• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

President Obama shows up to casually threaten Britain, should they vote Brexit

That's sweet of him. What a great ally we are under this man.

You ain't gonna be President, anymore, when that time comes, asshole.

For all the claims that Democrats made in 2008 about how George W Bush was so arrogant, that he went around lecturing other countries, etc.; at least he never tried to interfere with the elections of our allies. Yeesh.

I'm with Boris Johnson on this one:

For all our cousins on the forum - my apologies. This is a decision for you, and we should be keeping our nose out, except to say that we will remain tight allies regardless of your choice.

It is indeed rare for an American Politician to get involved in the internal affairs of an ally.

But then the first family has the class of a sea slug.

For all the claims that Democrats made in 2008 about how George W Bush was so arrogant, that he went around lecturing other countries, etc.; at least he never tried to interfere with the elections of our allies. Yeesh.

For all our cousins on the forum - my apologies. This is a decision for you, and we should be keeping our nose out, except to say that we will remain tight allies regardless of your choice.

“I think it’s fair to say that maybe some point down the line there might be a U.K.-U.S. trade agreement, but it’s not going to happen any time soon because our focus is in negotiating with a big bloc, the European Union, to get a trade agreement done,” he said. “The U.K. is going to be in the back of the queue.”

Well, Mr. President, that's fine. However your legacy is going to be a bit of a garbage pile to figure out. You sell arms to Saudi Arabia with its human rights record, and finally get around to restoring relations with Cuba.

But when it comes to anally that has stood shoulder to shoulder with the US, you want to throw them out with the bathwater. That's not being an ally, that's being a big prick.

This is one time when Canada will NOT follow suit. The US may be our best friend, but Britain is our mother

Judging whats in some of those trade deals, the back of the que sounds like an incredibly favourable possition.

It is indeed rare for an American Politician to get involved in the internal affairs of an ally.

Actually it aint. Bush Jr, Sr, Clinton, Reagan and many others did it directly in public or behind the scenes.

Umm. While you call them 'cherry 57 Chevy's' I think they are far from that, given the miles they have driven, the complete lack of real spare parts and fabricated substituted parts. I saw on news coverage an old mid-50's Buick I think, into which they swapped a Mercedes engine when the original one died, because they could get Merc parts shipped in, but not US parts. So for the old car collector, there's nothing there there.

I didn't think of the rest of the story.

I love coming here. I learn stuff!

His popular image is a buffoon. His reference to the President's race as a reason for ancestral hate of Britain is as tendentious as his populist political meanderings.

In your opinion but not in mine. 'Kenyan' is not a 'race', btw, but how can one expect you to know that?

We've already seen how much respect President Obama has in the world. I think he put the coffin nail in the UK staying in the EU.

But then the first family has the class of a sea slug.

If you knew anything of diplomacy/foreign affairs you would know......as was reported.........the President would not have talked of the EU vote UNLESS he was specifically ask to do by the Prime Minister...........

I hope this will help

We've already seen how much respect President Obama has in the world. I think he put the coffin nail in the UK staying in the EU.
We'll see. Britons like him more than visa versa. He may be effective.

DATELINE: February, 2017...President Trump flew to the UK today and told all Britians...QUOTE...."Your English POUNDS are welcome and will always be welcome as investments between our two countires will continue to grow in mutual benefitting financial arrangements and business ventures we share together."

"Your decision to get out of the EU and go back to the tried and true English pound over the unstable Euro, came just in time".

If you knew anything of diplomacy/foreign affairs you would know......as was reported.........the President would not have talked of the EU vote UNLESS he was specifically ask to do by the Prime Minister...........

I hope this will help

Then he's even dumber. Never take sides in a dispute in a foreign country, there is no 'win' I thought he had matured in the last eight years but he's still a babe in the woods

Haha, but he insists he's not trying to influence the British Vote!!! How embarrassing for him. Whoever wrote in the script that he's not trying to influence the British vote should be fired.

Cameron did ask him to give his opinion.

Then he's even dumber. Never take sides in a dispute in a foreign country, there is no 'win' I thought he had matured in the last eight years but he's still a babe in the woods

Never take sides in a dispute in a foreign country????????

Do you have so much as a quasi-vague awareness of how often the US takes sides in disputes ...?

The POTUS merely injected some reality into the debate. The Brexiters would have us believe that the future is bright if we leave, with countries flocking to trade with us on as good if not better terms than we have at present. We'll also be rid of all those complicated health and safety regulations, union rights, and human rights too!
Utopia!

Allies dont have to agree 100% of the time....

True, however this issue is none of our business.

If the UK wants to leave the tyranny of the European Union, Obungle has no place in telling them how to vote. And threatening them just makes the situation worse.

The POTUS merely injected some reality into the debate. The Brexiters would have us believe that the future is bright if we leave, with countries flocking to trade with us on as good if not better terms than we have at present. We'll also be rid of all those complicated health and safety regulations, union rights, and human rights too!
Utopia!

So you like the idea of some unelected asshat in Brussels telling your nation's leaders what they can and cannot do?
You hate the idea of sovereignty that much?

So you like the idea of some unelected asshat in Brussels telling your nation's leaders what they can and cannot do?

Considering that does not happen, then... no one in Brussels can tell any nation's/members leaders what they can and can not do. At best they can point out their treaty obligations... and recommend to the other member states that action should be taken.

Not sure how much of an involvement in British internal affairs this is. I mean this move will certainly affect every single nation on this planet, the US more than most of them. He's looking out for American interests. However IMO he's quite mistaken to do so, he must know that this will only be used to unite against his position as Brexiters can use the opportunity to suggest that foreign factions such as the US oppose it because it promotes UK national interests over theirs, and thus it is the interest of the average British citizen to support exiting the EU.

Not sure how much of an involvement in British internal affairs this is. I mean this move will certainly affect every single nation on this planet, the US more than most of them. He's looking out for American interests. However IMO he's quite mistaken to do so, he must know that this will only be used to unite against his position as Brexiters can use the opportunity to suggest that foreign factions such as the US oppose it because it promotes UK national interests over theirs, and thus it is the interest of the average British citizen to support exiting the EU.

I heard the passages of the interview concerning the Administration's position on the British referendum's outcome. I am not at all a supporter of Obama nor am I sure that the American President entering this fray will be helpful. I was, however, surprised how well he presented without the usual populism my position on the matter. He did leave out the very real dangers and disadvantages of the EU to its members, but the crucial points were there.

I am with you that his involvement6has angereda coupleof people. But having heard the relevant passages of the interview, i think he presented the reasons for staying in much better than any of the EU lobbyists have, that i have seen. He is spot on.

They don't. Sovereignty is an illusion we are all beholden to the corpocracy.

Of course not. The president is a complete doofus in foreign policy. Look at how he was "picking sides" in Syria in order to help ISIS.

I did not see him or hear him threatening anybody. He just clearly says what the consequences can be of leaving the EU. To come out like that with this information might be a bit tough to hear by the leave camp but that is hardly a threat.

I did not see him or hear him threatening anybody. He just clearly says what the consequences can be of leaving the EU. To come out like that with this information might be a bit tough to hear by the leave camp but that is hardly a threat.
Sure, sure, I'm just sayin, you know, it's a nice economy you got here. Sure would, you know, be a shame if something were to.... happen.... to it.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom