeals will be heard worldwide for quite some time thereafter.

the US should stay out of it.

Not world ending for you folks, actually would solve a bundle of your problems right now. But for the rest of the EU nations, they'll lose their cash cow. The squeals will be heard worldwide for quite some time thereafter.

Thing is as well we always have and always will have strong ties to the continent that's just basic geography. We will continue to buy their products, prop up their tourist industry and vice versa. We just don't need to be restricted in how we do business. In our long successful history we have never been more restricted economically or politically than we are right now.
Also why should I support the EU when they seem to be so inept at handling any crisis. Be it refugees, Russian aggression or terrorism. Never seen any form of strong leadership from the EU which would make me support them.

obummer needs to mind his own business. All he is concerned about is pleasing his puppet masters that control him!

Bully for the London Mayor...Spot On!

LONDON MAYOR RIPS KENYAN OBAMA
'ANCESTRAL DISLIKE OF BRIT EMPIRE'

Boris Johnson suggests 'part-Kenyan' Obama may have 'ancestral dislike' of UK | UK Politics | News | The Independent
Hilarious actually.

Good old Boris, always good for a laugh whether he intends it or not.

If all things fail he can always switch to stand-up.

Back
Top Bottom