• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

President Obama inspires black politicians to seek office

How many black republicans will get elected in Nov

• Total voters

Compatibilist

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I posted something similar to this in reply to someone in another thread. Thought it was important enough for separate discussion.

The typical view from the outside based on misinformation and propaganda is that there is no place for african americans in the republican party. Historically... the reason few blacks get elected as republicans is because so few run... and many are considered "turncoats" if they do run.

Novemeber could be the begining of changing all that. Obama has apparently inspired black politicians to seek office... REPUBLICAN office!

Here is a list of black Republican candidates in 2010:

Candidates for the Senate

•Marion Thorpe, Florida
•Larry Linney, North Carolina
•Michael Williams, Texas

Candidates for Congress

•Lester Phillip, Alabama’s 5th District
•Princella Smith, Arkansas’s 1st District
•Vernon Parker, Arizona’s 3rd District
•Virginia Fuller,California’s 7th District
•Star Parker, California’s 37th District
•Chrystopher Smith, California’s 39th District
•Mason Weaver, California’s 53rd District
•Ryan Frazier, Colorado’s 7th District
•Prince Brown, Florida’s 8th District
•Eddie Adams, Florida’s 11th District
•Corey Poitier, Florida’s 17th District
•Allen West, Florida’s 22nd District
•Deon Long, Florida’s 24th District
•Cory Ruth, Georgia’s 4th District
•Deborah Honeycutt, Georgia’s 13th District
•Rupert Parchment, Georgia’s 13th District
•Isaac Hayes, Illinois’s 2nd District
•Robert Broadus, Maryland’s 4th District
•Charles Lollar, Maryland’s 5th District
•Bill Hardiman, Michigan’s 3rd District
•Angela McGlowan, Mississippi’s 1st District
•Barb Davis White, Minnesota’s 5th District
•Martin Baker, Missour;s 1st District
•Shannon Wright, New Jersey’s 6th District
•Michael Faulkner,New York’s 15th District
•Jerry Grimes, North Carolina’s 1st District
•Lou Huddleston, North Carolina’s 8th District
•Bill Randall, North Carolina’s 13th District
•Jean Howard-Hill, Tennessee’s 3rd District
•Charlotte Bergmann, Tennessee’s 9th District
•William Hurd, Texas’s 23rd District
•Stephen Broaden, Texas’s 30th District
•Coby Dillard, Virginia’s 3rd District

Anyone Care to guess how many will get elected?

Obama inspires black politicians to seek office

This is the kind of affirmative action crap that hurts America. The only candidates that deserve to win from the list above are the ones who sway the least from conservative principles.

This is the kind of affirmative action crap that hurts America. The only candidates that deserve to win from the list above are the ones who sway the least from conservative principles.

I don't believe you could call this affirmative action... more like educated blacks realizing which party has thier best overall interest covered. I think they see an opportunity and are stepping up to the plate so others can become enlightened too. Traditionally the dems have kept a significant number of all minorities dependent on govt services and entitlements. No one [of any race] can have real success when they continue to look for govt assistance for the basic necessities.

Your article is a bit out of date. Larry Linney for North Carolina already lost the primaries and I'm sure a number of those other candidates are in the same situation (I just didn't want to take the time to look them all up). Nonetheless a few black republican Congressmen would be good for the US and might begin to show a more color-blind politics as one's skin color no longer is also one's voting bloc.

Your article is a bit out of date. Larry Linney for North Carolina already lost the primaries and I'm sure a number of those other candidates are in the same situation (I just didn't want to take the time to look them all up). Nonetheless a few black republican Congressmen would be good for the US and might begin to show a more color-blind politics as one's skin color no longer is also one's voting bloc.

Thanks for Heads up... I did overlook the date. The following is dated July 8th. According to this source there are still 32 GOP Afro Americans running in Nov

http://politisite.com/2010/07/08/32-conservative-african-americans-are-running-for-congress/

Senate candidates:
Marion Thorpe, Florida
Larry Linney, North Carolina
Michael Williams, Texas

Congressional candidates:
Lester Phillip, Alabama’s 5th District
Princella Smith, Arkansas’s 1st District
Vernon Parker, Arizona’s 3rd District
Virginia Fuller,California’s 7th District
Star Parker, California’s 37th District
Chrystopher Smith, California’s 39th District
Mason Weaver, California’s 53rd District
Ryan Frazier, Colorado’s 7th District
Eddie Adams, Florida’s 11th District
Corey Poitier, Florida’s 17th District
Allen West, Florida’s 22nd District
Deon Long, Florida’s 24th District
Cory Ruth, Georgia’s 4th District
Deborah Honeycutt, Georgia’s 13th District
Rupert Parchment, Georgia’s 13th District
Isaac Hayes, Illinois’s 2nd District
Robert Broadus, Maryland’s 4th District
Charles Lollar, Maryland’s 5th District
Bill Hardiman, Michigan’s 3rd District
Angela McGlowan, Mississippi’s 1st District
Martin Baker, Missouri’s 1st District
Shannon Wright, New Jersey’s 6th District
Michael Faulkner,New York’s 15th District
Jerry Grimes, North Carolina’s 1st District
Lou Huddleston, North Carolina’s 8th District
Bill Randall, North Carolina’s 13th District
Tim Scott, South Carolina’s 3rd District
Jean Howard-Hill, Tennessee’s 3rd District
Charlotte Bergmann, Tennessee’s 9th District
Stephen Broaden, Texas’s 30th District
David Castillo, Washington’s 3rd District

===============================

Yes I believe it would be good for the country to have more racial diversity within GOP. I would think dems are a little concerned with this movement since it could lead to a wake up call for many other black americans. Since none are running in my state... I haven't researched any of their backgrounds or beliefs. Don't think anything negative can result from this unless ZERO win...

I don't believe you could call this affirmative action... more like educated blacks realizing which party has thier best overall interest covered. I think they see an opportunity and are stepping up to the plate so others can become enlightened too. Traditionally the dems have kept a significant number of all minorities dependent on govt services and entitlements. No one [of any race] can have real success when they continue to look for govt assistance for the basic necessities.

If it's not about affirmative action, or even Hyphenated Americanism, then why did you fail to mention the morals and principles they bring to the Republican Party? For example, I informed a friend about Herman Cain because of the substance he brings to AM radio with the intelligent thinker movement. Not one time did I ever think to tell my friend he was black. How insulting would it be if I was a fan of his show just because I needed to listen to a black radio talk show host? That would be just as bad as the race pimping the liberals had to do to get Obama elected. I also guarantee that some of the candidates are nothing but RINO's. So I think it's safe to say that not all of them are running because of the reasons you listed.

I find all the affirmative action talk silly. However, why would skin color matter?

I find all the affirmative action talk silly. However, why would skin color matter?

So insecure Republicans can claim the party is not racist. :coffeepap

Shouldn't matter

I'd say their chances are very poor unless the RNC has embraced them. Don't know the answer that. In recent history, we've only had four African-American senators -- three Democrats, one Republican. Right now we have 42 African-American representatives -- all of them are Democrats. They make up, all together, 7.8% of Congress....while they make up 15% of our population. http://www.senate.gov/CRSReports/crs-publish.cfm?pid=&0BL)PL;=

It'll be interesting to see what happens. But it wouldn't surprise me at all of none of them did.

^ Actually African Americans only make up 12.4% of population... and I agree that race shouldn't matter. However, the reality of the situation is... that it does. Libs continually play the race card at any opportunity regardless if it's valid or not. Therfore, it's finally time for ALL Americans, of all origins to be embraced by the GOP. If you consider race an issue then latinos have the best case for unfair numbers based on demographics. It's pitiful that the dems currently have the overwhelming majority of minorities in their ranks. Since repubs have all Americans best interest at heart... it's now time for the people to understand this. So if getting black repubs elected will help, so be it.

how have dems 'kept' a significant number of minorities dependent?

You asked for it, here it is...

Dems have always been the party promoting entitlements and social welfare.

Anyone whose studied recent us history knows that during the 60's the Dems realized they needed to attract afican americans to the party. As a result their campaigns concentrated on eliminating the societal infringement on the civil rights of minorities, but the main focus was on blacks for their probable ability to unite their vote. Also, dems understood that most black social problems were caused mainly by segregation, unemployment and financial insecurity. In an effort to gain and keep the "Black Vote"... dems instituted the Civil Rights Act AND increased the amount of social welfare funding to urban areas. These laws did help the social distrust and provided blacks with some hope that [with government assist] they would one day have the same success opportunities as whites.

Further study of our history reveals that dems used govt assistance as an enticement to gain black votes, and at the same time worked to keep blacks in poverty. This was described by Obama as “plantation politics” in his book "Dreams From My Father". As a result of the politics of poverty used by dems, this belief is now deep seeded in poor black communities. In essence, the government must “do something” for blacks. Dems have been active to the point where they now have political control over poor black neighborhoods... This began in the 1960's and is why they get 90% of their vote today. But that hasn't always been the case... At one point in our history, almost all blacks were repubs because the GOP was the anti-slavery party and has since been the party of freedom and equality for blacks. When polled, most blacks share the values of the Republican Party in that they are very conservative and do NOT agree with liberal values that supports same-sex marriage, partial-birth abortion and banning God from public schools...etc. In order to keep blacks from voting along these lines, Dems preach hate and racism against the GOP and get many blacks to vote AGAINST repubs, rather than vote FOR Dems. The message libs give to poor blacks is reprehensible. If you're poor, uneducated and vote dem, we will liberate you. If you get a good education, get a good job and vote GOP, you will be “acting white”, or “uncle tom”...etc

In case you didn't know... over 60 million Americans are dependent on the government for housing, food, and health care. According to a recent study... 90 percent of black children will be clients of the national Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP/Food Stamps) at least once by the time they turn 20.... and 61% of those who receive AFDC are non white.

AFP: Half of US kids depend on food stamps during childhood: study

Last edited:
It's almost certain that at least one of them will win, since Tim Scott already won the primary in a very conservative district. On the other hand, it's pretty much unthinkable that more than 5 of them would win. So 1-5 is the only option that makes any sense.

Wonderful post obamanator. Hopefully more blacks are waking up to the truth about the democratic party and the republican party.
I voted 6-10. I would have voted higher had I looked at the list first.
This is a day in history. A day when someone pointed out something good that has come out of the election of Barack Obama. Go OBAMA!!!

So insecure Republicans can claim the party is not racist. :coffeepap

Shouldn't matter
The Republican party isn't racist. The Dems just want to paint them that way, so blacks won't come over to the right side. Maybe the tide has turned.
You're right, it shouldn't matter.
So why does skin color matter so much to the Dems?

The Republican party isn't racist. The Dems just want to paint them that way, so blacks won't come over to the right side. Maybe the tide has turned.
You're right, it shouldn't matter.
So why does skin color matter so much to the Dems?

I know the party's not racist, but I think too many people worry about it being labeled as such (or certain areas of the party), that they dig a bigger hole by trying to defend it staunchly.

Richard Nixon got one thing right at least: a great way to defeat your opponent or his views is to not even acknowledge them as relevant.

I know the party's not racist, but I think too many people worry about it being labeled as such (or certain areas of the party), that they dig a bigger hole by trying to defend it staunchly.

Richard Nixon got one thing right at least: a great way to defeat your opponent or his views is to not even acknowledge them as relevant.

It's to bad he didn't follow his own advice... I believe he would have went down in history as a damn good president.

You asked a question and answer was given. You obviously didn't want to hear truth and probably don't have worthy reply. but thats ok... I understand. BTW two more of your lib heros [kerry/rangel] haven proven themselves hypocrites with regards to advocating wealthy pay higher taxes as long as they don't pay themselves.

Last edited:
You asked for it, here it is...

Dems have always been the party promoting entitlements and social welfare.

Anyone whose studied recent us history knows that during the 60's the Dems realized they needed to attract afican americans to the party. As a result their campaigns concentrated on eliminating the societal infringement on the civil rights of minorities, but the main focus was on blacks for their probable ability to unite their vote. Also, dems understood that most black social problems were caused mainly by segregation, unemployment and financial insecurity. In an effort to gain and keep the "Black Vote"... dems instituted the Civil Rights Act AND increased the amount of social welfare funding to urban areas. These laws did help the social distrust and provided blacks with some hope that [with government assist] they would one day have the same success opportunities as whites.

Further study of our history reveals that dems used govt assistance as an enticement to gain black votes, and at the same time worked to keep blacks in poverty. This was described by Obama as “plantation politics” in his book "Dreams From My Father". As a result of the politics of poverty used by dems, this belief is now deep seeded in poor black communities. In essence, the government must “do something” for blacks. Dems have been active to the point where they now have political control over poor black neighborhoods... This began in the 1960's and is why they get 90% of their vote today. But that hasn't always been the case... At one point in our history, almost all blacks were repubs because the GOP was the anti-slavery party and has since been the party of freedom and equality for blacks. When polled, most blacks share the values of the Republican Party in that they are very conservative and do NOT agree with liberal values that supports same-sex marriage, partial-birth abortion and banning God from public schools...etc. In order to keep blacks from voting along these lines, Dems preach hate and racism against the GOP and get many blacks to vote AGAINST repubs, rather than vote FOR Dems. The message libs give to poor blacks is reprehensible. If you're poor, uneducated and vote dem, we will liberate you. If you get a good education, get a good job and vote GOP, you will be “acting white”, or “uncle tom”...etc

In case you didn't know... over 60 million Americans are dependent on the government for housing, food, and health care. According to a recent study... 90 percent of black children will be clients of the national Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP/Food Stamps) at least once by the time they turn 20.... and 61% of those who receive AFDC are non white.

AFP: Half of US kids depend on food stamps during childhood: study
so....it it the dems fault that NEARLY HALF of all U.S. children will eat meals provided by food stamps, or are they just responsible for the BLACK CHILDREN having to use them??

so....it it the dems fault that NEARLY HALF of all U.S. children will eat meals provided by food stamps, or are they just responsible for the BLACK CHILDREN having to use them??

YES... stupid question... stupid answer.

You're good at q's but do you have a's?? We're all resourceful americans and [other than emergencies] don't need fed gov help with basic needs. I currently have 2 disadvantaged friends and both eat very well at salv army and united way kitchens... and I've been there myself as a young kid in early 20's. Have you ever tried them as a visitor or volunteer? I've voluntered/contributed and was happy to do it... when I had extra time and money. Churches also do well in this area. Dems don't have enough faith in the charity of americans which is one of the things that has made our county great. Dems solution is to throw tax money at problems. Feds should back off and let people help one another without govt intervention. Entitlements keep people dependent on others... kinda like an extension of slavery.

Back on topic... newly elected black GOP will be a major step in right direction. I hope they kick dems asses in nov.

Back
Top Bottom